Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

The Shifting Sands of Mormon Heresies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shifting Sands of Mormon Heresies

Joseph Smith invented Mormonism, using the template of Spalding's fictional story, adding Rigdon's "restoration" doctrines, and his own wild imaginings about gods. The LDS cult is fraught with heresies, and through the years Mormons have struggled to deal with them and still remain faithful to their founding prophet, Smith. The Community of Christ, however, doesn't seem to have this same attachment to Smith and moves more and more in the direction of Christianity.

Let's look at some of the worst Mormon heresies and how they have "shifted" as does sand over the years:

Adam God:

"How much unbelief exists in the minds of the Latter-day Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which I revealed to them, and which God revealed to me - namely that Adam is our Father and God…Our Father Adam helped to make this earth, it was created expressly for him. He brought one of his wives with him. Who is he? He is Michael…He was the first man on the earth, and its framer and maker. He with the help of his brethren brought it into existence. Then he said: 'I want my children that were born to me in the spirit world to come here and take tabernacles of flesh that their spirits may have a house, a tabernacle, or a dwelling place as mine has' and where is the mystery?" (Brigham Young, Deseret News, June 18, 1873)
    "When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. And who is the Father? He is the first of the human family…I could tell you much more about this; but were I to tell you the whole truth, blasphemy would be nothing to it, in the estimation of the superstitious and over-righteous of mankind. However, I have told you the truth as far as I have gone.... Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven. Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause before they make light of them, or treat them with indifference, for they will prove their salvation or damnation." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, pp. 50-51, Brigham Young supposed "prophet")
    Letter from Bruce McConkie, Mormon Apostle, denying Adam was ever God: ""Yes, President Young did teach that Adam was the father of our spirits, and all the related things that the cultists ascribe to him. This [i.e., Brigham Young's teaching on Adam], however, is not true. He expressed views that are out of harmony with the gospel." (p. 6 of McConkie's letter)"

Some Mormon writings deny (as they are prone to do) that the transcription of Young's sermons were accurate. That's simply bologna. Young taught Adam was God for 25 years.

As Man Is, God Once Was:
    "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted Man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens. That is the great secret…It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God and to know…that he was once a man like us… Here, then, is eternal life - to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves…the same as all Gods have done before you…" ("King Follett Discourse," Journal of Discourses 6:3-4, also in Teachings of The Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 342-345)
    "God is an exalted man. Some people are troubled over the statements of the Prophet Joseph Smith…that our Father in heaven at one time passed through a life and death and is an exalted man…" (Doctrines of Salvation 1:10, Joseph Fielding Smith, Mormon "prophet.")
    "…it is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God and to know…that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did." (Joseph Smith, Teachings of The Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345)

Interview with false Mormon "prophet" Hinckley regarding whether or not Mormon god was once a man:

"Q: There are some significant differences in your beliefs [and other Christian churches]. For instance, don't Mormons believe that God was once a man?

"Hinckley: I wouldn't say that. There was a little couplet coined, "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." Now that's more of a couplet than anything else. That gets into some pretty deep theology that we don't know very much about.

"Q: So you're saying the church is still struggling to understand this?

"Hinckley: Well, as God is, man may become. We believe in eternal progression. Very strongly. We believe that the glory of God is intelligence and whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the Resurrection. ...that's one thing that's different. Modern revelation. We believe all that God has revealed, all that he does now reveal, we believe he has yet to reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God." (San Francisco Chronicle, April 13, 1997, p. 3/Z1) (Notice how Hinckley left out the belief that God was once a man - he simply affirms that Mormons may become "like" their god).

To be continued
    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Blacks in the supposed Mormon priesthood. This has appeared many times, and the Mormon cult has now disowned the original teachings which denigrated blacks. However, how do they explain that their founding prophet, Joseph Smith, stated:
    Having learned with extreme regret, that an article entitled, 'Free People of Color,' in the last number of the Star has been misunderstood, we feel in duty bound to state, in this Extra, that our intention was not only to stop free people of color from emigrating to this state, but to prevent them from being admitted as members of the Church.
    History of the Church, 1:378-79
    Had I anything to do with the negro, I would confine them by strict law to their own species and put them on a national equalization.
    History of the Church, Vol. 5, 218-19

Interesting that Smith didn't even consider blacks to be of the same "species" as whites!

