Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Repetitive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repetitive

Why is the Catholic Mass so repetitive? Iíve been going to a Lutheran Church and a non denom church and the services are never boring or repetition.

Originally posted by BaptistCrusader
    are you looking for fun at a worship service? is the rock band nice at the non denom church?

lutheran services are similar to catholic so your comment is odd. maybe try another parish?
    don't need a rock band to have fun and enjoy a gathering with other believers. praising and rejoicing in God's word, it is joyful. It should come from the hearts of those who are His. the Mass is boring and repetitive - it's preformulated / scripted. Even the prayers aren't from the hearts of those there - they're prewritten by the RCC.

I find sharing with other believers in hearing and learning His word to a very enjoyable time.
    btw, I read nothing in Faith's post about a rock band or fun. Is that your idea of fun?

Last edited by mica; 06-04-19, 04:41 AM.
    "I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

When I look at the text of Lutheran divine service, it closely parallels the Roman mass. There are plenty of things that repeat in the Lutheran service, so I am not sure why you are claiming that is much different from the Catholic. You may want to try masses at different parishes, colleges, etc.

The Eastern Catholic divine liturgy that I am familiar with is much different from either the typical Roman Catholic mass or the Lutheran service. For one thing the who liturgy is sung without musical instruments, and the music changes depending to the time of year and the particular Sunday. For another, the divine liturgy is comes from the liturgy of the Greek Church so the prayers are significantly different as well.

A key feature of the mass/divine liturgy is that is meant to prepare us to receive Christ into our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Theophilos View Post
        A key feature of the mass/divine liturgy is that is meant to prepare us to receive Christ into our lives.
        Receive Christ into our lives? Not sure what you mean by that; is it that Christ comes in and out of our lives and that the mass/divine liturgy brings him back in?
        1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1960 View Post
          Why is the Catholic Mass so repetitive?
          Repetition follows the model of the eternal worship of the Angels and Saints in heaven. See Revelation 4 (emphasis added).

8 And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all round and within, and day and night they never cease to sing,

"Holy, holy, holy,[d] is the Lord God Almighty,
          who was and is and is to come!"

9 And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, who lives for ever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever; they cast their crowns before the throne, singing,

11 "Worthy art thou, our Lord and God,
          to receive glory and honor and power,
          for thou didst create all things,
          and by thy will they existed and were created."
          "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers ...[write] about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one." O'Connor

Comment

Why is the Catholic Mass so repetitive? Iíve been going to a Lutheran Church and a non denom church and the services are never boring or repetition.
            Because its scripted. Man made religion can't worship from the heart. I've been to mass and its simply a memorized skit basically. There was a guy who had the timing down so well, he'd pop in the side door as people were lining up for communion then pop right back out the side door. You can set your watch by the mass. Once you get it down you don't even have to pay attention. Sit, kneel, bow, repeat this, pray, shuffle up and eat god, lunch. I also wondered why every prayer is read from a book? Can't these people ever pray to God from the heart? In my church there are people praying from the heart multiple times before and after the sermon. And we don't have some kid running up with a book of pre written prayers to read. When you know God, you know how to talk to God. When you don't i suppose you read it out of a prayer book. Sad.
            Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutGallery View Post
              Receive Christ into our lives? Not sure what you mean by that; is it that Christ comes in and out of our lives and that the mass/divine liturgy brings him back in?
              Receiving Christ daily, weekly or yearly isn't biblical.

John 1:12
              12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, NASB

Those born again have received Him..past tense. And He dwells in us forever. Another lie of the devil is that we can or have to actually eat god. Rituals don't save, believing in our savior does. Catholics need to come out of that religion to the light of His gospel and be saved. Time is short.

Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

Originally posted by Rudder View Post

Repetition follows the model of the eternal worship of the Angels and Saints in heaven. See Revelation 4 (emphasis added).

8 And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all round and within, and day and night they never cease to sing,

9 And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, who lives for ever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever; they cast their crowns before the throne, singing,

All of the protestants I know do that continually. Not just on Sundays.

If he had meant to cast you away he would have done so long ago. If he wanted reasons for rejecting you he had reasons from all eternity, for he knew what you would be. No sin in you has been a surprise to him. ó C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                  All of the protestants I know do that continually. Not just on Sundays.
                  Excellent.
                  "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers ...[write] about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one." O'Connor

Comment

Originally posted by BaptistCrusader

are you looking for fun at a worship service? is the rock band nice at the non denom church?

lutheran services are similar to catholic so your comment is odd. maybe try another parish?
                    Itís odd that youíd assume that. The Lutheran Church Iíve been visiting is very modern with a praise band and the way itís conducted isnít at all like a Catholic Mass. HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by mica View Post
                      don't need a rock band to have fun and enjoy a gathering with other believers. praising and rejoicing in God's word, it is joyful. It should come from the hearts of those who are His. the Mass is boring and repetitive - it's preformulated / scripted. Even the prayers aren't from the hearts of those there - they're prewritten by the RCC.

I find sharing with other believers in hearing and learning His word to a very enjoyable time.
                      btw, I read nothing in Faith's post about a rock band or fun. Is that your idea of fun?
                      There are rock bands at both churches but like I told Father in Confession once, I donít see anything wrong with worshipping AND having a nice time. He couldnít argue with me there.

Comment

It’s odd that you’d assume that. The Lutheran Church I’ve been visiting is very modern with a praise band and the way it’s conducted isn’t at all like a Catholic Mass. HTH.
                        In my experience, it is often common for a parish to offer both a "traditional" service and a "contemporary" service (using modern praise music, often accompanied by guitar and other instruments). The purpose is to accommodate persons of differing preferences. I saw this both in a Lutheran parish that I once attended and, also, at my old Catholic parish.

Comment

Originally posted by Theophilos View Post

If you are at mass, haven't you already 'received Christ into your life"???? What does that even mean?

~~~My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My Father's hand~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Rudder View Post

so catholics never cease to sing?

and fall down on 'the throne' and worship Him? cast their crowns before Him? what crowns do they cast?

the Him in that verse is not the RCC, pope or Mary.

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

It’s odd that you’d assume that. The Lutheran Church I’ve been visiting is very modern with a praise band and the way it’s conducted isn’t at all like a Catholic Mass. HTH.
                              Greetings Faith1960,

lutherans and catholics have very similar services. what are the key difference you have observed?

Comment

Working...
                              X