Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sidney Rigdon, the founder of Mormonism!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidney Rigdon, the founder of Mormonism!

One Mormon here, particularly, really hates the fact that Sidney Rigdon can be documented to be the real founder of Mormonism. But, the facts speak for themselves, and the mentally ill Rigdon was obviously part and parcel of early Mormonism and instrumental in writing the Book of Mormon. In fact, Rigdon even prophesied the book:

In a Jan 22, 1841 letter written to Walter Scott, Adamson Bentley said:
    I know that Sidney Rigdon told me that there was a book coming out, the manuscript of which had been found engraved on gold plates, as much as two years before the Mormon Book made its appearance, or had been heard of by me.

"Thomas Clapp, a deacon in the church where Rigdon preached, confirmed Bentley's statement:
    Elder Adamson Bentley told me that as he was one day riding with Sidney Rigdon and conversing upon the Bible, Mr. Rigdon told him that another book of equal authority with the bible, as well authenticated and as ancient, which would give an account of the history of the Indian tribes on this continent, with many other things of great importance to the world, would soon be published. This was before Mormonism was ever heard of in Ohio, and when it appeared, the avidity with which Rigdon received it convinced him that if Rigdon was not the author of it he was at least acquainted with the whole matter some time before it was published to the world.

(see source here: http://www.mormonthink.com/mormonstudiesrigdon.htm#16 )

One asks, why would Sidney Rigdon, if he did conspire in writing the BoM, be dumb enough to predict it? The man was sick, folks, He was mentally unbalanced. Contemporaries attests to this. As he grew older, he sunk more and more into Unreality He ended up "channeling" the dead! Rigdon had suffered a fall from a horse as a youngster, and apparently his mental problems were a direct result of this fall.

"When quite a young boy, living with his father some fifteen miles south of Pittsburgh, he was thrown from a horse. His foot entangling in a stirrup, he was dragged some distance before relieved. In this accident he received some contusion of the brain as it ever afterward seriously affected his character, and in some respects his conduct.... His mental powers did not seem to be impaired, but the equilibrium of his intellectual exertions seems thereby to have been sadly affected. He still manifested great mental activity and power, but was to an equal degree inclined to run into wild visionary views on almost every question. " (source: Bryan E. Ready's 2001 MA Thesis, "William H. Whitsitt: Insights into Early Mormonism")

Now, as we know, Mormons discount any neutral research, and especially voice contempt for theses (as they've done here). Forget that these researchers are doing university level research for their degrees and must defend their conclusions. Mormons on this site discount research that denies Mormon fantasies. But, this thesis will explain Rigdon's connection with early Mormonism, and how Campbellism came to be incorporated into Mormonism, and that fact remains to this very day. Alexander Campbell saw it - and he never fell off of a horse and hit his head!

Read this: http://sidneyrigdon.com/books/2001Read.htm#pg018a

Folks, Rigdon's own grandson believed his grandfather cooked up the Book of Mormon with Joe Smith: "Grandfather was a religious crank," says Mr. Rigdon, "till he lost money by it. He started in as a Baptist preacher, and had a very fine congregation for those days, in Pittsburg. There was no reason at all for his leaving, except that he got 'cracked.' At that time he had no ideas of making money. Indeed, while he was with the Mormons, his chances to make money were good enough for most men; but he came out of it about as poor as he went in."

B. -- "But how did he change first?"

"Well, he tried to understand the prophecies, and the man who does that is sure to go crazy. He studied the prophets and baptism, and of course he got 'rattled.' Daniel and Ezekiel and Revelations will 'rattle' any man who gives his whole mind to 'em -- at any rate they did him, and he joined Alexander Campbell. Campbell then believed that the end of the world was nigh --his Millennial Harginger shows that they 'rattled' all who listened to them in Ohio and other places; then grandfather got disgusted and decided on a new deal. He found Joe Smith and they had a great many talks together before they brought out the plates. None of us ever doubted that they got the whole thing up; but father always maintained that grandfather helped get up the original Spaulding book. At any rate he got a copy very early and schemed on some way to make it useful. Although the family knew these facts, they refused to talk on the subject while grandfather lived. In fact, he and they took on a huge disgust at the whole subject. "
    (Mormon History, Interview with Sidney Rigdon's Grandson, 1888, The Salt Lake Tribune, Apr. 15, 1888)

Mormons really need to mature in their thinking and stop yelling that everything contrary to their personal beliefs is a lie! Mormons, the truth is out there!
    Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 03-27-15, 11:01 AM.

