Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

LDS temples

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
    I related them all over the place, and proved from Paul's writings that WE are holy temples to God in Christ Jesus.
    Again--how are you using the point we are temples of God--to preclude the testimony of the Biblical writers to somehow cover up or cancel out these physical temples?

Revelation 11:1-2-- King James Version (KJV)
    1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
    2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Revelation 7:14-15--- King James Version (KJV)
    14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
    15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.

Isaiah 2:1-3--- King James Version (KJV)
    1 The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
    2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
    3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

WE are physical, are we not? We are the TRUE temples of God in the new and better covenant of grace in the blood of Jesus Christ, not in the blood of bulls and goats!
    And you are relating that to the above temples--how?????

And I dealt with the Revelation verses, which you ignored. As well as the Isaiah verses, in post no. 360 on here.. Which you also ignored.. Repeating yourself is not dealing with my points or other Bible verses. It just shows ghat you have NOTHING ELSE, but repetition.

Gentle readers and lurkers, do take note: I have dealt with these verses and answered questions about them and explained them. The same can not be said of others on here.
    You've dealt with them by retorting our bodies are temples???

Again--just how does that preclude the physical temples above?

Comment

He and I have addressed them numerous times and I archived some of them. Like right on this thread--posts no. 360, 375, 473, 477....and others. Pretending we have not "addressed" the scriptures you quoted will not work. Readers and lurkers here can see that we HAVE. You are fooling no one.
      And we will find the same things in your archive, IE----"I have already addressed this".

Bonnie--no you haven't. The only address, which addresses the actual points--is non--existent, IMO.

Care to address the actual scriptures--which testifies to an actual temple?

Comment

• Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

And we will find the same things in your archive, IE----"I have already addressed this".

Bonnie--no you haven't. The only address, which addresses the actual points--is non--existent, IMO.

Dberrie, YES I HAVE addressed your quoted bible verses. So has OG. Telling us we have not won't change the fact that WE DID and HAVE--as anyone who can read those posts I numbered can see. Saying we have NOT is accusing us falsely.
        "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
        "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
        “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
        "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
        "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

Comment

Again--how are you using the point we are temples of God--to preclude the testimony of the Biblical writers to somehow cover up or cancel out these physical temples?

Revelation 11:1-2-- King James Version (KJV)
          1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
          2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
          15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.

Isaiah 2:1-3--- King James Version (KJV)
          1 The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
          2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
          3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

And you are relating that to the above temples--how?????

You've dealt with them by retorting our bodies are temples???

Again--just how does that preclude the physical temples above?
          The temples in the Revelation verses are SYMBOLIC of the church. Even if about an actual temple building, it is ONLY ONE--NOT dozens built all over the world in which Mormon ordinances are performed. And I explained about the Isaiah 2 verses in post no. 360.

https://forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/cu...temples/page24

And I am relating the verses about how WE are temples of God NOW to the one in John's visions by telling you the one in John's visions represent the CHURCH. And Paul and Peter BOTH tell us that WE are holy temples to God, in which He dwells via His Spirit. And WE BELIEVERS are the true church of God in Christ Jesus. Simple as that. But those lost in the quagmire of cults and their false doctrines have a veil over their spiritual eyes, preventing them from seeing that truth.

But the nail on the coffin on your insistence that God wants Mormon temples in the here and now is in Acts 17, where Paul tells the Athenians that "God DOES NOT DWELL in temples made with human hands." DOES. NOT. DWELL.

The last time I checked, Mormon temples are made with human hands. Ergo, God does NOT dwell in them, the way He did in the one temple in Jerusalem, now destroyed. But the temple in Jerusalem and the way God dwelt in THAT temple until Jesus' resurrection prefigured the HS dwelling within US via the HS when we believe the Gospel message of Jesus Christ and are saved by grace through faith in HIM and not in our own works.

God would have nothing to do with the whitewashed tombs Mormons call "temples", that are filled with dead works to a non-existent god through a false Savior who is Satan's actual brother (!) in the supposed pre-mortal, spirit existence.
          "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
          "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
          “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
          "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

• You have your answer dberrie from Bonnie as well as me earlier. Now fish or cut bait on the questions posed. And that does not mean answering a question with a question as you have done.And it doesn't mean posting the same cut and paste scriptures as if they alone answer the questions. And you will need context with you answers.
            I am just a miserable sinner saved by grace, called according to His purposes, made righteous and holy by faith in Jesus and who can now boldly enter the throne room of heaven itself.

Comment

Your posts have been addressed, and proven to have been addressed. You are now spamming and being divisive. This needs to stop now.