Brigham Young, the cult's second false prophet taught:

"Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so."

I wonder how many blacks bamboozled into joining the Mormon cult are really familiar with these teachings? How about those black children adopted by white Mormons? Are their adoptive parents honest with them about the racist nature of early Mormonism? Do the parents disclose the following foul things said about blacks by a Mormon prophet?:
    You see some classes of the human family that are black, uncouth, un- comely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild, and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind. The first man that committed the odious crime of killing one of his brethren will be cursed the longest of any one of the children of Adam. Cain slew his brother. Cain might have been killed, and that would have put a termination to that line of human beings. This was not to be, and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin. Trace mankind down to after the flood, and then another curse is pronounced upon the same race - that they should be the "servant of servants;" and they will be, until that curse is removed; and the Abolitionists cannot help it, nor in the least alter that decree. How long is that race to endure the dreadful curse that is upon them? That curse will remain upon them, [p.291] and they never can hold the Priesthood or share in it until all the other descendants of Adam have received the promises and enjoyed the blessings of the Priesthood and the keys thereof. Until the last ones of the residue of Adam's children are brought up to that favourable position, the children of Cain cannot receive the first ordinances of the Priesthood. They were the first that were cursed, and they will be the last from whom the curse will be removed. When the residue of the family of Adam come up and receive their blessings, then the curse will be removed from the seed of Cain, and they will receive blessings in like proportion.
    Journal of Discourses 7, 290-91 (October 9, 1859, Brigham Young)

Are black Mormons aware of this statement by Youing?:
    You may inquire of the intelligent of the world whether they can tell why the aborigines of this country are dark, loathsome, ignorant, and sunken into the depths of degradation ...When the Lord has a people, he makes covenants with them and gives unto them promises: then, if they transgress his law, change his ordinances, and break his covenants he has made with them, he will put a mark upon them, as in the case of the Lamanites and other portions of the house of Israel; but by-and-by they will become a white and delightsome people
    Journal of Discourses 7:336. (PDF file)

Yeah, that gives a new meaning to the hymn "in the sweet by and by."

And John Taylor, who was with Smith when he didn't fly over his enemies, agreed with Young. Taylor was also a supposed "prophet:"
    And after the flood we are told that the curse that had been pronounced upon Cain was continued through Ham's wife, as he had married a wife of that seed. And why did it pass through the flood? because it was necessary that the devil should have a representation upon the earth as well as God…
    Journal of Discourses, 22:304. (PDF file)
    Why is it, in fact, that we should have a devil? Why did the Lord not kill him long ago? Because he could not do without him. He needed the devil and a great many of those who do his bidding to keep men straight, that we may learn to place our dependence on God, and trust in Him, and to observe his laws and keep his commandments. When he destroyed the inhabitants of the antediluvian world, he suffered a descendant of Cain to come through the flood in order that he might be properly represented upon the earth.
    Journal of Discourses, 23:336

And yet another Mormon false prophet, Wilford Woodruff:
    And if any man mingle his seed with the seed of Cain the only way he could get rid of it or have Salvation would be to come forward and have his head cut off and spill his blood upon the ground- it would also take the life of his children.
    Wilford Woodruff Journal

Cute!

Moving on to more modern false prophets, here we have Spencer Kimball's remarks:
    The day of the Lamanites is nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised. In this picture of the twenty Lamanite missionaries, fifteen of the twenty were as light as Anglos; five were darker but equally delightsome. The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation.

At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl—sixteen—sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents—on the same reservation, in the same hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather. There was the doctor in a Utah city who for two years had had an Indian boy in his home who stated that he was some shades lighter than the younger brother just coming into the program from the reservation. These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness.
    The Improvement Era, December 190, pg. 923

False Mormon Apostle, George F. Richards (spoken in conference)
    "The negro is an unfortunate man. He has been given a black skin.

But that is as nothing compared with that greater handicap that he is not permitted to receive the Priesthood and the ordinances of the temple, necessary to prepare men and women to enter into and enjoy a fulness of glory in the celestial kingdom.

