Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

If Perchance Rome Is Mistaken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Perchance Rome Is Mistaken

My eldest brother was ordained to the priesthood in 1965 and remained so for 53 years prior to passing away at the age of 78 in May of 2018. (For convenience sake, call him Larry)

Larry graduated from the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome. He taught at the University of San Diego and has served in parishes in San Diego, Mexico, Portland, the Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation, and Huntington Beach. Larry served as the Director of Pastoral Ministry and the first Rector of the Conventual Church of Our Lady of the Angels at the Franciscan Renewal Center, Scottsdale, Arizona.

In 1973, he served at University of San Diego as an Assistant Professor of Religious Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences. Larry then served as the University Chaplain and Director of Campus Ministry from September 1974 until June 1984.

Larry entered the Franciscan Order to become a Friar in 1987 after serving as a priest of the Diocese of San Diego for 22 years. During his semi-retirement years, Larry, he was a priest at the Mission San Luis Rey in Oceanside, California.

Supposing (this is only supposing, not alleging) Rome's version of Christianity is mistaken? The ramifications of that are too awful to contemplate. It would mean that my deceased brother is right now, this very moment, in Hell regardless of the quality and the extent of his devotion to The Church. It would also mean that my brother was a minister of darkness rather than light; thus everyone he influenced was led down a path leading directly to the lake of brimstone depicted at Rev 20:11-15 where they would be facing a mode of death akin to a foundry worker falling into a kettle of molten iron.

I can only imagine the crushing, unspeakable, disappointment that my brother will undergo if it turns out that all the while he sincerely believed himself serving Christ's best interests, he was actually serving the Devil's.
    _

Originally posted by Od:hgd View Post
    My eldest brother was ordained to the priesthood in 1965 and remained so for 53 years prior to passing away at the age of 78 in May of 2018. (For convenience sake, call him Larry)

Larry graduated from the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome. He taught at the University of San Diego and has served in parishes in San Diego, Mexico, Portland, the Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation, and Huntington Beach. Larry served as the Director of Pastoral Ministry and the first Rector of the Conventual Church of Our Lady of the Angels at the Franciscan Renewal Center, Scottsdale, Arizona.

In 1973, he served at University of San Diego as an Assistant Professor of Religious Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences. Larry then served as the University Chaplain and Director of Campus Ministry from September 1974 until June 1984.

Larry entered the Franciscan Order to become a Friar in 1987 after serving as a priest of the Diocese of San Diego for 22 years. During his semi-retirement years, Larry, he was a priest at the Mission San Luis Rey in Oceanside, California.

Supposing (this is only supposing, not alleging) Rome's version of Christianity is mistaken? The ramifications of that are too awful to contemplate. It would mean that my deceased brother is right now, this very moment, in Hell regardless of the quality and the extent of his devotion to The Church. It would also mean that my brother was a minister of darkness rather than light; thus everyone he influenced was led down a path leading directly to the lake of brimstone depicted at Rev 20:11-15 where they would be facing a mode of death akin to a foundry worker falling into a kettle of molten iron.

I can only imagine the crushing, unspeakable, disappointment that my brother will undergo if it turns out that all the while he sincerely believed himself serving Christ's best interests, he was actually serving the Devil's.
    _
    Thats entirely too bad. Lots of people give their lives to the wrong thing/god.
    Phil 3:4-8
    4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: 5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless. 7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish in order that I may gain Christ, NASB
    Paul had some pretty good credentials as well. But apart from Christ he counts it all as rubbish. Rubbish in the greek is skubalon which means dung. Sorry for your brother. But many of us have said multiple times here, people can be very sincere and be sincerely wrong. People are either born again or they aren't.

And yes, rome is 100% wrong on many things; jesus, the gospel, sin, grace, atonement.....They get none of it right.
    Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

And on the off-chance your brother was right, then a lot of Protestants may be in the same situation.
      Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

Comment

_

It sounds like your brother is in good hands to me. I suggest that (just suggesting, not alleging) the non-Catholic denominations were mistaken. For them it would mean they might be, this very moment, not working in the true faith and deserving of the condemnation you seem to be wishing on brother. I'm able to imagine the crushing, unspeakable, disappointment that you might be headed to.

