Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Why would anybody follow Joseph Smith?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would anybody follow Joseph Smith?

This is from: http://followtheprophets.com/joseph-smith/
    • "On January 18, 1827 Joseph Smith married Emma Hale. On January 17, 1842 (15 years later) Joseph Smith married Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner while she was about 6 months pregnant with her third child. Emma was also 7 months pregnant at the time. The Lightner wedding took place in the upper room of the Red Brick Store, with Brigham Young officiating. At that time, Joseph counseled Mary to stay with her husband and children in Farmington, IL. Later that night Joseph and Willard Richards went to Agnes Coolbirth Smith’s home (wife of Smith’s deceased brother) for dinner. Joseph had secretly married Agnes about 5 days earlier. Willard fell asleep after dinner while Smith spent time with Agnes. Joseph later awoke Willard and they returned to the Smith home. On January 18th, 1843 there was a grand celebration of their 16th wedding anniversary at the Smith home.
    In summary….Smith married a pregnant woman (who was already married) on the eve of his wedding anniversary and probably engaged in sexual relations with his dead brother’s wife instead of staying home with his own wife – which he so very often did not. (In Sacred Loneliness, Todd Compton / Ensign, My Great-Great Grandmother Emma Hale Smith, Aug 1992)

Not to be outdone by his January escapades with Mary and Agnes, Joseph married Sylvia Porter Sessions on Feb 8, 1842, just two days after his wife gave birth to their stillborn son. The following month Joseph married Sylvia’s mother, Patty Sessions, with the daughter Sylvia present."

Question: Is this the kind of guy you want to follow as a prophet? He obviously had sexual issues. Why would anybody in their wildest nightmare want to consider Joseph Smith a prophet, much less entrust their salvation to him?

Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 08-09-18, 12:10 PM.
    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Okay, so basically the Mormons can't even tell us why anybody should follow Smith. Okay!
    Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
      Okay, so basically the Mormons can't even tell us why anybody should follow Smith. Okay!
      Insanity, perhaps?
      God Who was made flesh for me and nailed upon a lonely tree
      What gift can I bring that would suffice to repay such great sacrifice?
      All that I am I lay at Your throne. Make me, Lord, Your very Own.

Comment

This is from:
        • "On January 18, 1827 Joseph Smith married Emma Hale. On January 17, 1842 (15 years later) Joseph Smith married Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner while she was about 6 months pregnant with her third child. Emma was also 7 months pregnant at the time. The Lightner wedding took place in the upper room of the Red Brick Store, with Brigham Young officiating. At that time, Joseph counseled Mary to stay with her husband and children in Farmington, IL. Later that night Joseph and Willard Richards went to Agnes Coolbirth Smith’s home (wife of Smith’s deceased brother) for dinner. Joseph had secretly married Agnes about 5 days earlier. Willard fell asleep after dinner while Smith spent time with Agnes. Joseph later awoke Willard and they returned to the Smith home. On January 18th, 1843 there was a grand celebration of their 16th wedding anniversary at the Smith home.[/B]
        [B]In summary….Smith married a pregnant woman (who was already married) on the eve of his wedding anniversary and probably engaged in sexual relations with his dead brother’s wife instead of staying home with his own wife – which he so very often did not. (In Sacred Loneliness, Todd Compton / Ensign, My Great-Great Grandmother Emma Hale Smith, Aug 1992)

Not to be outdone by his January escapades with Mary and Agnes, Joseph married Sylvia Porter Sessions on Feb 8, 1842, just two days after his wife gave birth to their stillborn son. The following month Joseph married Sylvia’s mother, Patty Sessions, with the daughter Sylvia present."

Question: Is this the kind of guy you want to follow as a prophet? He obviously had sexual issues. Why would anybody in their wildest nightmare want to consider Joseph Smith a prophet, much less entrust their salvation to him?
        Well, you and Compton can speculate all you want. I conclude that Anges and Joseph were making plans for the following day's celebration, not trying to make babies.

My question would be, is Abraham the kind of guy you'd want to follow as a prophet? or Jacob? or Moses? They obviously had sexual issues. Why would anyone in their wildest nightmare want to consider any of these three men a prophet, much less entrust their salvation to them?
        "...for now is our salvation nearer to us than when we believed." Romans 13:11 -- What else must be done to move past belief? Faith is belief in action. It is works unto salvation.

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherofJared View Post
          Well, you and Compton can speculate all you want. I conclude that Anges and Joseph were making plans for the following day's celebration, not trying to make babies.

My question would be, is Abraham the kind of guy you'd want to follow as a prophet? or Jacob? or Moses? They obviously had sexual issues. Why would anyone in their wildest nightmare want to consider any of these three men a prophet, much less entrust their salvation to them?
          Dream on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Barrd View Post

Insanity, perhaps?
            He was so sickening, wasn't he. Smith was a classic sociopathic - cared only for himself. Emma and his stillborn child were apparently meaningless to him (although Mormons have revised their whole marital history to make Smitty a knight in shining armor - more like someone you'd have to use armor against if you were a woman!

