Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

What in the World is Wrong with the Rich Young Ruler?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What in the World is Wrong with the Rich Young Ruler?

And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept… Mt 19:16-20.

Why does the Rich Young Ruler claim that he is good immediately after Jesus told Him only God is good?

If he had meant to cast you away he would have done so long ago. If he wanted reasons for rejecting you he had reasons from all eternity, for he knew what you would be. No sin in you has been a surprise to him. C.H. Spurgeon

Originally posted by Howie View Post
    And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept… Mt 19:16-20.

Why does the Rich Young Ruler claim that he is good immediately after Jesus told Him only God is good?
    Because the rich young man really HAD NO CLUE what he was talking about, so Jesus hit him with a specific requirement which wasn't in the LAW (Sell what you have, give to the poor) that Jesus KNEW he wouldn't be able/willing to perform.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

Because the rich young man really HAD NO CLUE what he was talking about, so Jesus hit him with a specific requirement which wasn't in the LAW (Sell what you have, give to the poor) that Jesus KNEW he wouldn't be able/willing to perform.
      True. The rich young ruler neither kept the commandments, because if he had, he would have been good, and Jesus had just told him only God was good, nor did he give his belongings to the poor.

If he had meant to cast you away he would have done so long ago. If he wanted reasons for rejecting you he had reasons from all eternity, for he knew what you would be. No sin in you has been a surprise to him. C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

His love of his riches, shows that he did not put God above all else. So he has broken the main commandment. This is also the problem in the RCC as they prefer to go bankrupt, move the asset around to avoid doing what is right which is to give redress to the victims of the church.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie View Post
          True. The rich young ruler neither kept the commandments, because if he had, he would have been good, and Jesus had just told him only God was good, nor did he give his belongings to the poor.
          Luke 1:5-6, "In the days of King Herod of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly order of Abijah. His wife was a descendant of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. Both of them were righteous before God, living blamelessly according to all the commandments and regulations of the Lord. "

So Luke was wrong about Zechariah and Elizabeth?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

"There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still." Betsy ten Boom

"God in His deepest mystery is not a solitude, but a family, since He has in Himself fatherhood, sonship, and the essence of the family, which is love." John Paul II

’Then Mary said, ‘Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.’ One of the greatest responses in all of scripture.

Comment

Originally posted by rldlolbeding View Post

Luke 1:5-6, "In the days of King Herod of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly order of Abijah. His wife was a descendant of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. Both of them were righteous before God, living blamelessly according to all the commandments and regulations of the Lord. "

Seems to be necessary to quote this one again:

If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless. (Phil. 3:4-6)

... in contrast to ...

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. (Rom. 7:14-20)

What Paul demonstrates is that it is possible to follow the Law to the letter, yet being a wretched sinner sold as a slave to sin. Food for thought.

Comment

No, are you kidding me? You are wrong in your understanding of what blameless before the law means.

Three things...

1) "...by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin." (Rom 3:20) Unfortunately, Roman Catholics will never believe that.

and

2) Keeping all of the commandments and regulations of the law includes offering all of the appropriate sacrifices for one's personal sins

3) "Beware the dogs...[you] put no confidence in the flesh, although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless...It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all. Php 3:6; 1 Tim 1:15.

So because I'm certain you won't understand what's being pointed out here, the bottom line is, a Jew could be both blameless before all of the law of God, while at the same time being the foremost sinner of all sinners.

So I continue to call you to repentance and urge you submit to Gospel of Jesus Christ in faith or you will perish...!

Comment

King David was a man after God's own heart (Acts13:22), righteous. He committed murder and adultery, weren't they a sins.

Comment

How is that related to the op.

Comment

What a terrible thing to suggest.

What other "specific requirements" has Jesus made up to bring people down?

Reread in Mark 10:

17 And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” 20 And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.”21 And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

Would Jesus have loved the rich man if he had lied to Him? Look at this verse from John 14:

21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

Jesus loved him because he did keep the commands!

Blessings
                    May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Philomena View Post

What a terrible thing to suggest.

What other "specific requirements" has Jesus made up to bring people down?
                      I can think of 10 just off the top of my head.

The purpose of the LAW is to DEMONSTRATE to people that they're UNABLE to obey it consistently.

Comment

The purpose of the LAW is to DEMONSTRATE to people that they're UNABLE to obey it consistently.
                        Then John 14:21 is what?? Impossible?
                        May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

Comment

The purpose of the law is order and righteousness.

Why do you think that God has written it on our hearts?

Comment

Then John 14:21 is what?? Impossible?
                            Absolutely. Fortunately we have an advocate when we fall.

Comment

The purpose of the law is order and righteousness.

Why do you think that God has written it on our hearts?
                              SO that we'll KNOW when we fall short.

Comment

Working...
                              X