Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

How many gods does the BoM reveal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post "...Baptizing them in the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

Is that in ONE Name or THREE?
    Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    Three.

You didn't answer the question:

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post So--It's God the Father, God the Son--and God the Holy Ghost?
    Bump for Bonnie

Comment

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

Three.

You didn't answer the question:

Well, now the shoe is on the other foot...since I hardly ever get a direct answer to any of MY questions, either. Like the ones I asked about Ps. 82.

ALL three Persons in the Godhead are clearly called "God"--yet the Bible repeatedly says that "God is One" or "there is no God but one" or something similar. Ergo, the Triune Godhead.

Saying what you wrote does NOT make them three separate Gods--since the Bible--and even the BoM--clearly say there is ONLY ONE GOD. All it does is affirm that all three Persons are the Deity.

Take ALL of the Bible and what it says into consideration, and do not isolate verses.
      "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
      "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
      "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
      "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
      "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

Well, now the shoe is on the other foot...since I hardly ever get a direct answer to any of MY questions, either. Like the ones I asked about Ps. 82.

ALL three Persons in the Godhead are clearly called "God"--yet the Bible repeatedly says that "God is One" or "there is no God but one" or something similar. Ergo, the Triune Godhead.

Saying what you wrote does NOT make them three separate Gods--since the Bible--and even the BoM--clearly say there is ONLY ONE GOD. All it does is affirm that all three Persons are the Deity.

Take ALL of the Bible and what it says into consideration, and do not isolate verses.

Joseph Smith had a preponderance of verses teaching the Trinity

2 Nephi 31:

21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

Alma 11:

44 Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but everything shall be restored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God, to be judged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil.

Mormon 7:

7 And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.

The Testimony of Three Witnesses

And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

Doctrine and Covenants 20 :

28 Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen.

Book of Moses 1:

6 And I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten; and mine Only Begotten is and shall be the Savior, for he is full of grace and truth; but there is no God beside me, and all things are present with me, for I know them all.

1 Nephi 13:41

41 And they must come according to the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb; and the words of the Lamb shall be made known in the records of thy seed, as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb; wherefore they both shall be established in one; for there is one God and one Shepherd over all the earth.

COUNSEL GIVEN BY PRESIDENT CHARLES W. PENROSE

Now, some of our brethren have taken up quite a discussion as to the fulness of the everlasting gospel. We are told that the Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the gospel, that those who like to get up a dispute, say that the Book of Mormon does not contain any reference to the work of salvation for the dead and that there are many other things pertaining to the gospel that are not developed in that book, and yet we are told that the book contains "the fulness of the everlasting gospel." Well, what is the fulness of the gospel? You read carefully the revelation in regard to the three glories, Section 76, in the Doctrine and Covenants, and you find there defined what the gospel is. There God, the Eternal Father, and Jesus Christ, his Son, and the Holy Ghost, are held up as the three Persons in the Trinity—the one God, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, all three being one God. When people believe in that doctrine and obey the ordinances which are spoken of in the same list of principles, you get the fulness of the gospel for this reason: If you really believe so as to have faith in our Eternal Father and in his Son, Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, and will hear him, you will learn ail about what is needed to be done for the salvation of the living and redemption of the dead.

. (General Conference Report, April 1922, pp. 27-28.)

And inasmuch as mine enemies come against you ... ye shall curse them; And whomsoever ye curse, I will curse, and ye shall avenge me of mine enemies (Doctrine and Covenants, 103:24-25)

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherofJared View Post

Three. The same as the Bible.
          Seem like Mormons do not love their Jesus-God in light of this set of verses.

Mark 12:29-30 (NKJV)

29 Jesus answered him, “The [a]first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lordyour God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ [b]This is the first commandment.

One God in which to direct out Love.. Mormons with their three God must pretend to love
          the Father, but then neglect to love Christ and the Holy Spirit..

Comment

Originally posted by jamesone5 View Post

29 Jesus answered him, “The [a]first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lordyour God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ [b]This is the first commandment.

One God in which to direct out Love.. Mormons with their three God must pretend to love
            And worship only the Father, correct? Yet the BoM says to worship Christ, if I am not mistaken.

James check your inbox please.
            "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
            "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
            "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
            "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
            "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

This is true. The meaning of the Hebrew word 'echad' in the Shma indicates a unity or compound unity. This is the way that God is Self defined. Historical records of the ECFs show conclusively that they didn't teach polytheism, and since they guarded the teachings of the apostles, then it is obvious that none of the apostles (including Paul) taught polytheism either. By extension, this would mean that Jesus never taught the Mormon anathema of polytheism either. Polytheism is an obvious distortion (as well as an intentional deception) concerning many of the scriptural texts that Mormons are infamous for attempting to impose on the texts. The trouble with this tactic is that Mormons, like db, are purposely running away from what the BoM teaches. The BoM in no way supports the polytheistic anathema of the SLC LDS sect.

