Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

What is the "righteousness of God"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the "righteousness of God"?

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

As for me, I think the “righteousness of God” to which St. Paul is making reference, is the “washing of regeneration” of the Holy Spirit. In other words, when men do the commandments, they achieve a righteousness of their own. That righteousness is not perfect. That’s why it is said that it does not “justify of all things”.

But the “righteousness of God” which is effected in the washing of regeneration, which we believe occurs in Baptism, does justify of all things. It washes away Original Sin and the temporal consequences of sin which kept the Old Testament Saints out of heaven. Heb 11

Acts 13:39 And by him (i.e. Jesus) all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

I believe the Catholic Church Teaches that in order to receive the “righteousness of God” one must first achieve a righteousness of their own, by keeping the Commandments.

Trent VI
    Chapter VI
    …and are therefore moved against sins by a certain hatred and detestation, to wit, by that penitence which must be performed before baptism: lastly, when they purpose to receive baptism, to begin a new life, and to keep the commandments of God…

And this explains what St. Paul meant when he traded his own righteousness for that righteousness which is of God, by faith, in Christ.

Philippians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

What say you?
    Pray!

The righteousness He gives to us by Grace through faith in Christv,Jesus our Lord.

Romans 3, NIV: Righteousness Through Faith

21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement,[i] through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith. 28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30 since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith.31
    And:
    2 Corinthians 5:21 English Standard Version (ESV)

21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
    Baptism is certainly one way to receive God's righteousness but it is NOT the ONLY way; faith is the other way. And we receive God's righteousness when we believe in His Son for salvation,great and free.

But this part of your post is dangerously heretical:"As for me, I think the “righteousness of God” to which St. Paul is making reference, is the “washing of regeneration” of the Holy Spirit. In other words, when men do the commandments, they achieve a righteousness of their own. That righteousness is not perfect. That’s why it is said that it does not “justify of all things”."

Tell me, can men "do" the commandments perfectly? You say that "righteousness" isn't perfect, which I presume means we cannot keep the commandments perfectly. But Jesus tells us "be you perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect." BE PERFECT. NOT "TRY to be perfect."

But remember what James wrote? That if we "keep the whole law but stumble in one point, WE ARE GUILTY OF ALL OF IT."

And Paul quotes the OT when he wrote (Romans 3, NIV)

“There is no one righteous, not even one;
    11 there is no one who understands;
    there is no one who seeks God.
    12 All have turned away,
    they have together become worthless;
    there is no one who does good,
    not even one.”[b]
    13 “Their throats are open graves;
    their tongues practice deceit.”[c]
    “The poison of vipers is on their lips.”[d]
    14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”[e]
    15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
    16 ruin and misery mark their ways,
    17 and the way of peace they do not know.”[f]
    18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”[g]

19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.
    And attempting to obey the commandments is a "work" of the Law, is it not?

So, no one can achieve any kind of righteousness in God's eyes, by imperfectly keeping the commandments. It is impossible for us to do so, since we are, by nature, "children of wrath." But when we trust in Jesus Christ ONLY for our salvation, we then "put on Christ" and HIS righteousness is then imputed to us. HIS righteousness then becomes OURS but by faith, not by works of any kind.

Last edited by Bonnie; 08-03-19, 12:42 PM.
    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
    “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
    "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

Comment

Here is an excellent sermon about this:

http://lcrwtvl.org/2015/10/reformati...321-28-102515/

So, if the keeping of the Law is not the way to settle our debt with God and turn off the noise in our head, what is?

Paul answers, “But now…” The great turning point from the cacophony of condemnation under the Law – to the quite peace with God that we long for, is captured in those two, simple words, “But now…”

“But now, the righteousness of God has been manifested APART FROM THE LAW.” All attempts to silence the guilty conscience by KEEPING the Law or DENYING the Law or REDEFINING the Law or IGNORING the Law are useless.

In fact, the more you try to turn off the noise by keeping the law the LOUDER IT GETS.

