Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

RCC has banned conversion of the Jews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCC has banned conversion of the Jews

Not just the Jewish people, but also Greek Orthodox people and Muslims, are also considered to be inappropriate targets for proselytization as the Catholic Magisterium as equated Islam's Allah deity with that of the RCC.

Yet, evangelical Christians are still considered to be appropriate candidates for conversion.

Is this likely to change, will Frank accept evangelicals, or is the opposition of evangelical a "bridge too far" due to disputes with the RCC on abortion and gay marriage?

Are you referring to some specific document or pronouncement?
    "Do whatever He tells you." [John 2:5 (RSVCE)]

Comment

Pope Francis makes a distinction between proselytization and evangelization. Proselytization is trying to get more names on your denomination roster, evangelization is introducing people to a lifelong relationship with Jesus. Proselytization without evangelization is an empty exercise, and it doesn’t respect the eternal value of the person you are trying to convert, it treats them as statistics rather than individuals. It’s similar to some evangelical preachers who put so much effort into getting people to make “decisions for Jesus” but then put no effort into training those people as disciples.
      Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

Comment

Originally posted by Og. View Post
        Proselytization is trying to get more names on your denomination roster,
        Roman Catholic apologists...

evangelization is introducing people to a lifelong relationship with Jesus.
        Christ followers...

What is interesting is that it is impossible for RC apologists to get anyone to convert to RCism....without getting a new member for their sect.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Southsider View Post
          Not just the Jewish people, but also Greek Orthodox people and Muslims, are also considered to be inappropriate targets for proselytization as the Catholic Magisterium as equated Islam's Allah deity with that of the RCC.
          Devout Catholics have told me that Allah of the Quran is present in their Eucharist and thus they worship the Muslim god.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Atemi View Post

Devout Catholics have told me that Allah of the Quran is present in their Eucharist and thus they worship the Muslim god.
            Has a Catholic on this board ever made such a claim?

Comment

Originally posted by Curious Joe View Post
              Has a Catholic on this board ever made such a claim?
              Definitely.

Pretty sick, huh? I know why you may be in a rush to deny this truth.

Comment

Definitely.

Ok, then let's see the evidence. Please avoid links that do not work anymore. Thank you.

Comment

Roman Catholic apologists...

Christ followers...

What is interesting is that it is impossible for RC apologists to get anyone to convert to RCism....without getting a new member for their sect.

Evangelization doesn’t exclude signing the person up for membership in a parish, but it doesn’t begin or end there. Catholic apologists/evangelists especially are not interested in merely getting people to sign their name on a form, but in seeing an internal conversion to Jesus.
                  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

Comment

Definitely.

There's nothing to deny, unless you want to retract this unsubstantiated assertion.

Comment

Evangelization doesn’t exclude signing the person up for membership in a parish, but it doesn’t begin or end there.
                      So now Catholic evangelism is really your definition of proselytization.

"Proselytization is trying to get more names on your denomination roster"

That did not take long!

Catholic apologists/evangelists especially are not interested in merely getting people to sign their name on a form, but in seeing an internal conversion to Jesus.
                      Catholic apologists are ONLY interested in converts who join their sect and become members of their church of choice.

Comment

So now Catholic evangelism is really your definition of proselytization.

That did not take long!

Catholic apologists are ONLY interested in converts who join their sect and become members of their church of choice.

Our goal as evangelists is only to help people get to heaven. If they make it to heaven without signing up for parish membership, that’s equally a win for us. But the ideal way that Jesus established for people to be saved is through the Catholic Church, so of course we will steer them in that direction.

Comment

Our goal as evangelists is only to help people get to heaven.
                          If Catholics don't even know the way for sure themselves, how can Catholics help anyone else?

If they make it to heaven without signing up for parish membership, that’s equally a win for us.
                          Nope. Catholic apologists specifically seek for converts for their church. That is all they do.

I have never once heard a Catholic "help" anyone get to heaven by NOT also becoming a member of the Catholic Church.

But the ideal way that Jesus established for people to be saved is through the Catholic Church, so of course we will steer them in that direction.
                          And so we come full circle: "Proselytization is trying to get more names on your denomination roster"

Just as I said.

Comment

If Catholics don't even know the way for sure themselves, how can Catholics help anyone else?

Nope. Catholic apologists specifically seek for converts for their church. That is all they do.

I have never once heard a Catholic "help" anyone get to heaven by NOT also becoming a member of the Catholic Church.

And so we come full circle: "Proselytization is trying to get more names on your denomination roster"

Just as I said.

We do know the way for sure. The way is a Person (John 14:5-6), and our job as evangelists is to introduce people to Him. We teach people to receive Jesus, to love Him, to obey Him, and to follow Him. And so it wouldn’t make much sense to encourage them to take a different road than the one He personally established, the Catholic Church. The Shepherd is willing to track down the sheep that are lost, but the undershepherds should help them avoid getting lost in the first place.

Comment

Just as I said.

We do know the way for sure.
                              Nope. Catholics confess almost daily here that they do not know for sure if they are even saved or not....and even deny they believe they are guaranteed eternal life if they died this very moment.

All Catholics can do is shrug their shoulders and cross their fingers.

That kind of ignorance of the Savior will not help any sinners at all.

We teach people to receive Jesus, to love Him, to obey Him, and to follow Him.
                              Nope. Catholic apologists teach people to convert to the Catholic sect and become members of the Catholic Church.

And so it wouldn’t make much sense to encourage them to take a different road than the one He personally established, the Catholic Church.
                              You keep affirming what I previously said. I appreciate it. It is all about finding new members for your sect.

Comment

Working...
                              X