Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Deputationalism: Did God Send Someone Else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputationalism: Did God Send Someone Else?

A while back the late Robert Sabin, a regular in the Oneness Pentecostal apologetics movement, wrote a piece accusing evangelicals of believing a form of deputationalism.[1] That is, some Oneness Pentecostals (including at least Sabin and James N. Anderson who repeated this argument) level the charge that we believe that God sent someone else to do the saving (i.e., a soteriological deputationist). On this view, trinitarians don't really believe God came himself to save the world-- instead he sent someone else. I've heard this argument in a variety of contexts, and so I figured I'd attempt to refute it here. This charge engages in the fallacy of the excluded middle. Paul says in Galatians 1:3-4:
    "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father..."
    Paul teaches us throughout his corpus, but especially in Galatians, that God the Father sent his Son (4:4) and that God the Son “gave himself for our sins.” This self-giving, indicated by the reflexive pronoun “himself” (heaton), was in cooperation with the Father and by the power of the Spirit. Jesus sacrificed himself “according to the will of our God and Father” Because Jesus is both God and the Son of God, the charge of deputationalism fails. The sacrifice of Christ, like that the creation, incarnation, and resurrection, was a Triune work.

[1] Robert Sabin, “Jesus: Delegate of God? Or God in the Flesh?,” WhoisJesus.com, http://whoisjesus.com/deputy.html. Accessed 01/31/2019.
    Trinitarian Apologist - Evangelical Contrarian
    B.S. Theology and Bible, Master of Biblical Studies (NT)

Learn who Almighty God is 101==
    The One True Almighty God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit= The One True Almighty God!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GISMYS View Post
      Learn who Almighty God is 101==
      The One True Almighty God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit= The One True Almighty God!!!
      I'm likely not the first person to say this, but your posts are absolutely vacuous and completely useless. Why not refrain from posting such dribble?
      Trinitarian Apologist - Evangelical Contrarian
      B.S. Theology and Bible, Master of Biblical Studies (NT)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I'm likely not the first person to say this, but your posts are absolutely vacuous and completely useless. Why not refrain from posting such dribble?
        Thank you!!! Facing Truth is not easy for those that allow satan to blind them and use them as his tool!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          A while back the late Robert Sabin, a regular in the Oneness Pentecostal apologetics movement, wrote a piece accusing evangelicals of believing a form of deputationalism.[1] That is, some Oneness Pentecostals (including at least Sabin and James N. Anderson who repeated this argument) level the charge that we believe that God sent someone else to do the saving (i.e., a soteriological deputationist). On this view, trinitarians don't really believe God came himself to save the world-- instead he sent someone else. I've heard this argument in a variety of contexts, and so I figured I'd attempt to refute it here. This charge engages in the fallacy of the excluded middle. Paul says in Galatians 1:3-4:
          "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father..."
          Paul teaches us throughout his corpus, but especially in Galatians, that God the Father sent his Son (4:4) and that God the Son “gave himself for our sins.” This self-giving, indicated by the reflexive pronoun “himself” (heaton), was in cooperation with the Father and by the power of the Spirit. Jesus sacrificed himself “according to the will of our God and Father” Because Jesus is both God and the Son of God, the charge of deputationalism fails. The sacrifice of Christ, like that the creation, incarnation, and resurrection, was a Triune work.

[1] Robert Sabin, “Jesus: Delegate of God? Or God in the Flesh?,” WhoisJesus.com, http://whoisjesus.com/deputy.html. Accessed 01/31/2019.
          He was the Son of Himself?

Is this highlighted statement rational?

Please explain this phenomenon.

Thanks.

Comment

Almighty God is far far beyond little man's understanding so God gave man His eternal living Word to give us His Truth!!! The One True Almighty God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit= The One Almighty God!! PTL.

Comment

God have birth to Himself?

This sure is a mystery.

Doesn't this make Mary the mother of God?

Comment

Believe and understand the Word of God! ----- Philippians 2:6-8

6 Jesus==Who, being in very nature God,
                did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
                7 rather, he made himself nothing
                by taking the very nature of a servant,
                being made in human likeness.
                8 And being found in appearance as a man,
                he humbled himself
                by becoming obedient to death
                even death on a cross!

I chose to believe God's Word that Jesus is God!!!

Comment

Working...
                X