What is the reason for this condition, we ask, and I find it to my satisfaction to think that as spirit children of our Eternal Father they were not valiant in the fight. We are told that Michael and his angels fought, and we understand that we stood with Christ our Lord, on the platform, "Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever." I cannot conceive our Father consigning his children to a condition such as that of the negro race, if they had been valiant in the spirit world in that war in heaven. Neither could they have been a part of those who rebelled and were cast down, for the latter had not the privilege of tabernacling in the flesh. Somewhere along the line were these spirits, indifferent perhaps, and possibly neutral in the war. We have no definite knowledge concerning this. But I learn this lesson from it, brethren and sisters, and I believe we all should, that it does not pay in religious matters, matters that pertain to our eternal salvation, to be indifferent, neutral, or lukewarm "

Conference Reports, April 1939, Second Day-Morning Meeting: Elder George F. Richards, PP 58-59

Moving on to Modern False prophet of Mormonism, Hinckley:
    From the Australian Broadcasting Company Sunday night television show COMPASS:
    COMPASS:: So in retrospect was the Church wrong in that [denying blacks the priesthood]?

HINCKLEY: No I don't think it was wrong. It, things, various things happened in different periods. There's a reason for them.

COMPASS: What was the reason for that?

HINCKLEY: I don't know what the reason was.

COMPASS: Is it a problem for the Church that it is still..has a tag of being racist?

HINCKLEY: No, I don't think so. I don't see that anymore.

From Gordon B. Hinckley's interview with Mike Wallace on 60 Minutes:
    Mike Wallace: From 1830 to 1978, blacks could not become priests in the Mormon church. Right?

Gordon B. Hinckley: That's correct.

Mike Wallace: Why?

Gordon B. Hinckley: Because the leaders of the church at that time interpreted that doctrine that way. [cut]

Mike Wallace: Church policy had it that blacks had the mark of Cain. Brigham Young said, "Cain slew his brother, and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin."

Gordon B. Hinckley: It's behind us. Look, that's behind us. Don't worry about those little flecks of history.

Mike Wallace: Skeptics will suggest, "Well, look, if we're going to expand, we can't keep the blacks out."

Gordon B. Hinckley: Pure speculation. [Laughs.]
    The "60 Minutes" program on the LDS Church Broadcast on CBS TV, April 7, 1996

(So, old Gordon laughs as this "little fleck" of Mormon history where those mixing their "seed" with blacks were to be killed. How disgusting.)

Today's Mormons like to think that their racist Mormon leaders never existed:

From Ensign article, September 2000 by General Authority Alexander Morrison:
    "Unfortunately, racism-the abhorrent and morally destructive theory that claims superiority of one person over another by reason of race, color, ethnicity, or cultural background-remains one of the abiding sins of societies the world over. The cause of much of the strife and conflict in the world, racism is an offense against God and a tool in the devil's hands. In common with other Christians, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints regret the actions and statements of individuals who have been insensitive to the pain suffered by the victims of racism and ask God's forgiveness for those guilty of this grievous sin. The sin of racism will be eliminated only when every human being treats all others with the dignity and respect each deserves as a beloved child of our Heavenly Father.

"How grateful I am that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has from its beginnings stood strongly against racism in any of its malignant manifestations."
    Mormons are either clueless about their own history or are LYING FOR THEIR MAN-GOD.
    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
      Joseph Smith invented Mormonism, using the template of Spalding's fictional story, adding Rigdon's "restoration" doctrines, and his own wild imaginings about gods. The LDS cult is fraught with heresies, and through the years Mormons have struggled to deal with them and still remain faithful to their founding prophet, Smith. The Community of Christ, however, doesn't seem to have this same attachment to Smith and moves more and more in the direction of Christianity.