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
    the truth is out there!
    You know. Guys who try to convince people that little green aliens exist say the same thing. This is just as nutty as they are. You fit right in. There is no sane person on the planet who believes this drivel.
    Last edited by austin37; 03-27-15, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by austin37 View Post
      You know. Guys who try to convince people that little green aliens exist say the same thing. This is just as nutty as they are. You fit right in. There is no sane person on the planet who believes this drivel.
      Sanity is believing angels gave Joe 'The Shark' Smith golden tablets and special glasses that only he could see and use to bring new revelations from God to earth? I don't think so. That is Harry Potter nonsense. Besides, the book Joe came up with through mysterious circumstances was filled with contradictions and errors, something so unlike God to have written. Go figure.
      I am not a NPB-Onlyist (No Perfect Bible Onlyist), nor a NA/UBS-Onlyist. Marke

If this book be not infallible, where shall we find infallibility? We have given up the Pope, for he has blundered often and terribly; but we shall not set up instead of him a horde of little popelings fresh from college. C. H. Spurgeon

For that Revised Version I have but little care as a general rule, holding it to be by no means an improvement upon our common Authorized Version. C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

- - - Yeah, just as nutty as the fruit-cakes who believe that the Amer-Indians descended from the Jews especially in 2015 when it has virtually been proved to be a falsehood with DNA research.

- - - But it is still true . . . . . people will believe anything contrary to the facts as long as it doesn't upset their consciences.

Comment

One Mormon here, particularly, really hates the fact that Sidney Rigdon can be documented to be the real founder of Mormonism. But, the facts speak for themselves, and the mentally ill Rigdon was obviously part and parcel of early Mormonism and instrumental in writing the Book of Mormon. In fact, Rigdon even prophesied the book:

In a Jan 22, 1841 letter written to Walter Scott, Adamson Bentley said:
          I know that Sidney Rigdon told me that there was a book coming out, the manuscript of which had been found engraved on gold plates, as much as two years before the Mormon Book made its appearance, or had been heard of by me.

"Thomas Clapp, a deacon in the church where Rigdon preached, confirmed Bentley's statement:
          Elder Adamson Bentley told me that as he was one day riding with Sidney Rigdon and conversing upon the Bible, Mr. Rigdon told him that another book of equal authority with the bible, as well authenticated and as ancient, which would give an account of the history of the Indian tribes on this continent, with many other things of great importance to the world, would soon be published. This was before Mormonism was ever heard of in Ohio, and when it appeared, the avidity with which Rigdon received it convinced him that if Rigdon was not the author of it he was at least acquainted with the whole matter some time before it was published to the world.

(see source here: http://www.mormonthink.com/mormonstudiesrigdon.htm#16 )

One asks, why would Sidney Rigdon, if he did conspire in writing the BoM, be dumb enough to predict it? The man was sick, folks, He was mentally unbalanced. Contemporaries attests to this. As he grew older, he sunk more and more into Unreality He ended up "channeling" the dead! Rigdon had suffered a fall from a horse as a youngster, and apparently his mental problems were a direct result of this fall.