But don’t think for one minute that God has given us His Law because He loves to turn up the volume on our sin and guilt just to torment and punish us. No.

He lays down His LAW and will keep turning the volume up on our guilt by it, until we have had enough with trying to find peace with God through the Law and cry out, “LORD, HAVE MERCY UPON ME.” Now, we’re ready for His GOSPEL.

All who have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God “are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.” (Rom. 3:21-25).

This was the big breakthrough for Luther. AND IT’S OURS TOO! Luther writes, “I concluded that life must be derived from FAITH, not as I thought, by WORKS. Then the entire Holy Scriptures became clear to me and heaven itself was open to me. I felt as I had been completely reborn and entered paradise though widely opened doors.” (What Luther Says).

God’s way of dealing with our debt to Him is not that we must pay it off through one, clever repayment scheme after another. His way of dealing with OUR debt to HIM, is to pay it off Himself in the incarnation and the life and the suffering and the death and the resurrection and the ascension of His Son, Jesus Christ.

On the cross, we see what an ‘INESTIMABLE’ price our sin has cost, and the ‘UNFATHOMABLE’ debt that we have before God.
      The "noise in our head" is our conscience, convicting us of our sins.

We cannot pay our debt to God, not in a million years of trying, because all our efforts will be tainted by sin and when we break ONE law we are guilty of ALL of them. We can ONLY throw ourselves on the mercy of the Lord and plead, along with the Publican "God be merciful. to me, a sinner!"
      "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
      "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
      “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
      "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Here is another sermon on the same subject, by the same pastor. It is one of the best sermons I have ever read or heard on the subject of sin and justificaton:

http://lcrwtvl.org/2013/10/reformati...romans-319-28/

"All fall short of the glory of God"--of His glorious perfection and holiness. And you are trying to say we can have our OWN righteousness by IMperfectly keeping the commandments? Really? But Paul cuts off every escape route we may devise, when he writes "ALL have sinned..."

ALL. There is NO ONE who does good no not one!

But wait!

So it turns out there is a distinction. All have not sinned. There is One who has not. “There is only one who is good.” And it’s not you. It’s Jesus Christ. It’s not about what you must do or have done. It’s ALL about what He came to do and has done FOR YOU.

He is the One and only One who has made the jump. He jumped down from heaven to earth to bear our sin and be our savior. He took all of your sins upon Himself and was judged by the Father for them. And the judgment was death. But He made the jump from death and the grave to life and the right hand of the Father. Even today, He makes the jump from the glory of the Father to this bread and this wine and to your lips and your mouth.

So, “we hold that one is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.” (vs.28) This is radical. It changes everything. It makes all your good works and good deeds count for nothing toward your salvation.

Lot’s of folks don’t like this. Folks who have put a lot of work and energy into making the jump don’t’ like this. You mean it all counts for nothing? “Then what becomes of our boasting?”

Can you see why, when you wave your good works in God’s face you’re really making things worse, not better, for yourself? It sure sounds like you don’t really need Jesus, who suffered and died for you. Or that you only need Him for some coaching and advice on how to be a better jumper.

What fools we are. Repent. “Let every mouth be stopped.” For once in your life, shut up .and just ‘stand still.’ Just ‘listen.’

There is no need to “put forward” your good works to God. Because He has “put forward Christ Jesus, as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith.”
        So, there is NO room for boasting; NO ROOM for waving our "righteousness" before God, and hoping He will give us credit at least for TRYING. Nope. For ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. ALL--but One--Christ Jesus the righteous. HIS righteousness is imputed to us BY FAITH IN HIM. it is on the basis of faith in Jesus Christ, NOT on the basis of works we have tried to do in righteousness. NOT on the basis of ANY works.

I hope someday you and every Catholic on here comes to understand this in a spiritual way, so that they put their trust and confidence to save them, instead of obedience to their Church. For their church cannot save them--ONLY JESUS SAVES and SAVES COMPLETELY.

