Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

The Promises of the First Fridays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Promises of the First Fridays

The RCC teaches that young French woman, Margaret Alacoque spoke with Jesus, who supposed conveyed to her the importance of received holy communion on 9 consecutive Fridays. Allocate reported the words of Jesus as follows "I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who shall receive communion on the First Friday in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment"

Now, to me, and I'm not a bible scholar by any stretch although I've read the scriptures- Jesus' worlds to Alacoque really don't sound like they came from the Jesus that speaks in the Bible. I just can't see Jesus speaking to the apostles in this voice.

My question is about the promise here however. It seems as though the RCC is saying once you do the First Friday scam, you're "in like flynn", you are destined for the pearly gates no matter what.

Is that your interpretation? A gal that I used to work with years ago told me that her bf was working on this "scam" (her word) when God would have to take him as part of this deal. So it is at least the theological opinions of some.

Do you think Jesus would speak to a Catholic more like the way that you and your 'holy' 'saved' friends here do?
    The crones love their cliques!

Comment

Originally posted by Mercedes View Post
      Do you think Jesus would speak to a Catholic more like the way that you and your 'holy' 'saved' friends here do?
      What does your question have anything to do with the OP? The Question is about Jesus, not man.
      Goats love their tea!

Strong's #3982

Comment

Nothing but voices of hatred respond.

Comment

No, I think that Jesus would speak to Roman Catholics in the same voice as He spoke to non-Catholics as recorded in Scripture.

Comment

Originally posted by Southsider View Post
            The RCC teaches that young French woman, Margaret Alacoque spoke with Jesus, who supposed conveyed to her the importance of received holy communion on 9 consecutive Fridays. Allocate reported the words of Jesus as follows "I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who shall receive communion on the First Friday in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment"

Now, to me, and I'm not a bible scholar by any stretch although I've read the scriptures- Jesus' worlds to Alacoque really don't sound like they came from the Jesus that speaks in the Bible. I just can't see Jesus speaking to the apostles in this voice.

My question is about the promise here however. It seems as though the RCC is saying once you do the First Friday scam, you're "in like flynn", you are destined for the pearly gates no matter what.

Is that your interpretation?
            A gal that I used to work with years ago told me that her bf was working on this "scam" (her word) when God would have to take him as part of this deal. So it is at least the theological opinions of some.
            No, not at all. The promise is "the grace of final penitence". As always, it is up to us how we receive God's grace.

Blessings
            May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Philomena View Post

No, not at all. The promise is "the grace of final penitence". As always, it is up to us how we receive God's grace.

Blessings

So in your view, Philomena, the official First Fridays Promise has nothing to do with guaranteeing salvation? Do you think other RC's have the same understanding as yourself?

Comment

So in your view, Philomena, the official First Fridays Promise has nothing to do with guaranteeing salvation? Do you think other RC's have the same understanding as yourself?
                Does it say that it guarantees salvation? No, it does not.

It offers grace.

Blessings
                May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable, most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified in Heaven, on Earth, and under the Earth by all the creatures of God and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.

Comment

Does it say that it guarantees salvation? No, it does not.

It offers grace.

Blessings
                  How many types of grace do catholics have to be offered?
                  Eph 5:11 And do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them NASB

Comment

No, I think that Jesus would speak to Roman Catholics in the same voice as He spoke to non-Catholics as recorded in Scripture.
                    I find that Jesus has a different 'voice' depending on the author of the writing who is recalling it. These recollections were written years after the death Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

Not 'types of grace.... 'means' of grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Nondenom40 View Post

There are two kinds of grace: sanctifying and actual.

Blessings

Comment

It is a spiritual aid for salvation, an offer of grace at the moment of death. It is not a guarantee.

Blessings

Comment

It is a spiritual aid for salvation, an offer of grace at the moment of death. It is not a guarantee.

Blessings
                            Wait a minute here; why the "Promises of the First Fridays" when you have Mary praying for you at the hour of your death.
                            Oh wait, I think I know; multiple additional aids are required, since Christ's shed blood, death, burial, and resurrection was not sufficient.
                            1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutGallery View Post
                              Wait a minute here; why the "Promises of the First Fridays" when you have Mary praying for you at the hour of your death.
                              Oh wait, I think I know; multiple additional aids are required, since Christ's shed blood, death, burial, and resurrection was not sufficient.
                              They are disciplines that assist a Christian in orienting their whole lives to prayer, praise, thanksgiving and petition. Lots of us now and in history recognise that the pull of our humanness away from our spiritual, is very pervasive and powerful. Having a commitment to a devotional discipline helps to keep us attentive to our spiritual growth. That is a great grace.

Comment

Working...
                              X