"When quite a young boy, living with his father some fifteen miles south of Pittsburgh, he was thrown from a horse. His foot entangling in a stirrup, he was dragged some distance before relieved. In this accident he received some contusion of the brain as it ever afterward seriously affected his character, and in some respects his conduct.... His mental powers did not seem to be impaired, but the equilibrium of his intellectual exertions seems thereby to have been sadly affected. He still manifested great mental activity and power, but was to an equal degree inclined to run into wild visionary views on almost every question. " (source: Bryan E. Ready's 2001 MA Thesis, "William H. Whitsitt: Insights into Early Mormonism")

Now, as we know, Mormons discount any neutral research, and especially voice contempt for theses (as they've done here). Forget that these researchers are doing university level research for their degrees and must defend their conclusions. Mormons on this site discount research that denies Mormon fantasies. But, this thesis will explain Rigdon's connection with early Mormonism, and how Campbellism came to be incorporated into Mormonism, and that fact remains to this very day. Alexander Campbell saw it - and he never fell off of a horse and hit his head!
          Read this: http://sidneyrigdon.com/books/2001Read.htm#pg018a

Folks, Rigdon's own grandson believed his grandfather cooked up the Book of Mormon with Joe Smith: "Grandfather was a religious crank," says Mr. Rigdon, "till he lost money by it. He started in as a Baptist preacher, and had a very fine congregation for those days, in Pittsburg. There was no reason at all for his leaving, except that he got 'cracked.' At that time he had no ideas of making money. Indeed, while he was with the Mormons, his chances to make money were good enough for most men; but he came out of it about as poor as he went in."

B. -- "But how did he change first?"

"Well, he tried to understand the prophecies, and the man who does that is sure to go crazy. He studied the prophets and baptism, and of course he got 'rattled.' Daniel and Ezekiel and Revelations will 'rattle' any man who gives his whole mind to 'em -- at any rate they did him, and he joined Alexander Campbell. Campbell then believed that the end of the world was nigh --his Millennial Harginger shows that they 'rattled' all who listened to them in Ohio and other places; then grandfather got disgusted and decided on a new deal. He found Joe Smith and they had a great many talks together before they brought out the plates. None of us ever doubted that they got the whole thing up; but father always maintained that grandfather helped get up the original Spaulding book. At any rate he got a copy very early and schemed on some way to make it useful. Although the family knew these facts, they refused to talk on the subject while grandfather lived. In fact, he and they took on a huge disgust at the whole subject. "
          (Mormon History, Interview with Sidney Rigdon's Grandson, 1888, The Salt Lake Tribune, Apr. 15, 1888)

Mormons really need to mature in their thinking and stop yelling that everything contrary to their personal beliefs is a lie! Mormons, the truth is out there!
          Once again, for the Anti-Mormon, the thinking has been done.

Comment

So explain something, Catherine. If Sydney Rigdon was really the "founder of Mormonism," why would Joseph Smith put his head in a hat to translate the Book of Mormon? If you really believe Joseph somehow used Rigdon as his source for the Book of Mormon against all evidence otherwise, then you should never make a comment again about Joseph putting his head in a hat or using the seer stone.

Comment

What I still don't understand is how someone's faith/religion can be so messed up that they spend time everyday scouring through books and websites devoted to attacking another faith/religion. I mean, seriously, to spend hours a day, after day, after day, looking for the writings of disgruntled ex-members of a faith, looking at websites where the information is only from a biased one-sided angle aimed at tearing down, and then bringing all that information to a message board to cut-n-paste as if it is cutting-edge, non-biased "research" that somehow damns the faith/religion that you have devoted your life to trying to destroy.

There are many religions I disagree with, but I can't imagine spending a large portion of my time and life to reading books that attack it, going to websites that give a one-sided skewed critique of it, running to the disgruntled people that have left it expecting to get an 'honest' assessment of it, or even going to a message board and pretending to have a correct paradigm of that religion just to attack it and trash it and demean its leaders and adherants.

One must have a serious problem in their own faith to let their hate for another faith take over their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Apollos View Post
                What I still don't understand is how someone's faith/religion can be so messed up that they spend time everyday scouring through books and websites devoted to attacking another faith/religion. I mean, seriously, to spend hours a day, after day, after day, looking for the writings of disgruntled ex-members of a faith, looking at websites where the information is only from a biased one-sided angle aimed at tearing down, and then bringing all that information to a message board to cut-n-paste as if it is cutting-edge, non-biased "research" that somehow damns the faith/religion that you have devoted your life to trying to destroy.