Comment

Originally posted by De Maria View Post
          Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

As for me, I think the “righteousness of God” to which St. Paul is making reference, is the “washing of regeneration” of the Holy Spirit. In other words,
          But the “righteousness of God” which is effected in the washing of regeneration, which we believe occurs in Baptism, does justify of all things. It washes away Original Sin ...
          As for thee, thou thinkest wrongly; the washing of regeneration occurs through washing of the word.

... and the temporal consequences of sin which kept the Old Testament Saints out of heaven. Heb 11
          OT saints were kept out of heaven until Christ's shed blood, death, burial, and resurrection.

...when men do the commandments, they achieve a righteousness of their own. That righteousness is not perfect. That’s why it is said that it does not “justify of all things”.
          Are you stating that one's own righteousness justifies some things?

Acts 13:39 And by him (i.e. Jesus) all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

I believe the Catholic Church Teaches that in order to receive the “righteousness of God” one must first achieve a righteousness of their own, by keeping the Commandments.
          Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
          1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Comment

As for me, I think the “righteousness of God” to which St. Paul is making reference, is the “washing of regeneration” of the Holy Spirit. In other words, when men do the commandments, they achieve a righteousness of their own. That righteousness is not perfect. That’s why it is said that it does not “justify of all things”.

But the “righteousness of God” which is effected in the washing of regeneration, which we believe occurs in Baptism, does justify of all things. It washes away Original Sin and the temporal consequences of sin which kept the Old Testament Saints out of heaven. Heb 11

Trent VI
            Chapter VI
            …and are therefore moved against sins by a certain hatred and detestation, to wit, by that penitence which must be performed before baptism: lastly, when they purpose to receive baptism, to begin a new life, and to keep the commandments of God…

And this explains what St. Paul meant when he traded his own righteousness for that righteousness which is of God, by faith, in Christ.

Philippians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

What say you?
            Romans 3:10...“There is no one righteous, not even one.11There is no one who understands, no one who seeks God.12All have turned away;
            they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.

Under your understanding no man could be accounted as righteous ..THAT is why we need to clothe ourself in the righteousness of Christ

Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

Comment

So your question is, "what is the righteousness of God?"
              That's a good question, for many (most? all?) Catholics need to learn the true meaning.

God is Holy, which means He does not stand for sin. To be in His presence, we must be without sin. This is why God gave the Mosaic Law, which is His holiness standard. Hypothetically speaking, in order to be righteous, we must PERFECTLY obey the Law. I say "hypothetically", because no one can do it. And in fact, Rom. 3:19-20 tells us that NOBODY can keep the law, but that the purpose of the law was to CONVICT us of sin and to leave us SPEECHLESS in the face of a Holy God.

So because we cannot become righteous by our works, we must get our righteousness from Christ, who is our righteousness. Christ was our sacrificial lamb, and He took our sins upon His shoulders, in the same way the sins of Israel were placed on the goat. And by living a perfect and sinless life, Christ's sacrifice on the cross was the perfect atonement (as a lamb without blemish), and He demonstrated perfect righteousness. And just as He took our sins upon Himself, He also clothed us in His righteousness. This is the "great exchange", Christ took on our sins, and He gave us His righteousness. We are righteous ONLY because we are "in Christ".

Trent VI
              Chapter VI

Well, this is interesting... It sounds like you're saying that we can "trade up", as it were. Be as righteous as you can, and then "trade" in that "partial righteousness" for the righteousness of God, which is perfect?

Unfortunately for you, the Bible NEVER teaches any such nonsense..... Although it seems very similar to Mormon teachings, where "they are saved by grace after all you can do", which to them means they do as well as they can, and then God makes up the difference.

I have absolutely NO IDEA where you get the idea of "trading righteousness" here, as it is completely ABSENT from this passage. Paul explicitly DENIES having his "own righteousness". I guess you are ASSUMING that Paul at one time "did" have his own righteousness, and you ASSUME that the reason he no longer (?!) has it because he "traded" it?

Sorry, that is nowhere in the passage.

