• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JustaLurker
    started a topic Mormons are accused of being arrogant

Mormons are accused of being arrogant

To reiterate the charges:
    1. We’re arrogant because we claim to have the only true Church.

It isn’t universal but most people think their theology is the correct one and that all the others are less correct. Y’all certainly don’t shy away from telling us that your beliefs are the Truth, that Mormonism is wrong, and if we don’t drop ours and adopt yours we will end up in hell.

2. We are arrogant because we think we will be gods.

That is a part of our theology but there’s no exclusivity explicit or implied. Being a member of the Church doesn’t get you to heaven and not being a member doesn’t bar you from it (any and all levels of heaven including the highest). In fact, we go to great lengths and great expense to secure that opportunity for everyone, even people we don’t know, even people who hate us, even y’all. It might be arrogant for a man to see himself as headed for exaltation while all his fellows are headed for something less but there’s no arrogance in seeing oneself headed for an exaltation that he believes is readily available to everyone.

3. We are called arrogant for claiming to have the Priesthood of God that no other organization has.

Again, that is a tenet of our faith but that Priesthood is open to all men everywhere who are willing to qualify themselves. And having qualified themselves the Priesthood gives them nothing. There is no value in the Priesthood to the one who holds it. The Priesthood is of value only to those around him.

As an example, I carry around a shovel that I’m never allowed to put to my own use. Anytime I see anyone in need of shoveling, I’m ready. Car stuck in the snow? I’ll shovel that out for you. No, I can’t lend you the shovel. I have to do the shoveling myself. Camping and need a latrine dug? I have a shovel. Flood left your basement full of mud? I have a shovel. Now, if my own basement is full of mud I can’t use my shovel. Doesn’t work. I have to call some other guy with a shovel and have him help me out, have him shovel my basement, dig out my car, dig my latrine.

I cannot give myself a blessing. I can only use the Priesthood to bless others. I cannot enrich myself through the Priesthood. I cannot exercise control over others by virtue of the Priesthood (I can try but it isn’t going to get me anywhere). And since the Priesthood is available to anyone who is willing to qualify himself, I can’t even hold myself up as some paragon or vaunt myself as “an instrument of God”. I may be an instrument of God but so is everyone else.

Hey, I can baptize. So can the twelve year old across the street. I can anoint and bless the sick so that they can miraculously recover. That’s nice but it isn’t the anointing and blessing that creates the miracle. It’s faith. I can.... I .... I can, by virtue of the Priesthood, serve my fellow man as Christ instructed us to do. Having qualified myself and holding the Priesthood I can serve others more and serve them better. And if that was your goal, then it isn’t arrogance.

I listed 3. If there are lines that you think I should have added to the list please add them. List yours as number 4. Or 5. Or whatever number we get up to.

• oceancoast
    replied
    Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post

Does that cover family members?

Yep
    Do you practice that?
    Yep.. I try

Joseph Smith was not only a nitwit, he was a demon-inspired false prophet. And I surely wish that if I was a Mormon, someone would tell me the truth about such a evil man.
    Luke 6:31? I guess not.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by oceancoast View Post
    nitwit?
    Luke 6:31?
    Does that cover family members? Do you practice that? Joseph Smith was not only a nitwit, he was a demon-inspired false prophet. And I surely wish that if I was a Mormon, someone would tell me the truth about such a evil man.

Leave a comment:

• oceancoast
    replied
    Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post

Oh, do you consider it to be inspired? But by who, would be the question. I say it is Satanic! Prove otherwise. Your nitwit "prophet" rewrote Genesis to include a prophecy about himself. And, I can hardly believe that grown men can't see through such a puerile sham.
    nitwit?
    Luke 6:31?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

because he DIDN'T the JST is not a Re-write. Sad that you don't understand that.
    Oh, do you consider it to be inspired? But by who, would be the question. I say it is Satanic! Prove otherwise. Your nitwit "prophet" rewrote Genesis to include a prophecy about himself. And, I can hardly believe that grown men can't see through such a puerile sham.
    Last edited by Catherine Aurelia; 10-26-18, 03:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oceancoast
    replied
    Originally posted by Magdalena View Post

Why did you deny Smith's attempt to re-write the Bible?
    because he DIDN'T the JST is not a Re-write. Sad that you don't understand that.

Leave a comment:

• Magdalena
    replied

You finally figured that out?
    Why did you deny Smith's attempt to re-write the Bible?

Leave a comment:

• oceancoast
    replied

And Denial is not a river in Egypt.
    You finally figured that out?

Leave a comment:

• Magdalena
    replied

That's funny.. I don't recall Joseph Smith re-wrote the Bible.. My LDS Bible is the KJV.. same as other bibles.
    And Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Leave a comment:

• oceancoast
    replied
    Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

No. Mormonism take verses out of context, and fails to consider the rest of Scripture, and instead isolates scriptures it thinks agrees with its a priori. To bolster its heretical and often blasphemous beliefs.
    False , Mormons do no such thing.. but AntiMormons here do that ALL the TIME.

And 4th century orthodoxy-- the go-to topic some in Mormonism drag into a discussion, as a distraction technique--has nothing to do with this discussion. Please focus.
    Yes, please focus.. the 4th century orthodoxy played a HUGE role in the form of Christianity you claim is truth and Jesus revealed to Joseph Smith as being an abomination in his sight.. So yes, understanding that in context is central to what Mormonism is.

Leave a comment:

• oceancoast
    replied
    Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post

Wow...

A Mormon who admits that he is ignorant of Mormonism.
    Allow me to edumacate you:

"Selections from the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible":
    https://www.lds.org/scriptures/jst?lang=eng

Disclaimer: Joseph Smith was 100% IGNORANT of the Hebrew and Greek, and couldn't even RECOGNIZE the languages when he saw them.
    Let me edumacate you: that isn't a "RE-WRITE".

Leave a comment:

• Theo1689
    replied

That's funny.. I don't recall Joseph Smith re-wrote the Bible.. My LDS Bible is the KJV.. same as other bibles.
    Wow...

A Mormon who admits that he is ignorant of Mormonism.
    Allow me to edumacate you:

"Selections from the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible":
    https://www.lds.org/scriptures/jst?lang=eng

Disclaimer: Joseph Smith was 100% IGNORANT of the Hebrew and Greek, and couldn't even RECOGNIZE the languages when he saw them.

Leave a comment:

• Bonnie
    replied

We don't take it out of context. We simply don't follow the context of the dogma of the 4th century.. We look at the entirety of scripture as a whole and in it's proper historical context, rather than a man made context force to fit a 4th century dogma.
    No. Mormonism take verses out of context, and fails to consider the rest of Scripture, and instead isolates scriptures it thinks agrees with its a priori. To bolster its heretical and often blasphemous beliefs.

And 4th century orthodoxy-- the go-to topic some in Mormonism drag into a discussion, as a distraction technique--has nothing to do with this discussion. Please focus.

Leave a comment:

• oceancoast
    replied

Yeah, that's probably why Joseph Smith felt like he had to re-write the Bible.

Leave a comment:

• Magdalena
    replied

We don't take it out of context. We simply don't follow the context of the dogma of the 4th century.. We look at the entirety of scripture as a whole and in it's proper historical context, rather than a man made context force to fit a 4th century dogma.
    Yeah, that's probably why Joseph Smith felt like he had to re-write the Bible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X