Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Part 2 That God may perhaps grant ME repentance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part 2 That God may perhaps grant ME repentance

As a favor to Firearms, I repeat some of what he stated

03-03-14, 05:16 PM

Lord I need you. Please help me. I can't seem to do this. I'm commanded to repent and I want to. Something inside me wants to be clean but my flesh wants this sin! It makes me think of when You said that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I'm at war with myself over this and I want my flesh subdued. I just want to be clean.

Since You command that I repent and crucify this sin, I feel like I'm supposed to lay hold of this task, pick up this cross, and do it. But I'm not succeeding. I keep returning to this folly like a dog to his vomit. It makes me feel separated from You. I'm so tired of praying this same prayer over and over. It's been years now and it has only gotten worse.

Please help me change this lifestyle. What more can I do? What more can I pray? Please God! For the sake of my children, help me!

https://forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/pr...78#post4543978 05-01-17, 06:39 PM

I might be wrong to presume that the mere act of typing those words in a posted confession, and/or repeating them out loud... those actions in and of themselves do not acquire everlasting life for someone, as opposed to crying them out and sincerely meaning them from the heart.

Because I do recall being taught that we aren't saved by behavioral movements like going to church, superficially repeating a prayer, or behaving a certain way, but rather we are saved by grace, being born again, regenerated, etc. not from ourselves, but through the spirit. Or something like that, I'm not a theologian, as you will likely find out.

To be perfectly honest, I long hesitated to enter discussion about these things in places such as this, due to the nature of impersonal forums. The comments can be so course, cold, and indifferent as you my know. Having been active in online forums for about a decade now, I'm comfortable in this environment, but I also know it is a poor substitute for actual relationships. The link I provided in post #12 has many of the answers you might ask.

05-02-17, 07:14 PM https://forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/pr...97#post4545697

This is one of the things I hate about discussion forums; we end up talking past each other, talking in circles, and misunderstanding what each other means by what we write. Oftentimes, one or both persons try to debate the other into submission, pin them down and show them how ignorant and incorrect they are, etc. People really get off on this. I know I used to, but I broke years ago. Two of my brothers and I don't talk at all much anymore because of this kind of behavior. Rather than humbly getting down on the other's level, we "respectfully and lovingly" tore each other up with words. I want to apologize in advance if I begin to slip into this behavior. I didn't really want to come here to convince anyone about the grounds upon which I walk in doubt of my salvation, and I can't receive confirmation from any man that I'm sealed in the spirit. I hope you can empathize.
    MY FOUR APOLOGETIC AXIOMS

1. Any verse ripped from its context is a pretext 100% of the time

2. We attack lies so others will see the truth; that is proof of our love for all cultists, not our hatred .

3. Inconsistency is a tiny hobgoblin haunting every cult

4. "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire

05-11-17, 01:45 PM

As I read and reflected (for several hours) on what Firearms is posting I noticed some things that sorta stand out.
    I may be wrong, but it seems as if Firearms is placing all the efforts of change upon himself:

Originally posted by Firearms View Post
    I might be wrong to presume that the mere act of typing those words in a posted confession, and/or repeating them out loud... those actions in and of themselves do not acquire everlasting life for someone, as opposed to crying them out and sincerely meaning them from the heart.

and

Originally posted by Firearms View Post
    Lord I need you. Please help me. I can't seem to do this. I'm commanded to repent and I want to. Something inside me wants to be clean but my flesh wants this sin! It makes me think of when You said that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I'm at war with myself over this and I want my flesh subdued. I just want to be clean.

Since You command that I repent and crucify this sin, I feel like I'm supposed to lay hold of this task, pick up this cross, and do it. But I'm not succeeding. I keep returning to this folly like a dog to his vomit. It makes me feel separated from You. I'm so tired of praying this same prayer over and over. It's been years now and it has only gotten worse.

No, this is not an attempt to criticize. Surely Firearms has done enough to himself. So I am wondering if Firearms has an understanding of who Jesus Christ is, and that the sufficiency of the Atonement is exceedingly more potent than any of his efforts?
    The perspective I come from is that sin is far more than just our actions; It is an inward rebellion and hatred towards God, and it is best expressed by what David wrote:
    Psalm 51:4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight,
    so that you may be justified in your words
    and blameless in your judgment.
    5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
    and in sin did my mother conceive me.
    6 Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
    and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (Ps 51:4–7). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

Therefore there is also a spiritual component of sin that is often overlooked when we focus on doing this deed or that deed. Sin goes far beyond deeds because it also focuses on intent.and creates a division between the just, righteous and holy God and us sinners
    Isaiah 59:1 Behold, the LORD’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save,
    or his ear dull, that it cannot hear;
    2 but your iniquities have made a separation
    between you and your God,
    and your sins have hidden his face from you
    so that he does not hear.
    3 For your hands are defiled with blood
    and your fingers with iniquity;
    your lips have spoken lies;
    your tongue mutters wickedness.
    The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (Is 59:1–3). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

Common to both passages of Scripture I quoted is the fact that God is also the Great Redeemer.
    1. He purges us.
    2. He redeems us
    3. He delights in our soul.
    4. He delights in teaching us
    5. He can reach anyone
    6. He can hear everyone
    7. Therefore he can save anyone who calls upon His name

It is not God who wants to keep you in your sins, Firearm, it is our Enemy, and ONLY the grace of Jesus is stronger than the Enemy, Satan. I hope that you can understand what I posted, and see that only by the sufficiency of Jesus Christ can any progress on this issue be made. If you doubt that, I can point you to the people in our church who are in NA & AA.

I will not debate any of that above nor derail the discussion on Firearm's call for prayer on this forum.

2. We attack lies so others will see the truth; that is proof of our love for all cultists, not our hatred .

4. "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire

Comment

Firearms:

Just to be sure:

You asked for prayer, and hopefully, you can see that I am giving you you some answers; and in giving you those answers, I am also praying that Holy Spirit will guide you to see the truth in what I am doing.
      1. Since God has given to us all we need to learn in the Bible about being holy and righteous, I am posting specific portions of Scripture for you to read, and to meditate about.
      2. Then I am pointing you to the total sufficiency of Jesus Christ, because no one can beat any addiction through his own efforts. The ones saying that are well-meaning................
      3. I can say that because there is also a spiritual component to addictions because addicts once listened to the Father of Lies and took a substance that destroys their body

This posted to scare you, but to let you know that according to Scripture, we do not wrestle against our flesh, but the unseen powers of darkness,from whom no goodness comes

Comment

Working...
      X