Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Mormons Always Seem to Have Better Answers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bonnie View Post

except many things have been found that substantiate some of the people, places, and things mentioned in the bible. The same cannot be said for the bom. Hmmmmmm.....

mormonism has nothing compared to wondrous light of the true jesus christ of the bible, for in him is no darkness at all. Mormonism is nothing but spiritual darkness.
    nhm

Comment

• Mormons Always Seem to Have Better Answers
      ...better answers than extremist antiMormons have when they are asked to defend extremist antiMormonism? Yes, that does seem to be true.

One possible reason: Logic and reason are used more by one group than by the other.
      Another possible reason: One side simply has a larger number of "good answers" to draw from, than the other side has.....
      ...whenever a person's religious conversation dwells... on the faults of other people's religions, he is in a bad condition-C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post

...better answers than extremist antiMormons have when they are asked to defend extremist antiMormonism? Yes, that does seem to be true.

One possible reason: Logic and reason are used more by one group than by the other.
        Another possible reason: One side simply has a larger number of "good answers" to draw from, than the other side has.....
        Bible and its light and knowledge companioned with even more light and knowledge... BOM, Pearl of Great Price, D&C and General Conference Talks... hmmm... a no brainier...
        A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards. Proverbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

Except many things have been found that substantiate some of the people, places, and things mentioned in the Bible. The same cannot be said for the BoM. Hmmmmmm.....

Mormonism has nothing compared to wondrous light of the true Jesus Christ of the Bible, for in Him is no darkness at all. Mormonism is nothing but spiritual darkness.

I would agree with you that People, places and things are evidenced in the Bible.... and then you say not so with the BOM... how do you know that yet... much research and archeological research is still going on in the Americans and MesoAmerica ... just because those finding have yet to be interpreted correctly has no bearing on your limited knowledge or personal research Bonnie...

You also neglect to make note of the great research done on Lehis Journey out of Jerusalem... quite a bit of evidence is correlated with the same description found in the BOM...
          A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards. Proverbs

Comment

• Originally posted by JustaLurker View Post

nhm
            No reason to believe that has anything to do with mormon mythology.

http://www.mrm.org/nhm
            ~ There is life after mormonism, and it's good! Just stay close to Christ.
            ~ You can't follow Christ and false prophets at the same time.
            ~ "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Comment

• Originally posted by Magdalena View Post

No reason to believe that has anything to do with mormon mythology.
              Under this kind of reasoning I would suppose the critic would not find any reason for any archaeological find to have anything to do with Christian mythology.. In otherwords someone here is employing DOUBLE STANDARDS.

There is plenty of reasons to believe the discovery of the NHM inscriptions relates to the Book of Mormon.. AntiMormons are just in DENIAL.

mrm is not a credible source. It's a antiMormon propaganda site.
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” -- George Carlin

We tolerate no one in our ranks who attacks the ideals of Christianity, our movement is Christian. - Adolf Hitler

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralf View Post

Again you have only evidence... but not one fact that Jesus is the Christ or that the Bible is the Word of God.... only people, places and things which are mentioned... this is not the reality everyone wants to know... Did Christ come down to this earth, take onto him the sins of the world and then seal it with His death.... no, just the words and witness that it happened... well Bonnie we also have witnesses that the Book of Mormon came from Gold Plates .... evidence versus substance... I would rather know that the message of the Book of Mormon is true and that can only come by personal revelation... something that christian will admit they don’t pray to know if the Bible is true or the Word of God... only a testimony of evidences...hmmm
                Yep, evidence! Thanks for admitting it! WE HAVE EVIDENCE. God in His wisdom and mercy gives us evidence! We believe on account of our faith but also, there is EVIDENCE to back up that faith. It isn't just faith in Jesus existing as a lonely island, in the midst of an empty sea! In other words, Christianity is based in reality, not in the fantasy concocted by an early 19th century con man.

And those "witnesses" of yours for the "golden plates" were not all they were cracked up to be....where they? Most of them left your church, or JS had a falling out with them--didn't he? In fact,if I remember right, most said they had "seen" the plates with "the eyes of faith." But someone else who knows more about this than I do can give more of the details.

And what the Bible teaches--that we are sinners in need of redemption and we cannot save ourselves--isn't what "everyone wants to know", but what everyone NEEDS TO KNOW. And what they really need to know is that there is ONLY ONE WAY to be saved to heaven for all eternity--and that is by believing in Jesus Christ as Lord and God and Savior and trusting in Him only to be saved. Instead of distrusting that Jesus did all that was necessary to save us, and adding our own imperfect works into the bargain. Because the bottom line IS--Mormons don't truly trust Jesus completely, to save them to heaven, after they die. No, they must add their own imperfect works--like temple works--into the mixture. But DO Show us from the Bible where God commanded the building of dozens of expensive temples and doing all of those temple ordinances within them--like the endowment ceremony--and secret handshakes and tokens and wearing temple garments with Masonic symbols on them for the rest of one's life...please show me from the Bible, especially from the NT--where God commanded these things.