Comment

The temples in the Revelation verses are SYMBOLIC of the church.
                I'm not understanding how you are relating that to the fact they are not real, physical temples??? IOW--a wedding band might be symbolic of an oath or covenant we make with our spouse. How does that mean it isn't a tangible, real, physical object?

For me--that kind of logic just does not add up.

Even if about an actual temple building, it is ONLY ONE--NOT dozens built all over the world....
                As you stated:

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
                The temples in the Revelation verses are SYMBOLIC of the church.
                That the verses deal with one temple at a time is not proof there is only one temple.

in which Mormon ordinances are performed.

It states the servants of the Lord serve Him in His temple--what is your evidence it's not exactly what the LDS ordinances are?

Comment

And I explained about the Isaiah 2 verses in post no. 360.

https://forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/cu...temples/page24
                  Here is your post for that reference:

Our People's Commentary on Isaiah by Rev. John A. Braun says Is. 2:2 is Messianic in nature and about the church Jesus would establish in His Name. The peace predicted in later verses will be the spiritual peace all true believers have, though final, physical peace will only come after the Second Coming, when Jesus returns to take all of His sheep to heaven in His Father's kingdom--note, Mormons, it is ONE kingdom, not 3--and the condemned He will consign to the pit reserved for the devil and all his angels.

God had called Judah and Jerusalem to be His in a special way by promising that the Messiah would come into the world tnroughvthem.....the mountain of the Lord's temple will be chief among the mountains. He did not mean that Mt. Moriah would somehow be physically raised to become tje highest peak in gnevworld. We must understand this passage and the entire section spiritually....the fulfillment of God's anciemt promises has become the most important and highest point in history.

Isaiah here only expresses another version of God's promise to Abraham, "All peoples on earth will be blessed through you." The coming of the people to the mountain of the Lord is God's calling, gathering, and enlightening His church. People come to God because of the promises He fulfilled in Christ. They hear about the work of Jesus whenever they hear the Gospel, the record of how God fulfilled His promises for the salvation of the world. By the power of the HS, tjat Gospel draws all nations to God. Isaiah wrote that they will stream to God's mountain.

Once people hear the Gospel, they invite others to learn of God's grace....

Peace is the WORK of the Messiah. Jesus told His disciples, "Peace I leave you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives."...We look at the end of the promise, then, with spiritual eyes of fsith, not with the physical eyes of politics....only when Christ returns will sinful human beings set aside their sinful natures, and all hostility and conflict will cease. Believers focus on the real peace within and ahead, not on tje promises of political peace on earth. (lpp.. 47-49, in part, of the People's Commentary on Isaiah, 1-39)
                  I will leave it at this, as there is a separate forum on CARM for Escatology on here, if I am not mistaken. Peace.
                  Bonnie--many Jews still look toward the third temple--as a physical temple.

Third Temple-----From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the unrealized Jewish temple. For Herod the Great's massive renovation of the Second Temple, see Herod's temple. Not to be confused with Ezekiel's temple.

The Third Temple, The House, the Holy, the Third) would be the third Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, after Solomon's temple and the rebuilt Second temple.

Although it remains unbuilt, the notion of and desire for a Third Temple is sacred in Judaism, particularly Orthodox Judaism, and anticipated as a soon-to-be-built place of worship. The prophets in the Hebrew Bible called for its construction to be fulfilled prior to, or in tandem with, the Messianic age. The rebuilding of the Third Temple also plays a major role in some interpretations of Christian eschatology.

Comment

And I am relating the verses about how WE are temples of God NOW to the one in John's visions by telling you the one in John's visions represent the CHURCH.
                    How does that preclude the presence of physical temples?

IOW--would you agree the apostles bodies were temples of God?

Acts 2:46---King James Version (KJV)
                    46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Acts 5:42---King James Version (KJV)
                    42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

Are you claiming the "temple" referenced there--was, in actuality--someone's physical body? Or was it a structural temple?

And Paul and Peter BOTH tell us that WE are holy temples to God, in which He dwells via His Spirit.
                    How does that preclude a physical temple--such as the one the apostles were in daily?

And WE BELIEVERS are the true church of God in Christ Jesus. Simple as that. But those lost in the quagmire of cults and their false doctrines have a veil over their spiritual eyes, preventing them from seeing that truth.
                    How does believers constituting the church--somehow cover up, or cancel out the fact of physical temples being present in Revelation or Isaiah--anymore than it precluded temples in the NT apostles time frame?

But the nail on the coffin on your insistence that God wants Mormon temples in the here and now is in Acts 17, where Paul tells the Athenians that "God DOES NOT DWELL in temples made with human hands." DOES. NOT. DWELL.
                    How does that logic somehow annul the fact God commanded the building of temples? The presence of temples in Isaiah or Revelation? So--if the church precludes the physical structures--then why am I seeing churches on every corner?

