Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Peter confirmed as Prime Minister of the Kingdom by nCC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Peter confirmed as Prime Minister of the Kingdom by nCC

    The International Critical Commentary on the book of Matthew the nCC's scholars Dale C. Allison Jr and W. D. Davies write:

    The major opinion of modern exegesis is that Peter, as a sort of supreme Rabbi or Prime Minister of the Kingdom, is, in Matthew 16, given teaching authority. Given that power to declare what is permit and what is not permitted. Peter can decide by doctrinal decision what Christian must and must not do.

    This confirms that what the CC has always taught.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

    "There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still." Betsy ten Boom

    "God in His deepest mystery is not a solitude, but a family, since He has in Himself fatherhood, sonship, and the essence of the family, which is love." John Paul II

    ’Then Mary said, ‘Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.’ One of the greatest responses in all of scripture.

  • #2
    Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post
    The International Critical Commentary on the book of Matthew the nCC's scholars Dale C. Allison Jr and W. D. Davies write:

    The major opinion of modern exegesis is that Peter, as a sort of supreme Rabbi or Prime Minister of the Kingdom, is, in Matthew 16, given teaching authority. Given that power to declare what is permit and what is not permitted. Peter can decide by doctrinal decision what Christian must and must not do.

    This confirms that what the CC has always taught.
    Well, it is not like their opinion is unchallenged.

    In the move from image to application, Peter's keys must be understood against this background. Both authority and power are involved, but Peter is not being set up as an ecclesiastical power figure on whose personal decision hang people's fates. Peter's possession of the keys primarily involves him in pointing to Jesus as the Christ and the Son of God and relaying what he has learned from him. In Matthew's story Peter is now in a position to be given keys because he has come to the place of insight and confession represented in Mt. 16:16.

    As with the earlier images, here too we must move from the imagery to that to which the imagery is to be applied. To take it that Peter is here being appointed as the chief Christian rabbi is probably to confuse imagery and application. At least in the Matthean context, binding and loosing are a subset of using the keys: they have to do with getting people into the kingdom of heaven.

    Though the need to address new situations is not to be ruled out, the thrust of the binding and loosing is a thoroughly conservative one: it is Peter's role to see that all that Jesus taught is brought to bear on people's lives; Peter binds and looses only as he has learned to do so from Jesus. The binding and loosing clauses will be repeated almost identically in 18:18, but with reference to all the disciples.
    Nolland, J. (2005). The Gospel of Matthew: a commentary on the Greek text (pp. 677, 681, 682). Grand Rapids, MI; Carlisle: W.B. Eerdmans; Paternoster Press; emphasis mine
    So in essence:

    1. Peter was not given the authority to decide whether certain individuals should be saved or not.

    2. He was also not entrusted with the authority to come up with doctrine apart from what had been and would be revealed (see e.g. Acts 10) to him.

    3. The authority associated with the keys was to teach the Gospel, as he had learned it from Christ.

    4. Also the other disciples received the authority to bind and to loose, i.e. to preach the saving Gospel.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Johan View Post

      Well, it is not like their opinion is unchallenged.

      In the move from image to application, Peter's keys must be understood against this background. Both authority and power are involved, but Peter is not being set up as an ecclesiastical power figure on whose personal decision hang people's fates. Peter's possession of the keys primarily involves him in pointing to Jesus as the Christ and the Son of God and relaying what he has learned from him. In Matthew's story Peter is now in a position to be given keys because he has come to the place of insight and confession represented in Mt. 16:16.

      As with the earlier images, here too we must move from the imagery to that to which the imagery is to be applied. To take it that Peter is here being appointed as the chief Christian rabbi is probably to confuse imagery and application. At least in the Matthean context, binding and loosing are a subset of using the keys: they have to do with getting people into the kingdom of heaven.

      Though the need to address new situations is not to be ruled out, the thrust of the binding and loosing is a thoroughly conservative one: it is Peter's role to see that all that Jesus taught is brought to bear on people's lives; Peter binds and looses only as he has learned to do so from Jesus. The binding and loosing clauses will be repeated almost identically in 18:18, but with reference to all the disciples.
      Nolland, J. (2005). The Gospel of Matthew: a commentary on the Greek text (pp. 677, 681, 682). Grand Rapids, MI; Carlisle: W.B. Eerdmans; Paternoster Press; emphasis mine
      So in essence:

      1. Peter was not given the authority to decide whether certain individuals should be saved or not.

      2. He was also not entrusted with the authority to come up with doctrine apart from what had been and would be revealed (see e.g. Acts 10) to him.

      3. The authority associated with the keys was to teach the Gospel, as he had learned it from Christ.

      4. Also the other disciples received the authority to bind and to loose, i.e. to preach the saving Gospel.
      So whose interpretation is correct?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

      "There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still." Betsy ten Boom

      "God in His deepest mystery is not a solitude, but a family, since He has in Himself fatherhood, sonship, and the essence of the family, which is love." John Paul II

      ’Then Mary said, ‘Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.’ One of the greatest responses in all of scripture.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post

        So whose interpretation is correct?
        Scripture alone does not say that Peter was appointed a "supreme rabbi". Scripture alone says that all the disciples were given the authority to bind and to loose. So there you go.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post
          The International Critical Commentary on the book of Matthew the nCC's scholars Dale C. Allison Jr and W. D. Davies write:

          The major opinion of modern exegesis is that Peter, as a sort of supreme Rabbi or Prime Minister of the Kingdom, is, in Matthew 16, given teaching authority. Given that power to declare what is permit and what is not permitted. Peter can decide by doctrinal decision what Christian must and must not do.

