Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Mormonism and Why it is based on Fiction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormonism and Why it is based on Fiction

Searching for truth? Well, if you're looking in Mormonism, you are searching in the wrong place. Watch this video, and if you are a Mormon, try to refute it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P17...&feature=share
    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
    Searching for truth? Well, if you're looking in Mormonism, you are searching in the wrong place. Watch this video, and if you are a Mormon, try to refute it:

bump
    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Comment

bump
      It was only 12 minutes long so I watched it.

What’s to refute? He doesn’t believe the Mormon version of the gospel. Lot’s of people don’t.

He calls it crazy but never stops to consider how crazy every Christian sect is, including Mormonism. We all believe in a man who rose from the dead and in a resurection. We all believe in a God we have never seen who hears and answers silent prayers.

The rest of the video is just him pointing out that Mormonism is both improbable and unproven. He never considers that all of Christianity is extremely improbable and unproven. The only saving grace is that it happens to be true.

What part or point in the video did you want addressed and refuted?

Comment

Originally posted by JustaLurker View Post

It was only 12 minutes long so I watched it.

What’s to refute? He doesn’t believe the Mormon version of the gospel. Lot’s of people don’t.

He calls it crazy but never stops to consider how crazy every Christian sect is, including Mormonism. We all believe in a man who rose from the dead and in a resurection. We all believe in a God we have never seen who hears and answers silent prayers.

The rest of the video is just him pointing out that Mormonism is both improbable and unproven. He never considers that all of Christianity is extremely improbable and unproven. The only saving grace is that it happens to be true.

What part or point in the video did you want addressed and refuted?
        Refute one point he made in the video, don't just talk.

Comment

Refute one point he made in the video, don't just talk.
          He made no points in his video other than that one should be skeptical and that Mormonism is both implausible and improbable. Skepticism is good and it’s the nature of religion to be implausible and improbable. Were that not so we would be dealing with science rather than religion.

Comment

Originally posted by JustaLurker View Post

He made no points in his video other than that one should be skeptical and that Mormonism is both implausible and improbable. Skepticism is good and it’s the nature of religion to be implausible and improbable. Were that not so we would be dealing with science rather than religion.
            If you think he made no points, you haven't understood the video if you watched it at all. Forget it Lurker.

Comment

So, does any Mormon want to take a crack at the issues raised in the video? How about what he says about Zarahemla?

Comment

It does not appear he has read the book. He says —-and it did come to pass—- anyone who has read a bit would never make that mistake —-and it came to pass—-is the correct verbiage.

Also he says that no inscriptions date to the time of zarahemla. That is completely false. Pre classic Mayan ruins at El Mirador, show a massive city, raised highways millions of people, and extensive trade routes between nearby cities on cement highways.

This is dated exactly to Nephites times and population estimates.

There is extensive use of crops and places of worship as well as pyramids and evidence of working with gold silver and bronze.

the YouTube guy is just spewing the same nonsense that most Antis spew.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
                  It does not appear he has read the book. He says —-and it did come to pass—- anyone who has read a bit would never make that mistake —-and it came to pass—-is the correct verbiage.

Also he says that no inscriptions date to the time of zarahemla. That is completely false. Pre classic Mayan ruins at El Mirador, show a massive city, raised highways millions of people, and extensive trade routes between nearby cities on cement highways.

There is extensive use of crops and places of worship as well as pyramids and evidence of working with gold silver and bronze.

I think you're wrong. He wasn't writing a paper. And he had his facts straight. Whether he said it correctly is obviously not an issue, the issue is that he knoew what he was talking about. Why is he "spewing?" He spoke very well. In fact better than what one hears at your "conferences." Why is he an "anti," because he disagrees with you. Does it make Mormons ignore truth if they can objectify as as "anti" those who disagree with them. Don't you realize that that is a huge cult dynamic? Why don't you give some rebuttal instead of simply calling the guy a name?

Comment

[QUOTE=CTR-Lloyd;n5389295]
                    It does not appear he has read the book. He says —-and it did come to pass—- anyone who has read a bit would never make that mistake —-and it came to pass—-is the correct verbiage.[QUOTE]

Grasping at straws, there.

All this time I thought all this stuff was going on in North America. Quatemala never occurred to me.

And what does that prove, exactly? I mean, everyone on the planet would have been using crops by then, and there has been worship even before men left their caves. I do believe bronze goes back quite a way, as well....

