Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The role of works in LDS theology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The role of works in LDS theology

    Originally posted by Bonnie View Post No, He doesn't. We do good works IN salvstion, not FOR salvation. But we can only do so when wecare connected to the Vine--Christ Jesus our Lord. By faith in Him, He is in us and we in Him. Without Him, we can do nothing, as He stated.
    I don't find anyone arguing a point without Christ.

    Rather--how do we put on Christ?

    2 John 9 ---King James Version (KJV)
    9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

    Galatians 3:26-27--- King James Version (KJV)
    26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
    27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

    Think about the admonition concerning baptism:

    Matthew 3:7-10--- King James Version (KJV)
    7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
    8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
    9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
    10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

    Folks--believe what you will, but the true doctrine of Jesus Christ is found above.

  • #2
    Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    Folks--believe what you will, but the true doctrine of Jesus Christ is found above.
    Absolutely TRUE!!! Unfortunately the LDS has absolutely NO CONCEPT about what any of it means.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

      Absolutely TRUE!!! Unfortunately the LDS has absolutely NO CONCEPT about what any of it means.
      Ya think, Bob?! Amen.
      I am just a miserable sinner saved by grace, called according to His purposes, made righteous and holy by faith in Jesus and who can now boldly enter the throne room of heaven itself.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post
        Absolutely TRUE!!!
        We know that, Bob. What I wanted to know is---if only those who have put on Christ can do His works--then why is putting on Christ linked to baptism?

        Galatians 3:26-27--- King James Version (KJV)
        26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
        27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

        Or--abiding in the doctrine--in order to have the Father and Son?

        2 John 9 ---King James Version (KJV)
        9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

        Why were these instructed to bring forth fruits meet for repentance---before John would baptize them?

        Matthew 3:7-10--- King James Version (KJV)
        7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
        8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
        9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
        10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post

          We know that, Bob. What I wanted to know is---if only those who have put on Christ can do His works--then why is putting on Christ linked to baptism?

          Galatians 3:26-27--- King James Version (KJV)
          26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
          27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

          Or--abiding in the doctrine--in order to have the Father and Son?

          2 John 9 ---King James Version (KJV)
          9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

          Why were these instructed to bring forth fruits meet for repentance---before John would baptize them?

          Matthew 3:7-10--- King James Version (KJV)
          7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
          8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
          9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
          10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
          Bump for anyone

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post
            I don't find anyone arguing a point without Christ.

            Rather--how do we put on Christ?

            2 John 9 ---King James Version (KJV)
            9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

            Galatians 3:26-27--- King James Version (KJV)
            26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
            27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

            Think about the admonition concerning baptism:

            Matthew 3:7-10--- King James Version (KJV)
            7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
            8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
            9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
            10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

            Folks--believe what you will, but the true doctrine of Jesus Christ is found above.
            Bump for the board

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post
              Absolutely TRUE!!! Unfortunately the LDS has absolutely NO CONCEPT about what any of it means.
              Could you comport that with the OP--and explain why the scriptures posted there reflect a concept found in your theology?

              Bob--it fits LDS theology just fine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by organgrinder View Post

                Ya think, Bob?! Amen.
                Yep. Note: I have never seen a Mormon quote Ephesians 2:8-10 on here, to back up their beliefs, or demonstrate the Gospel. Why is that, do you suppose?
                "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
                "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

                  Yep. Note: I have never seen a Mormon quote Ephesians 2:8-10 on here, to back up their beliefs, or demonstrate the Gospel. Why is that, do you suppose?
                  Maybe because it violates their works based religion? Just sayin'

                  BTW: I just saw a new thread started dealing with the scripture. Started by the person who is here to just have fun.
                  Last edited by organgrinder; 11-12-19, 10:23 AM.
                  I am just a miserable sinner saved by grace, called according to His purposes, made righteous and holy by faith in Jesus and who can now boldly enter the throne room of heaven itself.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by organgrinder View Post

                    Maybe because it violates their works based religion? Just sayin'

                    BTW: I just saw a new thread started dealing with the scripture. Started by the person who is here to just have fun.
                    I saw. But in no way, shape, or form, does Ephesians 2:8-10 support Mormon theology--not when it has a heading on its website like "Exaltation is worth all OUR EFFORTS." Being exalted to Godhood in the CK --full salvation in Mormo-speak--is contingent upon what Mormons MUST do, in this life, like the temple WORKS. That is a works-based theology, notwithstanding protests to the contrary...
                    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                    “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
                    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                    "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

                      I saw. But in no way, shape, or form, does Ephesians 2:8-10 support Mormon theology--not when it has a heading on its website like "Exaltation is worth all OUR EFFORTS." Being exalted to Godhood in the CK --full salvation in Mormo-speak--is contingent upon what Mormons MUST do, in this life, like the temple WORKS. That is a works-based theology, notwithstanding protests to the contrary...
                      Absolutely. Defining the terms and what they mean makes all the difference in understanding. That which is different is not the same.
                      I am just a miserable sinner saved by grace, called according to His purposes, made righteous and holy by faith in Jesus and who can now boldly enter the throne room of heaven itself.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by organgrinder View Post

                        Absolutely. Defining the terms and what they mean makes all the difference in understanding. That which is different is not the same.
                        Probably one the SADDEST Verses in the Bible (which applies nicely to the LDS as well) is: Hos 4:17 Ephraim is joined to idols: let him alone.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

                          Probably one the SADDEST Verses in the Bible (which applies nicely to the LDS as well) is: Hos 4:17 Ephraim is joined to idols: let him alone.
                          Interesting...and the LDS have exchanged the truth for a lie, worshiping a creature--an exalted man, who was FIRST a man who had to learn how to become a god--instead of the almighty, eternal, Uncreated God of the Bible, Who created the universe by the power of His word.

                          Oh, for any Mormons reading this....what their HF did is Not what Jesus did. Their HF started out as a man on "an earth" who had to LEARN how to become a God. That is the OPPOSITE of Jesus Who was FIRST THE ETERNAL Word of God Who THEN took on the additional nature of man at His Incarnation, though He never stopped being fully God. It is amazing how some in Mormonism will attempt to twist the Incarnation of Jesus to fit their blasphemous doctrine embodied in the Snow couplet--the Law of Eternal Progression.

                          There comes a point in our work on here, where we must "shake off the dust from our feet" with certain posters, and move on, praying that they stop resisting the HS and come to believe in the true Jesus Christ of the Bible for full salvation, great and free...
                          Last edited by Bonnie; 11-12-19, 12:17 PM.
                          "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                          "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                          “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
                          "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                          "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dberrie2000 View Post
                            I don't find anyone arguing a point without Christ.

                            Rather--how do we put on Christ?

                            2 John 9 ---King James Version (KJV)
                            9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

                            Galatians 3:26-27--- King James Version (KJV)
                            26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
                            27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

                            Think about the admonition concerning baptism:

                            Matthew 3:7-10--- King James Version (KJV)
                            7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
                            8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
                            9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
                            10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

                            Folks--believe what you will, but the true doctrine of Jesus Christ is found above.
                            Anyone care to engage this?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X