Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Mormon Folklore: Adam & Eve's Son Cain is BIGFOOT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post

You're talking about the assertion that many LDS people believed that "little men live on the moon dressed like Quakers" -- right?

The point is sailing way over your head. IF you HAD lived in the 1800's, how many Mormons would you have found who believed that "little men live on the moon dressed like Quakers" ???

I don't think you would have found any at all.
    So they [as Members of the Mormon Church] did not believe in their prophet and his being able to speak to God on such matters?

OK?????

Comment

Originally posted by jamesone5 View Post

[B]But this was from YOUR prophets that claimed it was from God---that men who looked like Quakers lived on the moon.
      CFR.. where do they claim it's FROM GOD? Where do LDS have that in their scriptures?

Your very obvious denial is duly noted.
      I only deny your imagination about LDS beliefs are remotely accurate.. Seems like someone was sleeping in Sunday School.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” -- George Carlin

We tolerate no one in our ranks who attacks the ideals of Christianity, our movement is Christian. - Adolf Hitler

Comment

Originally posted by oceancoast View Post
        CFR.. where do they claim it's FROM GOD? Where do LDS have that in their scriptures?

I only deny your imagination about LDS beliefs are remotely accurate.. Seems like someone was sleeping in Sunday School.

1. Brigham Young, second LDS Prophet, said, "Who can tell us of the inhabitants of this little planet that shines of an evening, called the Moon?... When you inquire about the inhabitants of that sphere you find that the most learned are as ignorant in regard to them as the most ignorant of their fellows. So it is with regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question about it; it was not made in vain" (J. of D., Vol. XIII, p. 271). Young also said, "I have never yet preached a sermon and sent it out to the children of men, that they may not call Scripture" (Ibid., p. 95). This "scripture" about men on the moon as well as the sun by Brigham Young ought to raise eyebrows about Brigham Young's inspired messages.

Seem in you denial you have essentially questioned the Faith of those Mormons who lived at the time when Brigham Young was alive. You in you denial, doubt that they affirmed their prophet just as you do? That BY's words preached in a Sermon are NOT to be considered to be SCRIPTURE?

As to my sleeping in Sunday School----no, I doubt that it was ever taught in the 1960's or 70's or even beyond as it is something the Church wants to deny, just as you do here.

Comment

1. Brigham Young, second LDS Prophet, said, "Who can tell us of the inhabitants of this little planet that shines of an evening, called the Moon?... When you inquire about the inhabitants of that sphere you find that the most learned are as ignorant in regard to them as the most ignorant of their fellows. So it is with regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question about it; it was not made in vain" (J. of D., Vol. XIII, p. 271). Young also said, "I have never yet preached a sermon and sent it out to the children of men, that they may not call Scripture" (Ibid., p. 95). This "scripture" about men on the moon as well as the sun by Brigham Young ought to raise eyebrows about Brigham Young's inspired messages.

Seem in you denial you have essentially questioned the Faith of those Mormons who lived at the time when Brigham Young was alive. You in you denial, doubt that they affirmed their prophet just as you do? That BY's words preached in a Sermon are NOT to be considered to be SCRIPTURE?

As to my sleeping in Sunday School----no, I doubt that it was ever taught in the 1960's or 70's or even beyond as it is something the Church wants to deny, just as you do here.
          In that quote you provided, did you see any mention of revelation? What I saw was an explicit statement of personal opinion. “I rather think that...” It couldn’t have been more clear unless he had said “this is just my opinion”.

Comment

"I have never yet preached a sermon and sent it out to the children of men, that they may not call Scripture: is a statement by Brigham.

From a sermon by Brigham Young: "Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so. The nations of the earth have transgressed every law that God has given, they have changed the ordinances and broken every covenant made with the fathers, and they are like a hungry man that dreameth that he eateth, and he awaketh and behold he is empty." JD:10:110

"Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken-He is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non-professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later. They came here, organized the raw material, and arranged in their order the herbs of the field, the trees, the apple, the peach, the plum, the pear, and every other fruit that is desirable and good for man; the seed was brought from another sphere, and planted in this earth. The thistle, the thorn, the brier, and the obnoxious weed did not appear until after the earth was cursed. When Adam and Eve had eaten of the forbidden fruit, their bodies became mortal from its effects, and therefore their offspring were mortal...It is true that the earth was organized by three distinct characters, namely, Eloheim, Yahovah, and Michael, these three forming a quorum, as in all heavenly bodies, and in organizing element, perfectly represented in the Deity, as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost." Brigham Young, JD 1:50-51

"I say, rather than that apostates should flourish here, I will unsheath my bowie knife, and conquer or die. (Great commotion in the congregation, and a simultaneous burst of feeling, assenting to the declaration.) Now, you nasty apostates, clear out, or judgment will be put to the line, and righteousness to the plummet. (Voices, generally, "go it, go it.")If you say it is right, raise your hands. "JD 1:83, Brigham Young

Jedediah Grant, leader of Mormon Reformation in Utah: "
            "What would a man of God say, who felt aright, when Joseph asked him for his money? He would say, "Yes, and I wish I had more to help to build up the kingdom of God." Or if he came and said, "I want your wife?" "O yes," he would say, "here she is, there are plenty more."

