Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

BoM passages that refute henotheism or monolatry.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoM passages that refute henotheism or monolatry.

About 76 BC

Alma 19:29

29 And it came to pass that she went and took the queen by the hand, that perhaps she might raise her from the ground; and as soon as she touched her hand she arose and stood upon her feet, and cried with a loud voice, saying: O blessed Jesus, who has saved me from an awful hell! O blessed God, have mercy on this people!

About 34 AD 3 Nephi 17:10

10 And they did all, both they who had been healed and they who were whole, bow down at his feet, and did worship him; and as many as could come for the multitude did kiss his feet, insomuch that they did bathe his feet with their tears.

In The BoM, it appears that Jesus was worshiped too!
    "You have just constructed a straw man so large you could burn it in the desert and hold an annoying festival around it"

"One's personal world view can be so powerful that it blinds them to any evidence that contradicts it"

Originally posted by desertscout View Post
    About 76 BC

29 And it came to pass that she went and took the queen by the hand, that perhaps she might raise her from the ground; and as soon as she touched her hand she arose and stood upon her feet, and cried with a loud voice, saying: O blessed Jesus, who has saved me from an awful hell! O blessed God, have mercy on this people!

10 And they did all, both they who had been healed and they who were whole, bow down at his feet, and did worship him; and as many as could come for the multitude did kiss his feet, insomuch that they did bathe his feet with their tears.

From Bruce R McConkies Mormon Doctrine

Henotheism
    See ATHEISM, DEISM, GOD, MONOTHEISM, POLYTHEISM, THEISM. Henotheism is the belief in and worship of one God without at the same time denying that others can with equal truth worship different gods. It is falsely taught in the sectarian world that Abraham, for instance, was a henotheist that is, that he worshiped the Almighty, but that at the same time he considered that other nations could worship their own gods with equally beneficial results. This apostate view is erroneously considered to be one step advanced from polytheism and one step behind the final type of monotheism that was in process of evolving.

And inasmuch as mine enemies come against you ... ye shall curse them; And whomsoever ye curse, I will curse, and ye shall avenge me of mine enemies (Doctrine and Covenants, 103:24-25)

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanhoe View Post

Henotheism
      See ATHEISM, DEISM, GOD, MONOTHEISM, POLYTHEISM, THEISM. Henotheism is the belief in and worship of one God without at the same time denying that others can with equal truth worship different gods. It is falsely taught in the sectarian world that Abraham, for instance, was a henotheist that is, that he worshiped the Almighty, but that at the same time he considered that other nations could worship their own gods with equally beneficial results. This apostate view is erroneously considered to be one step advanced from polytheism and one step behind the final type of monotheism that was in process of evolving.
      I agree, especially given that early rabbis noticed that there was a Yahweh in the Tanakh that could never be seen and another visitation of Yahweh that was physical and tangible. The rabbis did not considered that view to be anything other than monotheism, because both hypostases were considered to be Yahweh. The Christian view of these appearances is that they represented preincarnate appearances of Jesus. The late Alan F. Segal explained this 'two powers' view thoroughly in his book, Two Powers in Heaven, which supported the 2nd century rabinnical decision to declare the two powers belief a heresy for 2nd century rabinnical Judasim due to pressures from Christianity and Gnosticism. There is no doubt that current Mormon theology is Gnostic in nature, and that it has nothing to do with historical Christianity
      "You have just constructed a straw man so large you could burn it in the desert and hold an annoying festival around it"

"One's personal world view can be so powerful that it blinds them to any evidence that contradicts it"

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanhoe View Post

Henotheism
        One of best explanations of the Trinity

https://i.imgur.com/rt1vIXM.jpg
        And inasmuch as mine enemies come against you ... ye shall curse them; And whomsoever ye curse, I will curse, and ye shall avenge me of mine enemies (Doctrine and Covenants, 103:24-25)

Comment

About 76 BC

These are not the only instances in the Book of Mormon (and in other scriptures of the Church) that talk about worshipping Jesus. There are more:

1 Nephi 11:

24 And after he had said these words, he said unto me: Look! And I looked, and I beheld the Son of God going forth among the children of men; and I saw many fall down at his feet and worship him.

