Requiem for an "Ex" Catholic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requiem for an "Ex" Catholic

Roman Catholic teaching is that only death can separate someone from the RCC. If an RC quits attending for any reason, or is even excommunicated, they are still considered to be full members of the RCC.

This week, I will be attending a funeral for a woman who left the RCC has a child. I knew her dad, and he took the family out of Catholicism when she was a minor.

In circumstances like this, which I am sure happen regularly, how does the Magisterium know to update their lists and statistics to reflect the ex Catholic's death? Do funeral homes notify the Magisterium? Do the diocese hire staff to review death records?

Originally posted by Southsider View Post
    Roman Catholic teaching is that only death can separate someone from the RCC. If an RC quits attending for any reason, or is even excommunicated, they are still considered to be full members of the RCC.

This week, I will be attending a funeral for a woman who left the RCC has a child. I knew her dad, and he took the family out of Catholicism when she was a minor.

In circumstances like this, which I am sure happen regularly, how does the Magisterium know to update their lists and statistics to reflect the ex Catholic's death? Do funeral homes notify the Magisterium? Do the diocese hire staff to review death records?
    Hi Southsider,

The magisterium is the teaching office of the Church.

The magisterium has nothing to do with keeping track of the number of Catholics.

Let us pray for one another and love one another.
    -Ray-

The Good News is that Jesus Christ died and rose for our sins so that we might be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by relling View Post

Hi Southsider,

The magisterium is the teaching office of the Church.

The magisterium has nothing to do with keeping track of the number of Catholics.

I wonder if RCC's magesterium has delegated that duty to God in heaven.
      1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Comment

Translation: The Holy Roman Catholic Church HAS NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how many people that it CLAIMS are Roman Catholics actually have anything whatsoever to do with their organization, other than having their heads wet when they were infants.

I'm on the rolls as a Catholic, even though I've NEVER really had anything to do with the Catholic Church at all. My Wife (a Confirmed Catholic) is on the rolls as a Catholic, even though I pulled her OUT of the Catholic Church and into the Assemblies of God, back in '65.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

Translation: The Holy Roman Catholic Church HAS NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how many people that it CLAIMS are Roman Catholics actually have anything whatsoever to do with their organization, other than having their heads wet when they were infants.

I'm on the rolls as a Catholic, even though I've NEVER really had anything to do with the Catholic Church at all. My Wife (a Confirmed Catholic) is on the rolls as a Catholic, even though I pulled her OUT of the Catholic Church and into the Assemblies of God, back in '65.
          Hi Bob,

You and your wife are not on the "rolls" of the Catholic Church.

Also, how Catholics are removed from the rolls of the Catholic Church was the subject of a thread a month or two ago.
          We can go through that information again if you wish.

Let us pray for on another and love one another.
          -Ray-

The Good News is that Jesus Christ died and rose for our sins so that we might be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

So when you pass on, your executor will be calling the undertaker, letting social security know to discontinue the checks, and setting up the reading of your last will and testament. Will the administrator be calling the Magisterium and letting them know they can take you off their rolls? Since you aren't going to have an RC funeral mass, how else would they know?

Comment

You and your wife are not on the "rolls" of the Catholic Church.
              How does one go about checking if their names are blotted from the rolls?

Comment

Originally posted by Southsider View Post

?

The "lists and statistics" don't matter. What matters is the inner reality: is this person Catholic?

What makes us Catholic is Baptism. And a person cannot be "unbaptized", for by this sacrament they have been sealed for the day of redemption.

Blessings
                May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutGallery View Post
                  How does one go about checking if their names are blotted from the rolls?
                  Hi Peanut,

The "rolls" are based on registration in a parish.

Check with the parish you attended to see if you are still registered.

If you have not attended for more than a couple of years I guarantee you are not currently registered.

So there is no confusion, if you were baptized in the Catholic Church there is a record of when you received the sacrament in the parish where you were baptized.
                  That record is not used to count the number of current Catholics.

-Ray-

Comment

The "rolls" are based on registration in a parish.

Check with the parish you attended to see if you are still registered.

If you have not attended for more than a couple of years I guarantee you are not currently registered.

So there is no confusion, if you were baptized in the Catholic Church there is a record of when you received the sacrament in the parish where you were baptized.
                    That record is not used to count the number of current Catholics.
                    No need for me to request that my name be stricken from the registry, as it seems it has been automatically done for me.
                    Good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by Philomena View Post

?

The "lists and statistics" don't matter. What matters is the inner reality: is this person Catholic?

What makes us Catholic is Baptism. And a person cannot be "unbaptized", for by this sacrament they have been sealed for the day of redemption.

Blessings
                      Sounds very close to assurance of salvation Philomena.
                      Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

Working...
                      X