Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Spalding MANUSCRIPTS in the plural, got it Mormons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone pointed out to antis that a multi-page manuscript document could have been described as manuscripts?
    A useful lie would not be against God..Satan can completely assume human form-we may lie with the Devil in the shape of a woman..women may think that a man is in bed with them yet ’tis the Devil; the result is an imp,half mortal,half devil (Luther)

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
      Did Spalding write One manuscript, or several? Undeniable proof from those who lived in that era, is that "Manuscript Found" was just one of several. For instance:

"The evidence is cumulative from this on, for many years. And now a surviving witness of those times has come to add testimony which ought to be final. Mr. James A. Briggs writes from Brooklyn to The Watchman of the 9th instant that in 1833-34 he was one of a self-appointed committee that met in Mentor, O., the former parish of the apostate Rigdon, and close to the "Zion" which the Saints had set up at Kirtland, to investigate the origin of the Book of Mormon. His article is long and interesting throughout; but the pith and point of it are in his first paragraph as follows: "We had the manuscripts of Rev. Solomon Spaulding before us [italics ours], that we compared with the Mormon Bible; and we had no doubt that from Spaulding's writings Rev. Sidney Rigdon got up the Mormon Bible." This conclusion he supports by a lengthy recital of facts and arguments that cannot be broken. He has a copy of the Honolulu find, as printed at Lamoni, and [avers] emphatically that "this is not a copy of the 'Manuscript Found, of Solomon Spaulding."

The deceitful Mormon claim that they have "Manuscript Found," written by Spalding is spurious. The have "A" manuscript, and that is all. So tired of having to deal with the deceit of this horrendous cult. There is evidence that "Manuscript Found" was sold to the Mormons by Hurlbut. I wouldn't be surprised. The Oberlain manuscript is "Manuscript Story," not "Manuscript Found."

see: http://www.truthandgrace.com/1886MCHerald0916.htm
      There never was any other Solomon manuscript, other than the one testified to by Matilda Davison, Solomon Spaulding's widow--which she testified Philastus Hurlbert removed from her "hair trunk" and took back to Palmyra. That very manuscript, found in 1884, by L.L. Rice-- was the very one Hurlbert remove from the hair trunk--as Philastus Hurlbut's signature was found on the back of the manuscript--and can be verified to this day.

One other note here--anyone who wrote the Solomon Spaulding manuscript would not be capable of writing a book as complicated as the Book of Mormon. As L.L. Rice testified to--and any would, who have read the Solomon Spaulding manuscript---any 12 year old boy could write a better story than the Solomon Spaulding manuscript--and couch it in far better English.

Comment

Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
        Has anyone pointed out to antis that a multi-page manuscript document could have been described as manuscripts?
        So a book manuscript made up of 400 pages is 400 manuscripts, and not one?
        "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
        "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
        “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
        "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
        "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

400 loose pages can be referred to as writing, as writings, as a manuscript, or as manuscripts regardless of the content. A book of 400 pages is usually referred to as a book even if it is a collection of multiple books and letters in a single volume.

Comment

Originally posted by JustaLurker View Post

400 loose pages can be referred to as writing, as writings, as a manuscript, or as manuscripts regardless of the content. A book of 400 pages is usually referred to as a book even if it is a collection of multiple books and letters in a single volume.
            A manuscript is described as the handwritten pages of a book--singular--prior to publishing. A book is made up of multiple pages, But that doesn't mean one book is multiple manuscripts.

This is just a feeble attempt to discredit what is in the OP.
            "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
            "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
            “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
            "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
            "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

Comment

For those who actually research things and aren't just born "experts" on everything, I am linking to a PDF written by the authors of The Spalding Enigma," responding to Mormon criticism. On page 28 onward, the subject of the number of manuscripts Spalding wrote is addressed, and affidavits are posted.

link: http://thedigitalvoice.com/enigma/pd...20rebuttal.pdf

What are the chances, folks, that a man like Spalding who wrote one romance would never write another? But that's what the Mormon cult wants us to believe........and frankly, we all know that the Mormons will believe what they are told regardless of the fact that the assertion is CHILDISH.
              Hey Catherine, I read the document, and I’ve seen thier massive PowerPoint library that the three people put together.

I just don’t know where you are on which document Joseph allegedly plagiaraized from.

Do you think he used Manuscript Lost/Found, or Manuscript Story?

Or do you subscribe to a theory that he used another manuscript that is really lost?

It’s just really unclear what you believe here.

Comment

To 19th-century yokels with average educations?

Definitely.
                A useful lie would not be against God..Satan can completely assume human form-we may lie with the Devil in the shape of a woman..women may think that a man is in bed with them yet ’tis the Devil; the result is an imp,half mortal,half devil (Luther)

Comment

A manuscript is described as.... the handwritten pages of a book--singular--prior to publishing. A book is made up of multiple pages, But that doesn't mean one book is multiple manuscripts.

This is just a feeble attempt to discredit what is in the OP.
                  Seriously? Thatís the only way one can describe a manuscript?

A guitar is made of wood. If it isnít made of wood it cannot possibly be a guitar.

Comment

Seriously? That’s the only way one can describe a manuscript?

A guitar is made of wood. If it isn’t made of wood it cannot possibly be a guitar.
                    Frankly, I don't believe that anybody who alters posts deserves a response. Look, folks, at what this Mormon did to Bonnie's posts.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
                      Hey Catherine, I read the document, and I’ve seen thier massive PowerPoint library that the three people put together.

I just don’t know where you are on which document Joseph allegedly plagiaraized from.

Do you think he used Manuscript Lost/Found, or Manuscript Story?

Or do you subscribe to a theory that he used another manuscript that is really lost?

It’s just really unclear what you believe here.
                      If you read the books, and don't just spout stuff from FAIR, you'd know that the affidavits indicate it was "Mauscript Found" which mentioned Nephites and Zarahemla. The Oberlin College manuscript by Spalding is "Manuscript Story." So, you go figure.

Comment

If you read the books, and don't just spout stuff from FAIR, you'd know that the affidavits indicate it was "Mauscript Found" which mentioned Nephites and Zarahemla. The Oberlin College manuscript by Spalding is "Manuscript Story." So, you go figure.
                        Whenever you find any such manuscript with the terms "Nephites" and "Zarahemla"--please let us know.

Comment

I cannot believe it! If you know anything about the writing methods used in the early 19th century, you'll see that they didn't write everything on similar paper, but whatever was available: foolscap, etc. . Furthermore, they didn't use three ring binders. However, each group of papers which were part of the same story, were a manuscript, regardless if the paper was loose, of different sizes, or whatever. Furthermore, a published manuscript is referred to as a "book," and it was Rigdon that stole Spalding's manuscript from the print shop. Spalding had wanted it published as a book. The proof you'll find in "The Spalding Enigma" book. Read it.
                          Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 09-17-18, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

Whenever you find any such manuscript with the terms "Nephites" and "Zarahemla"--please let us know.
                            Well, dberrie, whenever you find anything in the Bible saying "Satan is a real god" let us know too. By the way, the affidavits taken mention Nephites, Lehi, and Zarahemla. Why not read them? By the way, Spalding's own brother was outraged at the plagiarism.
                            Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 09-17-18, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I’ll be happy to read the Spaulding manuscript that you claim is the source of the Book of Mormon. Where can I access that?
                              I don't know - It may be buried under a large rock in Palmyra, NY. There's some kind of white salamander hanging out there.

Comment

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

You realize that many believe Hurlbut needed money and sold it to your cult. If that is true, I doubt it's in existence. We all know what Mormons do with truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X