Where do we see God commanding the building of Lutheran churches? They are physical structures?

The last time I checked, Mormon temples are made with human hands.
                    And??? What is your evidence all the temples recorded in the Biblical text--were not made with human hands? How does that preclude their physical existence?

Ergo, God does NOT dwell in them, the way He did in the one temple in Jerusalem, now destroyed.
                    So--now you are now claiming God dwelled in temples?

But the temple in Jerusalem and the way God dwelt in THAT temple until Jesus' resurrection prefigured the HS dwelling within US via the HS when we believe the Gospel message of Jesus Christ and are saved by grace through faith in HIM and not in our own works.
                    But you just claimed God does not dwell in temples.

Comment

Here is your post for that reference:

Bonnie--many Jews still look toward the third temple--as a physical temple.

Third Temple-----From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the unrealized Jewish temple. For Herod the Great's massive renovation of the Second Temple, see Herod's temple. Not to be confused with Ezekiel's temple.

The Third Temple, The House, the Holy, the Third) would be the third Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, after Solomon's temple and the rebuilt Second temple.

Although it remains unbuilt, the notion of and desire for a Third Temple is sacred in Judaism, particularly Orthodox Judaism, and anticipated as a soon-to-be-built place of worship. The prophets in the Hebrew Bible called for its construction to be fulfilled prior to, or in tandem with, the Messianic age. The rebuilding of the Third Temple also plays a major role in some interpretations of Christian eschatology.

I already stated that Israel may built another temple. So what? But if they DO it will be ONE TEMPLE, not dozens. And the Jews will NOT do Mormon ordinances inside of them. Will they?

Even if the Jews do build another temple, it will still be obsolete. The necessity for the temple and the sacrifices done therein were all fulfilled completely in Jesus Christ. NOW we are the temples of God, indwelt by the HS. Paul says that God does NOT dwell in temples made with human hands. So much for Mormon temples and whatever temple the Israeites may build in the future. God isn't in your temples and He won't be in theirs.

Comment

I already stated that Israel may built another temple. So what?
                        So--there is a physical, structural temple. And that belief is founded upon the scriptures concerning the physical temples.

But if they DO it will be ONE TEMPLE, not dozens.
                        And where do we find any definitive number applying to temples in the Biblical text?

And the Jews will NOT do Mormon ordinances inside of them. Will they?
                        I have no idea what the Jews will do inside their temples. But this I do know--there are temples inside of the Jewish history--as it relates to the NT---in the past, present--and future.

Even if the Jews do build another temple, it will still be obsolete.
                        Why? Because your church does not have temples? The revelation of God is there will be other temples--period.

The necessity for the temple and the sacrifices done therein were all fulfilled completely in Jesus Christ.
                        You might want to relay that to the NT apostles:

46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

That was after the resurrection of Jesus?

NOW we are the temples of God, indwelt by the HS.
                        You still haven't explained how that precludes the physical, structural temples of the Biblical NT references.

Comment

So--there is a physical, structural temple. And that belief is founded upon the scriptures concerning the physical temples.

And where do we find any definitive number applying to temples in the Biblical text?

I have no idea what the Jews will do inside their temples. But this I do know--there are temples inside of the Jewish history--as it relates to the NT---in the past, present--and future.

Why? Because your church does not have temples? The revelation of God is there will be other temples--period.

You might want to relay that to the NT apostles:

That was after the resurrection of Jesus?

You still haven't explained how that precludes the physical, structural temples of the Biblical NT references.
                          Where do we find a COMMAND in these verses to BUILT dozens of temple all over the world, in which to perform MORMON RITUALS?

Yes, there was one temple in Israel's history. Rebuilt, then destroyed. And you have NO IDEA what the Jews will do INSIDE any temple them manage to rebuild? Since they reject Yeshua as Maschiach, then do you think they will be doing Mormon rituals within them? What did the Jews use the OLD temple for? Care to tell us, dberrie? IF you research it and find out what they did in the OLD temple, then it is a pretty safe bet that they will do the same in the NEW temple, if they manage to build it. Since they think they are still under the LoM.

Did the Jews do Mormon ordinances in the OLD temple, dberrie? Yes or no?

And of course the disciples worshiped in the temple in Jerusalem. They were Jews, used to doing so. And the temple still existed then. But then God allowed it to be destroyed in AD 70. And according to Hebrews, esp. in chapter 8, it and the Levitical and Aaronic priesthoods are null and void and obsolete--because Jesus fulfilled completely the purpose of the OLD temple in the OLD covenant. HOW HE is our great and ONLY High priest and we believers are a kingdom and priests to God the Father through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Now, the Revelation verses are from a vision and only show ONE temple and that is a figurative temple, representing the church and WHO is part of that church. The temple in Jerusalem no longer existed when John penned Revelation. But the description given sounds more like the temple that one was in Jerusalem--not the "temples" all over the world in Mormonism.