Joseph Smith: ". . .I prophesy in the name of the Lord God of Israel, unless the United States redress the wrongs committed upon the Saints in the state of Missouri and punish the crimes committed by her officers that in a few years the government will be utterly overthrown and wasted, and there will not be so much as a potsherd left . . . " (History of the Church, vol. 5, p. 394).

Joseph Smith:
            "God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil--all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet . . . " (History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 408-409) My note: This guy had a short memory - I guess he forgot the great Mormon apostasy at Kirtland.

‘Inhabitants of the Moon are more of a uniform size than the inhabitants of the Earth, being about 6 feet in height. They dress very much like the Quaker Style & are quite general in Style, or the one fashion of dress. They live to be very old; comeing [sic] generally, near a thousand years.' This is the description of them as given by Joseph the Seer, and he could ‘See' whatever he asked the Father in the name of Jesus to see.”

- Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., in Journal of O.B. Huntington, Book 14, p. 166 My note: This was borrowed, I believe, from the writings of Swedenborg, another cult leader.

Folks, the greatest folklore myth in the Mormon cult is this: that there are actually prophets leading their cult. Only the most credulous could look at the list of Mormon prophets and what they taught and think there is any kind of supernatural inspiration in their words, other than the demonic.

Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
              "I have never yet preached a sermon and sent it out to the children of men, that they may not call Scripture: is a statement by Brigham.

From a sermon by Brigham Young: "Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so. The nations of the earth have transgressed every law that God has given, they have changed the ordinances and broken every covenant made with the fathers, and they are like a hungry man that dreameth that he eateth, and he awaketh and behold he is empty." JD:10:110

"Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken-He is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non-professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later. They came here, organized the raw material, and arranged in their order the herbs of the field, the trees, the apple, the peach, the plum, the pear, and every other fruit that is desirable and good for man; the seed was brought from another sphere, and planted in this earth. The thistle, the thorn, the brier, and the obnoxious weed did not appear until after the earth was cursed. When Adam and Eve had eaten of the forbidden fruit, their bodies became mortal from its effects, and therefore their offspring were mortal...It is true that the earth was organized by three distinct characters, namely, Eloheim, Yahovah, and Michael, these three forming a quorum, as in all heavenly bodies, and in organizing element, perfectly represented in the Deity, as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost." Brigham Young, JD 1:50-51

"I say, rather than that apostates should flourish here, I will unsheath my bowie knife, and conquer or die. (Great commotion in the congregation, and a simultaneous burst of feeling, assenting to the declaration.) Now, you nasty apostates, clear out, or judgment will be put to the line, and righteousness to the plummet. (Voices, generally, "go it, go it.")If you say it is right, raise your hands. "JD 1:83, Brigham Young

Jedediah Grant, leader of Mormon Reformation in Utah: "
              "What would a man of God say, who felt aright, when Joseph asked him for his money? He would say, "Yes, and I wish I had more to help to build up the kingdom of God." Or if he came and said, "I want your wife?" "O yes," he would say, "here she is, there are plenty more."

Joseph Smith: ". . .I prophesy in the name of the Lord God of Israel, unless the United States redress the wrongs committed upon the Saints in the state of Missouri and punish the crimes committed by her officers that in a few years the government will be utterly overthrown and wasted, and there will not be so much as a potsherd left . . . " (History of the Church, vol. 5, p. 394).

Joseph Smith:
              "God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil--all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet . . . " (History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 408-409) My note: This guy had a short memory - I guess he forgot the great Mormon apostasy at Kirtland.

‘Inhabitants of the Moon are more of a uniform size than the inhabitants of the Earth, being about 6 feet in height. They dress very much like the Quaker Style & are quite general in Style, or the one fashion of dress. They live to be very old; comeing [sic] generally, near a thousand years.' This is the description of them as given by Joseph the Seer, and he could ‘See' whatever he asked the Father in the name of Jesus to see.”

- Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., in Journal of O.B. Huntington, Book 14, p. 166 My note: This was borrowed, I believe, from the writings of Swedenborg, another cult leader.

Folks, the greatest folklore myth in the Mormon cult is this: that there are actually prophets leading their cult. Only the most credulous could look at the list of Mormon prophets and what they taught and think there is any kind of supernatural inspiration in their words, other than the demonic.

Folklore: a body of popular myths and beliefs... Christian Christian Creeds and a abomination according to Jesus Christ.. (first vision) hmmm
              Last edited by Mod8; 10-12-17, 11:32 AM. Reason: ALERT / no violation
              A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards. Proverbs

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf View Post

Folklore: a body of popular myths and beliefs... Christian Christian Creeds and a abomination according to Jesus Christ.. (first vision) hmmm
                We are not discussing creeds but Mormon folklore. Try and re-read the OP and address the contents.
                Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Comment

Lets see is this a case of another English comprehension lesson that needs to be given.. Hmmmm lets begin..