2 Nephi 25:

29 And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out.

3 Nephi 11:

17 Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God! And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus, and did worship him.

3 Nephi 17:

D&C 29:

1 Listen to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, the Great I Am, whose arm of mercy hath atoned for your sins;
          2 Who will gather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, even as many as will hearken to my voice and humble themselves before me, and call upon me in mighty prayer.

D&C 101:

22 Behold, it is my will, that all they who call on my name, and worship me according to mine everlasting gospel, should gather together, and stand in holy places;

D&C 115:

8 Therefore, I command you to build a house unto me, for the gathering together of my saints, that they may worship me.

The D&C quotes all refer to Jesus Christ. The are about worshipping Jesus, as are the Book of Mormon quotes.
          zerinus
          Keep Calm!
          I am a Mormon!

Comment

Originally posted by zerinus View Post

These are not the only instances in the Book of Mormon (and in other scriptures of the Church) that talk about worshipping Jesus. There are more:

1 Nephi 11:

24 And after he had said these words, he said unto me: Look! And I looked, and I beheld the Son of God going forth among the children of men; and I saw many fall down at his feet and worship him.

2 Nephi 25:

29 And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out.

3 Nephi 11:

17 Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God! And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus, and did worship him.

3 Nephi 17:

D&C 29:

1 Listen to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, the Great I Am, whose arm of mercy hath atoned for your sins;
            2 Who will gather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, even as many as will hearken to my voice and humble themselves before me, and call upon me in mighty prayer.

D&C 101:

22 Behold, it is my will, that all they who call on my name, and worship me according to mine everlasting gospel, should gather together, and stand in holy places;

D&C 115:

8 Therefore, I command you to build a house unto me, for the gathering together of my saints, that they may worship me.

The D&C quotes all refer to Jesus Christ. The are about worshipping Jesus, as are the Book of Mormon quotes.
            Prayer and Worship of Jesus

Comment

1 Nephi 11:

2 Nephi 25:

3 Nephi 11:

3 Nephi 17:

D&C 29:

D&C 101:

D&C 115:

Thanx for all the above passages that add to the topic of this thread. This would make any claims of henotheism and monolatry rather moot, no?

Comment

Thanx for all the above passages that add to the topic of this thread. This would make any claims of henotheism and monolatry rather moot, no?
                No idea what those have anything to do with it.
                zerinus
                Keep Calm!
                I am a Mormon!

Comment

No idea what those have anything to do with it.
                  Some Mormons on this sub-forum claim henotheism or monolatry as their form of 'worship' in an effort to run from Mormonism's inherent polytheism.

Comment

Some Mormons on this sub-forum claim henotheism or monolatry as their form of 'worship' in an effort to run from Mormonism's inherent polytheism.
                    Still don't know what you are talking about.
                    zerinus
                    Keep Calm!
                    I am a Mormon!

Comment

No doubt!

Comment

Below is what another Mormon had to offer on this subject:

oceancoast replied
                        Non Sequitur.. You apparently don't read well at all yourself. What part of the question , "you then can agree the proper context of the Bible is a context of monolatry?" escaped your comprehension? Monolatry means the worship of ONE God only... while allowing the existence of other gods... You say here "I said that THERE ARE ANY NUMBER OF "gods"" Which AFFIRMS you belief that their are ANY NUMBER OF 'gods'.. but you agree only ONE is to be worshiped. That is by definition monolatry

Comment

Below is what another Mormon had to offer on this subject:

oceancoast replied
                          Non Sequitur.. You apparently don't read well at all yourself. What part of the question , "you then can agree the proper context of the Bible is a context of monolatry?" escaped your comprehension? Monolatry means the worship of ONE God only... while allowing the existence of other gods... You say here "I said that THERE ARE ANY NUMBER OF "gods"" Which AFFIRMS you belief that their are ANY NUMBER OF 'gods'.. but you agree only ONE is to be worshiped. That is by definition monolatry
                          Sorry, I am not following either quote, and I still don't know what you are talking about.
                          zerinus
                          Keep Calm!
                          I am a Mormon!

Comment

Working...
                          X