Over and over again, Scripture CONTRASTS justification by works/law with justification by faith:

Rom. 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Gal. 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Gal. 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Gal. 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Phil. 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

And this contrast between man's righteousness and God's righteousness parallels the contrast given by faith and works (Eph. 2:8-9, Rom. 4:1-5, Rom. 11:5-6, 2 Tim. 1:9, Tit. 3:5).
              "We are not to understand the other side; we are to discuss to expound the truth." -- A misguided apologist
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------
              "The Law is a storm which wrecks your hopes of self-salvation,
              but washes you upon the Rock of Ages."
              -- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comment

I just happened to stumble upon this while responding to another thread.

It's from the Heidelberg Catechism:
                60. Q. How are you righteous before God?
                A. Only by true faith in Jesus Christ. 1
                Although my conscience accuses me
                that I have grievously sinned
                against all God's commandments,
                have never kept any of them, 2
                and am still inclined to all evil, 3
                yet God, without any merit of my own, 4
                out of mere grace, 5
                imputes to me
                the perfect satisfaction,
                righteousness, and holiness of Christ. 6
                He grants these to me
                as if I had never had nor committed
                any sin,
                and as if I myself had accomplished
                all the obedience
                which Christ has rendered for me, 7
                if only I accept this gift
                with a believing heart. 8
                • 1.Rom 3:21-28; Gal 2:16; Eph 2:8, 9; Phil 3:8-11.
                • 2.Rom 3:9, 10.
                • 3.Rom 7:23.
                • 4.Deut 9:6; Ezek 36:22; Tit 3:4, 5.
                • 5.Rom 3:24; Eph 2:8.
                • 6.Rom 4:3-5; 2 Cor 5:17-19; 1 Jn 2:1, 2.
                • 7.Rom 4:24, 25; 2 Cor 5:21.
                • 8.Jn 3:18; Acts 16:30, 31; Rom 3:22.
                61. Q. Why do you say that you are righteous only by faith?
                A. Not that I am acceptable to God
                on account of the worthiness
                of my faith,
                for only the satisfaction, righteousness,
                and holiness of Christ
                is my righteousness before God. 1
                I can receive this righteousness
                and make it my own
                by faith only. 2
                • 1.1 Cor 1:30, 31; 2:2.
                • 2.Rom 10:10; 1 Jn 5:10-12.
                "We are not to understand the other side; we are to discuss to expound the truth." -- A misguided apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
                  The righteousness He gives to us by Grace through faith in Christv,Jesus our Lord.
                  Ok.

And:

Baptism is certainly one way to receive God's righteousness
                  So, you don't deny that we receive this righteousness in the Sacraments? Good.

but it is NOT the ONLY way; faith is the other way....
                  I disagree that it's another way. It is by the faith we express in the action of God in the Sacraments.
                  But that's besides the point. Do you agree that the righteousness of God is the washing of regeneration.
                  The thorough washing away of our sins creating us a new person?

Sorry, I don't have time to listen to all those sermons. Thanks though.
                  Perhaps others will like them.
                  Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutGallery View Post
                    As for thee, thou thinkest wrongly; the washing of regeneration occurs through washing of the word.
                    So, you don't agree that the washing of regeneration is the "righteousness of God"? Ok.
                    So, what is the righteousness of God, then?

Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by Calsgal View Post

Romans 3:10...“There is no one righteous, not even one.11There is no one who understands, no one who seeks God.12All have turned away;
                      they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.

Under your understanding no man could be accounted as righteous ..THAT is why we need to clothe ourself in the righteousness of Christ
                      Ok, so you think I'm wrong. But, then, if I'm wrong, what do you think is right?
                      What is the righteousness of God? If it isn't the washing of regeneration, what is it?

Or do you think it's fair to simply say, "you're wrong" without explaining what is right?
                      Pray!

Comment

First, thanks for, at least, addressing the question. No one else has.

Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post

So your question is, "what is the righteousness of God?"....God is Holy, which means He does not stand for sin. To be in His presence, we must be without sin. This is why God gave the Mosaic Law, which is His holiness standard. Hypothetically speaking, in order to be righteous, we must PERFECTLY obey the Law. I say "hypothetically", because no one can do it. And in fact, Rom. 3:19-20 tells us that NOBODY can keep the law, but that the purpose of the law was to CONVICT us of sin and to leave us SPEECHLESS in the face of a Holy God.

So because we cannot become righteous by our works, we must get our righteousness from Christ, who is our righteousness. Christ was our sacrificial lamb, and He took our sins upon His shoulders, in the same way the sins of Israel were placed on the goat. And by living a perfect and sinless life, Christ's sacrifice on the cross was the perfect atonement (as a lamb without blemish), and He demonstrated perfect righteousness. And just as He took our sins upon Himself, He also clothed us in His righteousness. This is the "great exchange", Christ took on our sins, and He gave us His righteousness. We are righteous ONLY because we are "in Christ".
                        Basically, you're saying that the "righteousness of God" is Christ?

Well, this is interesting... It sounds like you're saying that we can "trade up", as it were. Be as righteous as you can, and then "trade" in that "partial righteousness" for the righteousness of God, which is perfect?
                        Hm? If you can't trade up, then what are you talking about? If you claim that God gives us the righteousness of Christ to replace our lack of righteousness, why
                        can't He give us the righteousness of Christ to replace our partial righteousness?

Unfortunately for you, the Bible NEVER teaches any such nonsense..... Although it seems very similar to Mormon teachings, where "they are saved by grace after all you can do", which to them means they do as well as they can, and then God makes up the difference.
                        If you read Scripture, you see that St. Paul speaks of people obtaining their own righteousness
                        by keeping the Law.

I have absolutely NO IDEA where you get the idea of "trading righteousness" here, as it is completely ABSENT from this passage. Paul explicitly DENIES having his "own righteousness". I guess you are ASSUMING that Paul at one time "did" have his own righteousness, and you ASSUME that the reason he no longer (?!) has it because he "traded" it?
                        It's basically the same concept as you're talking about, except that Scripture denies that God acquits the
                        guilty. That's what you're talking about.

Whereas, God does reward the righteous and Scripture continually speaks about that. So, if God
                        exchanges His righteousness for our partial righteousness, that is within the Teaching of Scripture.
                        Whereas your idea is anathema to Scripture.

Sorry, that is nowhere in the passage.
                        Sorry, it's there.

Over and over again, Scripture CONTRASTS justification by works/law with justification by faith:

Rom. 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Gal. 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Gal. 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Gal. 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Phil. 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

And this contrast between man's righteousness and God's righteousness parallels the contrast given by faith and works (Eph. 2:8-9, Rom. 4:1-5, Rom. 11:5-6, 2 Tim. 1:9, Tit. 3:5).

The only people that God justifies are those who keep the Law. Rom 2:13.

But that's not the point of this thread. I'm just ascertaining what is the "righteousness of God."

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
                        Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post

I just happened to stumble upon this while responding to another thread.

It's from the Heidelberg Catechism:
                          60. Q. How are you righteous before God?
                          A. Only by true faith in Jesus Christ. 1
                          Although my conscience accuses me
                          that I have grievously sinned
                          against all God's commandments,
                          have never kept any of them, 2
                          and am still inclined to all evil, 3
                          yet God, without any merit of my own, 4
                          out of mere grace, 5
                          imputes to me
                          the perfect satisfaction,
                          righteousness, and holiness of Christ. 6
                          He grants these to me
                          as if I had never had nor committed
                          any sin,
                          and as if I myself had accomplished
                          all the obedience
                          which Christ has rendered for me, 7
                          if only I accept this gift
                          with a believing heart. 8
                          • 1.Rom 3:21-28; Gal 2:16; Eph 2:8, 9; Phil 3:8-11.
                          • 2.Rom 3:9, 10.
                          • 3.Rom 7:23.
                          • 4.Deut 9:6; Ezek 36:22; Tit 3:4, 5.
                          • 5.Rom 3:24; Eph 2:8.
                          • 6.Rom 4:3-5; 2 Cor 5:17-19; 1 Jn 2:1, 2.
                          • 7.Rom 4:24, 25; 2 Cor 5:21.
                          • 8.Jn 3:18; Acts 16:30, 31; Rom 3:22.
                          61. Q. Why do you say that you are righteous only by faith?
                          A. Not that I am acceptable to God
                          on account of the worthiness
                          of my faith,
                          for only the satisfaction, righteousness,
                          and holiness of Christ
                          is my righteousness before God. 1
                          I can receive this righteousness
                          and make it my own
                          by faith only. 2
                          • 1.1 Cor 1:30, 31; 2:2.
                          • 2.Rom 10:10; 1 Jn 5:10-12.
                          My favorite Catechism..

