Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

In the LDS church, is the blood of Christ Jesus insufficient?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the LDS church, is the blood of Christ Jesus insufficient?

The following is from a Facebook article, so I cannot link to it, but it does give a reference:

The Mormon Jesus is not sufficient to be our Savior, (“What the Mormons think of Christ,” p. 22), as it reads, "Christians speak often of the blood of Christ and its cleansing power. Much that is believed and taught on this subject, however, is such utter nonsense and so palpably false that to believe it is to lose one’s salvation. For instance, many believe or pretend to believe that if we confess Christ with our lips and avow that we accept him as our personal savior, we are thereby saved. They say that his blood, without any other act than mere belief, makes us clean.”
    The "What the Mormons Think of Jesus" is the only reference given for this quote. It is a booklet by Bruce McConkie.

And yet what does Paul write?

Romans 10:8-10 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 [a]that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, [b]resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, [c]resulting in salvation.
    Yet, without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sins. And Jesus' shed blood purifies us from our sin, when we believe and trust in Him only for salvation, great and free:

Hebrews 9:14

how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
    And

(I John 1:6-9, NASB) God Is Light

5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    So, is this pamphlet accurate? Does the LDS church teach that faith in Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice for our sins isn't enough to save us fully? It appears to be so, as the following from President Kimball states:

"One of the most FALLACIOUS doctrines originated BY *SATAN* [!!] and propounded by MAN is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation"
    - 12th Prophet Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p.206; cited in the official LDS/Mormon Church's The Book of Mormon Student Manual, religion 121 and 122., p. 36, 1996 edition.
    Of course, Kimball may be referring to FULL "salvation" which, in the LDS church, is exaltation to Godhood and to become creators of worlds. But nowhere is this "exaltation" as described in Mormon doctrines found in the Bible. Instead, Jesus says:

Matthew 25:33-34 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
    ONE KINGDOM--one, not three. The Kingdom of God/Heaven. Which is being with Jesus forever in heaven.

John 14:3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

3 If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.
    One place, not three, or many. ONE. And heaven is being with Jesus forever.

"I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
    "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
    "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
    The following is from a Facebook article, so I cannot link to it, but it does give a reference:

The Mormon Jesus is not sufficient to be our Savior, (“What the Mormons think of Christ,” p. 22), as it reads, "Christians speak often of the blood of Christ and its cleansing power. Much that is believed and taught on this subject, however, is such utter nonsense and so palpably false that to believe it is to lose one’s salvation. For instance, many believe or pretend to believe that if we confess Christ with our lips and avow that we accept him as our personal savior, we are thereby saved. They say that his blood, without any other act than mere belief, makes us clean.”
    The "What the Mormons Think of Jesus" is the only reference given for this quote. It is a booklet by Bruce McConkie.
    "pretend to believe"?
    "mere belief"?

Look how McConkie misrepresents what Christians actually believe.
    We proclaim FAITH in Christ (which is trust), not "mere belief" (which could mean nothing more than believing that he existed).

If we misrepresented Mormonism this way, Mormons would throw the biggest hissy-fit imaginable, and we'd never hear the end of it.

And btw, why is McConkie (and as we will see, Kimball, as well as other Mormons) attacking Christianity?
    According to NRA-jeff's quote of C.S. Lewis, that must mean that THEIR Mormon faith is in really BAD shape, right?

Nope... Even (especially) LDS leaders know their doctrines are false and indefensible, which is why they can't defend them, and have to instead try to attack Christianity.

So, is this pamphlet accurate? Does the LDS church teach that faith in Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice for our sins isn't enough to save us fully? It appears to be so, as the following from President Kimball states:
    "One of the most FALLACIOUS doctrines originated BY *SATAN* [!!] and propounded by MAN is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation"
    - 12th Prophet Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p.206; cited in the official LDS/Mormon Church's The Book of Mormon Student Manual, religion 121 and 122., p. 36, 1996 edition.
    More attacking of Christianity, by trying to attribute it to "Satan".

And again, reference to "belief in Jesus Christ alone", rather than actual FAITH.

ONE KINGDOM--one, not three. The Kingdom of God/Heaven. Which is being with Jesus forever in heaven.

Yep...

The New Testament is Kryptonite to Mormons and Mormonism.

All the "not by works" passages...
    All the "only one God" passages...

No wonder the Mormons have to throw the entire Bible under the bus...
    Even though they try to use the handful of verses which they think support their false teachings...
    "We are not to understand the other side; we are to discuss to expound the truth." -- A misguided apologist
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The Law is a storm which wrecks your hopes of self-salvation,
    but washes you upon the Rock of Ages."
    -- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comment

Thanks, Theo. Very well put.

So, Paul was from Satan, eh?

Last edited by Bonnie; 12-04-18, 07:25 PM.
      "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
      "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
      "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post
        ...And btw, why is McConkie (and as we will see, Kimball, as well as other Mormons) attacking Christianity?
        According to NRA-jeff's quote of C.S. Lewis, that must mean that THEIR Mormon faith is in really BAD shape, right?
        You just misrepresented what Lewis said.

When the day comes that you can show that the religious conversation of McConkie (and Kimball, and any other Mormons you're accusing) consisted CHIEFLY of attacking other people's religious beliefs, then you may have a valid point.

Until then, well, you don't.
        ...whenever a person's religious conversation dwells... on the faults of other people's religions, he is in a bad condition-C.S. Lewis

Comment

And yet what does Paul write?

Yet, without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sins. And Jesus' shed blood purifies us from our sin, when we believe and trust in Him only for salvation, great and free:

And

Of course, Kimball may be referring to FULL "salvation" which, in the LDS church, is exaltation to Godhood and to become creators of worlds. But nowhere is this "exaltation" as described in Mormon doctrines found in the Bible. Instead, Jesus says:

Bonnie--I'm not understanding what your point is here. I would be glad to discuss it--but it's confusing, IMO--in the way you have couched it. I have no idea what you are attempting to convey.

