Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

What would you say to your family who is trapped in a cult

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Stupendousman! I'm only still reading thorugh this thread but was struck by your comment:

YES!
    We ARE completely "united in mind and thought" as to who God and Christ are, what His spirit is, that the dead ARE dead, and that the Kingdom is the ONLY
    REAL Hope for mankind!
    Do you mind if I ask you a question? (Sorry if it's been asked and aswered before - I'm new to the forum).

Here's the question: Are you (personal pronoun) faithful to what Jesus says, or to what the Governing Body says? If, for instance, Jesus and the GB were to make mutually exclusive claims, which would you believe/follow/trust and why?

Comment

vashtiwood--- I have studied carefully all sides. I studied what Jesus taught-57 years of it--The teachings of Jesus back the JW teachers in every translation on earth. Those teachings are not taught correctly in any building called-church. I studied there as well in different denominations. They are paid to teach that religions brand of dogmas taught in the schools of men. And little of what Jesus actually teaches. I know 100% fact. The JW teachers teach every utterance from God over and over. Jesus taught man must live by every utterance.

Comment

Many of my family is trapped in the Catholic Cult- and listen to nothing but their church....

Comment

Originally posted by HollyWood View Post
          As we all know, JWs were named JWs (Jehovah's Witnesses) and set great store by that invented name---Jehovah---as though THEY discovered it, rather than it being put together by a Catholic priest who combining the vowel points of the Hebrew word for Lord (Adonai) with the consonants of God's name YHWH and came up with Jehovah.

While most of the Mainstream Churches simply REMOVE God's Name from the Bible- and teach 'He' is a 'THEY"!

Comment

Originally posted by GetREAL! View Post

While most of the Mainstream Churches simply REMOVE God's Name from the Bible- and teach 'He' is a 'THEY"!
            No one has removed God's name from the Bible. It's still there in the Hebrew manuscripts of the OT and was never in the Greek manuscripts of the NT. What you must be referring to is how the four Hebrew consonants, YHWH, is rendered in English, which is variously as LORD, GOD, Jehovah, Yahweh.

Last edited by HollyWood; 02-15-19, 08:14 PM.
            Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Comment

Originally posted by HollyWood View Post

No one has removed God's name from the Bible. It's still there in the Hebrew manuscripts of the OT and was never in the Greek manuscripts of the NT. What you must be referring to is how the four Hebrew consonants, YHWH, is rendered in English, which is variously as LORD, GOD, Jehovah, Yahweh.

Yes- at FIRST the Greek had no version.
              Later they had one: Ihovah.

"Lord" and "God" are phony translations, coined for Churchianity.

Comment

Yes- at FIRST the Greek had no version.
                Later they had one: Ihovah.

"Lord" and "God" are phony translations, coined for Churchianity.
                Lord and God are not translations of YHWH, merely representations of it because the Hebrew word for Lord, Adonai, was how YHWH came to be pronounced.

Tell me, do you know the name you are NOT to call God, unless you are one of the 144,000 anointed JWs?

Holly
                Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Comment

Confirmation Bias is a Tragedy.

Comment

Confirmation Bias is a Tragedy.
                    I take it you don't know the name you are NOT to call God, unless you are one of the 144,000 anointed JWs.

Holly

Comment

• Originally posted by HollyWood View Post

I take it you don't know the name you are NOT to call God, unless you are one of the 144,000 anointed JWs.

Holly

Holly, youir question makes no sense to me- since God has ONLY one Name- tho many Titles- as with His son.

Comment

• Originally posted by GetREAL! View Post

Holly, youir question makes no sense to me- since God has ONLY one Name- tho many Titles- as with His son.
                        I was wondering if maybe your were not aware of the endearing name Jesus called his Father......."Abba".

See this, for example:

ws15 1/15 p. 13-14 The anointed are absolutely sure that they are God’s children and that they can partake of the emblems. (Romans 8:15-17). Paul said that they cry out: Abba, Father!” The Aramaic word “Abba” is both loving, like “papa,” and respectful, like “father.” It expresses the special relationship that the anointed have with Jehovah when they receive “a spirit of adoption as sons.” God’s spirit “bears witness” with them, so that they know without a doubt that they are his anointed sons. It does not mean that they do not want to live on the earth. They know that if they are faithful until their death, they will be kings in heaven with Jesus. And they know that they “have an anointing from the holy one,” Jehovah. Today there are only a few of these 144,000 sons of God left on earth. They feel so close to Jehovah that they call him Abba, Father!”

Holly

Comment

I was wondering if maybe your were not aware of the endearing name Jesus called his Father......."Abba".

See this, for example:

ws15 1/15 p. 13-14 The anointed are absolutely sure that they are God’s children and that they can partake of the emblems. (Romans 8:15-17). Paul said that they cry out: Abba, Father!” The Aramaic word “Abba” is both loving, like “papa,” and respectful, like “father.” It expresses the special relationship that the anointed have with Jehovah when they receive “a spirit of adoption as sons.” God’s spirit “bears witness” with them, so that they know without a doubt that they are his anointed sons. It does not mean that they do not want to live on the earth. They know that if they are faithful until their death, they will be kings in heaven with Jesus. And they know that they “have an anointing from the holy one,” Jehovah. Today there are only a few of these 144,000 sons of God left on earth. They feel so close to Jehovah that they call him Abba, Father!”

Holly
                          And unlike imitation Christians, they call Jesus their "Brother".
                          Hirsch means “deer” or “stag” in Yiddish. It is the root of many Ashkenazic last names including Hart, and Hartman. It is the Yiddish translation of the Hebrew word for gazelle — tsvi. The gazelle was the symbol of the tribe of Naphtali.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Hart View Post

And unlike imitation Christians, they call Jesus their "Brother".
                            Is that because Thomas is recorded as saying to Jesus, "My Lord and my brother" ?

Or did he say, "My Lord and my Father"?

Or, "My Lord and my God."

Have a nice day, Peter.

Holly

Comment

Is that because Thomas is recorded as saying to Jesus, "My Lord and my brother" ?

Or did he say, "My Lord and my Father"?

Or, "My Lord and my God."

Have a nice day, Peter.

Holly
                              No, it's because
                              Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’ ”

But as we all know, you don't take any notice of the things Jesus said. You should because - 18Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
                              Hirsch means “deer” or “stag” in Yiddish. It is the root of many Ashkenazic last names including Hart, and Hartman. It is the Yiddish translation of the Hebrew word for gazelle — tsvi. The gazelle was the symbol of the tribe of Naphtali.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Hart View Post

No, it's because
                                Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’ ”

But as we all know, you don't take any notice of the things Jesus said. You should because - 18Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
                                Are you of the Anointed and call the Father, "Abba", unlike GetReal who is not and does not?

Holly

Comment

Working...
                                X