Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Why does St. Elizabeth call Mary, "Mother of my Lord"? Luke 1:43

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does St. Elizabeth call Mary, "Mother of my Lord"? Luke 1:43

Why does St. Elizabeth call Mary, "Mother of my Lord"?

Luke 1:43
    New International Version
    But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

New Living Translation
    Why am I so honored, that the mother of my Lord should visit me?

English Standard Version
    And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
    Pray!

Originally posted by De Maria View Post

New Living Translation

English Standard Version
    Because Mary is the mother of the Master/King from the line of David from the Tribe of Judah
    https://biblehub.com/greek/2962.htm

that was easy
    One of the ekklēsia

Comment

New Living Translation

English Standard Version
      So you're saying Roman Catholics are completely ignorant of the fact that Mary gave birth to Jesus?!
      SERIOUSLY?!
      "We are not to understand the other side; we are to discuss to expound the truth." -- A misguided apologist
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      "The Law is a storm which wrecks your hopes of self-salvation,
      but washes you upon the Rock of Ages."
      -- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comment

PAY ATTENTION TO THE CONTEXT!!!! Elisabeth proclaimed a word of prophesy given Her by the Holy Spirit.

And since Jesus was to become her LORD (as well as mine, and yours if you're a Christian). the word was true.

Comment

Why does St. Elizabeth call Mary, "Mother of my Lord"?...
          Because Elizabeth was not moved by the Holy Ghost to call Mary, "Mother of God"
          1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Comment

New Living Translation

English Standard Version
            In Old Testament times, the King was was known to be referred to as "my Lord" (eg, see 1 Kings 1:31). Calling Mary "Mother of my Lord" is akin to calling her Queen for her son is the King.

Her full sentence is alluding to the Ark of the Covenant (2 Samuel 6:9). And the Ark of the Covenant was carried with poles - like the way a royal throne would be carried with poles. Elizabeth recognized Mary as royalty.

Comment

Originally posted by poster2262 View Post

In Old Testament times, the King was was known to be referred to as "my Lord" (eg, see 1 Kings 1:31). Calling Mary "Mother of my Lord" is akin to calling her Queen for her son is the King.

Her full sentence is alluding to the Ark of the Covenant (2 Samuel 6:9). And the Ark of the Covenant was carried with poles - like the way a royal throne would be carried with poles. Elizabeth recognized Mary as royalty.
              Mary was NOT "royalty." And none of the Bible writers mention her in that way at all. In fact, in any of the great acts of salvation history the evangelists always stress the undeniable fact that it is the divine drive of Almighty God which propels all of the great acts of salvation history, and that the initiative always lies with God and not with man. It is God who acts, and God who chooses. Mary fulfilled her small part which was to wait on Him, and to respond with obedience and trust.
              RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

Comment

In Old Testament times, the King was was known to be referred to as "my Lord" (eg, see 1 Kings 1:31). Calling Mary "Mother of my Lord" is akin to calling her Queen for her son is the King...
                1Kings 1:31 Then Bathsheba bowed with her face to the earth, and did reverence to the king, and said, Let my lord king David live for ever.

Are you stating Mary is Jesus' wife, as was Bathsheba David's wife?
                1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post

So you're saying Roman Catholics are completely ignorant of the fact that Mary gave birth to Jesus?!
                  SERIOUSLY?!
                  Mary gave birth to the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity, Jesus Christ, true God and true Man. Therefore she is the Mother of God. You can separate or divide Christ into two things. He is true God and true Man.

Ora pro nobis, sancta Dei Genitrix!
                  "The Holy Roman Church condemns, rejects, anathematizes and declares to be outside the Body of Christ, which is the Church, whoever holds opposing or contrary views. Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence

Comment

New Living Translation

English Standard Version
                    Well this does not mean she is to be venerated, does not make her a pv, does not mean she had an immaculate conception, does not mean she floated up into heaven, does not mean she was sinless. Does not justify any of the RC myths.

Comment

wrong on both counts!

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterium Fidei View Post
                        Mary gave birth to the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity, Jesus Christ, true God and true Man. Therefore she is the Mother of God. You can separate or divide Christ into two things. He is true God and true Man.

Ora pro nobis, sancta Dei Genitrix!
                        the Father and the Holy Spirit are not true man. that sounds more
                        like LDS teachings, along with the ccc 460? that men can become gods.
                        "I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

Originally posted by tester View Post

Because Mary is the mother of the Master/King from the line of David from the Tribe of Judah
                          Is the Master/King from the line of David from the Tribe of Judah, God?

What's this? You don't go by the Bible alone?

that was easy
                          Did the Holy Spirit inspire St. Elizabeth to call Jesus, Lord, for the wrong reasons?

Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutGallery View Post
                            Because Elizabeth was not moved by the Holy Ghost to call Mary, "Mother of God"
                            What's the difference between Mother of my Lord and Mother of my God?
                            Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by mica View Post
                              the Father and the Holy Spirit are not true man. that sounds more
                              like LDS teachings, along with the ccc 460? that men can become gods.
                              Do you believe that Jesus is True Man and True God, yes or no?
                              Pray!

Comment

Working...
                              X