          This confirms that what the CC has always taught.
          Never heard of them. I'm glad Jesus is our head and not these guys huh? Here is an amazon review on the commentary

          "I gave it away! I cannot see how one can call this work invaluable when at its very heart it denies the historicity of our Lord's
          virgin birth and the events surrounding it. Davies view Matthew 1-2 as mythical in nature."

          One myth after another apparently.
          Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post

            So whose interpretation is correct?
            The one that was answered by the guidance of the Holy Spirit of course.

            Without Love we are nothing more than noise makers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Johan View Post

              Scripture alone does not say that Peter was appointed a "supreme rabbi". Scripture alone says that all the disciples were given the authority to bind and to loose. So there you go.
              Where does scripture alone say that all the disciples were given the authority to bind and to loose?
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

              "There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still." Betsy ten Boom

              "God in His deepest mystery is not a solitude, but a family, since He has in Himself fatherhood, sonship, and the essence of the family, which is love." John Paul II

              ’Then Mary said, ‘Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.’ One of the greatest responses in all of scripture.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post
                Never heard of them. I'm glad Jesus is our head and not these guys huh? Here is an amazon review on the commentary

                "I gave it away! I cannot see how one can call this work invaluable when at its very heart it denies the historicity of our Lord's
                virgin birth and the events surrounding it. Davies view Matthew 1-2 as mythical in nature."

                One myth after another apparently.
                - There are five reviews on the Amazon website for the International Critical Commentary Matthew 8-18. All of them are 5 star reviews.

                - Here is what the article in wikipedia says:

                Initially started over one hundred years ago, the International Critical Commentary series has been a highly regarded academic-level commentary on the Bible.

                - Here is what logos.com says:

                The International Critical Commentary (ICC), published by T&T Clark International, has long held a special place among works on the Bible. It brings together all the relevant aids to exegesis: linguistic and textual, archaeological, historical, literary, and theological, with a comprehensiveness and quality of scholarship unmatched by any other series.

                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

                "There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still." Betsy ten Boom

                "God in His deepest mystery is not a solitude, but a family, since He has in Himself fatherhood, sonship, and the essence of the family, which is love." John Paul II

                ’Then Mary said, ‘Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.’ One of the greatest responses in all of scripture.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You can add the authority to forgive and retain sins too. Which is basically the same thing.

                  John 20
                  23“If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.”


                  The church can declare your sins forgiven if you eat a taco on Taco Tuesday. I might try suggest this one to the Magisterium. You never know they might be in a good mood.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post

                    - There are five reviews on the Amazon website for the International Critical Commentary Matthew 8-18. All of them are 5 star reviews.

                    - Here is what the article in wikipedia says:

                    Initially started over one hundred years ago, the International Critical Commentary series has been a highly regarded academic-level commentary on the Bible.

                    - Here is what logos.com says:

                    The International Critical Commentary (ICC), published by T&T Clark International, has long held a special place among works on the Bible. It brings together all the relevant aids to exegesis: linguistic and textual, archaeological, historical, literary, and theological, with a comprehensiveness and quality of scholarship unmatched by any other series.
                    There are 13 reviews. And who cares what wikipedia says? And obviously Matt 8 isn't Matt 1-2 is it?
                    Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post

                      Where does scripture alone say that all the disciples were given the authority to bind and to loose?
                      Don't you know the Scriptures better than that?

                      Truly I tell you [plural], whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you [plural] loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. (Matt. 18:18)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post
                        The International Critical Commentary on the book of Matthew the nCC's scholars Dale C. Allison Jr and W. D. Davies write:

                        The major opinion of modern exegesis is that Peter, as a sort of supreme Rabbi or Prime Minister of the Kingdom, is, in Matthew 16, given teaching authority. Given that power to declare what is permit and what is not permitted. Peter can decide by doctrinal decision what Christian must and must not do.

                        This confirms that what the CC has always taught.
                        This gives even more weight to the reason one should test everything against scripture and not men.
                        2 Corinthians 5:7 ~ for we walk by faith, not by sight

                        Romans 10:9 ~ that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post
                          The International Critical Commentary on the book of Matthew the nCC's scholars Dale C. Allison Jr and W. D. Davies write:

                          The major opinion of modern exegesis is that Peter, as a sort of supreme Rabbi or Prime Minister of the Kingdom, is, in Matthew 16, given teaching authority. Given that power to declare what is permit and what is not permitted. Peter can decide by doctrinal decision what Christian must and must not do.

                          This confirms that what the CC has always taught.
                          Peter's dead ... and when he was alive he was a fellow elder, no better than any other.
                          We are either in the process of resisting God's truth or in the process of being shaped and molded by his truth … Charles Stanley

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by utilyan View Post
                            You can add the authority to forgive and retain sins too. Which is basically the same thing.

                            John 20
                            23“If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.”
                            .
                            So you think Jesus sent his disciples out to "hear confessions" from already baptized Catholics? Where do you see this in John 20?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post

                              So whose interpretation is correct?
                              Greetings rldlolbeding,

                              the interpretation of the holy spirit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X