Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Does Baptism wash away sins? Yes or no?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Baptism wash away sins? Yes or no?

Acts 22:16 New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)
    16 Now, why delay? Get up and have yourself baptized and your sins washed away, calling upon his name.’
    Pray!

Originally posted by De Maria View Post
    16 Now, why delay? Get up and have yourself baptized and your sins washed away, calling upon his name.’
    No.

If he had meant to cast you away he would have done so long ago. If he wanted reasons for rejecting you he had reasons from all eternity, for he knew what you would be. No sin in you has been a surprise to him. C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

No.

Comment

No.
        ~~~My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My Father's hand~~~

Comment

Through the power of the Holy Spirit, Baptism most certainly washes away one's sin through new birth and regeneration.
          Bring together all who wander from the feast you consecrate,
          and restore that grace we squander with divisions we create.

Comment

no

eta - Luke 3 16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water;

but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose:

He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire

Who does John say will come and baptize people? with what?

what does the word 'but ' mean to you when you read it in scripture?

Last edited by mica; 06-13-19, 10:44 PM.
            "I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

No!
              It is fundamentally necessary and healthy for Christians to acknowledge that God foreknows nothing uncertainly, but that He foresees, purposes, and does all things according to His own immutable, eternal and infallible will. This bombshell knocks "free-will" flat…

Martin Luther The Bondage of the Will

Comment

Originally posted by Kat4life View Post

Through the power of the Holy Spirit, Baptism most certainly washes away one's sin through new birth and regeneration.
                The unregenerate do not get water baptized. Baptism was for those already born again, it was never done in order to be born again.
                ~~~My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My Father's hand~~~

Comment

"And now why tarriest thou? Rise up, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, invoking his name." [Acts 22:16]. Why do you suppose it was necessary for St. Paul to be Baptized having come from the blinding vision of Christ? Water and Spirit are necessary according to Jesus Christ, and the Church that speaks for Him.

JoeT
                  Sigillum Militum Χρisti † / "Truth exists. The Incarnation happened."

Totus Tuus, "Totally yours . . . Keep me in this union".

Comment

Originally posted by 4Him View Post

The unregenerate do not get water baptized. Baptism was for those already born again, it was never done in order to be born again.
                    Are you denying that baptism by the Holy Spirit is necessary?

Comment

No
                      the Bible is clear that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, not by works of any kind, including baptism So, any interpretation which comes to the conclusion that baptism, or any other act, is necessary for salvation, is a faulty interpretation.

The Greek aorist participle, epikalesamenos, translated "calling on His name" refers either to action that is simultaneous with or before that of the main verb, "be baptized." Here Paul’s calling on Christ’s name for salvation preceded his water baptism.
                      https://biblehub.com/text/acts/22-16.htm

The participle may be translated "having called on His name" which makes more sense, as it would clearly indicate the order of the events.
                      One of the ekklēsia

Comment

that's not what was said
                        One of the ekklēsia

Comment

So, basically, Protestants deny and reject the Word of God in order to preserve their tradition.
                          The Scripture is clear:

Acts 22:16 Now, why delay?
                          a. Get up
                          b. and have yourself baptized
                          c. and your sins washed away,
                          d. calling upon his name.’

b, c, and d, above, happen simultaneously, in Baptism.

But you claim that sins are already "washed" away before Baptism. Yet, in the Scripture above,
                          sins are washed away either in Baptism or after.

If Jesus' baptism doesn't wash away sins, then what is the difference between Jesus' baptism and St. John
                          the Baptist's?

Acts 19:2 He said to them, “Did you receive the holy Spirit when you became believers?”
                          They answered him, “We have never even heard that there is a holy Spirit.”
                          3 He said, “How were you baptized?” They replied, “With the baptism of John.”
                          4 Paul then said, “John baptized with a baptism of repentance, telling the people
                          to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, in Jesus.”
                          5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

If Baptism is unnecessary and does nothing,
                          Why did they have to be baptized in the name of Jesus in order to receive the Holy Spirit?
                          Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by mica View Post
                            no

eta - Luke 3 16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water;

but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose:

He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire

Who does John say will come and baptize people? with what?

what does the word 'but ' mean to you when you read it in scripture?

The but does not eliminate the first but makes it perfect.

With the visible act, John contrasts what in the future will happen by the invisible.

That doesn't remove the visible act, it perfects it.

Similar with the Lord's Supper. The visible is perfected by the invisible.

Comment

Didn't even imply that. Pay attention.

No. Baptism of the Holy Spirit requires no water.

Comment

Working...
                              X