So--what is your specific point?

Comment

Dberrie, it should be patently obvious, from the OP and especially the subject line, what "point" I am making. Theo had no problem figuring out. So, you should be able too, as well.

Comment

Dberrie, it should be patently obvious, from the OP and especially the subject line, what "point" I am making. Theo had no problem figuring out. So, you should be able too, as well.
              It’s not just dberrie. I don’t see it either.

The only thing I see is that you posted somebody’s opinion that Mormon theology concerning Christ is wrong. You didn’t even, as far as I can tell, delve into what particular doctrines were wrong or were wrong in what way.

If I grasped your point correctly then we’ll stipulate to it. Lots of people think our theology is wrong. More specifically, lots of Christians think our theology concerning the Savior is wrong.

That usually leads to a discussion about the particulars of what they think we get wrong and wrong in what way. If the conversation is adversarial it looks a lot like every conversational thread on these boards. If it is not adversarial it usually leads to better mutual respect and understanding, then to closer relationships, eventually to love for one another, and often to a conversion and a Mormon baptism (it’s extremely rare that the conversion goes the other way).

Comment

Originally posted by JustaLurker View Post

It’s not just dberrie. I don’t see it either.

The only thing I see is that you posted somebody’s opinion that Mormon theology concerning Christ is wrong. You didn’t even, as far as I can tell, delve into what particular doctrines were wrong or were wrong in what way.

If I grasped your point correctly then we’ll stipulate to it. Lots of people think our theology is wrong. More specifically, lots of Christians think our theology concerning the Savior is wrong.

That usually leads to a discussion about the particulars of what they think we get wrong and wrong in what way. If the conversation is adversarial it looks a lot like every conversational thread on these boards. If it is not adversarial it usually leads to better mutual respect and understanding, then to closer relationships, eventually to love for one another, and often to a conversion and a Mormon baptism (it’s extremely rare that the conversion goes the other way).
                It is in the subject line. It isn't about your theology being wrong in general, but in one specific place where it is wildly wrong. And WHY. And I quoted Bible verses that show that Mormon doctrine in this area is incorrect.

Please restate your third line. I think it was the victim of auto-correct.
                Last edited by Bonnie; 12-05-18, 03:11 PM.

Comment

It is in the subject line. It isn't about your theology being wrong in general, but in one specific place where it is wildly wrong. And WHY. And I quoted Bible verses that show that Mormon doctrine in this area is incorrect.

Please restate your third line. I think it was the victim of auto-correct.
                  The third line said that we are willing to stipulate to your point if your point is as I understood it. Stipulate to it means that we acknowledge that your point is valid and correct. There are lots of people that think our theology is wrong.

You did quote us several bible verses but that’s not sufficient. You might want to enunciate what Mormon doctrine you find unacceptable and what you find unacceptable about it. Then you provide the Bible verses to support your statements. If all you do is quote the Bible verses all you’ll get from us is a “thank you, we believe those verses, they are our scripture as well.”

Comment

Originally posted by JustaLurker View Post

The third line said that we are willing to stipulate to your point if your point is as I understood it. Stipulate to it means that we acknowledge that your point is valid and correct. There are lots of people that think our theology is wrong.

You did quote us several bible verses but that’s not sufficient. You might want to enunciate what Mormon doctrine you find unacceptable and what you find unacceptable about it. Then you provide the Bible verses to support your statements. If all you do is quote the Bible verses all you’ll get from us is a “thank you, we believe those verses, they are our scripture as well.”
                    Thank you. But it is in the subject line, what my point is.

So, Mormons believe what those Bible verses I quoted say...do they? Did the Mormon leaders I quoted also believe those verses?

Comment

It is in the subject line. It isn't about your theology being wrong in general, but in one specific place where it is wildly wrong. And WHY.
                      Which is????

Comment

Thank you. But it is in the subject line, what my point is.

So, Mormons believe what those Bible verses I quoted say...do they? Did the Mormon leaders I quoted also believe those verses?
                        I saw only a single quote from a Mormon leader, Spencer Kimball, and I can categorically state that I agree with his statement and we both agree with the Bible verses you provided.

Comment

Bonnie--the LDS believe the kingdom of God is one Kingdom. One place. That is where God and His Son dwell--and where eternal life exists for mankind.

How does that exclude that a place of damnation also exists eternally?

Comment

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

Which is????
                            Read it for yourself. I am not spoon-feeding you.

Comment

Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

Bonnie--the LDS believe the kingdom of God is one Kingdom. One place. That is where God and His Son dwell--and where eternal life exists for mankind.

How does that exclude that a place of damnation also exists eternally?
                              I never said a place of damnation does NOT exist. Show me where I wrote that. You are setting up a straw man.

So, you are saying your church teaches ONE Kingdom--right? But with three different levels--Celestial, Telestial, and Terrestrial. Is that it? But that isn't what your church teaches:

https://www.lds.org/topics/kingdoms-of-glory?lang=eng

There are three kingdoms of glory: the celestial kingdom, the terrestrial kingdom, and the telestial kingdom. The glory we inherit will depend on the depth of our conversion, expressed by our obedience to the Lord’s commandments. It will depend on the manner in which we have “received the testimony of Jesus” (D&C 76:51; see also D&C 76:74, 79, 101).

So what I wrote and quoted in my OP still applies--Jesus never mentioned three different Kingdoms. He talked about the "Kingdom of God" and the "Kingdom of heaven." ONE Kingdom, not three. And never once mentioned three levels or named them, and who goes where after death.

Comment

Working...
                              X