Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Question for Seventh Day Adventism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question for Seventh Day Adventism

    In Acts 23:6-9 it mentions angels and spirits back to back.What is the spirits it is talking about?Is spirit just another word for demon? At first i thought the word spirit stood for demon.But if it did why would the Pharisees want to talk to one?

    Acts 23:6-9 King James Version (KJV)
    6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.

    7 And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.

    8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

    9 And there arose a great cry: and the scribes that were of the Pharisees' part arose, and strove, saying, We find no evil in this man: but if a spirit or an angel hath spoken to him, let us not fight against God.

    Here is all of the passages in case you want to read all of them.

    The website i got this from is this one:

    Bible Gateway passage: Acts 23:6-9 - King James Version

  • #2
    Originally posted by Batman lover View Post
    In Acts 23:6-9 it mentions angels and spirits back to back.What is the spirits it is talking about?Is spirit just another word for demon? At first i thought the word spirit stood for demon.But if it did why would the Pharisees want to talk to one?

    Acts 23:6-9 King James Version (KJV)
    6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.

    7 And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.

    8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

    9 And there arose a great cry: and the scribes that were of the Pharisees' part arose, and strove, saying, We find no evil in this man: but if a spirit or an angel hath spoken to him, let us not fight against God.

    Here is all of the passages in case you want to read all of them.

    The website i got this from is this one:

    Bible Gateway passage: Acts 23:6-9 - King James Version
    Smart move on Paul's Part - set the "Theologians"/"religious politicians" at each other's throats. I wonder which side were the Democrats???

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Batman lover View Post
      In Acts 23:6-9 it mentions angels and spirits back to back.What is the spirits it is talking about?Is spirit just another word for demon? At first i thought the word spirit stood for demon.But if it did why would the Pharisees want to talk to one?

      Acts 23:6-9 King James Version (KJV)
      6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.

      7 And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.

      8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

      9 And there arose a great cry: and the scribes that were of the Pharisees' part arose, and strove, saying, We find no evil in this man: but if a spirit or an angel hath spoken to him, let us not fight against God.

      Here is all of the passages in case you want to read all of them.

      The website i got this from is this one:

      Bible Gateway passage: Acts 23:6-9 - King James Version
      Holy Spirit, and Angels. The Pharisees were not asking for the blessing and direction of evil spirits in this text. But in heart they were already more in harmony with evil spirits, then with the Spriti of God.

      Comment


      • #4
        This passage of Scripture is helpful in understanding the impact of what Jesus said to the Sadducees when they asked Him the question about the Resurrection and which Brother would claim the wife.

        The Sadducees did NOT believe in angels OR that at death the spirit or soul of a person continued on....
        ...Unlike the Pharisees who believed both in a conscious afterlife AND that there were angels.
        ...Paul used this "difference" in belief between the Pharisees and Sadducees to his advantage.

        More importantly when we read the exchange between Jesus and the Sadducees...
        ...About the question of what would happen in the Resurrection (Sadducees DIDN'T believe in).
        ...Notice what Jesus actually says here.

        "Then come unto him the Sadducees, which say there is no resurrection; and they asked him, saying, Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. Now there were seven brethren: and the first took a wife, and dying left no seed. And the second took her, and died, neither left he any seed: and the third likewise.

        And the seven had her, and left no seed: last of all the woman died also.

        In the resurrection therefore, when they shall rise, whose wife shall she be of them? for the seven had her to wife. And Jesus answering said unto them,
        Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God? For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven. And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err."

        Jesus illustrated the errors of the Sadducees showing them that their disbelief of the resurrection, angels and the conscious souls of men after death was attributed to their NOT knowing the Scriptures.


        Comment


        • #5
          I learn something every day. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are alive. They are alive because they lived by faith. The state of the dead is one more thing SDAs and their false prophet are spreading all over the World that does not coincide with Jesus own words.
          Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.

          Comment


          • #6
            The early SDA's put themselves into a theological box at their inception...
            ...This happened when they proposed an invisible event took place in 1844.
            ...Instead of Jesus returning (their original message) the early SDA's changed their tune:

            Claiming that Jesus moved from one of the Temple in Heaven into the Most Holy area of the Temple.

            This oddity defaults into the impossibility of individuals who previously died from actually "being with Christ"...
            ...It invalidates what the Scriptures say about there being a festive gathering in heaven that includes.
            "The spirits of just men made perfect".

            The solution to this "problem" was to declare the dead are totally unaware of anything therefore at death the person enters into a soul sleeping state to wait things out.

            Jesus said this view is in error and attributes it to gross ignorance of the Scriptures.

