Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

The RCC's True Cross

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RCC's True Cross

The RCC has contended since antiquity that it possesses the "True Cross" upon which Jesus was crucified, and that it was discovered in Israel by Empress Helena in the 4th Century.

How can the Magisterium be certain about this at all? That the wooden cross they possess is the True Cross?

Why does the RCC believe that the cross was saved in the first place, to be discovered by Helena 300 years afterward? Why weren't crosses for crucifixion reused? Wouldn't the wood be appropriate for burning for cooking or heat, or even to be used for construction?

Originally posted by Southsider View Post
    The RCC has contended since antiquity that it possesses the "True Cross" upon which Jesus was crucified, and that it was discovered in Israel by Empress Helena in the 4th Century.

How can the Magisterium be certain about this at all? That the wooden cross they possess is the True Cross?

Why does the RCC believe that the cross was saved in the first place, to be discovered by Helena 300 years afterward? Why weren't crosses for crucifixion reused? Wouldn't the wood be appropriate for burning for cooking or heat, or even to be used for construction?
    They've also contended that THEY AND THEY ALONE are the ONLY TRUE CHURCH in Christianity. When you start with THAT Lie, almost anything is possible. They don't murder people who disagree any more, so that's "progress" at least.

Fact is there's enough wood from the "True Cross" to build a small house, and everybody knows it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

They've also contended that THEY AND THEY ALONE are the ONLY TRUE CHURCH in Christianity. When you start with THAT Lie, almost anything is possible. They don't murder people who disagree any more, so that's "progress" at least.

Fact is there's enough wood from the "True Cross" to build a small house, and everybody knows it.
      Protestants killed Catholics. Luther married someone to a 2nd wife to get use of his army against Catholics! Don't insinuate that Catholics are the only ones who murdered people!

So lets back up. How many churches did Jesus set up? Five? Fifty? Or maybe one.

John 17
      15 I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one.
      16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
      17 Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.
      18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
      19 For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth.
      20 “I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word;
      21 that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.

Jesus' plan was for Christians to be one so that the world may believe that the Father sent Him. Paul said let there be no divisions.

We're very divided. This is a horrible state the world is in...we're divided which thwarts the world believing that God sent Jesus.

This has to stop.

Jesus only started ONE church. He has ONE church.

If you disagree with us Catholics, why not come as a friend to suggest positive things we can all work towards? We should come together to be visibly ONE church. But you post this antagonistic stuff. You're old enough to know that accomplishes nothing. Right?

We have to work together. And I'll work with you as a friend. I promise.

-BHM

For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death. (2 Cor 7:10)

Comment

Originally posted by By His Mercy View Post
        So lets back up. How many churches did Jesus set up? Five? Fifty? Or maybe one.
        One, of course. There's never been any more than one - that spiritual body, the pillar and Ground of the TRUTH, composed EXCLUSIVELY of those who have been born again of the Holy Spirit, and indwelled by Him.

There are, however, MANY "Visible Church organizations", some of which are the various Catholic, and Orthodox denominational systems.

Jesus' plan was for Christians to be one so that the world may believe that the Father sent Him. Paul said let there be no divisions.
        And Paul SAID that because he saw the division already developing in the church, and KNEW that the trend would continue - until the time of Ephesians 4, when we ALL come together in the Spirit. THAT Visible Church isn't even on the radar yet.

We're very divided. This is a horrible state the world is in...we're divided which thwarts the world believing that God sent Jesus. This has to stop.
        And so it will - when the TIME IS RIGHT, and GOD brings it together.

If you disagree with us Catholics, why not come as a friend to suggest positive things we can all work towards?
        Back in the day ('70s) there was an MAJOR outpouring of the Holy Spirit, generally referred to as "The Charismatic outpouring", which accomplished world wide in a limited and temporary fashion, exactly what you would like to see.

Notre Dame University was deeply involved, and my Assembly of God Pastor was Baptized in the Holy Spirit in one of their meetings there in the late '60s..

In Central Ohio, any charismatic meeting was always half or more Charismatic Roman Catholics in attendance - but they weren't "Catholics", and I wasn't "Assembly of God", simply because God had shown everybody a HIGHER LEVEL of truth, that demonstrated to all of us how UNIMPORTANT our "precious denominational beliefs" really were. We were "just CHristians reveling in our Lord. In fact The Catholics petitioned the DIocese of CIncinatti to permit their "Protestant Brethren" to partake of Eucharist with them, since we were all ONE in the Spirit.

The Diocese wasn't having any part of that, of course, so our Catholic Brethren shared our communion with US instead.

And in the beginning the Catholic parishes were bringing in Pentecostals to teach them about the Fullness of the Holy Spirit, and the gifts.

And then, of course, like ALL Times of spiritual refresing, the "outpouring" ended, and degenerated into the "Charismatic movement" and we all re-denominationalized, and went our way, but for about 10 beautiful years, we were just CHRISTIANS enjoying our Lord TOGETHER, without the BAGGAGE, that our individual organizations imposed.

And the simple truth is that WE WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO COME TOGETHER - until Ephesians 4 Comes to pass, and HE BRINGS US CHRISTIANS TOGETHER,

Not as "Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, Assembly of God, etc. But at a MUCH HIGHER SPIRITUAL LEVEL where the denominational garbage, organizations, Rituals, and the "Precious defining doctrines" simply become unimportant, and we're just "Christians with Jesus as our head.

I've SEEN IT ALREADY in a small way, and HE CAN DO IT AGAIN - when He's ready to do so.
        Last edited by Bob Carabbio; 04-19-19, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by By His Mercy View Post

We're very divided. This is a horrible state the world is in...we're divided which thwarts the world believing that God sent Jesus.

This has to stop.

Jesus only started ONE church. He has ONE church.

If you disagree with us Catholics, why not come as a friend to suggest positive things we can all work towards? We should come together to be visibly ONE church. But you post this antagonistic stuff. You're old enough to know that accomplishes nothing. Right?

We have to work together. And I'll work with you as a friend. I promise.

-BHM
          (Just addressing this part)

We are very divided, that's true.

The division stems from the different understanding of what salvation means. The only way to come together is through Christ alone.

The one church is the body of Christ, believers.

I would love to come as a friend.

A couple of weeks ago I was reading my bible on a Saturday morning and happened upon 2 Timothy 2:23-26 which says (I'm breaking it down verse by verse) -

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.

And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,

and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

I thought of these threads immediately, mainly my attitude on them at times. Now, I know I've read these same verses over and over for years. They were new to me that morning.

I'm to have nothing to do with 'foolish, ignorant controversies' that breed quarrels.

I should not be quarrelsome, but be kind; able to teach; patiently enduring evil, correct opponents with gentleness.

I have very often not done these things I should have been doing, and have done the things I shouldn't.

When I first came to carm my intention was to always be kind. I admit I've often been sarcastic, repaying rudeness for rudeness which is wrong.

I apologize to anyone I've done this to.

This has changed me.

I'm not saying I'll never slip, but I have these verses printed out and in front of me so I'll see them when I post. I pray daily that God use me and control what I say (type)

So, while we may continue to disagree, I would love to share and pray for the truth to be revealed to any who are lost or don't understand His Word.

2 Corinthians 5:7 ~ for we walk by faith, not by sight

Romans 10:9 ~ that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

Comment

Working...
          X