Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Meat On Lenten Fridays: A Mortal Sin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doug View Post

All of them who partake in such behavior.
    Hi Doug,

So you seem to have nobody.

-Ray-

The Good News is that Jesus Christ died and rose for our sins so that we might be saved.

Comment

Going to go with the made up line of "when Jesus Christ called those who follow Him out of Catholicism they immediately became stupid regarding the Catholic rules of Lent." Yeah, go for it!
      Are you saying, I'm wrong? Fasting and abstinence are two different things and you are saying that pigging out on fish is somehow not abstinence.

Gluttony is a sin, for any who practice such, but having a lobster dinner, is not a sin.
      Bring together all who wander from the feast you consecrate,
      and restore that grace we squander with divisions we create.

Comment

Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

Maybe legalism isn't the correct word, maybe burden?

When i look at catholicism, i don't see an easy yoke or a light load. I see burdens heaped upon its followers. Lent is but one example.
        I suppose one could look at it as a burden. Yet at the same time, parents give children responsibilities for their growth and maturity. When they don't live up to them, there are consequences.

What is the heavy burden you see? It basically comes down to feeling a little hungry on two days and not eating meat on 8 particular days? Not much of a burden in my book, but when approached with the spirit of love and a desire to grow spiritually it could serve a purpose if one chooses to let it. It's all about our hearts.

If you replace your meat, with simple meals of soup and bread for example, you may find you grow more then if you replace your meat with lobster (although I've never had lobster, so can't say for sure).

Take my decision to run through the drive-thru on Ash Wednesday for my kids. Trust me when I say my youngest would rather have had a kid's meal with a soda, burger/nuggets and the cheap toy, but instead was asked to eat a fish sandwich that he doesn't really care for with water.

He and I had a chat about being thankful for having an abundance of food, learning to follow authority, and how Jesus fed the five thousand with just two fish and five loaves of bread.

Was it life altering for him? No. But it was a teaching moment on gratitude, not having a complaining heart, and a miracle performed by our Lord.

So, maybe to you that was a burden for him, to me it was a good few minutes to teach, that might have been missed if it hadn't been Ash Wednesday and I'd just grabbed a happy meal.

Comment

Originally posted by DMBD View Post

Catholics do! I come from a midwest town that was mostly catholic. Yes, restaurants catered to those fasting days. It was money in the bank.
          Wow, they catered for two "fasting" days where there are many who are not under the requirement to fast because of age, health, pregnancy etc.

They also catered to a whole population who are not Catholic, who happen to enjoy fish and love that there were specials offered on that day.

Sounds like a win win for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by utilyan View Post
            I'm sure there are plenty of horrible examples of Catholic leadership, I'm not accepting any change in theology they might insist.

In short two wrongs don't make a right. A Nazi pushing his theory of "FAITH ALONE" simply not going to fly with me.
            The point of what I posted was to demonstrate that if Luther's harsh attitude towards the Jews is a proof that Luther's theology is invalid, then similarly, Rome's theology is invalid in their hatred of Lutherans as presented in Decet Romanum. This is according to the standard you have set: hatred as a defining standard of truth, as part of your, "whole package."

Here's how I like to present my worldview. If an argument I'm making also works against my own position, it's not a valid argument. Similarly, go ahead and make arguments for Rome, defend your worldview. But always ask yourself: does the argument or point i'm making apply to my own position? If it does, you've refuted yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Atemi View Post

If your sect leaders actually believed you felt that way, they would not have to THREATEN you to do it...or else.

LOL!

But even your Masters know Catholics don't buy their own baloney.

The Pharisees said the same thing.

My favorite is "Don't you love God?"

LOL. The manipulation is endless.

And this is why devout Catholics provide themselves so many personally created dispensations.....because they are devout Catholics after all.

What a joke of a religion.

The only joke of a religion is Christian fundamentalism.

Comment

Originally posted by mica View Post
                disobedience to your man made church and its man made rules / laws. It isn't of God, nor are its self made rules.
                So the Bible teaches that we can disobey our leaders? Where does the Bible teach that?

Col 2 -

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days
                Last I checked, no one is judging us. Paul's concern is a false humility and a false worship.

Comment

Originally posted by DMBD View Post

During the whole lent season.
                  Hi DMBD,

There are only 2 days that require fasting; Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Let us pray for one another and love one another.
                  -Ray-

The Good News is that Jesus Christ died and rose for our sins so that we might be saved.

Comment

All of them who partake in such behavior.
                    Hi Doug,

I claim no one who is required to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday go to an all you can eat fish fry and have more than one helping.

-Ray-

Comment

Originally posted by relling View Post
                      I claim no one who is required to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday go to an all you can eat fish fry and have more than one helping.
                      Where does your catechism say anything about having "more than one helping"?

Who are you to judge what constitutes a full meal for another?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Romishpopishpapist View Post
                        So the Bible teaches that we can disobey our leaders?
                        Yes! And even REMOVE them if they are wicked.

Only those of the cult mind argue that sect leaders have "unquestioned authority" and must be obeyed no matter what they tell you to do or believe.

