Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Being Forgiven.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Forgiven.

"Rosalind Goforth was a well-known missionary to China who, along with her husband
    Jonathan, enjoyed an illustrious career and ministry. But for many years even having
    labored for the Lord in China, Rosalind often felt oppressed by a burden of sin. She felt
    guilty and dirty, nursing an inward sense of spiritual failure. Finally one evening when
    all was quiet, she settled at her desk with Bible and concordance, determined to find
    out God's attitude toward the failures, the faults, the sins of his children
    . She put these
    words at the top of the page: What God Does With Our Sins. Then as she searched
    through the scriptures, she compiled this list of seventeen truths."
    __Robert J. Morgan, The Donaldson Fellowship, Nashville, TN

What God Does With Our Sins.

(1) Isaiah 53:6 (He lays them on His Son, the Lord Jesus)

We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
    each of us has turned to our own way;
    and the Lord has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all.

(2) John 1:29 (Christ takes them away)

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and
    said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin
    of the world!

(3) Psalm 103: 11-12 (They are removed an infinite distance from us)

For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
    so great is his love for those who fear him;
    as far as the east is from the west,
    so far has he removed our transgressions from us.

(4) Jeremiah 50:20 (When sought that are not found)

In those days, at that time,”
    declares the Lord,
    “search will be made for Israel’s guilt,
    but there will be none,
    and for the sins of Judah,
    but none will be found,
    for I will forgive the remnant I spare.

(5) Eph. 1:7-8 (The Lord forgives them)

" In him we have redemption through his blood, the
    forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of
    God’s grace that he lavished on us."

(6) 1 John 1:7 (He cleanses them all by the blood of His Son)

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship
    with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son, cleanses us from
    all sin."

(7) Isaiah 1:18 (He cleanses them as white as wool and snow)

Come now, let us settle the matter,”
    says the Lord.
    “Though your sins are like scarlet,
    they shall be as white as snow;
    though they are red as crimson,
    they shall be like wool.

(8) Isaiah 55:6-7 (He freely pardons our sins)

Seek the Lord while he may be found;
    call on him while he is near.
    Let the wicked forsake their ways
    and the unrighteous their thoughts.
    Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them,
    and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

(9) Micah 7: 18-19 (He tramples our sins underfoot)

Who is a God like you,
    who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
    of the remnant of his inheritance?
    You do not stay angry forever
    but delight to show mercy.
    You will again have compassion on us;
    you will tread our sins underfoot

(10) Hebrews 10:17-18 (He remembers them no more)

Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts
    I will remember no more.”
    And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin
    is no longer necessary.

(11) Isaiah 38:16-17 (He casts them behind His back)

You restored me to health
    and let me live.
    Surely it was for my benefit
    that I suffered such anguish.
    In your love you kept me
    from the pit of destruction;
    you have put all my sins
    behind your back.

(12) Micah 7:18-19 (He hurls all our sins into the depths of the sea)

Who is a God like you,
    who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
    of the remnant of his inheritance?
    You do not stay angry forever
    but delight to show mercy.
    You will again have compassion on us;
    you will tread our sins underfoot
    and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.

(13) Romans 4:7-8 (He will never count our sins against us)

Blessed are those
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
    Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”

(14) Romans 4:7 (He covers our sins)

Blessed are those
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.

(15) Isaiah 43:25 (He blots them out)

“I, even I, am he who blots out
    your transgressions, for my own sake,
    and remembers your sins no more.

(16) Isaiah 44:22 (He swept them away as a thick cloud)

I have swept away your offenses like a cloud,
    your sins like the morning mist.
    Return to me,
    for I have redeemed you.”

(17) Col. 2:13-15 (He cancels out even the proof against us,
    nailing it to His cross)

"When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of
    your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our
    sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which
    stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing
    it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he
    made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross."

"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich,
    yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might
    become rich."
    2 Cor. 8:9

`
    Last edited by JAG; 10-25-17, 06:57 PM.
    "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" (Eph. 2:8)

For those interested...

June Hunt's book on forgiveness is excellent.

I advocate staying away from Lewis Smedes' well-known book "The Art of Forgiveness" and Chris Brauns' lesser known book "Unpacking Forgiveness." The former has a few but very critical errors (like forgiving God for wrongs we suffer) and the latter is simply one of the worst books on forgiveness I've ever read.

Hunt's book is small and inexpensive (there's a study guide for those so interested) and it walks right through scripture after scripture after scripture pertaining to many facets of forgiveness.

