X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The limited powers of Mormon deities.

Limited powers of Mormon deities

Book of Abraham 3:18

18 Howbeit that he made the greater star; as, also, if there be two spirits, and one shall be more intelligent than the other, yet these two spirits, notwithstanding one is more intelligent than the other, have no beginning; they existed before, they shall have no end, they shall exist after, for they are gnolaum, or eternal.

KFD

God never did have power to create the spirit of man at all. God himself could not create himself. Intelligence exists upon a self-existent principle; it is a spirit from age to age, and there is no creation about it.

According to Joseph Smith Jr., the Mormon gods are of limited ability regarding creation.

"You have just constructed a straw man so large you could burn it in the desert and hold an annoying festival around it"

"One's personal world view can be so powerful that it blinds them to any evidence that contradicts it"

Originally posted by desertscout View Post
    Limited powers of Mormon deities

According to Joseph Smith Jr., the Mormon gods are of limited ability regarding creation.

"Gnolaum"? Is that another made-up word, like "cureloms" and "cumoms" and "deseret"?
    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
    “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
    "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

Comment

That's okay; the Protestant gods are of limited ability regarding deification.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
        The Christian Church has ONE GOD

Just like pre-1835 Joseph Smith taught

And inasmuch as mine enemies come against you ... ye shall curse them; And whomsoever ye curse, I will curse, and ye shall avenge me of mine enemies (Doctrine and Covenants, 103:24-25)

Comment

Men are not God. God is entirely unique and uncreated and has always existed. God CREATED mankind from the dust of the earth, as even your own BoM testifies to. So, men are NOT gods/deities. And Protestants do not have "gods" plural, but ONLY one God--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. three Eternal Persons in the One Godhead. So please be more accurate in your description of our beliefs.

But the God of the Bible is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent, as well as eternal and uncreated. The false Mormon god is nothing like this. He is merely an exalted man, which makes him an exalted creature, only a little farther up the spiritual evolutionary ladder than we mortals are. Big whoop.
          "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
          "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
          “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
          "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanhoe View Post
            The Christian Church has ONE GOD

Just like pre-1835 Joseph Smith taught

Mormonism is really mixed up in its understanding of Who and What God is, isn't it? They are all over the place about Him!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
              Men are not God. God is entirely unique and uncreated and has always existed. God CREATED mankind from the dust of the earth, as even your own BoM testifies to. So, men are NOT gods/deities.
              Are you claiming Jesus Christ isn't God?

1 Timothy 2:5--- King James Version (KJV)
              5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

And Protestants do not have "gods" plural,
              But the Bible does:

Deuteronomy 32:8 ---New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
              8 When the Most High apportioned the nations,
              when he divided humankind,
              he fixed the boundaries of the peoples
              according to the number of the gods;

but ONLY one God--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
              Could anyone please give us any Biblical reference which specifically has the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost as the "one God"?

The Biblical NT always separated out God the Son from the "one God":

1 Corinthians 8:6---King James Version (KJV)
              6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 2:5--King James Version (KJV)
              5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 4:4-6--King James Version (KJV)
              4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
              5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
              6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Comment

Men are not God.
                Did somebody claim they were?

Comment

Did somebody claim they were?
                  All I can say is that you have a lot of patience. "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can, Seldom found in woman, Never found in man!"
                  zerinus
                  I am a Mormon!

Comment

"Gnolaum"? Is that another made-up word, like "cureloms" and "cumoms" and "deseret"?
                    No, it is Hebrew, but a distortion as used by Joseph.
                    "You have just constructed a straw man so large you could burn it in the desert and hold an annoying festival around it"

"One's personal world view can be so powerful that it blinds them to any evidence that contradicts it"

Comment

At least the God/Godhead of Protestants and Orthodox is the one and only true God that always existed as God. The Orthodox still teach theosis (Protestants teach a similar concept of sanctification), and not the Mormon heresy of apotheosis. Unlike the Mormon pantheon, the God/Godhead of Abraham, Isaac, Israel and Moses didn't have to learn to become God, nor were there any other preexisting deities that exalted Yahweh to Godhood. Sorry, but Yahweh is far superior to all the Mormon gods combined.

Comment

See explanation below.

http://www.2think.org/hundredsheep/boa/zucker.shtml

... One word remains: gnolaum (3:18) - "Yet these two spirits. . . shall have no beginning. . . no end, for they are gnolaum, or eternal." This, again, is an exact Seixas transliteration; however, the Hebrew word is not an adjective but a noun, which in the plural may act as an adverb. The phrase "an everlasting covenant" (Doctrine and Covenants 45:9) is taken from Genesis 17:13, where gnolaum, in the English idiom "everlasting," is, in the Hebrew idiom, a noun, "eternity."

Comment

Originally posted by zerinus View Post
                          All I can say is that you have a lot of patience.
                          Thank you.

Comment

At least the God/Godhead of Protestants and Orthodox is the one and only true God
                            According to whom, the Protestants and Orthodox?

Comment

See explanation below.
                              Oh, okay, thanks, DS. I thought "olam" was Hebrew for "everlasting."

Comment

Working...
                              X