But Paul said in Acts 17 that God does NOT dwell in temples made with human hands. That means He won't be in any temple rebuilt in Jerusalem and He surely does NOT dwell in Mormon temples, filled with dead works done to a non-existent god in the name of a false Christ, who is Satan's actual brother in the supposed, pre-mortal existence.

Comment

• How does that preclude the presence of physical temples?[/quote]

Already explained what the temple in the Revelation vision is.

IOW--would you agree the apostles bodies were temples of God?
                            Sure. But they are NOT buildings, like YOUR temples.

The temple in Jerusalem still existed at this time in Acts, dberrie. Have you forgotten? And the apostles and first believers were JEWS who were used to going to the temple to worship. It was the center for their faith. But God allowed it to be destroyed in AD 70.

Are you claiming the "temple" referenced there--was, in actuality--someone's physical body? Or was it a structural temple?
                            Foolish question, dberrie. You know perfectly well that the temple referenced in the Acts verses was a physical building. But the disciples and believers were still temples of the HS--and when Gentiles became believers most did not live near Jerusalem so did not worship in the temple. The temple was obsolete for all Christians and God allowed it to be destroyed.

How does that preclude a physical temple--such as the one the apostles were in daily?
                            It doesn't=--the one in Jerusalem still existed in Acts 2.

Just because John saw A temple in a vision, doesn't mean God commanded dozens of Mormon temples to be built all over the world. And i already dealt with the Isaiah 2 verses and proved it and you read it. i am tired of repeating myself.

How does that logic somehow annul the fact God commanded the building of temples? The presence of temples in Isaiah or Revelation? So--if the church precludes the physical structures--then why am I seeing churches on every corner?
                            God authorize--did not command--the building of ONE TEMPLE IN JERUSALEM. NOT dozens of Mormon temples, all over the world. Unless you can show me in the bible where He DID

Where do we see God commanding the building of Lutheran churches? They are physical structures?
                            Our church buildings, like your ward buildings, are structures in which members can meet for general worship. We do NOT have separate buildings set aside in which to conduct sacred ordinance, as YOUR church does with its temples. Please learn the difference between the two.

And??? What is your evidence all the temples recorded in the Biblical text--were not made with human hands? How does that preclude their physical existence?
                            I never said the temple in Jerusalem was NOT built by human hands. It was. But it is obsolete and unnecssary. Which is WHY Paul could say in Acts 17 that God does NOT dwell in temples made with human hands. THEY ARE OBSOLETE AND UNNECESSARY.

So--now you are now claiming God dwelled in temples?

But you just claimed God does not dwell in temples.[/QUOTE]

i believe i wrote earlier that God dwelt in the ONE temple IN Jerusalem, UNTIL Jesus' resurrection. The temple's purpose and need of the Levitical priesthood had been fulfilled and become obsolete. THAT is why Paul could say that "God does NOT dwell in temples made with human hands." And he said that YEARS after the Resurrection.

Comment

Where do we find a COMMAND in these verses to BUILT dozens of temple all over the world, in which to perform MORMON RITUALS?
                              Again--where do we find any specific definitive number of temples at all? What do you find in the scriptures which gives that number--or that the ordinances performed in the temples here--are not the ordinances performed in LDS temples?

Revelation 7:13-15-- King James Version (KJV)
                              13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?

White robes--serve Him in His temple--sound familiar, Bonnie?

Yes, there was one temple in Israel's history. Rebuilt, then destroyed.
                              From what I understand--that isn't even true. Solomon's temple was the first temple. That was totally destroyed--and those who returned from Persia built the second temple--which was later expanded and referred to as Herod's temple. A third temple is anticipated by many.

And you have NO IDEA what the Jews will do INSIDE any temple them manage to rebuild?
                              No--and neither does it state in the scriptures what those of Rev7 were specifically performing--but this we do know--they were in His temple--dressed in white robes--serving the Lord.

Where do we find anything which specifically describes what they were doing?

What is your evidence--what goes on in the LDS temples--is not what they were doing in Revelation7?

Comment

Now, the Revelation verses are from a vision and only show ONE temple and that is a figurative temple, representing the church and WHO is part of that church. The temple in Jerusalem no longer existed when John penned Revelation. But the description given sounds more like the temple that one was in Jerusalem--not the "temples" all over the world in Mormonism.
                                The vision was about that specific temple---how does that compute to the belief that was the only temple in the world?

Where do we find any specific information in the Bible--temples won't exist all over the world--or any specific definitive number of temples that will exist?

Comment

Working...
                                X