First nowhere in Brigham young's comments is he saying that the Claim was from God.. Nowhere.. In fact he simply say's "Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is." Saying I rather think it is, does not have the word God in the sentence at all.. In fact as Brigham Young thought it was inhabited was consistent with leading astronomers of his day..

Now notice how the critic engages in deception by conflating to entirely different quotes taken out of their context to make a claim neither quote was making originally.. and then it's the Critic , NOT LDS or any leader that makes the assertion BY comment about the Moon was 'Scripture'.. this is nothing more than an dishonest and disingenuous ************ ploy.

Once again.. I'm not the one in the conversation that is in DENIAL.. I do not conflate and distort and misrepresent what Brigham Young for a disingenuous unholy purpose as I see some here do.

You are correct , the things you present here about Mormonism have not been taught in 1960's or 70;s or ever.. and it's a patently false to assert they EVER were. So it rather suggest that you must have been asleep in Sunday school and simply dreamt them up on your own.

To all the Lurkers out there.. this is a classic example of the Anti Mormon MO.. to manufacture beliefs about the LDS faith and then perform quote mining to stitch together a false narrative about what LDS believe.

Furthermore, another MO here is also on display.. the fallacious straw man argument of projecting a false assertion that LDS leaders need to be PERFECT in everything they say and do.. and then proceed to find fault with something they said in order to knock them down.. When TRUTH Is , LDS do not project perfection on our leaders, we accept them as the humans they are. We do not accept everything they say or do is from God. That idea is simply a FABRICATION by anti Mormons for their straw man argument.

Now there is one element that might well be a genuine issue with some anti Mormons.. They are fundamentally emotionally insecure. They need to have a 'PERFECT' guide in their life.. That guide needs to be something they can objectively see , feel , touch etc. and they can't function without it. Unfortunately the Holy Spirit is the perfect guide, but it's not something they can see, touch etc.. they must rely upon feelings, and unfortunately that doesn't satisfy the insecurity that some of the critics here have.

With that being said, they may try projecting perfection on humans, such as LDS leaders, or other religious leaders, but since the objectively are not perfect the fail the critics need for a perfect leader.. consequently they turn to projecting perfection on to in animate objects.. and one such object is the Bible. They dismiss any and ALL humanity found in the Bible and project their own insecure need for perfection upon it.. it then become their inerrant guide for their IMAGINED reality. Then we see that if anyone disagrees with their IMAGINED interpretation of the Bible that they have projected perfection onto.. you will promptly be labeled as not trusting God.. Well the Truth is , we just don't trust that the Bible IS GOD that our critics make it to be. We trust in the Living God.. the one you don't see. .but must rely upon with the feelings in your heart..
                  Last edited by oceancoast; 10-12-17, 12:02 PM.
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” -- George Carlin

We tolerate no one in our ranks who attacks the ideals of Christianity, our movement is Christian. - Adolf Hitler

Comment

Lets see is this a case of another English comprehension lesson that needs to be given.. Hmmmm lets begin..

First nowhere in Brigham young's comments is he saying that the Claim was from God.. Nowhere.. In fact he simply say's "Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is." Saying I rather think it is, does not have the word God in the sentence at all.. In fact as Brigham Young thought it was inhabited was consistent with leading astronomers of his day..

Now notice how the critic engages in deception by conflating to entirely different quotes taken out of their context to make a claim neither quote was making originally.. and then it's the Critic , NOT LDS or any leader that makes the assertion BY comment about the Moon was 'Scripture'.. this is nothing more than an dishonest and disingenuous ************ ploy.

Once again.. I'm not the one in the conversation that is in DENIAL.. I do not conflate and distort and misrepresent what Brigham Young for a disingenuous unholy purpose as I see some here do.

You are correct , the things you present here about Mormonism have not been taught in 1960's or 70;s or ever.. and it's a patently false to assert they EVER were. So it rather suggest that you must have been asleep in Sunday school and simply dreamt them up on your own.
                    Just because they haven't been taught more recently, does not mean they weren't taught in the nascent period of Mormonism, when the early Mormons believed that every time their backs itched they were receiving a transmission from Kolob.

Comment

We are not discussing creeds but Mormon folklore. Try and re-read the OP and address the contents.
                      IT's Christian folklore too.. BTW.

Comment

Mormon folklore: These Mormons are going to become gods...................ROFL.

Comment

Mormon folklore: These Mormons are going to become gods...................ROFL.
                          Anti Mormon FACT: anti Mormons will never be gods. They will never be crowned with glory and sit on the throne of God with Christ.. in short they will not be gods.

Comment

Mormon folklore: Mormon temples actually have something to do with the Bible.

Comment

Anti Mormon FACT: anti Mormons will never be gods. They will never be crowned with glory and sit on the throne of God with Christ.. in short they will not be gods.
                              Would that be "especially if they don't keep the Word of Wisdom", OC?

Comment

IT's Christian folklore too.. BTW.
                                Point out any folklore in any Christian Creed. I especially direct you to the end of the Athanaisian Creed, which summarizes God's attitude toward those who call Him a Monster.

PS: Belief systems aren't folklore. You might want to check that out with somebody who was an English major.
                                Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 10-12-17, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X