            Comment


            • #7
              Even so in Christ all shall be made alive.
              Originally posted by Pythons View Post
              The early SDA's put themselves into a theological box at their inception...
              ...This happened when they proposed an invisible event took place in 1844.
              ...Instead of Jesus returning (their original message) the early SDA's changed their tune:

              Claiming that Jesus moved from one of the Temple in Heaven into the Most Holy area of the Temple.

              This oddity defaults into the impossibility of individuals who previously died from actually "being with Christ"...
              ...It invalidates what the Scriptures say about there being a festive gathering in heaven that includes.
              …"The spirits of just men made perfect".

              The solution to this "problem" was to declare the dead are totally unaware of anything therefore at death the person enters into a soul sleeping state to wait things out.

              Jesus said this view is in error and attributes it to gross ignorance of the Scriptures.
              "God is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to Him"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mathias View Post
                Even so in Christ all shall be made alive.
                Originally posted by mathias View Post

                "God is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to Him"

                Yes, that's what it is. Those who are "in Christ"
                HAVEALREADY
                passed from death to life.

                Jesus said "where I am you may be also" - this can be confirmed by what happened to Stephen.

                ACTS 7,55
                But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
                And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.
                And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

                Immediately prior to Stephen's death he saw Jesus COMING TO GET HIM & asks Jesus to "receive" his "
                SPIRIT
                ". The text goes on to say when Stephen said this "
                hefellasleep
                ".

                In speaking to Christians Paul reminds those alive that they have NOT come to Old Testament worship but are spiritually joined with a "FESTIVE GATHERING IN HEAVEN" where God, countless angels
                AND
                the spirits of Just men
                made perfect are. Here is the Scripture.

                "But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
                To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
                And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel." Hebrews 12, 22

                Stephen, prior to his death actually saw Jesus, asked him to "receive" his SPIRIT and Stephen's SPIRIT was certainly among the other SPIRIT's described in Hebrews 11, 32-40 that are at a festive gathering (a celebration in heaven). Does it sound even reasonable to suggest that "unconscious spirits" would be attending a festive gathering in heaven? After all Jesus is in heaven and He's conscious, God the Father is in heaven and He's conscious as are the countless angels - for the SDA's and other non-Trinitarians to be correct Stephen's corpse has long ago rotted away and his SPIRIT is soundly asleep and in an unconscious state at a festive gathering where every other person / entity is WIDE AWAKE. As you can tell this isn't reasonable.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pythons View Post
                  Yes, that's what it is. Those who are "in Christ"
                  HAVEALREADY
                  passed from death to life.

                  Jesus said "where I am you may be also" - this can be confirmed by what happened to Stephen.

                  ACTS 7,55
                  But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
                  And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.
                  And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

                  Immediately prior to Stephen's death he saw Jesus COMING TO GET HIM & asks Jesus to "receive" his "
                  SPIRIT
                  ". The text goes on to say when Stephen said this "
                  hefellasleep
                  ".

                  In speaking to Christians Paul reminds those alive that they have NOT come to Old Testament worship but are spiritually joined with a "FESTIVE GATHERING IN HEAVEN" where God, countless angels
                  AND
                  the spirits of Just men
                  made perfect are. Here is the Scripture.

                  "But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
                  To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
                  And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel." Hebrews 12, 22

                  Stephen, prior to his death actually saw Jesus, asked him to "receive" his SPIRIT and Stephen's SPIRIT was certainly among the other SPIRIT's described in Hebrews 11, 32-40 that are at a festive gathering (a celebration in heaven). Does it sound even reasonable to suggest that "unconscious spirits" would be attending a festive gathering in heaven? After all Jesus is in heaven and He's conscious, God the Father is in heaven and He's conscious as are the countless angels - for the SDA's and other non-Trinitarians to be correct Stephen's corpse has long ago rotted away and his SPIRIT is soundly asleep and in an unconscious state at a festive gathering where every other person / entity is WIDE AWAKE. As you can tell this isn't reasonable.
                  Those who turn away from You will be written in the dust because they have forsaken the Lord, the fountain of living water. Jer 17

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Greg Goodchild View Post

                    Holy Spirit, and Angels. The Pharisees were not asking for the blessing and direction of evil spirits in this text. But in heart they were already more in harmony with evil spirits, then with the Spriti of God.
                    The text talks about spirits (plural), not spirit (singular). There is only one Holy Spirit. Explain who the other spirits are.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      But the wise man built his house upon the Rock
                      Those who turn away from You will be written in the dust because they have forsaken the Lord, the fountain of living water. Jer 17
                      Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal. Isaiah 26:4

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X