Let's look at some of the worst Mormon heresies and how they have "shifted" as does sand over the years:

Adam God:

"How much unbelief exists in the minds of the Latter-day Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which I revealed to them, and which God revealed to me - namely that Adam is our Father and God…Our Father Adam helped to make this earth, it was created expressly for him. He brought one of his wives with him. Who is he? He is Michael…He was the first man on the earth, and its framer and maker. He with the help of his brethren brought it into existence. Then he said: 'I want my children that were born to me in the spirit world to come here and take tabernacles of flesh that their spirits may have a house, a tabernacle, or a dwelling place as mine has' and where is the mystery?" (Brigham Young, Deseret News, June 18, 1873)
      "When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. And who is the Father? He is the first of the human family…I could tell you much more about this; but were I to tell you the whole truth, blasphemy would be nothing to it, in the estimation of the superstitious and over-righteous of mankind. However, I have told you the truth as far as I have gone.... Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven. Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause before they make light of them, or treat them with indifference, for they will prove their salvation or damnation." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, pp. 50-51, Brigham Young supposed "prophet")
      Letter from Bruce McConkie, Mormon Apostle, denying Adam was ever God: ""Yes, President Young did teach that Adam was the father of our spirits, and all the related things that the cultists ascribe to him. This [i.e., Brigham Young's teaching on Adam], however, is not true. He expressed views that are out of harmony with the gospel." (p. 6 of McConkie's letter)"

Some Mormon writings deny (as they are prone to do) that the transcription of Young's sermons were accurate. That's simply bologna. Young taught Adam was God for 25 years.

As Man Is, God Once Was:
      "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted Man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens. That is the great secret…It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God and to know…that he was once a man like us… Here, then, is eternal life - to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves…the same as all Gods have done before you…" ("King Follett Discourse," Journal of Discourses 6:3-4, also in Teachings of The Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 342-345)
      "God is an exalted man. Some people are troubled over the statements of the Prophet Joseph Smith…that our Father in heaven at one time passed through a life and death and is an exalted man…" (Doctrines of Salvation 1:10, Joseph Fielding Smith, Mormon "prophet.")
      "…it is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God and to know…that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did." (Joseph Smith, Teachings of The Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345)

Interview with false Mormon "prophet" Hinckley regarding whether or not Mormon god was once a man:

"Q: There are some significant differences in your beliefs [and other Christian churches]. For instance, don't Mormons believe that God was once a man?

"Hinckley: I wouldn't say that. There was a little couplet coined, "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." Now that's more of a couplet than anything else. That gets into some pretty deep theology that we don't know very much about.

"Q: So you're saying the church is still struggling to understand this?

"Hinckley: Well, as God is, man may become. We believe in eternal progression. Very strongly. We believe that the glory of God is intelligence and whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the Resurrection. ...that's one thing that's different. Modern revelation. We believe all that God has revealed, all that he does now reveal, we believe he has yet to reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God." (San Francisco Chronicle, April 13, 1997, p. 3/Z1) (Notice how Hinckley left out the belief that God was once a man - he simply affirms that Mormons may become "like" their god).

To be continued
      Not sure what your point is, if you want to make lists comparing church leadership and the statements each have made over time, I can get started on an evangelical leader list.

Or if you are just trying to have a list trying to show “lds prophets say the darndest things”

if if it’s the latter, then that’s fine, yes, lds prophets have said controversial, or contradictory things in the past. They could also be wrong, or corrected later by other prophets.

There are many examples of LDS prophets saying things that were later corrected. Often the same brother, or a contemporary does the correcting. Eg Mckonkie correcting himself on the speculative reasons for the priesthood ban.

If it is the prior, then please let me know what evangelical or Calvary chapel leader you’d like to have examined. That conversation ends with both of us appealing to scripture and or current prophet, as the final authority anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
        Blacks in the supposed Mormon priesthood. This has appeared many times, and the Mormon cult has now disowned the original teachings which denigrated blacks. However, how do they explain that their founding prophet, Joseph Smith, stated:
        Having learned with extreme regret, that an article entitled, 'Free People of Color,' in the last number of the Star has been misunderstood, we feel in duty bound to state, in this Extra, that our intention was not only to stop free people of color from emigrating to this state, but to prevent them from being admitted as members of the Church.
        History of the Church, 1:378-79
        Had I anything to do with the negro, I would confine them by strict law to their own species and put them on a national equalization.
        History of the Church, Vol. 5, 218-19

Interesting that Smith didn't even consider blacks to be of the same "species" as whites!

Brigham Young, the cult's second false prophet taught:

"Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so."

