Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

A great thesis written to prove the 19th century origin of the Book of Mormon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great thesis written to prove the 19th century origin of the Book of Mormon

The insight of Mark Twain regarding the Book of Mormon:

“The book seems to be merely a prosy detail of imaginary history, with the Old Testament for a model; followed by a tedious plagiarism of the New Testament. The author labored to give his words and phrases the quaint, old-fashioned sound and structure of our King James'translation of the Scriptures; and the result is a mongrel-half modern glibness, and half ancient simplicity and gravity. The latter is awkward and constrained; the former natural, but grotesque by the contrast. Whenever he found his speech growing too modern-which was about every sentence or two-he ladled in a few such scriptural phrases as “exceeding sore,” “and it came to pass,” etc., and made things satisfactory again. “And it came to pass” was his pet. If he had left that out, his Bible would have been only a pamphlet"

This is quoted in a thesis which I will link to demonstrating once and for all that the Book of Mormon is nothing but 19th century pious fiction. written by Ray Anderson, and titled, "The Book of Mormon: A Voice from 19 th Century Dust An Overview of the Evidence for the Book’s Modern Origin."

Even one Mormon scholar we know has publicly suggested the 19th century origin of the book, and I believe many others agree but are truly afraid to rock the cultic boat and end up excommunicated for some contrived reason and shunned by friends and family. There is just too much evidence out there for anybody who thinks things through to believe the narrative is anything but sheer fiction. Science, Linguistics, Botany, Anthropology, and especially archaeology. speak out against the Book of Mormon being an ancient text and historical (unless they are working for outfits lik FAIR).

So, here is a link to this outstanding study of the 19th century origin of the Book of Mormon: http://www.exmormonfoundation.org/fi...ofMormon07.PDF

The Mormons here can read this thesis without anybody (other Mormons) snooping over their shoulders, and have some privacy. Christians need to read it for information.
    Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 07-04-18, 04:17 PM.
    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Waiting for some Mormon to tell me this is too boring to address!
    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
      I read it. 80 pages. Itís full of contradictions. Itís like duck hunting spray a bunch of different bbís and you may hit something.

Here is his conclusion:
      All conjecture aside, there really is no definitive way to explain how Joseph accomplished this most daunting task. But the fact that we donít yet fully understand how Joseph Smith produced the Book of Mormon doesnít change the fact that he clearly did produce it. The internal and external evidence, in my opinion, is simply too overwhelming to say otherwise.

What a bunch of a waste of kilobytes on a PDF.

He writes 80 pages of other peopleís ideas, then doesnít have an explanation in the end.

And you call this good?

Basically the author calls the book Fiction, by writing more....fiction.

Its utter nonsense. Itís tired arguments and he shows a lack of knowledge of the extant text and the current work.

He makes no attempt to explain hebraisms, or chiasmus.

He he does not address intertextual complexity.

He does not discuss the provenance of the plates.

He misused Nibleys work and quoted him out of context.

He is using a scattershot, throw theories at the wall to see what sticks or resonates.

Some works look and feel academic. It is just looks.

This is a tired plagiarism of various anti Mormon theories copy and pasted together into an 80 page blob.

It arrives as no conclusion to the thesis.

It fails to produce what it promises.

did you even read this before you posted it? It’s embarassing.

Last edited by CTR-Lloyd; 07-05-18, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Just tell me whether the author definitely concludes that CA's conspiracy theory (that JS had NOTHING to do with creating the BOM and was NOT the founder of Mormonism) is correct.
        ...whenever a person's religious conversation dwells... on the faults of other people's religions, he is in a bad condition-C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
          Just tell me whether the author definitely concludes that CA's conspiracy theory (that JS had NOTHING to do with creating the BOM and was NOT the founder of Mormonism) is correct.
          ROTFL 😂

He is in the exact opposite camp. The author has copied and pasted more theories than the Inuit have words for Snow.

The best is that after all of it, he is hoping someone else will figure it out.

this is just as laughable as the CES letter.
          Last edited by CTR-Lloyd; 07-05-18, 12:30 AM.

Comment

It's July 4th. I watched "1776," had a picnic, and am now comforting my dog because he's scared spitless of fireworks. If you don't have anything better to do this day than post utterly pointless and silly OPs, I have better things to do than address them.

Catch me tomorrow. Maybe then I'll be interested.

Oh. Wait. Didn't you once claim that Mormons have no right to celebrate holidays like Independence Day? I'm sure I remember that from somewhere way back when...could be wrong, but...I don't think so.

Ah, well.
            Providing a proper reference/citation for a quote says nothing. Refusing to provide a proper reference/citation for a quote says everything: it’s a credibility killer. Nothing says “I'm making this up” like refusing to provide citations.

Comment

You posted at noon on the 4th of July and waited a whole two hours for the Mormons to respond to your request to critique an 80 page document? From exMormonfoundation??

When I read the OP I saw this...

