Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

All the Changes the Mormon Cult is Undergoing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the Changes the Mormon Cult is Undergoing

Are the Mormon leaders trying to make Mormonism more like Christianity on the surface? It appears so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUxCJHYPqHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpDcPyBNIP0

When you're trying to trick people into thinking something is "the real thing," when it isn't, you will at least try to make it similar to the genuine article. It seems to me that the "one true cult" has to model itself on what it calls "the apostate churches." Ha!

Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Originally posted by Catherine Aurelia View Post
    Are the Mormon leaders trying to make Mormonism more like Christianity on the surface? It appears so:

When you're trying to trick people into thinking something is "the real thing," when it isn't, you will at least try to make it similar to the genuine article. It seems to me that the "one true cult" has to model itself on what it calls "the apostate churches." Ha!
    That's ABSOLUTELY the reason for the "Rebranding" process. It'll fool nobody.

Comment

You might want to consider that the primary audience for Russel M Nelson consists of the membership of the Church, more specifically the dedicated and participative subset of that membership who attend General Conferences. You can characterize the latest council as “rebranding” if you like but the target audience tells us that he is working very hard to remind the Mormons who it is that they follow, to whom they owe their allegiance, and that they need ato develope a deeper respect for even the name of Christ.

How is that a bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

That's ABSOLUTELY the reason for the "Rebranding" process. It'll fool nobody.
        Of course it won't fool anybody, and making the cult look like some Methodist prayer meeting won't attract a soul - might as well call it "The Bland Church of Joseph Smith."
        Christian scholar John MacArthur about Mormonism: “Mormonism is wrong in epic proportions.”

Comment

Of course it won't fool anybody, and making the cult look like some Methodist prayer meeting won't attract a soul - might as well call it "The Bland Church of Joseph Smith."
          Oh, make up your mind. Are we evil satan worshiping baby killing cultists who spend our lives seeking out financial and moral controversy, committing all manner of sins and....????

Or are we too bland to be interesting?

Really, CA. pick a line and pull on it. This is looking really silly.
          Cet animal est très méchant,
          Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Translation: "This animal is very bad; when you attack it, it defends itself."

Comment

Of course it won't fool anybody, ...."
            Then I guess no one will be joining the church, if your assertion is correct.
            If a couple hundred thousand people DO get baptized in the next 12-month period, then either:

You were wrong about it not fooling anyone, or
            There was no attempt to FOOL anyone, and the people who will have joined the church, did so with their eyes wide open.
            I wonder what the next 12 months will reveal....
            ...whenever a person's religious conversation dwells... on the faults of other people's religions, he is in a bad condition-C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by JustaLurker View Post

You might want to consider that the primary audience for Russel M Nelson consists of the membership of the Church, more specifically the dedicated and participative subset of that membership who attend General Conferences. You can characterize the latest council as “rebranding” if you like but the target audience tells us that he is working very hard to remind the Mormons who it is that they follow, to whom they owe their allegiance, and that they need ato develope a deeper respect for even the name of Christ.

How is that a bad thing?
              Is that why Christ was not on Nelson's list of things mormon families should emphasize in their homes?
              ~ There is life after mormonism, and it's good! Just stay close to Christ.
              ~ You can't follow Christ and false prophets at the same time.
              ~ "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Comment

https://baptistnews.com/article/bapt.../#.W9qqBy3MzaY

He suggests, however that “there is a gradual but discernable shift taking place in the LDS Church” away from the extremely harsh view of all non-Mormon churches of bygone days and toward “a greater generosity toward non-Mormons of good will who have a real chance at eternal salvation.”

“There is no doubt in my mind but that something is going on in the LDS Church and Mormonism in general that constitutes a gradual but discernable shift away from those doctrines most anti-Mormon Christian critics like to highlight toward a somewhat more biblical and even evangelical account of Christ and salvation,” Olson said.

