Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

More changes in WTS beliefs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This might help you to understand how "the guy with the inkhorn" can be in heaven and mark the people on earth
    Thanks for that Peter, but it still remains a mystery. As Hollywood said above, the Bible account says "MAN" with the inkhorn. So who then IS this man if he is NOT a man? Simply drafting a passage out of scripture, and a lengthy one at that, without comment contributes to more confusion rather than enlightenment.

This account that Ezekiel had was a vision whose very vividness represented a prediction of what was to befall Jerusalem in the 586/587 siege and destruction of the city that Matthew was moved to call "The Holy City" [Matt 4:5]. Were there really 6 men + 1 with an inkhorn who went through Jerusalem marking people and slaughtering the ones not so marked? Since Ezekiel cries out in alarm that he was alone among those being slaughtered, and in the absence of any mention of anyone being marked, it becomes obvious that at that time Jerusalem was found to be totally degenerate [Ez. 9:8]

So we can be certain that what Ezekiel saw was a vision of the coming literal destruction of the city. This vision was to drive home the fact regarding the theological truth that the God of the OT Jews, Yahweh, hated idolatry, especially among his covenant people.

Whatever it was that Ezekiel saw, was recorded for us to read, ponder, and heed.We stand before these exalted words with the Holy Spirit as our guide and interpreter, and thus each one of us carries the solemn responsibility of understanding what has been written in the light that we have received. If we abdicate our personal responsibility and relinquish this work of the Holy Spirit to others, then we endanger our relationship to Him who guides us.

So. Who were these seven men? Were they meant to represent anyone? Angelic beings? The Babylonians, perhaps, since they did the actual slaughtering?

I don't know. All I can say is that it was a real experience that Ezekiel had and saw, and whatever meaning it had was imparted to him and him alone.

But far more importantly: Does this vision have any further eschatological fulfillment at some later period, beyond that of Ezekiel himself? Like at the Second Destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD, or at the future Great Tribulation? Almost certainly NOT.

The NT makes no mention of this vision, and among the many Titles accorded the Lord, such as Good Shepherd, The Word, The Firstborn, and so on, "The man with the inkhorn" is not one of them. Thus, to insist that there IS a future fulfillment where there is no biblical justification for doing so, becomes a matter of personal opinion which is best kept to oneself.

In truth then, I believe that the writers of Wt literature and the GB who direct them, have exceeded their authority in shoehorning what is a personal view of an incident in the Bible into the psyches of their followers, and making it a compulsory requirement for further membership.

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post

In truth then, I believe that the writers of Wt literature and the GB who direct them, have exceeded their authority in shoehorning what is a personal view of an incident in the Bible into the psyches of their followers, and making it a compulsory requirement for further membership.
      Agreed, Moggy.

And, Peter, why would Jesus approve the interpretation Russell and Rutherford gave----as Russell being the man with the inkhorn and his anointed followers being the six men?

The Finished Mystery, WTS 1917: http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/fin...tery/fme9.html
      Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Comment

Exactly. Remember that back in 1919 when Jehovah and Jesus examined and then approved of the Watchtower organization, Jesus who knew that he was this man with the inkhorn, sanctioned the erroneous view that the Watchtower had at that time that Russell was the guy.

If Jesus allowed the Watchtower to get away with false teachings, then on what basis did he disapprove of other religions that He supposedly rejected?

It was only in 1931, as you showed from the quotation from the Vindication book, that they changed their view. But they still did not get it right. It was only in 2016, 97 years after their approval on examination, that they got it right. And the rank and file are supposed to believe this? Even among the most credulous, incredulity must have its limits.

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
          Exactly. Remember that back in 1919 when Jehovah and Jesus examined and then approved of the Watchtower organization, Jesus who knew that he was this man with the inkhorn, sanctioned the erroneous view that the Watchtower had at that time that Russell was the guy.

If Jesus allowed the Watchtower to get away with false teachings, then on what basis did he disapprove of other religions that He supposedly rejected?

It was only in 1931, as you showed from the quotation from the Vindication book, that they changed their view. But they still did not get it right. It was only in 2016, 97 years after their approval on examination, that they got it right. And the rank and file are supposed to believe this? Even among the most credulous, incredulity must have its limits.
          bump
          Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Comment

Originally posted by HollyWood View Post

Agreed, Moggy.

And, Peter, why would Jesus approve the interpretation Russell and Rutherford gave----as Russell being the man with the inkhorn and his anointed followers being the six men?

The Finished Mystery, WTS 1917: http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/fin...tery/fme9.html
            Still no answer from Peter.

