Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Refuting WTS doctrines -Jesus Christ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HollyWood View Post

It's not only NT theology JWs are lacking in, they don't appear to know their own WTS beliefs. That's what comes of not being led by the Holy Spirit.

If their worship of Jesus was seen by them as merely deep respect and not reverent adoration, why even tell them it was not okay to worship Jesus? [see QFR 1/1/1954 p.30]
    You ask this question and refer your readers to the QFR 1/1/1954 p.30. But the answer lies in the very first sentences of that answer to the question "Should we worship Jesus?" It has to do with Trinitarian 'type' worship of Jesus! Neither the early Bible Students or Jehovah's Witnesses have ever worshipped Jesus in that way and you know it. Hence, this is further strong evidence you do not understand(on purpose?)even what you quote and/or refer your readers to as you go on to conflate and confound certain different subjects!

Comment

Worth another read methinks

Comment

Still no answer from JWs ask to why "for public Christian worship of Almighty God and Christ Jesus" was removed from the WT Org charter.
        Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heartís desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about Godís righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupendousman!

My GUESS is that no churchoid understands what "worship" is.
          Do YOU?
          Is that the reason it was removed? Did JW leaders decide they had the wrong understanding of what worship is?
          Last edited by cdrom1; 10-06-18, 12:44 AM. Reason: alert: no rule violation
          Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heartís desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about Godís righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Comment

Russell's worship of Jesus was based on his belief that Jesus was God:

"It seems clear that His Divinity was retained in humanity because He repeatedly spoke of Himself as having come down from heaven, and because He, though passing through trial and sorrow as a man, was yet possessed of the authority and exercised the prerogatives of a God. He was the object of unreproved worship even when a babe, by the wise men who came to see the new-born King. Matt. 2:2-11. Even the angels delighted to do Him honor. "When He bringeth the first-begotten into the world, He saith, "And let all the angels of God worship Him." Heb. 1:6. He never reproved any one for acts of worship offered to Himself, but when Cornelius offered such service to Peter--the leading apostle-- "he took him up, saying, stand up; I myself also am a man." .... Had Christ not been more than a man the same reason would have prevented from receiving worship...." Zion's Watch Tower 1880 Oct pp.2-3

Nor did Russell consider worship of Jesus as what any ordinary person of high rank would be accorded:

"In one respect many of Christendom could learn numerous important lessons from these wise Gentiles....They worshiped him in three senses of the word: (1) They fell before him, prostrated themselves, thus physically expressing their reverence. (2) They worshiped him in their hearts and with the tongue gave expression to their rejoicing and confidence. (3) They opened their treasure-box and presented to him three gifts appropriate to royalty: the myrrh representing submission, frankincense representing praise, gold representing obedience." Zion's Watch Tower 1906 Jan 1 p.15

Russell also believed Jesus should be prayed to:

"It is undoubtedly proper enough for us to address petitions to our Redeemer and Advocate, who loved us and gave himself for us....Although we are nowhere instructed to make petitions to him, it evidently could not be improper so to do; for such a course is nowhere prohibited, and the disciples worshiped him." Zion's Watch Tower 1892 May 15 p.157

Your next president of the WTS (Rutherford) also held Russell's beliefs about worshiping Jesus:

"Jehovah God commands all to worship Christ Jesus because Christ Jesus is the express image of his Father, Jehovah, and because he is the Executive Officer of Jehovah always carrying out Jehovah's purpose (Heb.:3-6)." Watchtower November 15, 1939 p. 339.

"During the Millennium, "the princes will lead the people in their worship of Jehovah and of Christ." Vindication Volume 3 (J. F. Rutherford, 1932) p.295

"The people of all nations who obtain salvation must come to the house of the Lord to worship there; that is to say, they must believe on and worship Jehovah God and the Lord Jesus Christ, his chief instrument (Philippians 2:10, 11)." Salvation (J. F. Rutherford, 1939) p.151

As did Knorr:

"Now, at Christ's coming to reign as king in Jehovah's capital organization Zion, to bring in a righteous new world, Jehovah makes him infinitely higher than the godly angels or messengers and accordingly commands them to worship him. Since Jehovah God now reigns as King by means of his capital organization Zion, then whosoever would worship Him must also worship and bow down to Jehovah's Chief One in that capital organization, namely, Christ Jesus, his Co-regent on the throne of The Theocracy." Watchtower 1945 Oct 15 p.313

Then in the 1950s to coincide with their own translation of the Bible, worshiping Jesus was changed to "merely bowing or doing obeisance to a person out of deep respect." [w54 1/1 p.30]

JWs today are to consider the reverent adoration they gave Jesus for all those decades was a form of idolatry---worshiping a mere man who was supposed to be shown only deep respect.:

Yes, reverent adoration should be expressed only to God. To render worship to anyone or anything else would be a form of idolatry, which is condemned in both the Hebrew and the Greek Scriptures......Accordingly, true Christians do well to direct their worship only to Jehovah God, the Almighty. Awake! 2000 Apr 8 pp.26,27
            Bumping this post up which shows the history of the WTS with regard to worship of Jesus.

Comment

(Guess only those that PAY can post images?)

Comment

Originally posted by Stupendousman! View Post
                (Guess only those that PAY can post images?)
                That is correct. Members who pay yearly dues to CARM are allowed to post images. Please read the rules at the top of the page, under the red MESSAGE TO ALL USERS. There is a link there to the rules page.

Comment

Heh! I guess THAT answers my question!

Comment

Yes, reverent adoration should be expressed only to God. To render worship to anyone or anything else would be a form of idolatry, which is condemned in both the Hebrew and the Greek Scriptures......Accordingly, true Christians do well to direct their worship only to Jehovah God, the Almighty. Awake! 2000 Apr 8 pp.26,27 .
                    Notice that this article doesn't differentiate between worship of 'a Trinitarian type' and whatever kind of worship the WTS was giving Jesus for all those decades before they took it out of their charter.

IF the worship they were giving Almighty God and Jesus Christ for all those years was of the right sort, why take it out of their charter?

Comment

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102000250

Notice that this article doesn't differentiate between worship of 'a Trinitarian type' and whatever kind of worship the WTS was giving Jesus for all those decades before they took it out of their charter.

IF the worship they were giving Almighty God and Jesus Christ for all those years was of the right sort, why take it out of their charter?
                      The Awake article referenced above, April 8, 2000, p.26,27 condemns worship of Jesus Christ as idolatry........something JWs were guilty of from the beginning of their religion in the late 1870's.

Holly

Comment

The Awake article referenced above, April 8, 2000, p.26,27 condemns worship of Jesus Christ as idolatry........something JWs were guilty of from the beginning of their religion in the late 1870's.

Holly
                        The condemnation of worship of Jesus had to do with Trinitarian worship of he as 'God'(really as the 2nd person of a co-equal co-substantial Triad) which is entirely different from the 'worship' the Witnesses gave to Jesus "in the late 1870's" as they did not or ever have believed him to be that! Hence, once again, we find a clear instance of a confounding of two different meanings and hence a misleading of the unwary reader. This is inexcusable, especially in the light of posts # 8, 13, 15 and 16 which have yet to be addressed let alone refuted.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Working...
                          X