Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Adventists fail to disclose facts to donors about selling own radio station to itself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventists fail to disclose facts to donors about selling own radio station to itself

This article was originally published by the Columbia Union’s Visitor Magazine, the official magazine of the Columbia Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. .
    ---------------
    WGTS 91.9 is transitioning from Washington Adventist University (WAU) to a separate nonprofit entity. Pending approval by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), it will soon be owned and operated by a new corporation called Atlantic Gateway Communications, Inc. (AGC), which has been incorporated specifically for this purpose.

On May 9, 2018, the WAU Board of Trustees voted to divest itself of the station’s operating license for $12 million. Pending FCC approval, the purchase will be completed sometime this fall with all assets transferring to the newly formed nonprofit, AGC.

“While ownership will change, our mission, programming, team and focus remains on bringing our listeners in the Washington, D.C., region a message of hope and encouragement,” says Kevin Krueger, vice president and general manager. “We are so thankful for the foundation which has been built over the last 60 years at WAU. Now, much like a college student coming of age and moving out of Mom and Dad’s house, WGTS 91.9 is moving forward and expanding.”

Rob Vandeman, Columbia Union Conference executive secretary, who has served as board chair for the last seven years, and will continue in that role, says, “This governance shift will facilitate a nimbler operation, which will enable the ministry to stay relevant in the ever-changing, fast-paced arena of media and digital communication. Overall, the change will provide the room and tools necessary for the team to grow stronger and serve the community in even greater ways.”

To facilitate this and other plans for growth, much of the media ministry operations will be relocated to a larger space that will provide greater access to advanced technology, equipment and the broadcast tower. However, WGTS 91.9 will maintain studios on the WAU campus to continue its training and mentoring work with the university’s students, as well as for backup studio and transmission needs.

“We are excited for both WGTS and WAU in this transition and pleased that they remain committed to continuing the legacy of service, which is one of our pillars of excellence. It will also support our focus of better serving current and future students,” says Weymouth Spence, university president.

“Everything we are doing will enhance our ability to help us reach out to people who need connection, encouragement, spiritual care and hope in their daily lives,” says Krueger. “We introduce people to Jesus, answer their questions, and invite them to become engaged with us through intentional outreach initiatives. And we appreciate the opportunity to partner with area Seventh-day Adventist churches and ministries who initiate the next steps in spiritual growth.”

Dave Weigley, president of the Columbia Union Conference, believes God has a special mission and purpose for the media ministry. “Through the ministry of WGTS, the Seventh-day Adventist Church is able to share Christ’s message of hope and wholeness with 600,000 listeners each week, which is remarkable!” he says. “As it continues to grow, this valued ministry will maintain its denominational status and strong ties to the union.”

-----------------
    This transaction is perhaps legal but ethically, stinks to high heaven. Notice the last sentence of the article.
    “As it continues to grow, this valued ministry will maintain its denominational status and strong ties to the union.”
    The station is being “sold” from one arm of the Adventist church, to another newly created arm of the Adventist church. The Adventist church maintains ownership and control, before and after the sale. .

What the article doesn’t say, is that WGTS is almost entirely supported by donations from the community - WGTS listeners, almost all of whom are non-SDA. Not only is the radio station not funded by the Adventist church, it actually provides funding to the Adventist church, paying highly over-inflated rent and services to Washington Adventist University -- it's current parent organization. .

In other words, the church is moving the station from one pocket to the other pocket, and allowing WGTS listeners, Christians who sacrificially give to the station, and believe that this is a real transfer of ownership, to fund this sham move. In reality, this is not a real transfer of ownership, the station stays entirely within the Adventist church and maintains its denominational status. This is not the story that is being told on-air and publicly, outside the SDA church, however. This is what listeners are hearing publicly ...

http://wgts.org/what-you-hear-mornin...g-announcement

This is what the radio industry is hearing ...
    https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rmed-nonprofit
    http://www.dcrtv.com/