Comment

Let's look at how the WTS has gone back and forth on who the man with the inkhorn is

First it's one man, their founder, C.T. Russell:

1917 [The Finished Mystery, p.418] 9:4. And the Lord said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof. — ….Hither and thither, traveling and preaching for nearly forty years Pastor Russell obeyed this command; and through the printed page of books, tracts and newspapers he went into every corner of the world. "Set a mark", literally "set a 'tav' upon the foreheads." The "Tav" was the twenty-second letter of the Hebrew alphabet, and in its earlier form had the shape of a cross (+)." The forehead signifies the intellect (Rev. 7:3; 14:1). Pastor Russell's great work was to imprint indelibly in the minds of certain ones the truth about the Cross, the sacrifice of the Christ, Head and Body, and the part of the Church therein.

Rutherford agreed with that "present truth":

1920 [WT April 1, 1920, p.102]: Practically all in present truth, if not all, we believe, concur in the thought that the "man . . . clothed with linen, with a writer's inkhorn by his side" (Ezekiel 9: 2) foreshadowed Brother Russell; that Brother Russell had a commission from the Lord to do certain work; and that he finished that work and reported the same. (Ezekiel 9: 11)

Then Rutherford disagreed rather strenuously with that "present truth":

1931 [Vindication Book #1, 1931, Chapter 9 p.100] There is not one scripture to support the conclusion that the man with the writer's inkhorn by his side and clothed with linen pictures an individual. There are numerous scriptures proving that this one man pictures all the anointed ones on earth, and which constitute the "servant" class, the remnant of the Lord.

The WTS' "Faithful Slave" evidently had "all the facts" and continued Rutherford's teaching, claiming it was Jehovah himself who "had definitely revealed" it to them:

1952 [w52 11/15 p. 678]In times past it was thought that the man in linen with the writer’s inkhorn by his side pictured a certain individual in modern times. However, that does not appear to be reasonable …. Such would be attaching too much importance to a man and would savor of creature worship. Rather, all the facts indicate that this man in linen with a writer’s inkhorn by his side pictures or represents the body of faithful anointed Christians working as a unit for the accomplishment of Jehovah’s purposes in the earth, and who are working together under divine direction as the “faithful and discreet slave”.

1971 [“Know Jehovah”, 1971, p.172-173, 26] Thus these dedicated, anointed followers of Jesus recognized themselves as the Christian witnesses of Jehovah, whereas the prophet Ezekiel was a pre-Christian witness of Jehovah. They were very grateful that their God, Jehovah, had definitely revealed to them the work for them to do as indicated in the vision to Ezekiel concerning the man “clothed with linen, with a secretary’s inkhorn at his hips.” ….. It was as if Jehovah, from atop his chariot-like heavenly organization were saying thenceforth to this modern-day ‘man with the inkhorn’ the words of command: “Pass through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem [as typical of Christendom], and you must put a mark on the foreheads of the men that are sighing and groaning over all the detestable things that are being done in the midst of it.”—Ezekiel 9:4

Even more sure the next year and for the next decade, the 'faithful slave' draws on "historic facts" and work that "proves" "unmistakably" that they are the man with the inkhorn:

1972 [w72 1/15 p.47-48, par.25-26] Who, then, has been doing the work of the modern-day composite man “clothed with linen”? The historic facts as published throughout the earth are at hand to identify who that composite “man” is……Not just the name [Jehovah’s Witnesses], but the work carried out by them since then proves that this anointed remnant of Christian witnesses of the Most High God are unmistakably the twentieth-century fulfillment of the man “clothed with linen, with a secretary’s inkhorn.”

1984 [1984 “Survival”p.96] The facts show that "the faithful and discreet slave" class is doing that marking work today. Matthew 24:45-47.

Then last year the recently identified "faithful slave" disputes Rutherford's teaching that a prior "faithful slave" had said came "definitely" from Jehovah. Despite the "historic facts", "all the facts", the 'unmistakable proofs', and despite their former president's warning about creature worship, they go back to Russell's idea that the man with the inkhorn is indeed a single individual, and that single individual is Jesus:

2016 [w16 June, QFR, p.16-17] In the past, we have explained that in the modern-day fulfillment of this vision, the man with the secretary’s inkhorn represented the anointed remnant. … In the modern-day fulfillment, the man with the secretary’s inkhorn represents Jesus Christ, the one behind the scenes who marks those who will survive.

Comment

Bringing back

Comment

Their 2018 book explains why JWs should now change what they believe the Bible really teaches, at least one explanation even being that what they were told to believe before by their JW leaders had no basis in scripture. https://www.jw.org/en/publications/b...larifications/

JW, how do you feel about that?

Also, the Insight books have been updated as of November 2018 and are available online. https://www.jw.org/en/publications/b...he-Scriptures/

Holly

Comment

Working...
                  X