Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Where is God?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is God?

As the title suggests, I'm kind of struggling in my life ... I'm not really sure when this first started, as it seemed to come gradually, but it especially came on Friday when I was praying one afternoon. While I was praying, I just stopped and started to cry. Aside from feeling that my whole life is pointless and that I serve no purpose, I just don't know where God is. I don't even feel his presence when I pray, I just feel nothing at all. I'm not even sure if he'll ever answer my prayers either. I just don't see the point in praying anymore ... everything just always goes unanswered. I go to church every Sunday, I pray at night time before bed for a few minutes, and sometimes I pray in the mornings, and I usually read a chapter of the Bible every night. But as I've said, I don't feel that God is there listening, or that he will ever answer me ... it makes me feel like he's forsaken me. I've heard of testimonies of Christians who say they've received signs and revelations from God, and even spiritual gifts, but I haven't received anything at all. I've never had a conversion experience or testimony either, because I was raised as a Christian my whole life. Anyway, to cut this story short ... I'm just miserable, and I have no idea what to do. Can someone help me?
    "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." - Galatians 6:14

Originally posted by Apostle View Post
    As the title suggests, I'm kind of struggling in my life ... I'm not really sure when this first started, as it seemed to come gradually, but it especially came on Friday when I was praying one afternoon. While I was praying, I just stopped and started to cry. Aside from feeling that my whole life is pointless and that I serve no purpose, I just don't know where God is. I don't even feel his presence when I pray, I just feel nothing at all. I'm not even sure if he'll ever answer my prayers either. I just don't see the point in praying anymore ... everything just always goes unanswered. I go to church every Sunday, I pray at night time before bed for a few minutes, and sometimes I pray in the mornings, and I usually read a chapter of the Bible every night. But as I've said, I don't feel that God is there listening, or that he will ever answer me ... it makes me feel like he's forsaken me. I've heard of testimonies of Christians who say they've received signs and revelations from God, and even spiritual gifts, but I haven't received anything at all. I've never had a conversion experience or testimony either, because I was raised as a Christian my whole life. Anyway, to cut this story short ... I'm just miserable, and I have no idea what to do. Can someone help me?
    Sorry Sean. I can relate. As far as prayer goes I think that what you pray about is important and that the Lord's prayer in Matthew 6 is a good template. Gives it to God. What you said reminds me of Ecclesiastes 12:13 and Galatians 6:2. That's our purpose. But for you to feel that sense of purpose and overcome this negativity you have to get back in touch with God's love. I like 1 John 4:18 perfect love is the solution. And for this to happen you have to delight yourself in the Lord like it says in Psalm 37:4. So I think you need more joy in your life that brings you closer to Him. I've observed this truth during my life and just as it's helped me I think it'll help you. Ultimately we can't rely on our feelings or our works to know how God feels about us but having that joy is important after all it's a fruit of the Spirit and the faith. What brings you joy?

Comment

I'm not even sure if he'll ever answer my prayers either. I just don't see the point in praying anymore ... everything just always goes unanswered.
      Prayer is more than asking God for things. Among other things it involves praising God and thanking him for what he has done for us. I have a suggestion. The next time you pray, instead of asking God for something think about all the good things in your life and thank God for them. Then perhaps you should think of the unpleasant things in your life and thank god for them because God has brought them into your life for your good.
      Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
      (Romans 5:3-5 ESV)
      If you spend time thanking God you might find that you are beginning to praise him.
      Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
      and his courts with praise!
      Give thanks to him; bless his name!
      (Psalm 100:4 ESV)
      Thanksgiving and praise will help you focus your mind on God instead of on yourself. When this happens your prayer life will be much better.
      The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
      Leonard Ravenhill

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

Comment

God's word says God hears a believers prayer and that must settle it in our mind. We must choose to believe the truth of what God says when He says He hears our prayers we must not let our feelings cause us to doubt God's Word.

Comment

Apostle, I can't help but think how wise you are to post so personal a concern. Prayer and bible study are of great benefit, but the rubber has to meet the road at some point. I too converted very young, so I feel like I've been a Christian "my whole life." Rather than suggest to you what may work for you, I'll tell you things that I have done, that I believe have helped me. One concern is that my prayers are centered on my world as I have built it up in my mind and I feel I must relate to it. I try to keep in mind that God must see the world in a much more realistic way. So when I pray to God, and suggest solutions as to how He can fix my situation, I'm probably not suggesting very good ideas in the first place. So my biggest need is to recognize the hand of God which no doubt contains solutions that are far better than anything I can suggest. If that is the case, if I have a problem, I can ask that God would take it, and solve it in a far better way than anything I could think to ask. I may simply offer my solution too, but now I'm 85% expecting God's better solution and only 15% hoping for mine. It's funny how my prayers are almost always answer when I keep this in mind.

