Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Meat On Lenten Fridays: A Mortal Sin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by relling View Post
    Hi Atemi,

I don't judge.
    BTW, the specific guidelines for fasting in the United States is made by the USCCB.

Let us pray for one another and love one another.
    following rules of men, not God.

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

Originally posted by mica View Post
      following rules of men, not God.

Hi Mica,

I don't trust your ability to see the difference so to each his own.

Let us pray for one another and love one another.
      -Ray-

The Good News is that Jesus Christ died and rose for our sins so that we might be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by utilyan View Post

When you know the truth and the guy in front of you is a flat out liar, how may opinions need to be made to convince you that the TRUTH is not so? He can have all the opinions, you already know the truth.
        I suspect you may not be understanding me. Perhaps I was not clear. Let me try again.

You can argue Luther was negatively this or that, and you can claim the Roman church is positively this or that. However, if the negative thing you're arguing against Luther also applies to your own position, it's not a valid argument. It's the same sort of thing going on now in the United States. The Democrats are saying this or that person is a "racist," yet it's a double standard because the Democratic party is also making racist statements.

The Roman church made similar awful statements against a group of people (The "Lutherans"). Therefore: Luther and the Roman church are BOTH guilty of racist hate filled statements against people they did not like and wanted to suppress. Should we take this further and bringiup Rome's history against the Jews at this point?

"The early Roman pontiffs of the sixteenth century had Jewish physicians and were favorable to the Jews and the Maranos of their states. Time soon came, however, when the Sephardic Jews of Italy fared differently. As early as 1532, the accusation of child murder nearly entailed the extermination of the Jews of Rome. In 1555, Paul IV revived the ancient canons against the Jews which forbade them the practice of medicine, the pursuit of high commerce, and the ownership of real estate. He also consigned them to a Ghetto, and compelled them to wear a Jew badge. In 1569, Pius IV expelled all the Jews from the Pontifical States, except Rome and Ancona. Sixtus V (1585-1590) recalled them; but, soon after him, Clement VIII (1592-1605) banished them again partially, at the very moment when the Maranos of Italy lost their last place of refuge in Ferrara. Similar misfortunes befell the Jewish race in other states of Italy as the Spanish domination extended there: Naples banished the Jews in 1541; Genoa, in 1550; Milan, in 1597. Hence-forward, most Sephardic fugitives simply passed through Italy when on their way to the Turkish Empire." [source]
        Go ahead and argue against Luther. That's fair. Your argument though that one of the reasons he's wrong, or whatever, because of his comments about the Jews works the other way as well: Rome is therefore wrong because her statements about the Lutherans and her actions toward the Jews.

It's offensive for you to refer to Luther as Nazi, particularly from a Roman perspective. Physician, heal thyself.
        Last edited by James Swan; 03-08-19, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atemi View Post

Our Heavenly Father nowhere tells His children they must fast on certain days of the year....or else!

The threat of Hell forever.....because your Masters know you won't do it otherwise.

LOL.

The wicked lie of "do this....or else!"

You have no choice. You have a gun to your head.

So no spiritual growth or love there....at all.

Only a lie...and those who defend such lies.

You just made that up. Where does your catechism teach that?

Nowhere. You are making up your own religion on the fly. LOL.

If he would rather have a kid's meal, there is no spiritual growth and no love anywhere in there. Mommy says he has to....or else.

You threaten your kids like your wicked Masters threaten you.

You taught him nothing but that Catholicism makes up stuff. You taught him dead religion.

Are you a parent? Have you ever said "no" to your children?

Have you ever taught them they have to get up on Sunday and go to church even if they don't want to?

Have you ever taught them they have to go to school, because you say so?

I don't threaten my children. I teach, discipline, guide, nurture, protect and most of all love them.

I'm sorry if you are of the camp that saying "no" to a child is threatening them.

Bring together all who wander from the feast you consecrate,
          and restore that grace we squander with divisions we create.

Comment

Originally posted by James Swan View Post

I suspect you may not be understanding me. Perhaps I was not clear. Let me try again.

You can argue Luther was negatively this or that, and you can claim the Roman church is positively this or that. However, if the negative thing you're arguing against Luther also applies to your own position, it's not a valid argument. It's the same sort of thing going on now in the United States. The Democrats are saying this or that person is a "racist," yet it's a double standard because the Democratic party is also making racist statements.

The Roman church made similar awful statements against a group of people (The "Lutherans"). Therefore: Luther and the Roman church are BOTH guilty of racist hate filled statements against people they did not like and wanted to suppress. Should we take this further and bringiup Rome's history against the Jews at this point?

Go ahead and argue against Luther. That's fair. Your argument though that one of the reasons he's wrong, or whatever, because of his comments about the Jews works the other way as well: Rome is therefore wrong because her statements about the Lutherans and her actions toward the Jews.

It's offensive for you to refer to Luther as Nazi, particularly from a Roman perspective. Physician, heal thyself.
            Luther wrote down his theology and it includes murdering Jews. You can have hundreds of popes even one today say they hate jews, That does not change Catholic theology.

