Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

How Many Mormons Just "Go Along to Get Along?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How Many Mormons Just "Go Along to Get Along?"

    Most people can't "turn" off critical thinking to the extent we see it here among Mormons. Sure, there are some Mormons here who are so committed to the cult that they refuse to read any links or look at any videos that Christians put here since they are afraid of allowing "the enemy" (Christians) to get a hold of them in any way. But there are others, too, who may be willing to examine what the "other side" has to offer - although they are probably in the minority. In the back of their minds, however, there might be a particle of doubt......."why would Moroni come down and swoop the plates away?" "Exactly why did Smith begin translating the Kinderhook plates, and why doesn't the Book of Abraham match anything at all written on the papyrus?" "Shouldn't there be some evidence of the vast civilizations spoken of in the Book of Mormon?" "Why would God make it a test of faith for Mormons to believe the book minus any archaeological evidence?.............after all, he didn't do that with the Bible?" "Why was Joseph Smith in the barn with Fanny Alger long before his supposed revelation that polygamy was okay?" "Exactly why did Joseph Smith invite young girls into his home and then tell them he wanted to marry them?" "If the Church is really led by prophets and apostles, why don't they do anything supernatural at all?" "And why does the Church teach there are many Gods when the Bible explicitly teaches there is ONLY One?" "Does Kolob exist, and does it give the Sun its light?"

    Yeah, those little nagging doubts can be a real problem for cultists. I think they may be a problem for Mormons here.....however, they'll never admit it in front of the "watchmen" who monitor them here.

    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

  • #2
    Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
    Most people can't "turn" off critical thinking to the extent we see it here among Mormons. Sure, there are some Mormons here who are so committed to the cult that they refuse to read any links or look at any videos that Christians put here since they are afraid of allowing "the enemy" (Christians) to get a hold of them in any way. But there are others, too, who may be willing to examine what the "other side" has to offer - although they are probably in the minority. In the back of their minds, however, there might be a particle of doubt......."why would Moroni come down and swoop the plates away?" "Exactly why did Smith begin translating the Kinderhook plates, and why doesn't the Book of Abraham match anything at all written on the papyrus?" "Shouldn't there be some evidence of the vast civilizations spoken of in the Book of Mormon?" "Why would God make it a test of faith for Mormons to believe the book minus any archaeological evidence?.............after all, he didn't do that with the Bible?" "Why was Joseph Smith in the barn with Fanny Alger long before his supposed revelation that polygamy was okay?" "Exactly why did Joseph Smith invite young girls into his home and then tell them he wanted to marry them?" "If the Church is really led by prophets and apostles, why don't they do anything supernatural at all?" "And why does the Church teach there are many Gods when the Bible explicitly teaches there is ONLY One?" "Does Kolob exist, and does it give the Sun its light?"

    Yeah, those little nagging doubts can be a real problem for cultists. I think they may be a problem for Mormons here.....however, they'll never admit it in front of the "watchmen" who monitor them here.
    Watchmen??? Whaaaat?

    You think your posts and conversations are so important that the leadership of our church cares what you write and how I may respond to them?

    that’s awesome, and shows the state of mind of the OP.

    No. SLC has no watchmen here at CARM. No one is asked by the church to post here, and none of what is posted in the OP displays critical thinking, it is a non academic, biased diatribe, that does nothing to consider both sides of a story. It is a hit and run, shock and awe, pack of lies.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
      Watchmen??? Whaaaat?

      You think your posts and conversations are so important that the leadership of our church cares what you write and how I may respond to them?

      that’s awesome, and shows the state of mind of the OP.

      No. SLC has no watchmen here at CARM. No one is asked by the church to post here, and none of what is posted in the OP displays critical thinking, it is a non academic, biased diatribe, that does nothing to consider both sides of a story. It is a hit and run, shock and awe, pack of lies.
      Sure they do. They may be watching you right now.
      Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post

        Sure they do. They may be watching you right now.
        I suppose you have the IP addresses of SLC church headquarters, and know how and when the church steps in on our conversation.

        Otherwise this is on the whacky conspiracy side of the ledger.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
          I suppose you have the IP addresses of SLC church headquarters, and know how and when the church steps in on our conversation.

          Otherwise this is on the whacky conspiracy side of the ledger.
          You'd be surprised.; "Other local LDS leaders have acted on what they have seen members put on the Web."

          Maybe YOU should read the article.http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...90&itype=CMSID
          Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post

            You'd be surprised.; "Other local LDS leaders have acted on what they have seen members put on the Web."