With respect to feeling the presence of God, I need to remember that God was not created by man to fill a void. God created man to glorify Him. There are two main things we need to bear in mind, that we need to glorify Him for. He is Holy or set apart, both in His transcendence ontological holiness, and in His Goodness or Moral Holiness. He never does that which ought not be done; and always does that which His Holiness suggests should always be done, and otherwise does that which is Divine will chooses. The second is that God is love. I happen to be a day age creationist, so I believe God took 13.7 billion years to create for us this nice place to live. What kind of loving patience is that, to embark on such a labor of love? The water God placed here on earth no doubt came from the ort cloud which is so far away that our voyager satellite has not yet reached it. The richest man who ever live didn't have enough money to go there and return with even a single glass of water to drink; yet I have never suffered thirst. Why? Because of God. That next glass of water I will drink, in a real sense is worth more that all the riches in the world, and God paid for that, for me. Have I even thanked Him for the last glass I had?

I didn't create God to fill an empty place in my life, God created me, and anticipated me, and has been working to accommodate me for literally billions of years. At this point you will simply have to trust me that tears are streaming down my cheeks. When was the last time I thanked Him for a gift so beautiful as a glass of water. This is just a single reflection about one small blessing in which God confronts me as my Creator. But God is not just my Creator He is my Ruler.

Colossians 1:17 tells me that God holds all things together. Nothing I have is not held together every moment of my possession of it by God Himself. Every family member I hold dear, every friend in which I confide, every person whoever helped me on my way. When was the last time I thanked God for all of that. God is my ruler yet for all that blessing I have violated His law and His holiness. When was the last time I thanked Him for that? And considering that I have violated my Creator and Ruler in so many ways, I am confronted by God my Redeemer. I was created in His image and for that reason had an absolute obligation never to violate His holiness. He is my Sovereign Ruler and I thereby was under a solemn obligation never to violate His laws. What did I do? I violated both His holiness, and His law creating a fundamental contradiction a cancer in the very heart of his beautiful creation and realm. Did He cut me out and execute me as the cancer or traitor that I truly was? No. He took the wrath of damnation upon Himself, so that I could go free, but not just free, to come into not only His fellowship but His family. I hope you get the idea. If I start fulfilling my purpose, which is to glorify Him, all of a sudden, I discover that empty place is filled with the purpose God made me for. I hope my experience can be of some benefit to you too. God bless you Apostle.

In Christ,

Thistle

Test all things; hold fast that which is good. --1 Thessalonians 5:21

Comment

Originally posted by Joe O View Post
            Sorry Sean. I can relate. As far as prayer goes I think that what you pray about is important and that the Lord's prayer in Matthew 6 is a good template. Gives it to God. What you said reminds me of Ecclesiastes 12:13 and Galatians 6:2. That's our purpose. But for you to feel that sense of purpose and overcome this negativity you have to get back in touch with God's love. I like 1 John 4:18 perfect love is the solution. And for this to happen you have to delight yourself in the Lord like it says in Psalm 37:4. So I think you need more joy in your life that brings you closer to Him. I've observed this truth during my life and just as it's helped me I think it'll help you. Ultimately we can't rely on our feelings or our works to know how God feels about us but having that joy is important after all it's a fruit of the Spirit and the faith. What brings you joy?
            Thank you for your reply, Joe. I actually didn't know about those verses for our purpose, thanks for giving those. Yeah, I think maybe the problem is that I'm not delighting myself in the Lord enough, and I think I definitely do need to get back in touch with his perfect love. What brings me joy? Well, recently I made a very good online friend from Turkey who gives me joy, we used to talk everyday actually, but recently she's been really busy, and hasn't been on much lately. Then of course, seeing my family happy makes me happy also, and talking with them at times, and sometimes just reading the Bible makes me happy, and even just knowing God. I guess those are the things that give me joy. I'm sure there are other things, but I just can't think of them now. Can I just ask, how do you delight yourself in the Lord?
            "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." - Galatians 6:14

Comment

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              Prayer is more than asking God for things. Among other things it involves praising God and thanking him for what he has done for us. I have a suggestion. The next time you pray, instead of asking God for something think about all the good things in your life and thank God for them. Then perhaps you should think of the unpleasant things in your life and thank god for them because God has brought them into your life for your good.
              Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
              (Romans 5:3-5 ESV)
              If you spend time thanking God you might find that you are beginning to praise him.
              Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
              and his courts with praise!
              Give thanks to him; bless his name!
              (Psalm 100:4 ESV)
              Thanksgiving and praise will help you focus your mind on God instead of on yourself. When this happens your prayer life will be much better.
              Thanks for your reply, theophilus. Okay, I'll try and give thanks more and focus more on him rather than myself.

