Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Cagots - the Untouchable caste of the RCC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cagots - the Untouchable caste of the RCC

Interesting group from history, that was centered in the Catholic heartlands in Spain and France.

The Magisterium ordered special Cagot entrances built for their churches, special separate Holy H2O fonts for the Cagot people, and the RCC administered communion on the end of a long stick to the Cagot faithful.

Cagots were restricted by their fellow Catholic neighbors to certain professions and parts of town.

If you wondered where the Untouchable Caste of India came from, the RCC had a similar ideal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...pe-878705.html

Interesting. I've never heard of these folks. The write-up in Wikipedia states that this discrimination was cultural and not religiously based and that it extended even into Huguenot (French Protestant) areas.
    "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers ...[write] about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one." O'Connor

Comment

I would think the one true church should know better.

Comment

Originally posted by Southsider View Post
        Interesting group from history, that was centered in the Catholic heartlands in Spain and France.

The Magisterium ordered special Cagot entrances built for their churches, special separate Holy H2O fonts for the Cagot people, and the RCC administered communion on the end of a long stick to the Cagot faithful.

Cagots were restricted by their fellow Catholic neighbors to certain professions and parts of town.

If you wondered where the Untouchable Caste of India came from, the RCC had a similar ideal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...pe-878705.html
        The "one true church" nailing a man's hand to their door because he dared use holy water everyone else was using?

Yup. That sounds devoutly Catholic to me.

Note that the devout Catholic laity, priests, and bishops strictly enforced their bigotry and hatred....rather than take a stand against it.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Angels_Sing View Post
          Devout Catholics today would treat anyone today the same....if their priests and bishops told them to do so.

We know that because that is exactly what they did.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Atemi View Post

The "one true church" nailing a man's hand to their door because he dared use holy water everyone else was using?

Yup. That sounds devoutly Catholic to me.

Note that the devout Catholic laity, priests, and bishops strictly enforced their bigotry and hatred....rather than take a stand against it.

What go you mean? They still do it today, just not so obviously done.

Comment

I think that all Christians should know better, don't you?
              "Whenever I'm asked why Southern writers ...[write] about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one." O'Connor

Comment

Originally posted by Rudder View Post

But yet, catholics call all catholics Christian. Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by DMBD View Post

But yet, catholics call all catholics Christian. Why is that?
                  Sorry, but I do not understand your question. Can you clarify?

Comment

Sorry, but I do not understand your question. Can you clarify?
                    Remember, a wet head with no declaration of faith equals Christian. You know catholics do it all the time.

Comment

Sure, especially those who claim they have the fullness of faith and are the one true church.

Comment

Originally posted by DMBD View Post

Remember, a wet head with no declaration of faith equals Christian. You know catholics do it all the time.
                        Remember also that we believe that a baptized Christian, whether baptized as an infant or as an adult after a confession of faith, can end up in hell if they commit mortal sin and do not repent.

Getting back to the OP, these Cagot folks apparently were treated poorly by both Catholics and Protestants in France. That sort of behavior, unfortunately, takes place pretty much everywhere. In the US, for example, discrimination against black folks takes place even in churches today. That does not exclude Catholics or Protestants. Personally, I think that it is getting better, but they might have a different perspective.

Comment

Sure, especially those who claim they have the fullness of faith and are the one true church.
                          Good for you. Glad to see a confirmation that all Christians should know to treat people right. Love your neighbor as yourself.

Comment

Getting back to the OP, these Cagot folks apparently were treated poorly by both Catholics and Protestants in France. That sort of behavior, unfortunately, takes place pretty much everywhere.
                            I thought you Catholics were taught the unchanged moral teachings of Christ and His Apostles?

Looks like Catholics in different eras and places are taught different moral teachings....depending on your biases and popular bigotry.

Another case against the lie that your sect is Christ's one, true church.

The best argument that you could come up with that everyone does it only goes to show you know what I say is true.

Comment

Good for you. Glad to see a confirmation that all Christians should know to treat people right. Love your neighbor as yourself.
                              How unfortunate your one true church didn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X