IN TEACHING Luther says kill Jews. He wrote an entire book on it. He determines his own theology.

The Lutherans know. ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin...d_antisemitism

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, in an essay on Lutheran-Jewish relations, observed that "Over the years, Luther's anti-Jewish writings have continued to be reproduced in pamphlets and other works by neo-Nazi and antisemitic groups, such as the Ku Klux Klan."[95]

Nothing in Catholic church teaching says hate anyone. Evil Catholics exist. The teaching however does not teach to hate Jews.

Luther however is writing a book teaching to HATE JEWS -->The Nazis used Martin Luther's book, On the Jews and Their Lies (1543), to claim a moral righteousness for their ideology. Luther even went so far as to advocate the murder of those Jews who refused to convert to Christianity, writing that "we are at fault in not slaying them".[55]

If a catholic wrote a book it only is what it is that does not determine church teaching. Thats why we are not caught by inventions of false teaching as Luther caught plenty with his theology of Faith Alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ramcam2 View Post

Fasting is having one complete meal in a day. The church have no positive legislation as to the quantity of food taken in this single meal of the day. In other words, this may still satisfy the obligation of fasting but it also makes easier the virtue of temperance when one fasts.
              I suppose stuffing oneself with fish, lobster, scallops and shrimp could technically be having one complete meal, thus qualify as 'fasting'!

LOL

"Cults use Christian terminology, but redefine terms to suit their own belief and practices."-Dr. Walter Martin

Catholicism's doctrines of demons:

1TI 4:1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
              1TI 4:3 men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.

Comment

So you seem to have nobody.
                Catholic apologists can certainly keep dreaming. LOL.
                "Cults use Christian terminology, but redefine terms to suit their own belief and practices."-Dr. Walter Martin

1TI 4:1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
                1TI 4:3 men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat4life View Post
                  Are you saying, I'm wrong?
                  One of us certainly is attempting to be deceptive. Go ahead and state who is it.

Fasting and abstinence are two different things and you are saying that pigging out on fish is somehow not abstinence.

Gluttony is a sin, for any who practice such, but having a lobster dinner, is not a sin.
                  Pigging out on seafood isn't fasting.

Everyone knows it. Even Catholic apologists although they try to claim otherwise.

Comment

I claim no one who is required to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday go to an all you can eat fish fry and have more than one helping.
                    So one helping is fasting but one helping plus one extra small piece of fish isn't fasting...... uh uh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug View Post

I suppose stuffing oneself with fish, lobster, scallops and shrimp could technically be having one complete meal, thus qualify as 'fasting'!

LOL
                      technically speaking, if it just the only meal of the day....it is still fasting.

but, it diminish or take away the awareness that we are giving up a lesser good for a greater end.

Comment

One of us certainly is attempting to be deceptive. Go ahead and state who is it.

Pigging out on seafood isn't fasting.

Everyone knows it. Even Catholic apologists although they try to claim otherwise.

The RCC just has a different definition for the word "fasting" than what other people understand as the definition.

That's why when I fasted for my "Fasting blood sugar" medical test, the mimeographed instructions specified that I had to be on a "no food fast".

Sure, its an absurd redundancy. But a lot of Roman Catholic patients go through the same office, and the doctor wants to make sure that the patients understand.

For some folks, pigging out while fasting isn't an oxymoron.

Comment

• Originally posted by ramcam2 View Post
                          technically speaking, if it just the only meal of the day....it is still fasting.
                          Even if a Catholic takes a second helping at that same meal, is that still fasting?

but, it diminish or take away the awareness that we are giving up a lesser good for a greater end.
                          I thought you didn't judge???????????????

Comment

• Originally posted by Southsider View Post
                            The RCC just has a different definition for the word "fasting" than what other people understand as the definition.

That's why when I fasted for my "Fasting blood sugar" medical test, the mimeographed instructions specified that I had to be on a "no food fast".

Sure, its an absurd redundancy. But a lot of Roman Catholic patients go through the same office, and the doctor wants to make sure that the patients understand.

For some folks, pigging out while fasting isn't an oxymoron.
                            For Catholic apologists trying to deceive others, they try to claim pigging out on fish is certainly fasting!

The average Catholic just doesn't know any better.

Comment

Even if a Catholic takes a second helping at that same meal, is that still fasting?

I thought you didn't judge???????????????
                              I said the church do not have a positive legislation on the quantity of food to be taken. This is between the individual and god. you can even take a smaller meal than the usual that you eat.

Comment

• Originally posted by ramcam2 View Post
                                I said the church do not have a positive legislation on the quantity of food to be taken. This is between the individual and god. you can even take a smaller meal than the usual that you eat.
                                So eating 19 pieces of fish instead of the normal 20 pieces of fish in one sitting can qualify as that person fasting since it is a smaller meal than usual?

Comment

Working...
                                X