Comment

Originally posted by GISMYS View Post
                God's word says God hears a believers prayer and that must settle it in our mind. We must choose to believe the truth of what God says when He says He hears our prayers we must not let our feelings cause us to doubt God's Word.
                Okay, GISMYS, I'll try not to let my feelings get the better of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thistle View Post
                  Apostle, I can't help but think how wise you are to post so personal a concern. Prayer and bible study are of great benefit, but the rubber has to meet the road at some point. I too converted very young, so I feel like I've been a Christian "my whole life." Rather than suggest to you what may work for you, I'll tell you things that I have done, that I believe have helped me. One concern is that my prayers are centered on my world as I have built it up in my mind and I feel I must relate to it. I try to keep in mind that God must see the world in a much more realistic way. So when I pray to God, and suggest solutions as to how He can fix my situation, I'm probably not suggesting very good ideas in the first place. So my biggest need is to recognize the hand of God which no doubt contains solutions that are far better than anything I can suggest. If that is the case, if I have a problem, I can ask that God would take it, and solve it in a far better way than anything I could think to ask. I may simply offer my solution too, but now I'm 85% expecting God's better solution and only 15% hoping for mine. It's funny how my prayers are almost always answer when I keep this in mind.

With respect to feeling the presence of God, I need to remember that God was not created by man to fill a void. God created man to glorify Him. There are two main things we need to bear in mind, that we need to glorify Him for. He is Holy or set apart, both in His transcendence ontological holiness, and in His Goodness or Moral Holiness. He never does that which ought not be done; and always does that which His Holiness suggests should always be done, and otherwise does that which is Divine will chooses. The second is that God is love. I happen to be a day age creationist, so I believe God took 13.7 billion years to create for us this nice place to live. What kind of loving patience is that, to embark on such a labor of love? The water God placed here on earth no doubt came from the ort cloud which is so far away that our voyager satellite has not yet reached it. The richest man who ever live didn't have enough money to go there and return with even a single glass of water to drink; yet I have never suffered thirst. Why? Because of God. That next glass of water I will drink, in a real sense is worth more that all the riches in the world, and God paid for that, for me. Have I even thanked Him for the last glass I had?

I didn't create God to fill an empty place in my life, God created me, and anticipated me, and has been working to accommodate me for literally billions of years. At this point you will simply have to trust me that tears are streaming down my cheeks. When was the last time I thanked Him for a gift so beautiful as a glass of water. This is just a single reflection about one small blessing in which God confronts me as my Creator. But God is not just my Creator He is my Ruler.

Colossians 1:17 tells me that God holds all things together. Nothing I have is not held together every moment of my possession of it by God Himself. Every family member I hold dear, every friend in which I confide, every person whoever helped me on my way. When was the last time I thanked God for all of that. God is my ruler yet for all that blessing I have violated His law and His holiness. When was the last time I thanked Him for that? And considering that I have violated my Creator and Ruler in so many ways, I am confronted by God my Redeemer. I was created in His image and for that reason had an absolute obligation never to violate His holiness. He is my Sovereign Ruler and I thereby was under a solemn obligation never to violate His laws. What did I do? I violated both His holiness, and His law creating a fundamental contradiction a cancer in the very heart of his beautiful creation and realm. Did He cut me out and execute me as the cancer or traitor that I truly was? No. He took the wrath of damnation upon Himself, so that I could go free, but not just free, to come into not only His fellowship but His family. I hope you get the idea. If I start fulfilling my purpose, which is to glorify Him, all of a sudden, I discover that empty place is filled with the purpose God made me for. I hope my experience can be of some benefit to you too. God bless you Apostle.

In Christ,

Thistle
                  Thank you, Thistle, I appreciate you sharing that with me. I think my problem is that whenever bad things happen in my life, I usually blame God for them, and get upset with him about them. But I know I shouldn't do that, and I'll try to stop it. I'll try and trust in God more, and glorify him, like you have.
                  Last edited by Apostle; 07-22-15, 04:52 AM.

Comment

When you find purpose you will no longer desire to want truth, if you can't find purpose desire to learn what purpose is and it will find you.

