Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Whatever Happened to the 'Charismatic Renewal' Within the RCC Back in the 70's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whatever Happened to the 'Charismatic Renewal' Within the RCC Back in the 70's?

    I was a new 'born-again' Christian and I went to a charismatic prayer meeting at a Roman Catholic Church that I had attended before I ever came to know the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior. It was a far cry from anything I had ever witnessed in over 27 years of being a Roman Catholic. There was a huge outpouring of the Holy Spirit at that time and many Roman Catholics were saved. That charismatic prayer meeting grew rapidly because former Roman Catholics and others were so hungry for God and His Word. The focus was on prayer directly to God (not to Mary or any saints), and the reading of Scripture. Many people were touched by God and by the power of His Word. Why did that charismatic renewal within the Roman Catholic Church all change and die off?
    RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Raynebeau View Post
    I was a new 'born-again' Christian and I went to a charismatic prayer meeting at a Roman Catholic Church that I had attended before I ever came to know the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior. It was a far cry from anything I had ever witnessed in over 27 years of being a Roman Catholic. There was a huge outpouring of the Holy Spirit at that time and many Roman Catholics were saved. That charismatic prayer meeting grew rapidly because former Roman Catholics and others were so hungry for God and His Word. The focus was on prayer directly to God (not to Mary or any saints), and the reading of Scripture. Many people were touched by God and by the power of His Word. Why did that charismatic renewal within the Roman Catholic Church all change and die off?
    "Revivals / Times of refreshing" are like that. they come at God's choosing (the Charismatic OUTPOURING came in about 1962, and stayed until the late '70s when it degenerated into the "Charismatic Movement"), and then end when they've accomplished that which God sent them for. Look at Christian history for examples, like the Pentecostal revival in 1900 - 1916, or the "Great Awakening" in 1730-1740. IT seems that we're about due for another "Time of refreshing" now.

    In 1975, ANY group of Christians gathered in Central Ohio would be about 1/2 Roman Catholic Born Again Spirit (tongues and all) filled Christians, and the Catholic churches were inviting Charismatic Protestants in to teach their people what was going on, since the Parish Priesthood didn't have a clue.

    The Vatican gave grudging Acceptance, but Cautioned that "NO DOGMA of the Catholic church could be called in question" - which of course the Catholic Christians didn't take all that seriously.

    SOME Catholic Christians stayed in the Catholic churches as "Missionaries", and spread their witness to their fellow Catholics, but most just "got out" into Protestant Churches that taught the truth.

    For the most part the "Fundamentalist Protestant Churches (Assembly of God, Baptist, Nazarene, etc.) wanted nothing to do with it and taught against it, while the Liberals (Lutheran, Methodist, United Church of Christ) jumped right in, and received the blessing. ANd for about 10 years, we were "just Christians" unencumbered by "Denominational fences". but then in the late '70s the outpouring ended, and we either "tried to keep it going" in independent Charismatic churches, or settled back into denominational churches - but changed personally, and as a result the denominational churches also changed.

    ONE MAJOR EFFECT of the Charismatic outpouring was that those of us who were in it were "Non-Denominationalized" - i.e. we all saw the relative unimportance of "Denominational theology" when compared with the Real truth of Scripture. You can see this in that Charismatic churches tended NOT to "Denominationalize", while in the Pentecostal revival, MANY Denominations were immediately formed (The AG being the largest, followed by the COGIC).

    SO the lasting effect for me (as a protestant believer) was that, while I am a member in good standing of, and a supporter of an Assembly of God "Visible church organization", the AG doesn't "Define" my beliefs. However, their overall "Belief Package" falls in the acceptable range for me, and so it's a "comfortable relationship".

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

      "Revivals / Times of refreshing" are like that. they come at God's choosing (the Charismatic OUTPOURING came in about 1962, and stayed until the late '70s when it degenerated into the "Charismatic Movement"), and then end when they've accomplished that which God sent them for. Look at Christian history for examples, like the Pentecostal revival in 1900 - 1916, or the "Great Awakening" in 1730-1740. IT seems that we're about due for another "Time of refreshing" now.

      In 1975, ANY group of Christians gathered in Central Ohio would be about 1/2 Roman Catholic Born Again Spirit (tongues and all) filled Christians, and the Catholic churches were inviting Charismatic Protestants in to teach their people what was going on, since the Parish Priesthood didn't have a clue.

      The Vatican gave grudging Acceptance, but Cautioned that "NO DOGMA of the Catholic church could be called in question" - which of course the Catholic Christians didn't take all that seriously.

      SOME Catholic Christians stayed in the Catholic churches as "Missionaries", and spread their witness to their fellow Catholics, but most just "got out" into Protestant Churches that taught the truth.

      For the most part the "Fundamentalist Protestant Churches (Assembly of God, Baptist, Nazarene, etc.) wanted nothing to do with it and taught against it, while the Liberals (Lutheran, Methodist, United Church of Christ) jumped right in, and received the blessing. ANd for about 10 years, we were "just Christians" unencumbered by "Denominational fences". but then in the late '70s the outpouring ended, and we either "tried to keep it going" in independent Charismatic churches, or settled back into denominational churches - but changed personally, and as a result the denominational churches also changed.

      ONE MAJOR EFFECT of the Charismatic outpouring was that those of us who were in it were "Non-Denominationalized" - i.e. we all saw the relative unimportance of "Denominational theology" when compared with the Real truth of Scripture. You can see this in that Charismatic churches tended NOT to "Denominationalize", while in the Pentecostal revival, MANY Denominations were immediately formed (The AG being the largest, followed by the COGIC).

