Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Loving others is a work of the law: Change my mind

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loving others is a work of the law: Change my mind

Loving others is a work of the law: Change my mind

Catholics:
    Review and consider the verses below and answer:
    Is "loving your neighbor as yourself" a work of the law?

Paul in Romans said
    Romans 13:
    8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.9 The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command:
    “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

----------------
    Paul in Galatians said
    Galatians 5:
    14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

JESUS infallibly summarized the Law and SAID
    Mark 12:
    28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
    29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”
    32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.

JESUS SAID
    Matthew 19:
    Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
    18 “Which ones?” he inquired.
    Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”

JESUS SAID
    Luke 10:25-28
    25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
    <continues with the Parable of the Good Samaritan>
    --------------------------------------

and let's not forget your favorite author in your favorite chapter

James 2:
    8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right
    One of the ekklēsia

Romans 3:28
    For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

Titus 3:5
    He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy,

We are told we are justified by faith apart from the works of the law
    We are told we are not saved by works of righteousness

WHAT ELSE IS THERE?

still waiting

One of the ekklēsia

Comment

Originally posted by tester View Post
      For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy,

WHAT ELSE IS THERE?

still waiting

Hi Tester,

You wrote: Loving others is a work of the law: Change my mind

I don't want to change your mind.

Let us pray for one another and love one another.
      -Ray-

The Good News is that Jesus Christ died and rose for our sins so that we might be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by relling View Post

Hi Tester,

You wrote: Loving others is a work of the law: Change my mind

I don't want to change your mind.

Let us pray for one another and love one another.
        Am I correct?
        One of the ekklēsia

Comment

Am I correct?
          Yes.
          -Ray-

The Good News is that Jesus Christ died and rose for our sins so that we might be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by relling View Post

Yes.
            Loving others is a command of God not a work of the law.
            We are either in the process of resisting God's truth or in the process of being shaped and molded by his truth … Charles Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by nan View Post

did you see the verses in the OP?
              Was Jesus' summary of The Law infallible?
              One of the ekklēsia

Comment

WHAT ELSE IS THERE?

still waiting

My understanding is once saved by the grace of God, we want to be a disciple. That means we want to become Christlike in our thoughts, actions etc. Christ is love it was part of who He is, it never seemed like a work for Him to love. It was part of His nature. Love should become part of the nature of the true disciple. I believe we are changed once saved and that shows in everything we do and say and think.

It is not a work, a work is something that we do whereas love is something that has been given to us.

Comment

Originally posted by balshan View Post

My understanding is once saved by the grace of God, we want to be a disciple. That means we want to become Christlike in our thoughts, actions etc. Christ is love it was part of who He is, it never seemed like a work for Him to love. It was part of His nature. Love should become part of the nature of the true disciple. I believe we are changed once saved and that shows in everything we do and say and think.

It is not a work, a work is something that we do whereas love is something that has been given to us.
                  from the OP:
                  "Review and consider the verses below and answer:
                  Is "loving your neighbor as yourself" a work of the law?"
                  One of the ekklēsia

Comment

from the OP:
                    "Review and consider the verses below and answer:
                    Consider what I posted. If you love your neighbour is it because of work or is it the gift of love that gives to you?

Comment

Originally posted by nan View Post

Greetings nan,

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by balshan View Post

Consider what I posted. If you love your neighbour is it because of work or is it the gift of love that gives to you?
                        Irrelevant to the question .
                        after reading the verses in the OP

the point of dispute is the Catholic claim the we are justified by God because of our acts of love for others
                        Paul states "a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law."

If "loving your neighbor as yourself" is a work of the law
                        then we cannot be justified by God because of our acts of love.
                        One of the ekklēsia

Comment

Irrelevant to the question .
                          after reading the verses in the OP

the point of dispute is the Catholic claim the we are justified by God because of our acts of love for others
                          Paul states "a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law."

If "loving your neighbor as yourself" is a work of the law
                          then we cannot be justified by God because of our acts of love.
                          I do not believe any man can keep this command ( a summery of the commandments )

Like all the law, only Christ could keep to perfectly
                          Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

Comment

Originally posted by Calsgal View Post

I do not believe any man can keep this command ( a summery of the commandments )

Like all the law, only Christ could keep to perfectly
                            But what does God say?

Deuteronomy 30

11“For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach. 12“It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?’ 13“Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?’ 14“But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.

Is God a Liar? Or is he telling the truth?

Comment

Galatians 6

2Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

1 Corinthians 9

21to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

John 13

34“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35“By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

We see there is a difference between Works of the law vs Law of God, Law of Spirit, Law of Faith and Law of Christ.

Here is the verse that has you trapped:

Romans 3

28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

Exactly ONE VERSE LATER he goes into detail of WORKS of the LAW

29Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also,

In other words if we are justified by WORKS OF THE LAW rather than FAITH, It would be GOD of the JEWS ONLY! And everyone would have to be circumcised.

He gives the CLEAR CONTRAST if we are under "WORKS OF THE LAW" it means judiazer's lead.

1 corinthians 9

20To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;21to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

Here again the distinction. He points out with the Jews who are under the law, He says well I am not under the law. "though not being myself under the Law,"

He clearly says he IS NOT under the law.

"though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ,"

He clearly says he IS under the law.

So here is all you have to do to get out of your knot. Find for us the LAW OF CHRIST, THE ROYAL LAW. Look at Galatians 6.

This all comes back to the Faith Alone controversy. If it has love in it. That is a GOOD WORK. And it is REQUIRED.

If you say Your faith alone has NO GOOD WORK in it, Being devoid of Love then it is evil. We simply will not budge unless there is a HINT of love in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X