Comment

Thank you, Thistle, I appreciate you sharing that with me. I think my problem is that whenever bad things happen in my life, I usually blame God for them, and get upset with him about them. But I know I shouldn't do that, and I'll try to stop it. I'll try and trust in God more, and glorify him, like you have.
                      Yes, the problem of pain, or bad things in life, as you say, are very difficult. We get a real sense of that when we read Job. Things like natural disasters, grounded in fallen creation, are hard because we have to wait for the New Creation to be rid of them. The consequences of our own foolishness are hard because they inspire guilt. Only good theology, and repentance, help here. Pain resulting from injustice, we must wait for Judgment day to correct. And pain for Christ, we can happily look to his example. This may in fact be the easiest pain of all to take.

But the pain of disappointment in failing our own plans, that one requires looking to God's plan. And doing a right thing we know is in Gods will, like glorifying God, can help here.

Test all things; hold fast that which is good. --1 Thessalonians 5:21

Comment

Feelings are emotions based on your carnal nature. You shouldn't base your relationship with God on feelings because being an old lady I know that you don't always feel good and feelings can be deceitful as well.

Jesus quoted David from Psalm 22 Jesus felt abandoned by God, he knows how you feel. Take strength from that, it is wise to do so. Have you been crucified like Jesus? Yet you feel as lost as he did as he died for all our sins. He took that abandonment upon himself for us.

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
                        Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?
                        2 O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer,
                        and by night, but I find no rest.

Perhaps your prayers aren't being answered because you are not asking for the right things.

James 4: 4 What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? 2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. 4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”? 6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

11 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. 12 There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

You may just be going through a growth period in your life. The Holy Spirit is leading you because he has shown you what you lack. You are working and praying and looking for proof of God's love for you. Stop asking what you can do for God and thank Him for what he has done for you. Then be quiet and listen. Ignore your feelings, ignore the feeling that you need to do something, just listen for that still small voice and trust that you will hear him when he speaks. It may not be instantaneous. It may be a struggle, but put your faith in Him that the Holy Spirit will lead you closer to Jesus. Remember we do those works that God has planned for us.

Eph: 4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

There are things that God has planned for you to do. Things that will build you up and glorify him. You don't have to plan them. You will know them when they are there. There are works we do in our everyday life we don't even think about. Luther said something (don't have the exact quote but this is a good rendition) A parent changing their infants diaper with love is doing the work of God.

So stop trying so hard, the Holy Spirit will lead you to your goal, remember that feelings are false and that Jesus understands exactly what you are feeling now.
                        Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
                        but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

There is not a single one of us that have felt the same way in our walk with Christ at some point, so you are not alone. That is where our good fight of faith comes in. We are in a spiritual battle and the enemy is hoping to make us throw in the towel by getting us down, being able to block our blessings because of our not walking upright and being tempted to question God and His Word, or living in un-forgiveness towards God or a man perhaps, or stealing our faith in God with the things we see around us, to hopefully cause us to give up our good fight of faith and fall away.
                          We are not to walk by what we see, feel, touch, smell, hear or it seems in our natural, We walk by faith that God is going to give us the victory IF we keep being faithful to His Word, thankful for the air we breath, the children, spouse, family, job, food that God has allowed us.
                          And we especially are to cherish and be thankful for His Word whom He sent us and that transforms us when we apply God's Word's of wisdom to our lives. God says to, Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all other things shall be added unto us.

God needs us to renew our minds to His way of doing things in this earth... that is when He hears us, and blesses us. Also, if you have anything against anyone that you will not forgive, Do So NOW! For that is the #1 blessing blocker, for how can we expect any forgiveness from God for our short comings, when we want to make another person suffer for what they have done to us? This would be called a hypocrite.
                          Ask God to reveal to you what it is that you are doing or need to change that is blocking your prayers and blessings.
                          And then wait and listen for the answer, but harden not your heart when He reveals to you the hidden things that He needs you to repent of or see for change in our life.
                          Our Father is a good Father who will not reward us good for evil. He raises His children up in integrity and righteousness. We must sow into others lives what it is we are hoping to spring up in our life. For we are in seedtime and harvest, meaning what we do for others, God is going to produce in our life as well and we shall eat the fruit of what we have planted in life rather it is sweet or bitter, it is Just! For we shall reap what we have sown.
                          Each of us have different issues within us that God needs to prune, weed, separate, fertilize, water more, stake up if need be, to help us to grow up straight and tall as a child of the MOST HIGH. He has our best interest at heart.