"WGTS Ownership Update - 7/20 - WGTS 91.9’s morning show host Jerry Woods check in to clarify the transition at the Christian contemporary station. He shares that the station will be now be owned by a non-profit that was set-up specifically to run the station called Atlantic Gateway Communications. This new company has no connection to current owner, Washington Adventist University. The station is currently running a capital campaign and will be moving to new facility in 2019, if all goes according to plan. Woods makes it clear that the station is making the transition to self-ownership to help the station grow and serve its listeners in the DC area better. "The long-term goal is to be live and local all the time, and this expansion helps us get closer to that goal. It's the next step in serving the DC community better," says Woods. WGTS will continue to rent back-up studio and tower space at Washington Adventist University to use in case of emergencies....."
    From the Tom Taylor Now Radio Newsletter:
    Even after the $12 million sale of Washington DC-market WGTS/91.9, not much will change at the not-for-profit contemporary Christian station. This looks more like a deal for Seventh Day Adventist-connected Washington Adventist University to off-load the big Class B signal licensed to Takoma Park to a new not-for-profit corporation – and generate some regular income for the school. There’s a seller note for $10 million, after buyer Atlantic Gateway Communications pays $1 million up-front and takes care of another $1 million in loan forgiveness on notes from 2010 and 2016. Station GM Kevin Krueger says “much like a college student coming of age and moving out of mom and dad’s house, WGTS is moving forward and expanding.” Though the “moving out” is mostly in terms of the name on the license. WGTS signs a five-year lease (at $50,000 per year) to keep a studio presence on-campus - though it will also build new studios. University president Rob Vandeman will have a continuing role at the new Atlantic Gateway, and says “the governance shift will facilitate a nimbler operation.”

Donors are missing a key piece of information which would very likely, strongly influence their decision to give or not--that this is playing games on paper. This is because the Adventist church, in many circles is at least suspect theologically (if not considered an outright, non-Christian cult) by a growing number of Christians. Knowing that a branch of the Adventist church is selling the station to itself, and funding it almost entirely by listener donations, would probably not be looked upon favorably, by potential donors. Not sharing who the true owners are, both before and after the sale, not sharing that story up-front in its “outside the Adventist church” public communications, leads donors to believe that they are funding a true sale, to a truly independent, non-profit, non-SDA ownership. This is not the case, however.

What is driving this lack of disclosure? Do the old and new owners (both, the Seventh-day Adventist denomination) believe that if they don’t disclose these material facts, the $12 million they are charging themselves for this sale, might not be provided by unsuspecting donors?

Is this kind of behavior indicative of an ongoing culture of dishonesty regarding financial matters, within the Adventist church, as evidenced by the Adventist church's Davenport financial scandal of the early 1980’s?

Is this lack of disclosure appropriate for any church? What do you think the consequences will be if the larger, non-Seventh-day Adventist, WGTS listener donor pool, is apprised of this information? What do you think the consequences will be if the IRS is informed?
    Last edited by 1stthings1st; 08-12-18, 02:18 PM.

39 views (as of 8/26/18) and two weeks later, and no one wants to discuss the horribly unethical behavior of the remnant church? Does this behavior go away if we don't discuss it? Is there a justifiable defense or adequate explanation for these actions by the Seventh-day Adventist church? Bump for the entire board.

Comment

AV Mt 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
      Originally posted by 1stthings1st View Post
      This transaction is perhaps legal but ethically, stinks to high heaven.
      Did the legality of it, made it moral to the people who stand behind Law of the People ???

Are you just as critical of other denominations dealings ???

What denomination do you fellowship with weekly ??? Do they operate in the same area with those same laws ???

Yours in Christ, Michael
      Choose please, either I am a Brother in Christ and I ask for Matthew 18:15-17 privileges, but if I am non-Christian to you, I ask for Matthew 5:44-48 in the attitude of Christ(Isaiah 53:7).
      If you have a question/challenge/charge, please post it, with cut-n-paste source, with reasoning to conclusion.
      Star of David(Rep Pt.), or Danger Ahead Caution(Report Post), or Apologetics(Reply with defense), Click as a Loving Christian. Your Choice...

Comment

Originally posted by SDAchristian View Post
        AV Mt 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Did the legality of it, made it moral to the people who stand behind Law of the People ???

Are you just as critical of other denominations dealings ???

What denomination do you fellowship with weekly ??? Do they operate in the same area with those same laws ???

Yours in Christ, Michael
        Your first response to the shady and corrupt business practices of the Seventh-day Adventist church is to immediately change the subject to other churches? Please stay on topic. The OP is regarding the SDA denomination and this particular "transaction" -- not transactions that may or may not have have occurred within other churches.