Based on that shift, Olson said: “I can envision someday the LDS Church evolving into a Christian denomination. For now, though, I consider it an alternative religion rooted in Christianity but also rooted, unfortunately, in Joseph Smith’s and Brigham Young’s fantasies.”
                3 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by CatholicScripture View Post
                  https://baptistnews.com/article/bapt.../#.W9qqBy3MzaY

He suggests, however that "there is a gradual but discernable shift taking place in the LDS Church" away from the extremely harsh view of all non-Mormon churches of bygone days and toward "a greater generosity toward non-Mormons of good will who have a real chance at eternal salvation."

"There is no doubt in my mind but that something is going on in the LDS Church and Mormonism in general that constitutes a gradual but discernable shift away from those doctrines most anti-Mormon Christian critics like to highlight toward a somewhat more biblical and even evangelical account of Christ and salvation," Olson said.

Based on that shift, Olson said: "I can envision someday the LDS Church evolving into a Christian denomination. For now, though, I consider it an alternative religion rooted in Christianity but also rooted, unfortunately, in Joseph Smith's and Brigham Young's fantasies."
                  3 years ago...
                  I think that Roger Olson is well intentioned; but a little shortsighted. The mistake that he (and others like him) make is that they overlook the centrality of the Book of Mormon to the faith. Mormonism would be nothing without the Book of Mormon; and as long as it adheres to the Book of Mormon, it can never be merged into the "mainstream" of the Christian thought. It will always remain a class by itself. You can't detach Mormonism from the Book of Mormo; and you cannot attach Mormonism to the mainstream of Christian experience as long as it is attached to the Book of Mormon. The two simply don't go together.
                  Last edited by zerinus; 11-01-18, 06:56 AM.
                  zerinus
                  Keep Calm!
                  I am a Mormon!

Comment

Gee, you'd think that since they are the "one true church on the face of the earth, and led by a supposed living prophet" that they would get it right the first time.

Comment

Gee, you'd think that since they are the "one true church on the face of the earth, and led by a supposed living prophet" that they would get it right the first time.
                      Really? The Jews were God’s chosen people. I don’t recall them “getting it right the first time”. In fact, I recall only a single group of men ever completely “getting it right”.

Comment

Originally posted by CatholicScripture View Post
                        Plus, they still say that the Roman Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon. Do you consider the RC Church to be in that classification, especially after Vatican II?

Comment

Originally posted by JustaLurker View Post

Really? The Jews were God’s chosen people. I don’t recall them “getting it right the first time”. In fact, I recall only a single group of men ever completely “getting it right”.
                          Read the Bible: Romans 11:7 "7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded."

Comment

Plus, they still say that the Roman Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon. Do you consider the RC Church to be in that classification, especially after Vatican II?
                            We do?

Kindly prove that 'we still say' anything of the sort, if you please. Be very careful in your sources:

Do not use any source that has been disavowed by the church ("The Seer," etc.)
                            Do not use any source that is older than, say, 20 years.
                            Do not use any source (like "Mormon Doctrine") whose author was told to remove the rhetoric you want to use to illustrate your point, because that rhetoric and position was inaccurate (remember, your claim is that we STILL SAY this, as in right this minute).

Do not use any source that depends upon YOUR interpretation, rather than ours, where there is a difference. It is, after all, what WE think something means that counts, when dealing with what we believe and teach.

Given the above, g'head. Show us where we 'still say that the Roman Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.'

For that matter, show us where the church has EVER officially taught this, or that, if said by some leader, where that leader wasn't set straight.

Be my guest. You are also welcome to use all your time for the next little while in researching this. It would be good for all of us if you did.
                            Cet animal est très méchant,
                            Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Translation: "This animal is very bad; when you attack it, it defends itself."

Comment

Originally posted by dianaiad View Post

We do?

Kindly prove that 'we still say' anything of the sort, ....
                              Has she gotten back to you with evidence that supports her accusation?

Not yet?

Oh, well, she is probably sending the requested evidence right now, and it will appear in a moment.. Right?
                              ...whenever a person's religious conversation dwells... on the faults of other people's religions, he is in a bad condition-C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X