There are many religions I disagree with, but I can't imagine spending a large portion of my time and life to reading books that attack it, going to websites that give a one-sided skewed critique of it, running to the disgruntled people that have left it expecting to get an 'honest' assessment of it, or even going to a message board and pretending to have a correct paradigm of that religion just to attack it and trash it and demean its leaders and adherants.

One must have a serious problem in their own faith to let their hate for another faith take over their lives.

Could not agree more.

Comment

Gee, I knew you'd show up first! The thought that Rigdon might have invented your belief system really gets to you, doesn't it?
                  Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 03-27-15, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marke View Post
                    Sanity is believing angels gave Joe 'The Shark' Smith golden tablets and special glasses that only he could see and use to bring new revelations from God to earth? I don't think so. That is Harry Potter nonsense. Besides, the book Joe came up with through mysterious circumstances was filled with contradictions and errors, something so unlike God to have written. Go figure.
                    Facts and evidence mean nothing to Mormons if it contradicts the official myths. It's so obvious that Rigdon invented Mormonism and projected his own peculiar theology into the BoM, the Book of Moses, etc., that those not blinded by allegiance to the Mormon cult can see it clearly!

Comment

Gee, I knew you'd show up first! The thought that Rigdon might have invented your belief system really gets to you, doesn't it?
                      No it's not that at all. I'm smart enough to know this is a steaming pile of horse manure. What gets to me is there are people in the world that are still stupid enough to believe this and some of the other stuff you peddle here as your version of "truth". It makes me sad for the future of humanity that we are getting that dumb as a species. I figured natural selection would have removed that sort of stupidity from the gene pool by now.
                      Last edited by austin37; 03-27-15, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJB1988 View Post
                        Could not agree more.
                        Ditto.
                        A useful lie would not be against God..Satan can completely assume human form-we may lie with the Devil in the shape of a woman..women may think that a man is in bed with them yet ’tis the Devil; the result is an imp,half mortal,half devil (Luther)

Comment

Facts and evidence mean nothing to Mormons if it contradicts the official myths.
                          Not sure how that divisive attack on LDS people qualifies as discussing LDS doctrine, but whatever.

It's so obvious that Rigdon invented Mormonism and projected his own peculiar theology into the BoM, the Book of Moses, etc., that those not blinded by allegiance to the Mormon cult can see it clearly!
                          If it's so obvious that all non-blind people can easily see it, why is your conspiracy theory believed by only a tiny minority of anti-LDS people?
                          A useful lie would not be against God..Satan can completely assume human form-we may lie with the Devil in the shape of a woman..women may think that a man is in bed with them yet ’tis the Devil; the result is an imp,half mortal,half devil (Luther)

Comment

So, the main leader and founder of Mormonism was not a pedophile?

Comment

Originally posted by DJB1988 View Post
                              So explain something, Catherine. If Sydney Rigdon was really the "founder of Mormonism," why would Joseph Smith put his head in a hat to translate the Book of Mormon?
                              Easy. Joseph Smith lied just like he lied when he used his magic rock in the hat trick as a bit of theater to get hired to find buried treasure. The magic rock in the hat trick used to give the appearance of "translating" the Book of Mormon was just a natural extension of what con artists call "the game". His previous game was the treasure-hunting ruse. His FAR more successful game was his "translation" ruse.

If you really believe Joseph somehow used Rigdon as his source for the Book of Mormon against all evidence otherwise, then you should never make a comment again about Joseph putting his head in a hat or using the seer stone.
                              Obviously it is not 'against all evidence' as CA just showed you the comments of Rigdon's own grandson which, by the way, is consistent with a lot of other evidence. But as for Smith using his magic, treasure-hunting rock to supposedly "translate" the BoM, why would that little bit of theatre in any way suggest that anything posted in the OP never happened? If Rigdon was a conspirator in the instigation of the BoM hoax, why would Smith pretending to receive "revelations from God" through a magic rock in his hat be a problem? Isn't it obvious that that was just part of the ruse?

- BH

Last edited by BrianH; 03-28-15, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X