      SO the lasting effect for me (as a protestant believer) was that, while I am a member in good standing of, and a supporter of an Assembly of God "Visible church organization", the AG doesn't "Define" my beliefs. However, their overall "Belief Package" falls in the acceptable range for me, and so it's a "comfortable relationship".
      Thanks Bob. I had heard from a good source that in the late 70's, RCC bishops began to issue directives that brought the movement firmly under the control of the RCC. It is said that they assigned liaisons to each group to "keep watch" and "help guarantee" the Roman Catholic orthodoxy. The teachings within RCC authorized books began to replace the Holy Scriptures. Back then the RCC clergy became more visible at the meetings, and the praying of the rosary became more prominent. Devotion to Mary and the celebration of the Mass became the focus. Praise be to God that the number of Roman Catholic clergy has taken such a belly-flop that their intrusion and spying at born-again Christian charismatic meetings, would no longer be an issue now. But x-RC's left these meetings, and these charismatic meetings did not succeed because of the encroachment of the RCC who were acting out the orders from their god at the Vatican.
      RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Raynebeau View Post
        I was a new 'born-again' Christian and I went to a charismatic prayer meeting at a Roman Catholic Church that I had attended before I ever came to know the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior. It was a far cry from anything I had ever witnessed in over 27 years of being a Roman Catholic. There was a huge outpouring of the Holy Spirit at that time and many Roman Catholics were saved. That charismatic prayer meeting grew rapidly because former Roman Catholics and others were so hungry for God and His Word. The focus was on prayer directly to God (not to Mary or any saints), and the reading of Scripture. Many people were touched by God and by the power of His Word. Why did that charismatic renewal within the Roman Catholic Church all change and die off?
        Rome never like that movement.. after I was saved I made fast friends with Charismatic Catholics that attended an AOC on Sunday nights.. I also attended several of their Wed night programs.. They were the only saved RCs I ever knew that stayed in the church.. It was like they were a sub group.. If you are a cultural RC it is very hard to leave.. it means losing friends and family ..also I think they were reluctant to give up the RC culture
        Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Raynebeau View Post

          Thanks Bob. I had heard from a good source that in the late 70's, RCC bishops began to issue directives that brought the movement firmly under the control of the RCC. It is said that they assigned liaisons to each group to "keep watch" and "help guarantee" the Roman Catholic orthodoxy. The teachings within RCC authorized books began to replace the Holy Scriptures. Back then the RCC clergy became more visible at the meetings, and the praying of the rosary became more prominent. Devotion to Mary and the celebration of the Mass became the focus. Praise be to God that the number of Roman Catholic clergy has taken such a belly-flop that their intrusion and spying at born-again Christian charismatic meetings, would no longer be an issue now. But x-RC's left these meetings, and these charismatic meetings did not succeed because of the encroachment of the RCC who were acting out the orders from their god at the Vatican.
          That also happened with the Cursillo movement ...the dioceses took control and soon the once flourishing movement went on life support
          Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Calsgal View Post

            Rome never like that movement.. after I was saved I made fast friends with Charismatic Catholics that attended an AOC on Sunday nights.. I also attended several of their Wed night programs.. They were the only saved RCs I ever knew that stayed in the church.. It was like they were a sub group.. If you are a cultural RC it is very hard to leave.. it means losing friends and family ..also I think they were reluctant to give up the RC culture
            Seems like everything got watered down and compromised by Rome, and so there was no longer any power in the movement, and so the Charismatic Renewal became just another form of Catholicism.
            There is a fairly new emergence of a type of evangelical-looking form of Roman Catholicism in certain countries, and it is spawning new claims that Rome is becoming more biblical. But once again the change is only external, as always. The new look if nothing more than old-time Roman Catholicism repackaged to capitalize on the success of the modern evangelical movement.
            RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

            Comment


            • #7
              Actually, the RCC Charismatic Movement started in Pittsburgh at Duquesne University in the mid-1960's. I think the original charismatics were really influenced by the late Kathryn Kuhlman who was active here as well back in the 60's and 70's.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Calsgal View Post

                Rome never like that movement.. after I was saved I made fast friends with Charismatic Catholics that attended an AOC on Sunday nights.. I also attended several of their Wed night programs.. They were the only saved RCs I ever knew that stayed in the church.. It was like they were a sub group.. If you are a cultural RC it is very hard to leave.. it means losing friends and family ..also I think they were reluctant to give up the RC culture
                Or they are reluctant to give up the actual Eucharist for grape juice and a cracker.
                Protestantism= have it your way theology

                Comment


                • #9
                  To answer the OP's question, the charismatic movement is alive and well within the Church. Very prominent in my neck of the woods. And it's not true that it's unwelcome, quite the contrary. Pope Francis has expressed his approval of it on many occasions.
                  Protestantism= have it your way theology

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by History_refutes_you View Post
                    To answer the OP's question, the charismatic movement is alive and well within the Church. Very prominent in my neck of the woods. And it's not true that it's unwelcome, quite the contrary. Pope Francis has expressed his approval of it on many occasions.
                    You must be one of those 'others' who think that Rome must be changing because they have heard of a particular parish where the priest, supposedly having been born again, is preaching the gospel each week at Mass. Occasionally a Roman Catholic priest does get saved, but he will not be wearing a Roman collar for long if he starts preaching the gospel, refuses to perform the Sacrifice of the Mass, stops leading prayers to Mary, and ceases to hear confession. Even if a number of such born-again priests could be found, with hundreds of thousands of Roman Catholic priests in the world, what 10, 20, or even 100 priests do would hardly be a trend or constitute "the charismatic movement" as being 'alive and well within the Church." The opposition that these priests would be sure to experience from the Church would be a better indicator of the true course on which the RCC Pope and Rome is heading.
                    RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by History_refutes_you View Post

                      Or they are reluctant to give up the actual Eucharist for grape juice and a cracker.
                      Brainwashed you mean?
                      Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X