The LORD lives in the praises of His people!
                          So when discouragement and doubt try to slip in to spoil your joy with fear, doubt and unbelief! Just open your mouth and proclaim what the Will of God says and take it as for YOU down in your heart and in your mind for it is The Truth for who so ever will believe it is, for God is no respecter of persons, He is only moved by the faith you show in His Word of promises:

Ps 112:4 Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.

5 A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion.

6 Surely he shall not be moved for ever: the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.

7 He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.

8 His heart is established, he shall not be afraid,
                          until he see his desire upon his enemies.
                          KJV

Heb 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
                          KJV

God's Will, is His Word that He has given us to live by~

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
                          KJV
                          Last edited by afaithfulone4u; 07-22-15, 01:20 PM.
                          The purpose of my posts are not to cause bicker or division, but to show truth from the scripture for edifying of the soul. It does not matter what we think, it is what God's Word says that matters.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, Joe. I actually didn't know about those verses for our purpose, thanks for giving those. Yeah, I think maybe the problem is that I'm not delighting myself in the Lord enough, and I think I definitely do need to get back in touch with his perfect love. What brings me joy? Well, recently I made a very good online friend from Turkey who gives me joy, we used to talk everyday actually, but recently she's been really busy, and hasn't been on much lately. Then of course, seeing my family happy makes me happy also, and talking with them at times, and sometimes just reading the Bible makes me happy, and even just knowing God. I guess those are the things that give me joy. I'm sure there are other things, but I just can't think of them now. Can I just ask, how do you delight yourself in the Lord?
                            You're welcome Sean. It's something we can all work on. I'm glad those things bring you joy and that you have them in your life. I can relate. Things like creature comforts hobbies accomplishments and the five love languages bring me joy just as they bring others joy. But when I think about what brings me joy the Word stands out. It's stood out in the recent years of my life. The Word (both the knowledge and the person) gives me joy and purpose even though I fall short. So to answer your question I do it and I think one does it by really internalizing the Lord similar to what the Psalmist does in Psalm 119. Leaning on Him and His goodness. Acknowledging Him and trying to please Him. Making it emotional and practical. I'm reminded of John 15:5 Galatians 6:2 and Colossians 1:21-23. We lean on His love which we in turn manifest and it's a continuous effort. I think you already know about this and practicals such as finding good in a bad situation. I know it's just doing it that can be tough. Changes might need to be made. Again it's something we can all work on. We can always do better. We try. But whether we succeed or fail similar to what Proverbs 21:31 and 1 Corinthians 15:57 say the Lord is victorious. And that's reassuring. I like what 1 John says feelings are powerful and sin is powerful but God is more powerful. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post
                              Feelings are emotions based on your carnal nature. You shouldn't base your relationship with God on feelings because being an old lady I know that you don't always feel good and feelings can be deceitful as well.

Jesus quoted David from Psalm 22 Jesus felt abandoned by God, he knows how you feel. Take strength from that, it is wise to do so. Have you been crucified like Jesus? Yet you feel as lost as he did as he died for all our sins. He took that abandonment upon himself for us.

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
                              Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?
                              2 O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer,
                              and by night, but I find no rest.

Perhaps your prayers aren't being answered because you are not asking for the right things.

James 4: 4 What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? 2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. 4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”? 6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

11 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. 12 There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

You may just be going through a growth period in your life. The Holy Spirit is leading you because he has shown you what you lack. You are working and praying and looking for proof of God's love for you. Stop asking what you can do for God and thank Him for what he has done for you. Then be quiet and listen. Ignore your feelings, ignore the feeling that you need to do something, just listen for that still small voice and trust that you will hear him when he speaks. It may not be instantaneous. It may be a struggle, but put your faith in Him that the Holy Spirit will lead you closer to Jesus. Remember we do those works that God has planned for us.

Eph: 4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

There are things that God has planned for you to do. Things that will build you up and glorify him. You don't have to plan them. You will know them when they are there. There are works we do in our everyday life we don't even think about. Luther said something (don't have the exact quote but this is a good rendition) A parent changing their infants diaper with love is doing the work of God.

So stop trying so hard, the Holy Spirit will lead you to your goal, remember that feelings are false and that Jesus understands exactly what you are feeling now.
                              Thank you, you're right. I'll try not base my relationship with God on my feelings. When I pray, I don't think I ask for the wrong things, but I'll keep that in mind nevertheless. I didn't think about the Holy Spirit showing me what I lacked until now, I think that might be possible. Maybe God intended for that to happen so I can seek him more. Well, I hope it was for that reason anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X