Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

The end of Purgatory ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theophilos View Post

No. It is about preparation for heaven.

. . . fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved —even though only as one escaping through the flames. 1 Cor 3:13-15
    Why do you take this literally when it's clearly a figure of speech?
    2 Corinthians 5:7 ~ for we walk by faith, not by sight

Romans 10:9 ~ that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

Comment

Originally posted by Philomena View Post

fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved —even though only as one escaping through the flames.1 Cor 3:13-15

Blessings
      The person is not tested by fire. His works are. The souls at this judgment are Christians. They have been saved by the blood of our Lord Jesus and have no need to be further purified.

We are either in the process of resisting God's truth or in the process of being shaped and molded by his truth … Charles Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by nan View Post

The person is not tested by fire. His works are. The souls at this judgment are Christians. They have been saved by the blood of our Lord Jesus and have no need to be further purified.
        What?

How do you test a "work"?

It's like a trial, nan.

A person is tried for what they have done.

A "work" has no accountability to anyone.

It is people who are held accountable.

Blessings
        May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

Comment

What?

Blessings
          You posted it yourself ... fire will test the quality of each person’s work.
          We are either in the process of resisting God's truth or in the process of being shaped and molded by his truth … Charles Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by nan View Post

So explain how that will look like, please.
            May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Theophilos View Post

Correct, purgatory is a Latin word and the Septuagint is written in Greek.

Of course the same argument would say that "faith" is unimportant since the English word does not appear in the Greek or Hebrew scriptures.
              I am not referring to the word, but to the concept. The notion of a "purgatory" is nowhere found in the Septuagint.

Comment

What?

Ask God. He is the one who says so.

It's like a trial, nan.
                A trial of WORKS....for every Christ follower.

A person is tried for what they have done.
                It is WORKS that are tried in the text. No mention of a single soul atoning for their sins, being punished by God, or any person being purified.

You believe in myths, not the Word of God.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

EDITED

You don't know exactly how that will play out, and neither does anyone else.
                  Last edited by Mod10; 05-15-19, 04:46 PM. Reason: Flag, edited
                  "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

As I understand it works refer to people. Are not the good works we are to walk in towards other people? You know, love (works) your neighbor as yourself.

Nic
                    1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
                    1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Comment

• Originally posted by Atemi View Post

Ask God. He is the one who says so.

A trial of WORKS....for every Christ follower.

It is WORKS that are tried in the text. No mention of a single soul atoning for their sins, being punished by God, or any person being purified.

You believe in myths, not the Word of God.

Like talking to a wall
                      Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

Comment

• Originally posted by Philomena View Post

What did this "look like"?

"And I will bring the third part into the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried. They shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people; and they shall say, Jehovah is my God. Zac 13:9

"test by fire" is an idiom found throughout the OT .. note it does not say they will be tested by fire.. BUT they will be tested AS IF by fire

What will it look like? I doubt any man will ever see it ..

Comment

• Originally posted by Calsgal View Post

What did this "look like"?

"And I will bring the third part into the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried. They shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people; and they shall say, Jehovah is my God. Zac 13:9

"test by fire" is an idiom found throughout the OT .. note it does not say they will be tested by fire.. BUT they will be tested AS IF by fire

What will it look like? I doubt any man will ever see it ..
                          Zechariah refers to purifying the flock on earth. 1 Cor 3 is referring to judgement of one's works after they die. How is that the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nic View Post
                            As I understand it works refer to people. Are not the good works we are to walk in towards other people? You know, love (works) your neighbor as yourself.

Nic
                            Yes. It refers to those who do the works. See Matthew 25, all. Notice that the people are judged by their good/bad actions.

Blessings

Comment

See Matthew 25, all. Notice that the people are judged by their good/bad actions.
                              1. No one is judge BY their actions. They are sorted by WHO they are....sheep or goats.
                              2. Works do not turn a goat into a sheep.
                              3. No Christ followers alive today will be judged during that event in question, so you really have no point.

Comment

Yes. It refers to those who do the works. See Matthew 25, all. Notice that the people are judged by their good/bad actions.

Blessings
                                I just explained it was an idiom , that saying God will test ministries (what this is talking about ) by fire does not mean God will burn them..this is about rewards not punishments

Comment

Working...
                                X