Comment

Your first response to the shady and corrupt business practices of the Seventh-day Adventist church is to immediately change the subject to other churches? Please stay on topic. The OP is regarding the SDA denomination and this particular "transaction" -- not transactions that may or may not have have occurred within other churches.
          AV Mt 20:13-15 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny? 14 Take [that] thine [is], and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee. 15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

Even thou you focus on denominational procedures, My guess is, GOD is not honor for THEIR choices either.

So is the vineyard owner is more moral/ethical that the situation you are pointing to ???

Are you GOD's "Friend" ???

Yours in Christ, Michael
          Choose please, either I am a Brother in Christ and I ask for Matthew 18:15-17 privileges, but if I am non-Christian to you, I ask for Matthew 5:44-48 in the attitude of Christ(Isaiah 53:7).
          If you have a question/challenge/charge, please post it, with cut-n-paste source, with reasoning to conclusion.
          Star of David(Rep Pt.), or Danger Ahead Caution(Report Post), or Apologetics(Reply with defense), Click as a Loving Christian. Your Choice...

Comment

AV Mt 20:13-15 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny? 14 Take [that] thine [is], and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee. 15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

Even thou you focus on denominational procedures, My guess is, GOD is not honor for THEIR choices either.

So is the vineyard owner is more moral/ethical that the situation you are pointing to ???

Are you GOD's "Friend" ???
            And you continue to attempt to change the subject.......

Comment

Originally posted by Albur Tan View Post
              And you continue to attempt to change the subject.......
              Then you have failed to see association, of the accusation of someone handling their own property as they see fit.

The accuser was using the wrong perspective.

AV 1C 6:3-5 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? 4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church. 5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?

So you agree as an accuser too ??? You want to make moral judgement and project it on others ???

Yours in Christ, Michael

Comment

Your first response to the shady and corrupt business practices of the Seventh-day Adventist church is to immediately change the subject to other churches? Please stay on topic.
                AV Mt 7:1-2 Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

So you think Jesus will be fair in using your judgement against you again ???
                The OP is regarding the SDA denomination and this particular "transaction" -- not transactions that may or may not have have occurred within other churches.
                AV Jn 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

AV Jn 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

All you need to do, is point to any of GOD's laws, to prove your accusation of sin.

Yours in Christ, Michael

Comment

Then you have failed to see association, of the accusation of someone handling their own property as they see fit.

The accuser was using the wrong perspective.

AV 1C 6:3-5 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? 4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church. 5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?

So you agree as an accuser too ??? You want to make moral judgement and project it on others ???
                  Your SIMPLE redefinition of the operational methods of the SDA organization is an attempt to change the subject... making you into the accuser and projecting your own moral judgement on others.

Comment

Your SIMPLE redefinition of the operational methods of the SDA organization is an attempt to change the subject... making you into the accuser and projecting your own moral judgement on others.
                    You are entitled to express your opinion here, regardless of whether it has truth or not.

Yours in Christ, Michael

Comment

You are entitled to express your opinion here, regardless of whether it has truth or not.
                      I didn’t need you to tell me that fact which is born out in every opinion filled post you place on this board.

Comment

I didn't need you to tell me that fact which is born out in every opinion filled post you place on this board.
                        Freedom is not valued any more by you, for others ???

Yours in Christ, Michael

Comment

Freedom is not valued any more by you, for others ???

Yours in Christ, Michael
                          Freedom is very much valued Mike. The problem is that within the SDA church there are restrictions that are not Biblical and that is not freedom in Christ.

Now back to the subject. This whole scenario about the radio station changing hands is a farce. It smacks of deceivery. It is like me trying to sell something to myself. What purpose is gained? Why is the SDA church always propagating schemes?

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.

Comment

Originally posted by ontheBeam View Post
                            Now back to the subject. This whole scenario about the radio station changing hands is a farce. It smacks of deceivery. It is like me trying to sell something to myself. What purpose is gained? Why is the SDA church always propagating schemes?

So you will judge the vineyard owner with "It smacks of deceivery.", like the worker did ???

Think, personal verbal covenants with each of the workers over time.
                            Let me guess, you have issues with agreements made between the Persons of the GODhead ???

Yours in Christ, Michael

Comment

What purpose is gained?
                              Avoid capitol gains tax ??? Like in the corporate world.
                              Why is the SDA church always propagating schemes?
                              AV Ac 15:20-21 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and [from] fornication, and [from] things strangled, and [from] blood. 21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

First/sun day scheme is NOT FOUND in scriptures, want to go there ???

When did we switch to first/sun day, given Acts 15 issues addressed ???

Yours in Christ, Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X