And we don't have to pray to know that the BoM is true of false--we merely have to compare it and what else Mormonism teaches in its other "Scriptures" with what the Bible has already revealed to us--and we can clearly see that what Mormonism teaches is false, false, false! We can plainly see that it has another god, another gospel--which can save no one--and another savior, who can save no one. It has replaced a personal relationship with the true Jesus Christ of the Bible with a works righteous treadmill going nowhere, with its temple ordinances--dead works done to a non-existent god, in whitewashed tombs.

Mormonism rests upon Joseph Smith and his life. Christianity rests upon Jesus Christ and what He did for us on the cross and did completely and perfectly. I will put my trust and faith in Him, rather than in a lying, scrying false prophet like JS, jr.
                Last edited by Bonnie; 04-29-18, 01:28 PM.
                "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
                "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by oceancoast View Post
                  Under this kind of reasoning I would suppose the critic would not find any reason for any archaeological find to have anything to do with Christian mythology.. In otherwords someone here is employing DOUBLE STANDARDS.

There is plenty of reasons to believe the discovery of the NHM inscriptions relates to the Book of Mormon.. AntiMormons are just in DENIAL.

mrm is not a credible source. It's a antiMormon propaganda site.
                  Well, then, the Ensign is not a credible source since it is pro-Mormon and will print mostly stuff favorable to the LDS church. IN face, one could say that of the LDS church, as well.

No, there aren't plenty of reasons to believe the discovery of the NHM inscription relates to the Book of Mormon. Mormons are just in denial:

http://www.mrm.org/finding-nahom-the...book-of-mormon

In fact, the location of Nahom has not been archaeologically confirmed. In his short discussion of this, evangelical author and professor Philip Jenkins explains,
                  “When you actually look at the vaunted clincher evidence about Nahom, and understand how tenuous the alleged connections are, your response should properly be: when you get there, there’s no ‘there’ there.

“Just what exactly was found? Smith refers to a place called Nahom. The altar inscriptions, on the other hand, refer to a people or tribe. As a sober account in the Journal of Book of Mormon Studies notes, one text commemorates Bi’athar, son of Sawdum, son of Naw’um, the Nihmite. Based on extensive analogies, that last name should refer to a family title, like Benjaminite, with no necessary suggestion that the ancestral family was linked to the burial site. Usually, such tribes did not construct places bearing their names, but that’s not an absolute.

“And that’s it? THAT ‘is the First Verifiable Book of Mormon Site’?

“To give the authors credit, they honestly cite the inscription word as Nihmite, without pretending it was ‘really’ Nahom. Yet despite this precise quotation, the story morphs and expands in popular retelling, until it becomes something like ‘The Book of Mormon describes a place in Arabia called Nahom. And now scientists have discovered inscriptions using the same name at that very place! Whoa!’ For Mormons, as for many other religious denominations, the Internet has vastly accelerated that process of folk-tale evolution, fueled by wishful thinking.”
                  Indeed. And wishful thinking it is. A place called Nahom has not been found. Period.

These are the facts that are actually known: A stone altar was found in Yemen that includes an inscription of NHM in Ancient South Arabian Script. The South Arabian language root NHM has to do with stone cutting. The stone’s inscription dates to the late 6th or 5th century BC. and refers to a tribal name. The stone’s proximity to any Book of Mormon site is unknowable because no Book of Mormon site has ever been found.
                  Last edited by Bonnie; 04-29-18, 01:22 PM.
                  "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                  "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                  "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Bible and its light and knowledge companioned with even more light and knowledge... BOM, Pearl of Great Price, D&C and General Conference Talks... hmmm... a no brainier...
                    The BOM,Pearl, and, D AND C, and GCs do not bring more light and knowledge, but spiritual darkness and lies. We do not need "another testament" to Jesus Christ. Especially a phony one.

I will stick with the Bible. Yep, a "no-brainer".

Comment

• Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post

OR rather, one side THINKS it has better answers and more "logic" to draw from, but when confronted by true Biblical teachings about the true Jesus Christ of the Bible--the one Who is eternal and NOT the spirit brother of Satan in the supposed pre-mortal, spirit existence--and the true Gospel message of the Good News of Jesus Christ--not works righteous treadmills of empty temple works--then such boasting is shown to be empty and blind.

But what are we to boast about? This:

12 (NIV 2 Cor. 10)We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. 13 We, however, will not boast beyond proper limits, but will confine our boasting to the sphere of service God himself has assigned to us, a sphere that also includes you. 14 We are not going too far in our boasting, as would be the case if we had not come to you, for we did get as far as you with the gospel of Christ. 15 Neither do we go beyond our limits by boasting of work done by others. Our hope is that, as your faith continues to grow, our sphere of activity among you will greatly expand,16 so that we can preach the gospel in the regions beyond you. For we do not want to boast about work already done in someone else’s territory.17 But, “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”[b] 18 For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.
                      The true Jesus Christ of the Bible does NOT commend Mormonism and its many false teachings!

And

Galatians 6:14 New International Version (NIV)

14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
                      Mormon boasting is empty and worthless. They only THINK they give "better answers." But God would disagree with them, for they defend a false lying prophet, and a false gospel, and false and phony priesthoods. Nothing to boast about at all!