Idiocy. Who is so stupid as to fall for that?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Kat4life View Post
                          I suppose one could look at it as a burden. Yet at the same time, parents give children responsibilities for their growth and maturity.
                          Our Heavenly Father nowhere tells His children they must fast on certain days of the year....or else!

When they don't live up to them, there are consequences.
                          The threat of Hell forever.....because your Masters know you won't do it otherwise.

LOL.

What is the heavy burden you see?
                          The wicked lie of "do this....or else!"

Not much of a burden in my book, but when approached with the spirit of love and a desire to grow spiritually it could serve a purpose if one chooses to let it. It's all about our hearts.
                          You have no choice. You have a gun to your head.

So no spiritual growth or love there....at all.

Only a lie...and those who defend such lies.

If you replace your meat, with simple meals of soup and bread for example, you may find you grow more then if you replace your meat with lobster (although I've never had lobster, so can't say for sure).
                          You just made that up. Where does your catechism teach that?

Nowhere. You are making up your own religion on the fly. LOL.

Trust me when I say my youngest would rather have had a kid's meal with a soda, burger/nuggets and the cheap toy, but instead was asked to eat a fish sandwich that he doesn't really care for with water.
                          If he would rather have a kid's meal, there is no spiritual growth and no love anywhere in there. Mommy says he has to....or else.

You threaten your kids like your wicked Masters threaten you.

So, maybe to you that was a burden for him, to me it was a good few minutes to teach, that might have been missed if it hadn't been Ash Wednesday and I'd just grabbed a happy meal.
                          You taught him nothing but that Catholicism makes up stuff. You taught him dead religion.

Comment

Originally posted by James Swan View Post

The point of what I posted was to demonstrate that if Luther's harsh attitude towards the Jews is a proof that Luther's theology is invalid, then similarly, Rome's theology is invalid in their hatred of Lutherans as presented in Decet Romanum. This is according to the standard you have set: hatred as a defining standard of truth, as part of your, "whole package."

Here's how I like to present my worldview. If an argument I'm making also works against my own position, it's not a valid argument. Similarly, go ahead and make arguments for Rome, defend your worldview. But always ask yourself: does the argument or point i'm making apply to my own position? If it does, you've refuted yourself.
                            "Luther's harsh attitude towards the Jews is a proof that Luther's theology is invalid,"

First it absolutely is Invalid because he calls it his theology. Hate the Jews as he does, embrace the entire theology of faith alone.

Let me give you some ground as there is "Luther's theology" vs "Lutheran theology".

"The point of what I posted was to demonstrate that if Luther's harsh attitude towards the Jews is a proof that Luther's theology is invalid, then similarly, Rome's theology is invalid in their hatred of Lutherans as presented in Decet Romanum."

I agree if ROME is putting out NEW theology. And in a case they TRIED it would be a internal war. I don't cease to be catholic. I don't give up and abandon the family.

"If an argument I'm making also works against my own position, it's not a valid argument."

I totally agree. Which is why this works just fine. Nothing new is being claimed.

The entire Church can decide to murder all they can tomorrow. And you can have a papal bull 50 feet long saying they are going to do it. I can be labelled heretic.

None of those things change church teaching. The clergy are not gods over laity. And the smallest unit of christian will always be the Saint himself.

When you know the truth and the guy in front of you is a flat out liar, how may opinions need to be made to convince you that the TRUTH is not so? He can have all the opinions, you already know the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Atemi View Post

Where does your catechism say anything about having "more than one helping"?

Who are you to judge what constitutes a full meal for another?

Hi Atemi,

I don't judge.
                              BTW, the specific guidelines for fasting in the United States is made by the USCCB.

-Ray-

Comment

Originally posted by utilyan View Post
                                "Luther's harsh attitude towards the Jews is a proof that Luther's theology is invalid,"

First it absolutely is Invalid because he calls it his theology. Hate the Jews as he does, embrace the entire theology of faith alone.

Let me give you some ground as there is "Luther's theology" vs "Lutheran theology".

"The point of what I posted was to demonstrate that if Luther's harsh attitude towards the Jews is a proof that Luther's theology is invalid, then similarly, Rome's theology is invalid in their hatred of Lutherans as presented in Decet Romanum."

I agree if ROME is putting out NEW theology. And in a case they TRIED it would be a internal war. I don't cease to be catholic. I don't give up and abandon the family.

"If an argument I'm making also works against my own position, it's not a valid argument."

I totally agree. Which is why this works just fine. Nothing new is being claimed.

The entire Church can decide to murder all they can tomorrow. And you can have a papal bull 50 feet long saying they are going to do it. I can be labelled heretic.

None of those things change church teaching. The clergy are not gods over laity. And the smallest unit of christian will always be the Saint himself.

When you know the truth and the guy in front of you is a flat out liar, how may opinions need to be made to convince you that the TRUTH is not so? He can have all the opinions, you already know the truth.
                                you should check the writings of those catholics call their 'ecfs'. they're full of hatred for Jews.

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

Working...
                                X