Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Priest out of uniform?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priest out of uniform?

The last time I attended a mass in the RCC, it was for a funeral. The clergyman wore the traditional RC vestments for the occasion, but I noticed the priest was wearing Air Jordan athletic shoes on his feet. Is this considered to be a breach of Catholic rules? It sort of seemed out of place.

I can sympathize with the priest if he has bad feet, but there are other comfortable shoes out there, SAS and Ecco make comfortable footwear that is a lot classier and would look more appropriate IMHO. Fancy athletic shoes just seemed inappropriate.

What are the Magisterium's rules on shoes that Catholic clergy should wear for religious ceremonies?

Originally posted by Southsider View Post
    The last time I attended a mass in the RCC, it was for a funeral. The clergyman wore the traditional RC vestments for the occasion, but I noticed the priest was wearing Air Jordan athletic shoes on his feet. Is this considered to be a breach of Catholic rules? It sort of seemed out of place.

I can sympathize with the priest if he has bad feet, but there are other comfortable shoes out there, SAS and Ecco make comfortable footwear that is a lot classier and would look more appropriate IMHO. Fancy athletic shoes just seemed inappropriate.

What are the Magisterium's rules on shoes that Catholic clergy should wear for religious ceremonies?
    Hi Southsider,

The Magisterium does not have any say as to what shoes a priest may or may not wear.

Let us pray for one another and love one another.
    -Ray-

The Good News is that Jesus Christ died and rose for our sins so that we might be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by relling View Post

Hi Southsider,

The Magisterium does not have any say as to what shoes a priest may or may not wear.

How would you know?

Comment

Hi Southsider,

Actually, the Magisterium does have plenty to say about footwear- whether it covers the situation I was witness to was my question.

The RCC has some classes of friars, priests and monks who wear sandals as part of their uniform, and others who are "discalced" or barefoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Angels_Sing View Post

How would you know?
          I know the purpose of the Magisterium and it's purpose has nothing to do with clerical garb.

Let us pray for one another and love one another

-Ray-

The Good News is that Jesus Christ died and rose for our sins so that we might be saved.

Comment

Actually, the Magisterium does have plenty to say about footwear- whether it covers the situation I was witness to was my question.

The RCC has some classes of friars, priests and monks who wear sandals as part of their uniform, and others who are "discalced" or barefoot.
            Hi Southsider,

The magisterium is the teaching office of the Catholic Church. It teaches on faith and morals, not priests clothing.

-Ray-

Comment

I know the purpose of the Magisterium and it's purpose has nothing to do with clerical garb.

Let us pray for one another and love one another
              Just telling me you know isn't enough, I asked how you would know.

Comment

Hi Southsider,

The magisterium is the teaching office of the Catholic Church. It teaches on faith and morals, not priests clothing.

So it has nothing to do with "faith" in the RCC as to what kind of clothes the priests and other officials of the outfit wear? It would be proper to, theoretically, a Catholic priest to preach a mass wearing a clown's outfit?

Comment

I personally don't know all the regulations for Catholic clergy, but there are instructions for vestments to be worn by the priest in the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM). It doesn't specify what "ordinary clothing" is allowed to be worn underneath the vestments, and I'm assuming that includes footwear, so without knowing more, I'm assuming it's left to personal discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by smiley View Post

I personally don't know all the regulations for Catholic clergy, but there are instructions for vestments to be worn by the priest in the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM). It doesn't specify what "ordinary clothing" is allowed to be worn underneath the vestments, and I'm assuming that includes footwear, so without knowing more, I'm assuming it's left to personal discretion.
                    Some old school RCC churches do have regulations including the ban of tennis shoes in church. Apparently, that was not in effect at the place I attended the funeral mass--although even if it was, as a non-catholic, I wouldn't have had standing to call out the priest for it.

https://www.olqmfraser.org/site/about_us.php

Comment

Some old school RCC churches do have regulations including the ban of tennis shoes in church. Apparently, that was not in effect at the place I attended the funeral mass--although even if it was, as a non-catholic, I wouldn't have had standing to call out the priest for it.

https://www.olqmfraser.org/site/about_us.php
                      Interesting, but somewhat expected. They seem like a very conservative parish.

I wouldn't call out a priest for the shoes he was wearing either, but then again i dont recall seeing any inappropriate shoes

Comment

Working...
                      X