Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Joseph Smith, Braggart Extraordinaire and Spiritual Bully

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Smith, Braggart Extraordinaire and Spiritual Bully

I seriously doubt Mormons read much actual history - either about their cult, or their founder. If they did, how can they cope with the facts? Joseph Smith was an outstanding braggart - nearly unbelievable. Here's an example of what visitors to Nauvoo wrote about him:

"The Greatest Egotist"

In 1843 Charlotte Haven wrote some letters from Nauvoo which contain some candid observations about Joseph Smith:

Joseph Smith ... is evidently a great egotist and boaster, for he frequently remarked that at every place he stopped going to and from Springfield people crowded around him, and expressed surprise that he was so "handsome and good looking" (Overland Monthly, December 1890, p. 621).

He talked incessantly about himself, what he had done and could do more than other mortals, and remarked that he was "a giant, physically and mentally." In fact, he seemed to forget that he was a man.... They say he is very kindhearted, and always ready to give shelter and help to the needy (p. 623).

I rushed out with the umbrella to shield Mrs. Smith, the others

followed.... Mrs. Smith was pleasant and social, more so than we had ever seen her before.... while her husband is the greatest egotist I ever met (p. 631).

Josiah Quincy related: "In a tone half-way between jest and earnest, and which might have been taken for either at the option of the hearer, the prophet put this inquiry: 'Is not here one greater than Solomon, who built a Temple with the treasures of his father David and with the assistance of Huram [sic], King of Tyre? Joseph Smith has built his Temple with no one to aid him in the work' " (Figures of the Past, as cited in Among the Mormons, p. 138).

A reporter who visited Joseph Smith wrote in 1843:

We spent about an hour conversing on various subjects, the prophet himself, with amazing volubility, occupying the most of the time, and his whole theme was himself. Let us give what turn we would to the conversation, he would adroitly bring it back to himself... he said: 'The world persecutes me, it has always persecuted me.... When I have proved that I am right, and get all the world subdued under me. I think I shall deserve something (The New York Spectator, September 23, 1843).

Not only was Smith a braggart, obsessed with glorifying himself, he had aspirations to be the king over the whole world:

"Smith Ordained King

Toward the end of his life Joseph Smith seems to have become obsessed with a desire for power and fame. He set up a secret "Council of Fifty" and had himself ordained to be a king. In 1853 William Marks, who had been a member of the Council of Fifty, revealed: "I was also witness of the introduction (secretly) of a kingly form of government, in which Joseph suffered himself to be ordained a king, to reign over the house of Israel forever; which I could not conceive to be in accordance with the laws of the church, but I did not oppose this move, thinking it none of my business" (Zion's Harbinger and Baneemy's Organ, St. Louis, July, 1853, p. 53).

In his master's thesis, Klaus J. Hansen tells that George Miller, who had been a member of the Council of Fifty, admitted that Joseph Smith was ordained to be a king: "Rumors implying that the Prophet assumed royal pretensions are somewhat substantiated by George Miller who stated on one occasion that 'In this council we ordained Joseph Smith as King on earth' " ("The Theory and Practice of the Political Kingdom of God in Mormon History, 1829-1890," master's thesis, BYU, 1959, typed copy, p. 114)."

Here is some commentary on Smith:

"In the Bible we read that when Stephen was stoned, he died "calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit" (Acts 7:59). When Brigham Young died, however, his last words which were distinctly understood were: "Joseph, Joseph, Joseph!" (A Comprehensive History of the Church, vol. 5, p. 509).

Mormons tend to elevate Joseph Smith almost to the same level as Jesus Christ. Mormon writer John J. Stewart surmised that Joseph Smith was "perhaps the most Christ-like man to live upon the earth since Jesus himself" (Joseph Smith—The Mormon Prophet, p. 1). It is interesting, however, to compare this with a statement attributed to Joseph Smith in the History of the Church, volume 5, page 335: "I am not so much a 'Christian' as many suppose I am. When a man undertakes to ride me for a horse, I feel disposed to kick up and throw him off, and ride him."

