The Roman Catholic Sacrament Called "Penance"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Roman Catholic Sacrament Called "Penance"

"Penance" is a particular act, or acts, that are performed by Roman Catholics, and these acts' are considered as satisfaction offered to God as a reparation for the sins they have committed. Roman Catholic "penance" takes on many forms and may even involve acts of mortification, such as wearing a skin irritating garment that is woven of burlap or coarse animal hair, or making a religious pilgrimage to a shrine of Christ or of Mary or other Roman Catholic saints etc., actually, there are many other deeds Roman Catholics will perform as an 'act of penance.' When did Jesus ever say that this was the way to make reparation for their sins and attain eternal salvation?
    RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

Penance isn't a sacrament. In fact, it isn't even in the Bible. REpentence,however, IS. When we have sinned against someone and confess that sin, we should make reparations to the person we have sinned against, if possible. A repentant person would want to do that. But that isn't "penance"--something we do to earn forgiveness from God for our sin.
    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
    “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
    "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Raynebeau View Post
      "Penance" is a particular act, or acts, that are performed by Roman Catholics, and these acts' are considered as satisfaction offered to God as a reparation for the sins they have committed. Roman Catholic "penance" takes on many forms and may even involve acts of mortification, such as wearing a skin irritating garment that is woven of burlap or coarse animal hair, or making a religious pilgrimage to a shrine of Christ or of Mary or other Roman Catholic saints etc., actually, there are many other deeds Roman Catholics will perform as an 'act of penance.' When did Jesus ever say that this was the way to make reparation for their sins and attain eternal salvation?
      Never.

~~~My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My Father's hand~~~

Comment

When He said, "take up your cross and follow me."

Matthew 16:24Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple
        must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

Matthew 10:38Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

And, when He said that one must give up his life for his brothers:

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

This is corroborated in the Epistles where they say:

Colossians 1:24 Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh
        what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.

1 Peter 4:1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same
        attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin.
        Pray!

Comment

Originally posted by De Maria View Post

Matthew 10:38Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Colossians 1:24 Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh
          what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.

1 Peter 4:1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same
          These verses have zero to do with penance. They are about showing love for one another and about attitudes about suffering.

Try again.
          "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
          "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
          “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
          "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
            Penance isn't a sacrament. In fact, it isn't even in the Bible. REpentence,however, IS. When we have sinned against someone and confess that sin, we should make reparations to the person we have sinned against, if possible. A repentant person would want to do that. But that isn't "penance"--something we do to earn forgiveness from God for our sin.
            Hi Bonnie . No worries - the Roman Catholic Church has all the answers when it comes to why 'Penance' is one of their very own created 'sacraments.' They have cunningly persuaded their 'flock' to believe that 'Penance" is a sacrament designed specifically to deal with sins committed after baptism. Why, we ask! Well, the RCC's canned response is that because the grace that is received or infused in baptism can be entirely lost by what the RCC deems as deadly "mortal" sins. Mortal sin is held by the RCC to be deadly because they say it actually destroys the grace of God within a person, making salvation necessary AGAIN! Therefore the RCC came to the rescue of poor hapless Roman Catholic sinners, becausein their belief of their own finite wisdom, the RCC saw a need for a new sacrament in order to restore fallen Roman Catholics to the state of grace first received when they were baptized.
            RC's do know God, but the Bible indicates that it is a knowledge in condemnation, a knowledge enabling them to know things about themselves and the world around them, even though they suppress the truth of God which makes such knowledge possible.

Comment

Hi Bonnie . No worries - the Roman Catholic Church has all the answers when it comes to why 'Penance' is one of their very own created 'sacraments.' They have cunningly persuaded their 'flock' to believe that 'Penance" is a sacrament designed specifically to deal with sins committed after baptism. Why, we ask! Well, the RCC's canned response is that because the grace that is received or infused in baptism can be entirely lost by what the RCC deems as deadly "mortal" sins. Mortal sin is held by the RCC to be deadly because they say it actually destroys the grace of God within a person, making salvation necessary AGAIN! Therefore the RCC came to the rescue of poor hapless Roman Catholic sinners, becausein their belief of their own finite wisdom, the RCC saw a need for a new sacrament in order to restore fallen Roman Catholics to the state of grace first received when they were baptized.
              That is....weird. I seem to remember an RCCer on here, 15 years ago--Gusano?--who told me on here that Jesus' death only covered the sins of those who were alive when Jesus died. NOT now, which is why Catholics have Communion so often and consider it a "sacrifice." To cover our sins NOW. Another Catholic also told me that Communion in the RCC sort of taps into the original sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, in a sort of time warp scenario. Those are not the exact words, but similar. So, this "Penance" thing sounds similar to what those other Catholics told me.

Catholics must believe God's grace is awfully weak.

Comment

These verses have zero to do with penance. They are about showing love for one another and about attitudes about suffering.

Try again.
                Lol! They are precisely about penance and there are more. But you have none which
                deny the need for suffering and penance.

Acts 26:20First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles,
                I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.

Pray!

Comment

That is....weird. I seem to remember an RCCer on here, 15 years ago--Gusano?....
                  Lol! Someone calls himself "worm" and you believe he is infallible. But the Magisterium which has
                  stood for 2000 years, you reject?

Pray!

Comment

Lol! Someone calls himself "worm" and you believe he is infallible. But the Magisterium which has
                    stood for 2000 years,
                    you reject?
                    no it hasn't. it wasn't made up yet 2000 yrs ago. Even now it doesn't stand for Him.

"I was changed, redeemed, forgiven before the blood was dry.

The debt I owed was canceled in the twinkling of an eye."

Comment

Hogwash. There isn’t one hint in all of those verses that even suggests we must make amends for our sins. Or do you believe that following Jesus is a penance?

Your bishops and priests determine the manner of satisfaction a sinner must do; in addition they do penance with him. When’s the last time your priest did penance for you?

We’re all running out of track. I urge you to step out of your Catholic comfort zone and seek God for the truth before it's too late.
                      We are either in the process of resisting God's truth or in the process of being shaped and molded by his truth … Charles Stanley

Comment

Bonnie never said that.

We are either in the process of resisting God's truth or in the process of being shaped and molded by his truth … Charles Stanley

Comment

I’ve never heard of anyone being given a penance of mortification. And very, very, very rarely anything other than prayers.

Comment

The "Magisterium" was invented in the First Vatican Council (1868), along with "PAPAL INFALLIBILITY".

Comment

Lol! They are precisely about penance and there are more. But you have none which
                              deny the need for suffering and penance.

Acts 26:20First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles,
                              I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.
                              Is Rayne's definition of penance in the op correct, by your standards?

"Penance" is a particular act, or acts, that are performed by Roman Catholics, and these acts' are considered as satisfaction offered to God as a reparation for the sins they have committed.
                              2 Corinthians 5:7 ~ for we walk by faith, not by sight

Romans 10:9 ~ that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

Comment

Working...
                              X