            Maybe YOU should read the article.http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...90&itype=CMSID
            thanks for sharing, it appears that you have mistaken what may happen at a ward level, compared to a SLC Church level. At the individual ward level, there may be inappropriate behavior exhibited online, the members of that ward certainly can talk to the individual with any concerns.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post

              thanks for sharing, it appears that you have mistaken what may happen at a ward level, compared to a SLC Church level. At the individual ward level, there may be inappropriate behavior exhibited online, the members of that ward certainly can talk to the individual with any concerns.
              Look, don't you know to whom your "ward" leaders report? Get real! Right up the priesthood chain of authority. The little busybodies are always trying to ferret out "apostates." In fact, here is an account: https://patch.com/utah/salt-lake-cit...ted-me-lied-it
              Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post

                Look, don't you know to whom your "ward" leaders report? Get real! Right up the priesthood chain of authority. The little busybodies are always trying to ferret out "apostates." In fact, here is an account: https://patch.com/utah/salt-lake-cit...ted-me-lied-it
                Having one side of the story is not a great way to draw conclusions. It’s not academic. this is not journalism, it’s an attack piece meant to garner sympathy and spread an agenda. The guy links to the CES letter and Mormonthink.

                If those are your objective truth sources...

                There is not a widespread effort trying to out apostates, they do a good job of It themselves.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post

                  Having one side of the story is not a great way to draw conclusions. It’s not academic. this is not journalism, it’s an attack piece meant to garner sympathy and spread an agenda. The guy links to the CES letter and Mormonthink.

                  If those are your objective truth sources...

                  There is not a widespread effort trying to out apostates, they do a good job of It themselves.
                  Those are two great sites. Read them. They both provide the Mormon view and the Christian view. Don't be afraid.
                  Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post

                    Having one side of the story is not a great way to draw conclusions. It’s not academic. this is not journalism, it’s an attack piece meant to garner sympathy and spread an agenda. The guy links to the CES letter and Mormonthink.

                    If those are your objective truth sources...

                    There is not a widespread effort trying to out apostates, they do a good job of It themselves.
                    I've not met a Mormon here who ever gave both sides of the story, or even knew the other side.
                    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
                      Watchmen??? Whaaaat?

                      You think your posts and conversations are so important that the leadership of our church cares what you write and how I may respond to them?

                      that’s awesome, and shows the state of mind of the OP.

                      No. SLC has no watchmen here at CARM. No one is asked by the church to post here, and none of what is posted in the OP displays critical thinking, it is a non academic, biased diatribe, that does nothing to consider both sides of a story. It is a hit and run, shock and awe, pack of lies.
                      The mormon Strengthening the Members Committee has eyes everywhere. You should check into it.
                      ~ There is life after mormonism, and it's good! Just stay close to Christ.
                      ~ You can't follow Christ and false prophets at the same time.
                      ~ "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post

                        Having one side of the story is not a great way to draw conclusions. It’s not academic. this is not journalism, it’s an attack piece meant to garner sympathy and spread an agenda. The guy links to the CES letter and Mormonthink.

                        If those are your objective truth sources...

                        There is not a widespread effort trying to out apostates, they do a good job of It themselves.
                        Many times they 'out' themselves merely by revealing what they have found in the LDS archives, especially when previous LDS historians went to great lengths to bury or obfuscate the facts of the matter. It's LDSism hiding from its own history in many cases.
                        "You have just constructed a straw man so large you could burn it in the desert and hold an annoying festival around it"


                        "One's personal world view can be so powerful that it blinds them to any evidence that contradicts it"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Magdalena View Post

                          The mormon Strengthening the Members Committee has eyes everywhere. You should check into it.
                          (shaking head)

                          Sometimes there is just no getting through to the conspiracy theory minded.
                          Cet animal est très méchant,
                          Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

                          Translation: "This animal is very bad; when you attack it, it defends itself."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post

                            Those are two great sites. Read them. They both provide the Mormon view and the Christian view. Don't be afraid.
                            Afraid? I read all that stuff, it helps me understand what people are falling for.

                            There has to be opposition. I feel sorrow for Runnels and Tom, and Shawn, and anyone who has had their shelf break.

                            Losing faith is dramatic and traumatic.

                            You must grieve when good people leave Jesus and or Calvary chapel. I was just reading a bunch of ex Calvary chapel members who left amid horrible accusations and circumstance.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post

                              I've not met a Mormon here who ever gave both sides of the story, or even knew the other side.
                              The other side? Isn’t that what you provide? We say what we believe, you tell us we are lying, and that we really believe something else.....and on and on and on.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X