Scripture commands us to venerate Mary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scripture commands us to venerate Mary

In the Gospel of St. Luke, St. Mary goes to visit St. Elizabeth after she has Annunciation.
    When she arrives, St. Elizabeth says:

Luke 1:41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the infant leaped in her womb,
    and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit, 42 cried out in a loud voice and said,
    “Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
    43 And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

She is exclaiming that Mary has received an awesome grace, which is unheard of in human history.
    She is carrying God in her womb. As a result, St. Elizabeth realizes what that makes Mary,
    " mother of my Lord" and thus, "Queen of Heaven."

Scripture goes on to say, that all generations will call Mary blessed.

48 ....behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed.

So, Scripture is commanding everyone to call St. Mary blessed, recognizing that
    she is the Mother of our Lord, and thus, the Queen of Heaven.
    Pray!

Originally posted by De Maria View Post
    Scripture commands us to venerate Mary
    And Protestants everywhere do exactly that in a Biblical fashion.

Catholics, and PARTICULARLY ROMAN CATHOLICS have constructed for themselves a blasphemous "Mary thing" they they IDOLIZE and attach ALL SORTS of unbiblical, and anti-christ attributes and powers to, and Worship despite the Biblical injunction against such practices. They've even re-written the TEN COMMANDMENTS to eliminate the "Worshipping idols" command.

Comment

In the Gospel of St. Luke, St. Mary goes to visit St. Elizabeth after she has Annunciation.

and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit, 42 cried out in a loud voice and said,
      Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
      43 And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

She is exclaiming that Mary has received an awesome grace, which is unheard of in human history.
      She is carrying God in her womb. As a result, St. Elizabeth realizes what that makes Mary,

Twist much?

There's no command.

She's blessed among women - you added most. You are assuming the rest...'thus, the Queen of Heaven'.

You're commentary that Elizabeth is exclaiming that Mary has received an awesome grace is just that - you're commentary and opinion. Scripture doesn't say awesome grace or full of grace. The RCC invented that one.

"Mother of my Lord" not "Mother of God" as your sect likes to claim.

This is the epitome of reaching...
      2 Corinthians 5:7 ~ for we walk by faith, not by sight

Romans 10:9 ~ that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

Comment

Thats one big pile of eisegesis ya got there. Please show us where Liz 'realized' mary was queen of anything?
        Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

Originally posted by illini1959 View Post

Twist much?

There's no command.

She's blessed among women - you added most. You are assuming the rest...'thus, the Queen of Heaven'.

You're commentary that Elizabeth is exclaiming that Mary has received an awesome grace is just that - you're commentary and opinion. Scripture doesn't say awesome grace or full of grace. The RCC invented that one.

"Mother of my Lord" not "Mother of God" as your sect likes to claim.

This is the epitome of reaching...
          Ya beat me to it..
          Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

And Protestants everywhere do exactly that in a Biblical fashion.

Catholics, and PARTICULARLY ROMAN CATHOLICS have constructed for themselves a blasphemous "Mary thing" they they IDOLIZE and attach ALL SORTS of unbiblical, and anti-christ attributes and powers to, and Worship despite the Biblical injunction against such practices. They've even re-written the TEN COMMANDMENTS to eliminate the "Worshipping idols" command.

NO! Scripture does NOT command anyone, anywhere to ever venerate Mary! This is another example of how the Pharisees' and the 'law interpreters' of Roman Catholicism RE-interpret the Word of God to fit the thousands of details that it has added on to the very Word of God, therefore disregarding the "whole" of the Law, thereby "making it empty."
            RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post
              Thats one big pile of eisegesis ya got there.
              That seems to be the standard modus operandi for Catholic "interpretation" of the Scriptures. It becomes so silly that I get tired of refuting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan View Post

That seems to be the standard modus operandi for Catholic "interpretation" of the Scriptures. It becomes so silly that I get tired of refuting it.
                The absurd amount of free wheeling, full speed ahead mangling of the bible does get old. Rational discussion hasn't happened here in a long time.

Comment

Luke11:
                  27 As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, “Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you.”

28 He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”

--
                  I'm blessed : are you?

Definition: rather, on the contrary
                  Usage: nay rather; indeed, truly, really.
                  One of the ekklēsia

Comment

Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

The absurd amount of free wheeling, full speed ahead mangling of the bible does get old. Rational discussion hasn't happened here in a long time.
                    yes, it does. They don't want to know the truth. they are content in the lies of the world.

Jude -

10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

Nothing in the verses you provided say we're to worship Mary. They're about a conversation between Elizabeth and Mary, and a declaration Mary makes about herself, not a command to us to worship Mary.

Do Catholic hermeneutics not recognize the difference between prescriptive and descriptive verses?

Comment

smh...

I missed the verse where Elizabeth allegedly used the phrase "Queen of Heaven" in regards to Mary.

That was never in dispute.

Your false claim was "Scripture commands us to VENERATE Mary".

You have not shown any "command".
                        You have not shown any verse that refers to "venerating" Mary.

The word "blessed" comes from the Greek, "makarios", which basically means "happy".
                        It does NOT mean "venerated".
                        "We are not to understand the other side; we are to discuss to expound the truth." -- A misguided apologist
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        "The Law is a storm which wrecks your hopes of self-salvation,
                        but washes you upon the Rock of Ages."
                        -- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Florida Angler View Post

Nothing in the verses you provided say we're to worship Mary. They're about a conversation between Elizabeth and Mary, and a declaration Mary makes about herself, not a command to us to worship Mary.

Do Catholic hermeneutics not recognize the difference between prescriptive and descriptive verses?
                          Catholic hermenutics = make it up as you go. Or whatever props up mother church, anything is game.

Comment

Saying someone is "blessed" is NOT the same thing as veneration! I have said sometimes that I am blessed to be married to a great guy--does that mean I should be venerated?

In our church we sometimes refer to her as the blessed virgin Mary. And she was singularly blessed to bear the Son of God in His humanity. But that does NOT gives us leave to ascribe powers and glory to her that rightfully belong ONLY TO HER SON--like "only hope for sinners." And "Gate of heaven."

And nowhere does Scripture call MaryctjecQueen of heaven. In fact, she disappears from the pages of the NT after Acts 1.

Jesus refused to give undue honor to His mother. We should follow his example. Unfortunately, Catholics do not, hence such blasphemies as THE GLORIES OF MARY and that one prayer from it I put down on here.
                            "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                            "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                            “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
                            "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                            "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post

Your false claim was "Scripture commands us to VENERATE Mary".

You have not shown any "command".
                              You have not shown any verse that refers to "venerating" Mary.
                              It is light of truth that your church should be generating if it is indeed the true Church. Christ says on the cross, take and venerate, revere, servitus the Mother of God, Mary who is now our spiritual Mother.

Yes indeed you are commanded to hold fast, "behold," the Mother of God whom He loved. Do you not love those whom the Lord loved? Demons are jealous of Her, fearful of her name. You're not jealous, are you? He says to the Church, standing before him in the person of John, behold or here is your mother. John was not a blood related sibling of Christ. Nevertheless Christ commands that the true Church take her in, to honor, to behold, to venerate! Unless of course you find yourself jealous of her - in which case your not of the church (ambiguous or otherwise).

"When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own." [John 19:26-27]
                              Jesus Christ commands you to take her under your spiritual roof - assuming of course you're not spiritually homeless.

JoeT

Last edited by JoeT; 07-03-19, 02:34 PM.
                              Sigillum Militum Χρisti † / "Truth exists. The Incarnation happened."

Totus Tuus, "Totally yours . . . Keep me in this union".

Comment

Working...
                              X