"

....demonstrating once and for all that the Book of Mormon is nothing but 19th century pious fiction.
              Isnít that the same claim youíve made just about every week for the last decade? Arenít you tired of finding the silver bullet that will ďonce and for allĒ put Mormonism to rest only to find out that you were sold, yet again, a blank cartridge painted silver?

Comment

The insight of Mark Twain regarding the Book of Mormon:

“The book seems to be merely a prosy detail of imaginary history, with the Old Testament for a model; followed by a tedious plagiarism of the New Testament. The author labored to give his words and phrases the quaint, old-fashioned sound and structure of our King James'translation of the Scriptures; and the result is a mongrel-half modern glibness, and half ancient simplicity and gravity. The latter is awkward and constrained; the former natural, but grotesque by the contrast. Whenever he found his speech growing too modern-which was about every sentence or two-he ladled in a few such scriptural phrases as “exceeding sore,” “and it came to pass,” etc., and made things satisfactory again. “And it came to pass” was his pet. If he had left that out, his Bible would have been only a pamphlet"

This is quoted in a thesis which I will link to demonstrating once and for all that the Book of Mormon is nothing but 19th century pious fiction. written by Ray Anderson, and titled, "The Book of Mormon: A Voice from 19 th Century Dust An Overview of the Evidence for the Book’s Modern Origin."

Even one Mormon scholar we know has publicly suggested the 19th century origin of the book, and I believe many others agree but are truly afraid to rock the cultic boat and end up excommunicated for some contrived reason and shunned by friends and family. There is just too much evidence out there for anybody who thinks things through to believe the narrative is anything but sheer fiction. Science, Linguistics, Botany, Anthropology, and especially archaeology. speak out against the Book of Mormon being an ancient text and historical (unless they are working for outfits lik FAIR).

So, here is a link to this outstanding study of the 19th century origin of the Book of Mormon: http://www.exmormonfoundation.org/fi...ofMormon07.PDF

The Mormons here can read this thesis without anybody (other Mormons) snooping over their shoulders, and have some privacy. Christians need to read it for information.
                What to do with the 11 other witness that they saw and some even hefted and flipped the pages of the Gold Plates.... Good ole Ray Anderson does not touch on that... wonder why?
                A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards. Proverbs

Comment

Now why would you throw a hitch into their narrative.... you muddy up the waters of these extremist Jeff... now they have to go back and somehow connect the dots... oh my!
                  A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards. Proverbs

Comment

Originally posted by JustaLurker View Post

You posted at noon on the 4th of July and waited a whole two hours for the Mormons to respond to your request to critique an 80 page document? From exMormonfoundation??

Isnít that the same claim youíve made just about every week for the last decade? Arenít you tired of finding the silver bullet that will ďonce and for allĒ put Mormonism to rest only to find out that you were sold, yet again, a blank cartridge painted silver?
                    Do not forget than the in between weeks (no name) posts that JS was a pedophile... go figure... both of these seem to be what (no name) hangs their hat on....

Comment

Originally posted by JustaLurker View Post

Isn’t that the same claim you’ve made just about every week for the last decade? Aren’t you tired of finding the silver bullet that will “once and for all” put Mormonism to rest only to find out that you were sold, yet again, a blank cartridge painted silver?
                      And you didn't bother to read the thesis, right LURKER? So, instead of doing so, you attack the poster. The Mormons here won't be able to give cogent answers to the issues raised. See the posts above for an example.

Comment

Originally posted by dianaiad View Post

It's July 4th. I watched "1776," had a picnic, and am now comforting my dog because he's scared spitless of fireworks. If you don't have anything better to do this day than post utterly pointless and silly OPs, I have better things to do than address them.

Catch me tomorrow. Maybe then I'll be interested.

Oh. Wait. Didn't you once claim that Mormons have no right to celebrate holidays like Independence Day? I'm sure I remember that from somewhere way back when...could be wrong, but...I don't think so.

Ah, well.
                        Don't bother, please.

Comment

Afraid to read the thesis, right Jeff? Just the same old, same old that we've come to expect from the Mormons: puerile responses.
                          Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 07-05-18, 09:26 AM.

Comment

So, if anybody out there is seriously considering Mormonism as a religion, I would like to call your attention the fact that no Mormon here could give one intelligent response to the issues raised in the thesis linked to in the OP - NOT ONE! For Mormons, mocking is supposed to be an acceptable response. I hope that any "inquirers" take a look at the responses found here and learn one thing: Mormonism is a huge deception, and one way Mormons try to cover that up is by mockery.

Prov. 1: ďHow long, O naive ones, will you love being simple-minded? And scoffers delight themselves in scoffing And fools hate knowledge?

Comment

Don't bother, please.
                              Well, since you said 'please...'
                              Providing a proper reference/citation for a quote says nothing. Refusing to provide a proper reference/citation for a quote says everything: it’s a credibility killer. Nothing says “I'm making this up” like refusing to provide citations.

Comment

Working...
                              X