I wonder how many blacks bamboozled into joining the Mormon cult are really familiar with these teachings? How about those black children adopted by white Mormons? Are their adoptive parents honest with them about the racist nature of early Mormonism? Do the parents disclose the following foul things said about blacks by a Mormon prophet?:
        You see some classes of the human family that are black, uncouth, un- comely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild, and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind. The first man that committed the odious crime of killing one of his brethren will be cursed the longest of any one of the children of Adam. Cain slew his brother. Cain might have been killed, and that would have put a termination to that line of human beings. This was not to be, and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin. Trace mankind down to after the flood, and then another curse is pronounced upon the same race - that they should be the "servant of servants;" and they will be, until that curse is removed; and the Abolitionists cannot help it, nor in the least alter that decree. How long is that race to endure the dreadful curse that is upon them? That curse will remain upon them, [p.291] and they never can hold the Priesthood or share in it until all the other descendants of Adam have received the promises and enjoyed the blessings of the Priesthood and the keys thereof. Until the last ones of the residue of Adam's children are brought up to that favourable position, the children of Cain cannot receive the first ordinances of the Priesthood. They were the first that were cursed, and they will be the last from whom the curse will be removed. When the residue of the family of Adam come up and receive their blessings, then the curse will be removed from the seed of Cain, and they will receive blessings in like proportion.
        Journal of Discourses 7, 290-91 (October 9, 1859, Brigham Young)

Are black Mormons aware of this statement by Youing?:
        You may inquire of the intelligent of the world whether they can tell why the aborigines of this country are dark, loathsome, ignorant, and sunken into the depths of degradation ...When the Lord has a people, he makes covenants with them and gives unto them promises: then, if they transgress his law, change his ordinances, and break his covenants he has made with them, he will put a mark upon them, as in the case of the Lamanites and other portions of the house of Israel; but by-and-by they will become a white and delightsome people
        Journal of Discourses 7:336. (PDF file)

Yeah, that gives a new meaning to the hymn "in the sweet by and by."

And John Taylor, who was with Smith when he didn't fly over his enemies, agreed with Young. Taylor was also a supposed "prophet:"
        And after the flood we are told that the curse that had been pronounced upon Cain was continued through Ham's wife, as he had married a wife of that seed. And why did it pass through the flood? because it was necessary that the devil should have a representation upon the earth as well as God…
        Journal of Discourses, 22:304. (PDF file)
        Why is it, in fact, that we should have a devil? Why did the Lord not kill him long ago? Because he could not do without him. He needed the devil and a great many of those who do his bidding to keep men straight, that we may learn to place our dependence on God, and trust in Him, and to observe his laws and keep his commandments. When he destroyed the inhabitants of the antediluvian world, he suffered a descendant of Cain to come through the flood in order that he might be properly represented upon the earth.
        Journal of Discourses, 23:336

And yet another Mormon false prophet, Wilford Woodruff:
        And if any man mingle his seed with the seed of Cain the only way he could get rid of it or have Salvation would be to come forward and have his head cut off and spill his blood upon the ground- it would also take the life of his children.
        Wilford Woodruff Journal

Cute!

Moving on to more modern false prophets, here we have Spencer Kimball's remarks:
        The day of the Lamanites is nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised. In this picture of the twenty Lamanite missionaries, fifteen of the twenty were as light as Anglos; five were darker but equally delightsome. The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation.

At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl—sixteen—sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents—on the same reservation, in the same hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather. There was the doctor in a Utah city who for two years had had an Indian boy in his home who stated that he was some shades lighter than the younger brother just coming into the program from the reservation. These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness.
        The Improvement Era, December 190, pg. 923

False Mormon Apostle, George F. Richards (spoken in conference)
        "The negro is an unfortunate man. He has been given a black skin.

But that is as nothing compared with that greater handicap that he is not permitted to receive the Priesthood and the ordinances of the temple, necessary to prepare men and women to enter into and enjoy a fulness of glory in the celestial kingdom.