The following appeared in Tiffany's Monthly in 1859, p. 170:

People sometimes wonder that the Mormon can revere Joseph Smith. That they can by any means make a Saint of him. But they must remember, that the Joseph Smith preached in England, and the one shot at Carthage, Ill., are not the same. The ideal prophet differs widely from the real person. To one, ignorant of his character, he may be idealized and be made the impersonation of every virtue. He may be associated in the mind with all that is pure, true, lovely and divine. Art may make him, indeed, an object of religious veneration. But remember, the Joseph Smith thus venerated, is not the real, actual Joseph Smith ... but one that art has created."

Yes, Mormon "art" has created another "savior" they call Joseph Smith - but that Smith never existed. Smith was a bully, an egotist in love with himself, and didn't care who he had to pull down in order to get his way. He bullied those who disagreed with him, and if necessary simply excommunicated them. Oliver Cowdery being a classic example - Mormons continue the practice today.

Smith the Bully

"John D. Lee related that one day Joseph Smith and some of his men were wrestling. Because it was "the Sabbath day" Sidney Rigdon tried to break it up. Joseph Smith "dragged him from the ring, bareheaded, and tore Rigdon's fine pulpit coat from the collar to the waist; then he turned to the men and said: 'Go in, boys, and have your fun' " (Confessions of John D. Lee, pp. 76-78).

Jedediah M. Grant, a member of the First Presidency under Brigham Young, recounted a humorous incident:

I am aware that a great many have so much piety in them, that they are like the Baptist priest who came to see Joseph Smith.... and folding his arms said, "Is it possible that I now flash my optics upon a man who has conversed with my Savior?" "Yes," says the Prophet, "I don't know but you do; would not you like to wrestle with me?" That, you see, brought the priest right on to the thrashing floor, and he turned a summerset right straight. After he had whirled round a few times, like a duck shot in the head, he concluded that his piety had been awfully shocked, even to the centre, and went to the Prophet to learn why he had so shocked his piety (Journal of Discourses, vol. 3, pp. 66-67).

Benjamin F. Johnson recalled how Joseph Smith sometimes lost his temper and resorted to physical violence:

And yet, although so social and even convival [sic] at times, he would allow no arrogance or undue liberties. Criticisms, even by his associates, were rarely acceptable. Contradictions would arouse in him the lion at once. By no one of his fellows would he be superceded. In the early days at Kirtland, and elsewhere, one or another of his associates were more than once, for their impudence, helped from the congregation by his foot.... He soundly thrashed his brother William.... While with him in such fraternal, social and sometimes convivial moods, we could not then so fully realize the greatness and majesty of his calling. But since his martyrdom, it has continued to magnify in our view as the glories of this last dispensation have more fully unfolded to our comprehension (Letter by Benjamin F. Johnson, 1903, as printed in Testimony of Joseph Smith's Best Friend, pp. 4-5).

Calvin Stoddard once testified that "Smith then came up and knocked him in the forehead with his flat hand—the blow knocked him down, when Smith repeated the blow four or five times, very hard—made him blind—that Smith afterwards came to him and asked his forgiveness..." (Conflict at Kirtland, p. 132).

The real Joseph Smith is nothing like the hallucination the Mormons believe in!

source for quotes:
    http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech17.htm

Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

One of Smith's most sickening quotes: "Joseph Smith Combats Errors, Cuts Gordian Knots, God is Right Hand Man of – Mormon Quotes

History of the Church 6:78; “The whole earth shall bear me witness that I, like the towering rock in the midst of the ocean, which has withstood the mighty surges of the warring waves for centuries, am impregnable, and am a faithful friend to virtue, and a fearless foe to vice,—no odds whether the former was sold as a pearl in Asia or hid as a gem in America, and the latter dazzles in palaces or glimmers among the tombs. I combat the errors of ages; I meet the violence of mobs; I cope with illegal proceedings from executive authority; I cut the guardian knot of powers, and I solve mathematical problems of universities, with truth—diamond truth; and God is my “right hand man.”” – Nauvoo, Illinois, Nov. 13, 1843"

The only math Smith knew was multiplication - multiplying to himself wives, power, and "scriptures."

source: http://lifeafter.org/joseph-smith-co...mormon-quotes/
    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Comment

I guess Smith never read where the Bible says "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

"Fearless foe of vice"? Really? Boy, talk about an oxymoronic statement, coming from Smith!
      "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
      "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
      "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
      "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
      "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
        I guess Smith never read where the Bible says "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

"Fearless foe of vice"? Really? Boy, talk about an oxymoronic statement, coming from Smith!
        The only thing Smith feared was Emma finding out the extent of his adultery.

