Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Hill Cumorah Pageant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urloony
    started a topic Hill Cumorah Pageant

Hill Cumorah Pageant

I'm headed to Palmyra for pageant this weekend and plan to engage the anti's per usual (the nice ones under the tents, not the maniacs with the megaphones). However, we haven't been up in about five years now (we used to go every year). Each year there have been different trends in antimormon propaganda. In previous years it was Joseph Smith's wives, first vision accounts, etc. I'm curious as to what the recent popular topics are for anti's now so that I can know what to expect.

• Bonnie
    replied
    Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
    Bump for bonnie. Is there really a type of evidence that would make you believe he lied about any of his antimormon claims?

Or is everything he says about us as inerrant and true as you believe the bible to be, and you'd be as likely to suspect the bible of lying as you would suspect St. Ed to be?
    Is there really a type of evidence that would make Mormons believe about Joseph Smith and the history of the church, that we put down on here, often from Mormon sources? Do Mormons think he was as inerrant as we believe the Bible to be?

I invited you to put down a few of the errors he supposedly got wrong in his book, from that Sharff's book you have. I dealt with a couple already, from that critique from amazon.com. All I had time for, then. But some appear just to be differences of opinions.

I never said Decker was inerrant. In fact, I think I wrote on here someplace that I think he went overboard in his book, with some of his opinions, making them seem like facts. And I also have stated that I think he is a bit paranoid, perhaps with reason....but still, paranoid.

Also, I posted a list from fairmormon I had on here, someplace, about some of the things Ed supposedly got wrong in his book..I responded to every one on the list, checking his book and the quotes. I think I did say he got one or two things wrong, although I also wrote what he may have actually meant by what he wrote since I could read more of it IN CONTEXT. Which is anathema to Mormons. .

https://forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/cu...ageant?q=Satan

Read what I wrote in my answers to this list, in my numbers 7-10. Post no. 4.

But the thing is, I NEVER bring up Ed Decker on here, and do not talk about him unless and until a Mormon brings him up and what he wrote. I never use him as a source because I know Mormons despise him so much--kinda the way we feel about Joseph Smith, Jr.

But IF folks on here think he lies so much, then they can write to him, themselves. His email address is all over the Internet. He said his accusers should write to him and accuse him personally. This is the last I will say about Ed and his book. Write to him with PROOF that he lied in his book. Outright LIED, not just getting some fact or other wrong.
    Last edited by Bonnie; 07-31-18, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bonnie
    replied
    Originally posted by JustaLurker

EDIT PER MOD

Then I suggest that you write directly to him--his email address is on that address you can link to, if you put in http:// before the rest of the address. He has invited those on these boards to write directly to him with their accusations--if they have the intestinal fortitude.
    Last edited by 4Him; 07-31-18, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NRA-Jeff
    replied
    Bump for bonnie. Is there really a type of evidence that would make you believe he lied about any of his antimormon claims?

Or is everything he says about us as inerrant and true as you believe the bible to be, and you'd be as likely to suspect the bible of lying as you would suspect St. Ed to be?

Leave a comment:

• Bonnie
    replied
    bump

Leave a comment:

• Bonnie
    replied
    QUOTE=dianaiad;n5389030]

It is when he uses his excommunication as a tool to attack the church that booted him out. By doing that, he made it the business of anybody he is trying to convince that his excommunication was unjustified and/or his decision and based upon purely religious disagreements.

[/QUOTE]He ever claimed that his excommunication was "unjustified." He asked to have his name removed from your church's roster.

Both you and urloony are incorrect. Ed was NOT excommunicated for adultery. He asked to be released from the lds church. I contacted him and he sent me a link to where he defends the God Makers and also, a link within that, where he resigns from the lds church. Here is the link to In Defense of the God Makers:

saintsalive.com/in-defense-of-the-god-makers-and-ed-decker/ (I took out the link, as it links to a blog with potential discussion content, but it is easy enough to find on the website)

He wrote the following about his divorce:

As for my personal life, I was never divorced for “adultery” or any other sin. I divorced my first wife, at the recommendation of the Bishop and after meetings with the Stake President. A Mormon Attorney filed the papers. I was still an active Mormon following that divorce and maintained my temple recommend.

Both my ex-wife and I remarried, she twice more and I am still married to my ‘only’ wife for almost 45 years. All my children from that first marriage are close to us, some living right in the Puget Sound area. During that time, we have been in a faith ministry for over 35 years, having used much of our own assets to fund the work.
    Here is a copy of his excommunication from the lds church:

saintsalive.com/ed-deckers-actual-excommunication-record/

Again, I had to take out the link.
    And here is part of what it says:

THE OFFICE OF THE STAKE PRESIDENT

Bellevue, Washington Stake

Nov. 14, 1976

Mr. J. Edward Decker

Address

Issaquah, Wa.[sic] 98027

Dear Brother Decker:

In follow-up to the High Council Court held on October 21, 1976, this letter is to formally advise you that as of that date you were EXCOMMUNICATED from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This was the result of your request that your name be removed from the records of the Church.

As we hope you are aware, this action was taken without any animosity toward you by any member of the Church. In fact, our concern for your eternal salvation has increased rather than diminished.

As of this time, you have cut yourself off from any part or portion of the Celestial Kingdom. We must remind you that when the final decision was made, you were the one who requested that your name be removed from the records of the Church. This decision was yours and yours alone.
    Emphasis added.