JoeT
        Sigillum Militum Χρisti † / "Truth exists. The Incarnation happened."

Totus Tuus, "Totally yours . . . Keep me in this union".

Comment

Originally posted by Og. View Post
          And on the off-chance your brother was right, then a lot of Protestants may be in the same situation.
          Lots of prots might be at that. But then again we are talking about christianity not the rcc or prots. None of your doctrines and dogmas are in the bible, mine are. Your jesus is a wafer, mine is aptly described in Rev 1

Rev 1:12-19
          12 And I turned to see the voice that was speaking with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands; 13 and in the middle of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed in a robe reaching to the feet, and girded across His breast with a golden girdle. 14 And His head and His hair were white like white wool, like snow; and His eyes were like a flame of fire; 15 and His feet were like burnished bronze, when it has been caused to glow in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters. 16 And in His right hand He held seven stars; and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength. 17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as a dead man. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, 18 and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.
          NASB
          Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

Originally posted by JoeT View Post

It sounds like your brother is in good hands to me. I suggest that (just suggesting, not alleging) the non-Catholic denominations were mistaken. For them it would mean they might be, this very moment, not working in the true faith and deserving of the condemnation you seem to be wishing on brother. I'm able to imagine the crushing, unspeakable, disappointment that you might be headed to.

JoeT
            Anyone that does not go through the door (Jesus) is a robber and a thief. The rcc offers many ways to heaven through many saviors. Its false gospel and false jesus are two of the many major theological errors of your church. Clinging to them will result in hell. Thats the sad truth. Repent while there is time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

Lots of prots might be at that. But then again we are talking about christianity not the rcc or prots. None of your doctrines and dogmas are in the bible, mine are. Your jesus is a wafer, mine is aptly described in Rev 1
              If Father Larry is right, then many nondenoms who consider themselves true Christians may also be in trouble.
              Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

Comment

If Father Larry is right, then many nondenoms who consider themselves true Christians may also be in trouble.
                Saying youre a christian doesn't mean you are one. Professing and possessing are two different things. The rcc has no authentic, biblical doctrines. They are all man made. Hence false.

Comment

_
                  There are very kind and devoted Buddhist priests and Mormon "priests" . There are very kind people in false religions.. none of that has any currency at the judgement seat ...
                  Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

Comment

RCC's religion is based on "off-chance"?
                    Scripture states otherwise:
                    1John 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
                    1John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
                    That You May Know
                    1John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
                    1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Comment

It sounds like your brother is in good hands to me.
                      "sounds like"? Is this the best you and Og offer to Od:hgd?

Rom 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
                      Rom 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
                      1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Comment

Jas 3:1 . . Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, for you know that we who teach shall be judged with greater strictness.

That's one of the very reasons why I will never volunteer to teach Sunday school nor allow myself to be recruited for it. John Q and Jane Doe pew warmer are going to have it very, very easy in comparison to the elite members of Christianity when we all stand before Christ in turn for the final evaluation. And if the judgment for teachers is going to be strict; will judgment for those in positions of authority be any less severe? Ouch!
                        _

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutGallery View Post
                          "sounds like"? Is this the best you and Og offer to Od:hgd?

Rom 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
                          Rom 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
                          It didn't sound like it was concern being expressed. Od:hgd assumes his brother is in hell because of his Catholic faith. To me it's not the brother I worry about, he was a great hero. It's Od:hgd that has difficulty with the knowlege of the true faith. If ignorance derserves hell and damnation it's not the brother who is deserving.

JoeT

Comment

Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

Anyone that does not go through the door (Jesus) is a robber and a thief.
                            The "door", Jesus, is a portal to His own Kingdom, the Catholic Church which ministers to the sacraments of eternal life.

JoeT

Comment

The "door", Jesus, is a portal to His own Kingdom, the Catholic Church which ministers to the sacraments of eternal life.

JoeT
                              lol

Comment

Working...
                              X