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherofJared View Post

Got a news flash for you, Joseph Smith couldn't even latch the sandals of Moses, Jacob or Abaraham. It is entirely without any merit to try and place Smith in their category....the only Biblical character he resembles is Simon Magnus, but at least Simon repented. It sickens me when Mormons try to use the Bible to prove a serial adulterer, sexual predator and pedophile like Smith was a "prophet." He was nothing but an evil, mentally deranged, self-absorbed character who could care less about any Mormon here as long as he had his sexual fixes, his comfy mansion, and others chopped his wood for him. Study the character of a sociopath!

Comment

Actually, I think the death of his stillborn child did affect Smith and Emma deeply--how could it not? Wasn't it after this that he tried to join the Methodist church? I am not sure I am remembering correctly, though.

But you are right about the lds.org website. I read on one place--don't know if it is still there or not--that Smith was a 'devoted family man." Yeah, right....
                "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
                "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
                  Actually, I think the death of his stillborn child did affect Smith and Emma deeply--how could it not? Wasn't it after this that he tried to join the Methodist church? I am not sure I am remembering correctly, though.

But you are right about the lds.org website. I read on one place--don't know if it is still there or not--that Smith was a 'devoted family man." Yeah, right....
                  He didn't join the Church but went to an inquirer's class so to speak. His inability to repent when he was confronted by Methodist leaders with the sin of his necromantic activities obviously points to his hardened heart. It may have been Emma's wretched sorrow that forced him to accommodated her by attending classes - and wasn't it her brothers or cousins who confronted Smith? Also note that at the time of the child's birth, he was engaging in adulterous sexual activities. I have no doubt he perceived the stillbirth as some sort of curse upon him - he was a believer in magic and curses. Perhaps he saw his association with the Methodists (forbidden in his first vision account), as a way to get the curse lifted. In any case, the stillbirth sure didn't effect his lust:

"Not to be outdone by his January escapades with Mary and Agnes, Joseph married Sylvia Porter Sessions on Feb 8, 1842, just two days after his wife gave birth to their stillborn son. The following month Joseph married Sylvia’s mother, Patty Sessions, with the daughter Sylvia present." article cited above.
                  Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 08-10-18, 09:12 AM.

Comment

He didn't join the Church but went to an inquirer's class so to speak. His inability to repent when he was confronted by Methodist leaders with the sin of his necromantic activities obviously points to his hardened heart. It may have been Emma's wretched sorrow that forced him to accommodated her by attending classes - and wasn't it her brothers or cousins who confronted Smith? Also note that at the time of the child's birth, he was engaging in adulterous sexual activities. I have no doubt he perceived the stillbirth as some sort of curse upon him - he was a believer in magic and curses. Perhaps he saw his association with the Methodists (forbidden in his first vision account), as a way to get the curse lifted. In any case, the stillbirth sure didn't effect his lust:

"Not to be outdone by his January escapades with Mary and Agnes, Joseph married Sylvia Porter Sessions on Feb 8, 1842, just two days after his wife gave birth to their stillborn son. The following month Joseph married Sylvia’s mother, Patty Sessions, with the daughter Sylvia present." article cited above.
                    I know about how Smith tried to join the Methodist church, but not about marrying Sylvia only 2 days after his wife gave birth to a stillborn baby. Maybe that was Smith's way to assuage his grief.
                    Last edited by Bonnie; 08-10-18, 09:43 AM.
                    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Insanity, perhaps?
                      No--gullibility and not being steeped in the true word of God, the Bible.

Comment

No--gullibility and not being steeped in the true word of God, the Bible.
                        There is a sort of collective insanity in Mormonism. You saw the same in the 1930's in Nazi Germany.

Comment

I know about how Smith tried to join the Methodist church, but not about marrying Sylvia only 2 days after his wife gave birth to a stillborn baby. Maybe that was Smith's way to assuage his grief.
                          That's a nice thought, Bonnie...
                          Except he doesn't seem to be very worried about how the stillbirth might have grieved his wife....
                          God Who was made flesh for me and nailed upon a lonely tree
                          What gift can I bring that would suffice to repay such great sacrifice?
                          All that I am I lay at Your throne. Make me, Lord, Your very Own.

Comment

That's a nice thought, Bonnie...
                            Except he doesn't seem to be very worried about how the stillbirth might have grieved his wife....
                            True...unless he married that other lady behind Emma's back. Just to spare her feelings, you see... Gee, what a swell guy! Written with tongue in cheek....

Comment

Why would anybody follow Joseph Smith?
                              Because he was a great prophet who gave us the Book of Mormon, a great book of scripture equal to the Bible.
                              zerinus
                              Keep Calm!
                              I am a Mormon!

Comment

Working...
                              X