Let's not use words like "spewing". Not only is it not polite...but my tummy is a bit uneasy this morning...and I'd really rather not think about "spewing"...if you don't mind.
                    Last edited by The Barrd; 07-18-18, 08:42 AM.
                    God Who was made flesh for me and nailed upon a lonely tree
                    What gift can I bring that would suffice to repay such great sacrifice?
                    All that I am I lay at Your throne. Make me, Lord, Your very Own.

Comment

Give us any archaeological proof that some pre-classic Mayan site has anything to do with a Jewish/Hebrew immigration, and give us the time frame. Your dating is off. And so is your archaeology, unless you want to make Nephites pagan, human-sacrificing idol worshipers. Show us some scientific evidence - you are no archaeologist are you? And I mean a non-Mormon source. I get very tired of the Mormon claim of expertise in all things. Words are cheap. Let's see hard scientific evidence.

And by the way, the satellite discovery in Guatamala is still Mayan, but you classify it as "pre-classic." So what if it's pre-classic? You are the people saying that all archaeological evidence of the Nephites vanished in the jungles, right? But the minute they discover a Mayan site, there you guys are with Mormon excessive panting, claiming, "here are the Nephites." Unless you want to make the Maya into Jews who practiced human sacrifice, Lloyd, I suggest you actually study the subject instead of listening to groups like "the Nephi Project."

To claim this site, you must justify the many idols. Can you? ROFL.
                      Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 07-18-18, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Give us any archaeological proof that some pre-classic Mayan site has anything to do with a Jewish/Hebrew immigration, and give us the time frame. Your dating is off. And so is your archaeology, unless you want to make Nephites pagan, human-sacrificing idol worshipers. Show us some scientific evidence - you are no archaeologist are you? And I mean a non-Mormon source. I get very tired of the Mormon claim of expertise in all things. Words are cheap. Let's see hard scientific evidence.

And by the way, the satellite discovery in Guatamala is still Mayan, but you classify it as "pre-classic." So what if it's pre-classic? You are the people saying that all archaeological evidence of the Nephites vanished in the jungles, right? But the minute they discover a Mayan site, there you guys are with Mormon excessive panting, claiming, "here are the Nephites." Unless you want to make the Maya into Jews who practiced human sacrifice, Lloyd, I suggest you actually study the subject instead of listening to groups like "the Nephi Project."

To claim this site, you must justify the many idols. Can you? ROFL.
                        Or you could read the Book of Mormon and understand that the Nephites were idolatrous at times, and that they practiced human sacrifice. The text of the Book of Mormon contains the it.

Comment

Still looking, folks, for one Nephite shard. Next Mormons will be searching for Hobbits in Guatemala!

Comment

Or you could read the Book of Mormon and understand that the Nephites were idolatrous at times, and that they practiced human sacrifice. The text of the Book of Mormon contains the it.
                            Or one could be honest about Mormon, 4, and say that it was the LAMANITES who supposedly practiced human sacrifice. Are you owning that? So, you are trying to tell us that the Maya were actually Lamanites and that human sacrifices are to be imputed to a bunch of Jewish apostates? Got it, Lloyd. I'm sure you share that information with the Native Americans you've seduced into believing they are Lamanites, right?

And, of course, then DNA results should indicate that the Maya are descended from Middle Easterners. Do you have that evidence Lloyd?
                            Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 07-19-18, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Or one could be honest about Mormon, 4, and say that it was the LAMANITES who supposedly practiced human sacrifice. Are you owning that? So, you are trying to tell us that the Maya were actually Lamanites and that human sacrifices are to be imputed to a bunch of Jewish apostates? Got it, Lloyd. I'm sure you share that information with the Native Americans you've seduced into believing they are Lamanites, right?

And, of course, then DNA results should indicate that the Maya are descended from Middle Easterners. Do you have that evidence Lloyd?
                              in Alma 14 Nephites hurl women and children into fire to burn them alive, they are sacrificing them to the idol of man, and the god of self.

in other Parts lamanites are performing ritual sacrifice to false gods.

We dont contend that Lamanites are relatives or Share DNA with Mayans, or American first people’s.

We used to say say these things. We are leaning more and correcting false teachings.

We were ignorant 100 years ago of DNA testing, population studies, Multiple migrations and so many other things.

What I’m excited for is the continuing knowledge that is constantly being unearthed.

El Mirador is just one site, among others that are sure to come.

The earth hides secrets very well, but it can and will give them up.

We cannot prove a DNA link to any American Civilization. The DNA of a small group is impossible to trace after many generations have passed.

We are also not in the business of scientific proofs we are trying to save souls via the spirit.

Comment

Working...
                              X