Wonder why no Mormon here is standing up for Joey? They always flee from facts.

Comment

Hah! Good one! It appears Smith feared EMMA more than God!
          "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
          "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
          "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

See if you can find that book, "Nauvoo Polygamy, but we called it Celestial Marriage." It's really insightful.

Comment

The OP as usual is just more of the same ole SPECIOUS AntiMormon rhetoric and claims devoid of the corroboration demanded by Bible and Christ. proving that antiMormons do not believe in the Bible or follow Christ.
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” -- George Carlin

We tolerate no one in our ranks who attacks the ideals of Christianity, our movement is Christian. - Adolf Hitler

Comment

lol... I guess she had quite a temper. Cant say that I blame her.
                ~ There is life after mormonism, and it's good! Just stay close to Christ.
                ~ You can't follow Christ and false prophets at the same time.
                ~ "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
                  [B]I seriously doubt Mormons read much actual history - either about their cult, or their founder. If they did, how can they cope with the facts? Joseph Smith was an outstanding braggart - nearly unbelievable. Here's an example of what visitors to Nauvoo wrote about him:
                  Can’t have it both ways CA... often you claim we preach, worship and study about JS more then we do Jesus Christ.... now you claim we don't.... so lets be honest... as for me I find it more constructive to read the Book of Mormon and all other scriptures including the Holy Bible then read about sketchy history.... chuckle...
                  A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards. Proverbs

Comment

Originally posted by Magdalena View Post

Yet he still went ahead and was obedient to God the Father.... Emma may have had a temper but it did not stop JS from giving us “"The new and Everlasting Covenant”".. .chuckle..
                    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards. Proverbs

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post

The only thing Smith feared was Emma finding out the extent of his adultery.

Wonder why no Mormon here is standing up for Joey? They always flee from facts.
                      Yet you will believe Emma for some things and deny others... example:

Emma Smith... interview...
                      Answer. I know Mormonism to be the truth; and believe the Church to have been established by divine direction. I have complete faith in it. In writing for your father I frequently wrote day after day, often sitting at the table close by him, he sitting with his face buried in his hat, with the stone in it, and dictating hour after hour with nothing between us.

Question. Had he not a book or manuscript from which he read, or dictated to you?

Answer. He had neither manuscript nor book to read from.

Question. Could he not have had, and you not know it?

Answer. If he had had anything of the kind he could not have concealed it from me.

Question. Are you sure that he had the plates at the time you were writing for him?

Answer. The plates often lay on the table without any attempt at concealment, wrapped in a small linen tablecloth, which I had given him to fold them in. I once felt of the plates, as they thus lay on the table, tracing their outline and shape. They seemed to be pliable like thick paper, and would rustle with a metallic sound when the edges were moved by the thumb, as one does sometimes thumb the edges of a book.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf View Post

Yet you will believe Emma for some things and deny others... example:

Sure, Ralf, she made a living off of it - first with Joe the Liar, and then with Joe's son.

Comment

I cannot blame her, either. She should have listened to her father when he opposed her marriage to Smith. It would have saved her a world of grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf View Post

Yet he still went ahead and was obedient to God the Father.... Emma may have had a temper but it did not stop JS from giving us “"The new and Everlasting Covenant”".. .chuckle..
                            That didnt come from God, ralf. Read D&C 132 again. That was Smith giving himself permission to have all the women he wanted. Thats exactly what it says.
                            ~ There is life after mormonism, and it's good! Just stay close to Christ.
                            ~ You can't follow Christ and false prophets at the same time.
                            ~ "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Comment

That didnt come from God, ralf. Read D&C 132 again. That was Smith giving himself permission to have all the women he wanted. Thats exactly what it says.
                              I think the term "giving us" the New and Everlasting Covenant is referring to all the Mormon males who look forward to having a harem of wives, as did Joey.

Comment

Working...
                              X