Comment

Well, then, the Ensign is not a credible source since it is pro-Mormon and will print mostly stuff favorable to the LDS church. IN face, one could say that of the LDS church, as well.
                        Of course the Ensign is pro-Mormon.. It's an LDS publication so naturally it's pro-Mormon. Who's bringing up the Ensign?

No, there aren't plenty of reasons to believe the discovery of the NHM inscription relates to the Book of Mormon. Mormons are just in denial:
                        FALSE.

MRM is not a scholarly or credible source, so why are you continuing to promote that antiMormon GARBAGE.. oh wait, that's what antiMormons love. False , nonsensical GARBAGE..

But the reference to the mrm demonstates a much large more significant issue with AntiMormons.. and that is HYPOCRITICAL DOUBLE STANDARDS.. For the very argument expressed by them against such evidence supporting the Book of Mormon, if they were CONSISTENT and HONEST in applying those standards, they would have to admit there NO Archaeological Evidence supporting the any thing unique about the Bible Narrative. PERIOD.. NONE.

but they alas they are not consistent or honest in their application of reasoning.. They hold one loose standard for their own beliefs.. and a very different, almost impossible standard for the BoM.. that's called HYPOCRISY.. and Jesus hated hypocrites.. Enough said.
                        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” -- George Carlin

We tolerate no one in our ranks who attacks the ideals of Christianity, our movement is Christian. - Adolf Hitler

Comment

• The true Jesus Christ of the Bible does NOT commend extremist antiMormonism to make their religious conversations consist of mocking and attacking other people's beliefs. Extremist antiMormonism boasting is empty and worthless. They only THINK they give "better answers." But God would disagree with them, for they defend a lying false gospel, and false and phony soteriology. Nothing to boast about at all!
                          ...whenever a person's religious conversation dwells... on the faults of other people's religions, he is in a bad condition-C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Originally posted by oceancoast View Post
                            Of course the Ensign is pro-Mormon.. It's an LDS publication so naturally it's pro-Mormon. Who's bringing up the Ensign?

FALSE.

MRM is not a scholarly or credible source, so why are you continuing to promote that antiMormon GARBAGE.. oh wait, that's what antiMormons love. False , nonsensical GARBAGE..

But the reference to the mrm demonstates a much large more significant issue with AntiMormons.. and that is HYPOCRITICAL DOUBLE STANDARDS.. For the very argument expressed by them against such evidence supporting the Book of Mormon, if they were CONSISTENT and HONEST in applying those standards, they would have to admit there NO Archaeological Evidence supporting the any thing unique about the Bible Narrative. PERIOD.. NONE.

but they alas they are not consistent or honest in their application of reasoning.. They hold one loose standard for their own beliefs.. and a very different, almost impossible standard for the BoM.. that's called HYPOCRISY.. and Jesus hated hypocrites.. Enough said.
                            The link from MRM quotes from the Enseign magazine, which extolled the "finding." .

And to most Mormons, anything that puts their church or leadership in a bad light is "an ti Mormon garbage." Most of this rant is just a diversionary tactic to cast aspersion against the mrm website and the article, to avoid dealing with what was written in it.

Comment

The BOM,Pearl, and, D AND C, and GCs do not bring more light and knowledge, but spiritual darkness and lies. We do not need "another testament" to Jesus Christ. Especially a phony one.

I will stick with the Bible. Yep, a "no-brainer".
                              Tell that to the millions of converts since JS founded the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ... one of the fastest growing churches around.. .note for Bonnie... I did not claim the fastest growing church in case you want to take me to task... and bring up Moslems and some other religion... chuckle. But what I would add.. the fastest growing in the shortest amount of time.... less then a million when I joined and now 15 million strong... whoops, now that is growth... where in the millennials are fleeing christendom in huge numbers.

Comment

Tell that to the millions of converts since JS founded the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ... one of the fastest growing churches around.. .note for Bonnie... I did not claim the fastest growing church in case you want to take me to task... and bring up Moslems and some other religion... chuckle. But what I would add.. the fastest growing in the shortest amount of time.... less then a million when I joined and now 15 million strong... whoops, now that is growth... where in the millennials are fleeing christendom in huge numbers.
                                Boasting again, Ralf? Sorry--<<chuckle, chuckle>>-- but fastest growing in the shortest amount of time is STILL no indicator that a religion is in the truth. And that "15 million strong" is nothing to boast about...it means 15 million people have been duped and lied to, to believe in a false prophet, a false god, a false gospel, and especially, in a false savior, which can save no one. That is something to mourn about, not boast about.

But I fully expect more and more people to leave churches that teach the truth for churches like yours, that make people think they can help "save" themselves, instead of admitting they are totally helpless to do so and must rely totally on Jesus Christ to save them. People find being able to do something to save themselves far more attractive than swallowing their pride and admitting that they are totally helpless to save themselves.

Mormonism is a fulfillment of what Paul wrote here:

2 Timothy 4:3-4 English Standard Version (ESV)

3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
                                That is what has happened in Mormonism. People prefer its "myths" to the truth.
                                Last edited by Bonnie; 04-30-18, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X