Comment

Ok, so you think I'm wrong. But, then, if I'm wrong, what do you think is right?
                            What is the righteousness of God? If it isn't the washing of regeneration, what is it?

Or do you think it's fair to simply say, "you're wrong" without explaining what is right?
                            If you do not know or understand the righteousness of God I can not help you ...

That righteousness that we can never humanly achieve is inputed to those He elects

Comment

Basically, you're saying that the "righteousness of God" is Christ?
                              The righteousness of God is Christ's SACRIFICE on the CROSS!

Hm? If you can't trade up, then what are you talking about?
                              Where does the Bible teach that you allegedly CAN "trade up"?!
                              NOWHERE.

If you claim that God gives us the righteousness of Christ to replace our lack of righteousness,
                              That's nonsensical.
                              Since we have NO righteousness, there is nothing to "trade" or "replace".

You're engaging in stupid word games.

When I got my first car, I didn't "trade" cars.
                              When I got my first car, I didn't "replace" an alleged "lack of car".

There is a saying Evangelicals have, "the EMPTY hand of faith".

There is a hymn that Christians sing, called "Rock of Ages".
                              Part of the lyrics include the following:

"Nothing in my hand I bring
                              Simply to Thy cross I cling

Naked, come to Thee for dress
                              Helpless, look to Thee for grace
                              Vile, I to the fountain fly
                              Wash me, savior, or I die"

why?
                              can't He give us the righteousness of Christ to replace our partial righteousness?
                              Because we don't HAVE any "partial righteousness".

If you read Scripture, you see that St. Paul speaks of people obtaining their own righteousness
                              by keeping the Law.
                              Wrong.
                              There is ZERO evidence that the set of "people obtaining their own righteousness by keeping the law" is anything other than ZERO.

But if you CLAIM to like Paul, then why do you refuse to believe what he ACTUALLY taught?!

Rom. 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Rom. 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

Rom. 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

Gal. 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Gal. 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

It's basically the same concept as you're talking about, except that Scripture denies that God acquits the
                              guilty. That's what you're talking about.
                              No, of course not.
                              Christ PAID THE PRICE.

We are not "acquitted.
                              We are GUILTY.
                              And Christ paid our punishment.

Whereas, God does reward the righteous and Scripture continually speaks about that. So, if God
                              exchanges His righteousness for our partial righteousness, that is within the Teaching of Scripture.
                              YOU are the only one denying Scripture.
                              See above.

Sorry, it's there.
                              No, it's not.

The only people that God justifies are those who keep the Law. Rom 2:13.
                              Your MISINTERPRETATION of Rom. 2:13 is clearly demonstrated above, and contradicted by all the passages of Paul that I've quoted above.

Again, you need to NOT STOP READING at 2:13, and continue reading all the way through to Rom. 3:19-20:

Rom. 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

But that's not the point of this thread. I'm just ascertaining what is the "righteousness of God."
                              Asked and answered.
                              But you refuse to accept the answer, because the Bible contradicts Roman Catholicism.

That's why you CANNOT address any of the passages I've quoted.

That's why you CANNOT provide any Scriptures that teach Paul "traded" his righteousness for Christ's.

That's why you CANNOT provide any Scriptures that teach that sinners can be "partially righteous".

Comment

Working...
                              X