So, it appears that lies have been lobbied against Ed Decker. If anyone wants to contend with him and tell him he is a liar and lying about all of this, then go to the link where his excommunication letter is,(adding back in the http/) and on the lower right hand side, readers can see where it says "connect" and then Ed Decker's e-mail address is given. He has said that such folks that want to accuse him should accuse him directly by writing to him. I wrote to him a week ago and he sent me the links to these two places on the saintsalive website. I guess he can still see enough to write. Unless he has someone type for him, which is possible.

I hope this puts to rest the rumors that Ed was excommunicated for adultery.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Mod10 View Post
    Note for dianaiad and other posters--it is not true that Christians can post links to fairmormon and Mormons cannot. No one is allowed to post to fairmormon, as it is not an official Mormon website. Please reread the rules about links. And if anyone here sees anyone with a link to fairmormon, please alert on that post and mods will take care of it. We do not read all posts and rely on posters to alert on posts that break the rules. Thank you.
    Thank you for the clarification, and thank you for dealing with the original post. It's very helpful.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    delete....the moderation note dealt with the issue.
    Last edited by dianaiad; 07-26-18, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mod10
    replied
    Originally posted by dianaiad

From here: https://forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/cu...95#post5336295

That's pretty darned official.

Well, as I have just proven, you can.

Interesting, isn't it?

As to the posting to multiple posts on CARM, the work around (evidently) is to get rid of the 'http:' and just post everything from "www." It will remain clickable, but not mess with the software.

At least, that's what was discussed a few weeks ago. I honestly don't know if that would work. You could try it, anyway.
    Note for dianaiad and other posters--it is not true that Christians can post links to fairmormon and Mormons cannot. No one is allowed to post to fairmormon, as it is not an official Mormon website. Please reread the rules about links. And if anyone here sees anyone with a link to fairmormon, please alert on that post and mods will take care of it. We do not read all posts and rely on posters to alert on posts that break the rules. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• NRA-Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
    Mormons certainly are totally devoid of doing Jesus' works.
    Now that there is an interesting accusation. "CERTAINLY, TOTALLY, DEVOID " is an "extremely" massive obligation you have given yoursef to back up with evidence.

I'm just gonna tag this post with one my CFR notations so that when an anti claims that she has always supported, with evidence, her accusations against LDS PEOPLE, a quick search will retrieve this accusation --and the failure to support it that ensued.
    Last edited by NRA-Jeff; 07-26-18, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    deleted

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
    The existence of John 14:12 seems to bother antis to the point of denying it's in their Bibles. How DARE any Christian actually believe Jesus' words as quoted in that verse! ?

Can I get a big amen?
    Show us where a Christian denied Jn 14:12 is in the Bible. Mormons certainly are totally devoid of doing Jesus' works. Joey the Liar did NONE at all. He claimed he was greater than Jesus, but he was nothing but an outrageous braggart, EDITED--DIVISIVE
    Last edited by Mod10; 07-26-18, 08:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Smith, Young and Kimball married very young girls and were certainly engaging in Pedophile behavior. As far as greed goes, the Mormon cult charges people ten percent of their income to get into their temples and get a pass to godhood. Are Mormons baby killers? I don't know, but a baby is dead and it appears that Mormons here are more interested in being exonerated than getting to the bottom of the murder. I have no respect for those Mormons who whine and rant and yam, but who could care less who killed Baby X. And as far as certain Mormons who feel they are persecuted, they don't give a hoot about real persecution. Look to the MIddle East Christians - there is persecution. As far as Mormons go, I could care less about them - just stop pretending to be Christians and admit you are another religion. You people are no more Christian than Shintoists. Mormonism is a total lie.

Leave a comment:

• NRA-Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by Bonnie
    And If you want to see true arrogance, look no further than Joseph Smith, who boasted that he did a better job than even Jesus Himself, in keeping a church together. But forvsome reason, that doesn't seem to bother Mormons overmuch...
    The existence of John 14:12 seems to bother antis to the point of denying it's in their Bibles. How DARE any Christian actually believe Jesus' words as quoted in that verse! ?

Can I get a big amen?

Leave a comment:

• Bonnie
    replied
    Originally posted by dianaiad View Post

You can post to any site you want to.

However, the rules say that you can post any number of links to CARM posts, even though the program automatically flags you if you do more than two. There is a work around.

In other words, YOU could have linked to the Fairmormon article, if you wished.
    No,I cannot post to any site. I cannot post to other discussion boards, or anti-Christian websites, or blogs with discussion from other posters, or to twitter of facebook. So, no I could NOT have linked to fairmormon, just because I am a Christian on here and not a Mormon! Where did you get that idea? Maybe you need to reread the rules, as I do, from time to time. The rules apply to everyone on CARM.

As for two links per post, sometimes I have gotten away with three links, for some reason, though maybe it is because one or two were to CARM posts. I don't know. But more than that, yes they would go bye-bye until moderated on I suppose. I had one with 7 links to other CARM posts, on another board on here, that disappeared and then reappeared 2 days later. I wrote to Diane--sigh--about that, and she told me they automatically went to a page where she would have to look to make sure the links were valid and not breaking the rules, since we can link to as may CARM posts and articles as we please. When she approved of them, they would suddenly reappear in the thread. Neat! I had never had that happen on here, before.

So, no I canNOT link to Fairmormon any more than Mormons can!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X