It's nearly impossible for Mormons on this sub-forum to give an honest or correct rendering of so many of the scriptural verses that they tend to misinterpret or misuse. As a former Mormon, I once had that mania too; but my Father in heaven cured of that malady.

"You have just constructed a straw man so large you could burn it in the desert and hold an annoying festival around it"

"One's personal world view can be so powerful that it blinds them to any evidence that contradicts it"

Comment

Are you referring to this verse?

Psalm 82:1 --King James Version (KJV) 1God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
                So--can there be other gods, and the theology pawned here be true?

ALL three Persons in the Godhead are clearly called "God"
                Then, if the Three are all distinct Persons--then the Three are distinct as Gods.

--yet the Bible repeatedly says that "God is One" or "there is no God but one" or something similar. Ergo, the Triune Godhead. Take ALL of the Bible and what it says into consideration, and do not isolate verses.
                So--Let's do:

1 Corinthians 8:6---King James Version (KJV)
                6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 2:5--King James Version (KJV)
                5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 4:4-6--King James Version (KJV)
                4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
                5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
                6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

1 Peter 1:3---King James Version (KJV)
                3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

John 20:17---King James Version (KJV)
                17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Ephesians 1:17---King James Version (KJV)
                17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Hebrews 1:9---King James Version (KJV)
                9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

How do you collate that to the OT language?

Comment

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post Would that be this one?

1 Corinthians 8:6---King James Version (KJV)
                  6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 2:5--King James Version (KJV)
                  5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 4:4-6--King James Version (KJV)
                  4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
                  5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
                  6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Perhaps you could engage this for us?

Psalm 82:1 --King James Version (KJV)
                  1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

John 10:34-35 ---King James Version (KJV)
                  34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
                  35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
                  We have already discussed these verses umpteen times on here--several of us have--but you almost never deal with our points or answer our questions about them.
                  The discussion of the above points usually narrows to exactly what one can find in your above post, IE--"We have already discussed these verses umpteen times on here..."

Care to engage the above scriptures--and relate to us how you employ them in your explanation of their reality?

Comment

That seems like a kinda void argument, seeing the LDS named their church after Jesus Christ, IE--

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Comment

• Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

That seems like a kinda void argument, seeing the LDS named their church after Jesus Christ, IE--

Seem all your Church is is a bunch of FALSE CLAIMS. Should the Name you CLAIM for your Chruch be any different?

Comment

Um, no...
                        YOUR argument is the "kinda void argument".

Answer me this... If a Muslim Imam named his mosque, "The mosque of Jesus Christ", would that make the Muslims Christian?

Sheesh.
                        "We are not to understand the other side; we are to discuss to expound the truth." -- A misguided apologist
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        "The Law is a storm which wrecks your hopes of self-salvation,
                        but washes you upon the Rock of Ages."
                        -- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comment

• Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post
                          Um, no...
                          YOUR argument is the "kinda void argument".

Answer me this... If a Muslim Imam named his mosque, "The mosque of Jesus Christ", would that make the Muslims Christian?

Sheesh.
                          Does that same standard apply to your prayers as well? When you pray to Jesus Christ can we assume that’s just as meaningless as you say our use of the name is?

Comment

• Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post That seems like a kinda void argument, seeing the LDS named their church after Jesus Christ, IE--

Seem all your Church is is a bunch of FALSE CLAIMS. Should the Name you CLAIM for your Chruch be any different?
                            The LDS don't believe the name of Jesus Christ is false, but no other name other than Jesus Christ--- a man can be saved by.

Comment

• Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post That seems like a kinda void argument, seeing the LDS named their church after Jesus Christ, IE--

Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post
                              Um, no... YOUR argument is the "kinda void argument".

It may make them appear more Christian than those who don't name their church after the name of Jesus Christ.

For me--a claim of being a Christian church--and not even naming their church after the only name a man can be saved through--has it's anomalies.

Acts 4:10-12-- King James Version (KJV) 10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
                              11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
                              12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Comment

The LDS don't believe the name of Jesus Christ is false, but no other name other than Jesus Christ--- a man can be saved by.
                                But Joseph Smith's claims are false.on the way to supposedly get to your other Christ.

Hinkely resolved that---you worship a different Christ.

Comment

Working...
                                X