Lastly, it is important to understand that in most cases forgiveness is not the final destination, reconciliation is condition to be pursued. Forgiveness is just one step along the way to that end.

Fairly good list from Goforth, JAG. Would that they were as easy to apply in real life as they are to post.
    All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Originally posted by Josheb View Post

Fairly good list from Goforth, JAG.

Thanks for stopping in to read my thread, Josheb.
      And thanks for the mention of the books on forgiveness.
      You always try to ,make a good contribution to every thread
      you post in --- much-appreciated.

I'm so happy to be forgiven. I love those 17 verses and find
      them a strong comfort to my heart, mind, and soul.

God Bless.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" (Eph. 2:8)

Comment

It's life-changing.
        Originally posted by JAG View Post
        Thanks for stopping in to read my thread, Josheb.
        And thanks for the mention of the books on forgiveness.
        You always try to ,make a good contribution to every thread
        you post in --- much-appreciated.

I'm so happy to be forgiven. I love those 17 verses and find
        them a strong comfort to my heart, mind, and soul.

God Bless.
        A lack of forgiveness is a big problem in many people's lives.There a need to receive it and a need to extend it. And sadly there's a lot of misinformation about all the IFs, WHENs, and HOWs. I see its need in counseling in nearly every person and couple with which I work. I see it my family's lives and in those of my friends and fellow Christians. I hear about the need standing in the line of the convenience store buying a soda.

In my own life I've done things to people for which I can never make amends and even though the thoughts associated with those facts no longer obstruct my life it still doesn't sit well in my soul.

I've learned that being a person that forgives episodically is not the same as being a person who forgives dispositionally. Learning to make forgiveness an integral part of my character is hard.

I'm embarrassed to tell you that on rare occasions I wish a poster here or there was within arms reach. Most of the time nothing here is of much concern but on occasion... I'd cause pain and be back at the point I first made. How can one person's need to be forgiven cause me a need to be forgiven? How few of us have considered forgiving ourselves for the sins of others? Doesn't sound correct, does it? But its not so hard to understand when the rape victim understands how the rapist sin was poor unadulterated into his or her soul unfiltered and now that sin is reeking havoc and more lawlessness.

Learning to forgive and be forgiven can be done in the flesh but it is not the same as a dispositional or characterological forgiveness that comes from God's Spirit at work in my life (or yours) and being like Christ. That guy took a lot of abuse and hung beaten and bloody nailed to a cross. I'm normally the kind of guy whose first impulse is "Pffffttt! I can do that," but I'm really to keen on the hanging on the cross thing.

And yet the inescapable truth of Christ is that Calvary was all about forgiveness.

I'm thankful for the fact that I'm not called to hang on a cross; I am crucified with Jesus and I no longer live. I'm real glad it was him. One of the most powerful feelings I've ever known is knowing I am loved and accepted exactly as I am. I'm pretty sure I could give Paul a run for the title of "chief among sinners" but by God's grace he and I are both washed clean. No need to compete. I once looked a college professors who'd ridiculed me for being a Christian in the face and told her that because I know Whose I am I know what it feels like to be accepted wherever I go in a manner she can never take away. Shut her up in embarrassment and caused a small group of coeds to follow me out of class to ask "What's that like? Tell me about that?"

Well lemme tell you about Jesus...

I was invited to a Christmas party this year by some friends I haven't seen in a long while. I wasn't sure why I'd be invited. During the party the host surprised me by stopping the party and telling everyone in attendance that I was the one who led her to Christ. That would be an awkward moment were it not for the fact that Jesus gets all the glory. I had no idea how many of our friends had become believers. Many of the people right there in the middle of that party stopped in front of the unbelievers and gave glory to God! Just amazing.

It's a thirsty world out there and many of the redeemed still thirst even though we have the well that never runs dry. It never runs drive from empowering us and it never runs dry from washing us clean. Getting washed is cool, but living the life of dispositional cleanliness in Christ is better. Add the opening lines of 2 Peter to your list when you share this with others.
        "His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins." (2 Pet. 1:3-9 NIV)

We have everything we need for a godly life.
        We can participate in the divine nature (that would be sheer arrogance if it weren't true).
        We need to believe it and work in specific ways to bear fruit.
        We become nearsighted and blind because it all hinges on one thing that we forget....

We have been cleansed from sin.
        All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Working...
        X