What is the reason for this condition, we ask, and I find it to my satisfaction to think that as spirit children of our Eternal Father they were not valiant in the fight. We are told that Michael and his angels fought, and we understand that we stood with Christ our Lord, on the platform, "Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever." I cannot conceive our Father consigning his children to a condition such as that of the negro race, if they had been valiant in the spirit world in that war in heaven. Neither could they have been a part of those who rebelled and were cast down, for the latter had not the privilege of tabernacling in the flesh. Somewhere along the line were these spirits, indifferent perhaps, and possibly neutral in the war. We have no definite knowledge concerning this. But I learn this lesson from it, brethren and sisters, and I believe we all should, that it does not pay in religious matters, matters that pertain to our eternal salvation, to be indifferent, neutral, or lukewarm "

Conference Reports, April 1939, Second Day-Morning Meeting: Elder George F. Richards, PP 58-59

Moving on to Modern False prophet of Mormonism, Hinckley:
        From the Australian Broadcasting Company Sunday night television show COMPASS:
        COMPASS:: So in retrospect was the Church wrong in that [denying blacks the priesthood]?

HINCKLEY: No I don't think it was wrong. It, things, various things happened in different periods. There's a reason for them.

COMPASS: What was the reason for that?

HINCKLEY: I don't know what the reason was.

COMPASS: Is it a problem for the Church that it is still..has a tag of being racist?

HINCKLEY: No, I don't think so. I don't see that anymore.

From Gordon B. Hinckley's interview with Mike Wallace on 60 Minutes:
        Mike Wallace: From 1830 to 1978, blacks could not become priests in the Mormon church. Right?

Gordon B. Hinckley: That's correct.

Mike Wallace: Why?

Gordon B. Hinckley: Because the leaders of the church at that time interpreted that doctrine that way. [cut]

Mike Wallace: Church policy had it that blacks had the mark of Cain. Brigham Young said, "Cain slew his brother, and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin."

Gordon B. Hinckley: It's behind us. Look, that's behind us. Don't worry about those little flecks of history.

Mike Wallace: Skeptics will suggest, "Well, look, if we're going to expand, we can't keep the blacks out."

Gordon B. Hinckley: Pure speculation. [Laughs.]
        The "60 Minutes" program on the LDS Church Broadcast on CBS TV, April 7, 1996

(So, old Gordon laughs as this "little fleck" of Mormon history where those mixing their "seed" with blacks were to be killed. How disgusting.)

Today's Mormons like to think that their racist Mormon leaders never existed:

From Ensign article, September 2000 by General Authority Alexander Morrison:
        "Unfortunately, racism-the abhorrent and morally destructive theory that claims superiority of one person over another by reason of race, color, ethnicity, or cultural background-remains one of the abiding sins of societies the world over. The cause of much of the strife and conflict in the world, racism is an offense against God and a tool in the devil's hands. In common with other Christians, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints regret the actions and statements of individuals who have been insensitive to the pain suffered by the victims of racism and ask God's forgiveness for those guilty of this grievous sin. The sin of racism will be eliminated only when every human being treats all others with the dignity and respect each deserves as a beloved child of our Heavenly Father.

"How grateful I am that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has from its beginnings stood strongly against racism in any of its malignant manifestations."
        Mormons are either clueless about their own history or are LYING FOR THEIR MAN-GOD.
        Racism is still rampant in the United States. Here, in Alabama, the KKK still lives, and still spreads it's filth...
        it is changing...but change is slow.

Honestly, Christianity has been around for over 2000 years...
        I think we have forgotten the horror of crucifixion.

This is one thing that even some Christians have been guilty of...and, in places like Alabama, where I live, still are.

Disgusting? Yes...incredibly, horribly, terribly disgusting. It is something we should all be ashamed of. All the same, there are streets in this small town where I live where a white person would not be safe walking alone at night...
        And, as much as I hate to admit it, the same applies to black folks.

How it must break the great heart of God, to hear someone who has claimed to love Him to talk about hanging nig***s...

It makes me weep...how much more does the Son of God mourn??
        God Who was made flesh for me and nailed upon a lonely tree
        What gift can I bring that would suffice to repay such great sacrifice?
        All that I am I lay at Your throne. Make me, Lord, Your very Own.

Comment

This video sort of touches on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ_kJDkIvi8

Part 2 is also available.
          Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 05-14-18, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X