Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Why do we need God?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we need God?

I have a simple question and nearly all Christians who I ask give the same answer. My question is: Why do I need God?

First of all, I love my life, I love my wife, I feel that I live in a moral and positive manner, and I feel that my life has richness and fullness in it. Honestly, I feel fortunate for what I have in life and I feel grateful for my job, my house, my wife, and my child. With that being said, I don't feel like anything is missing from my life. So, at the end of the day, why would I need God in my life at all? I am by no means perfect, but honestly God causes so much confusion and you are left with more questions than you started with. Not only that, but the entire Christian faith relies on the presupposition that the bible is inerrant and the God is who he says he is in the bible. I can't just accept a presupposition without any grounds. So again, why would I go out of my way to believe in a God that will judge me for not believing in him, when on the other hand, I actually enjoy my life, love my family and job, and I get along well in life.

Also, please don't say "Well, if you want a finite and subpar experience, go right ahead, that's your choice, more power to you." Just because one does not believe in God does not make one's existence subpar, and most certainly does not make it finite.

This is a genuine and honest question.

First of all you are being deceived as I was once upon a time... I THOUGHT, that I was a good person in MY eyes, but compared to God's ways, I was only deceiving myself!
    God created us and is our Father who knows the ways that are good for us.
    Everything you go through in life, is Judged by Him, some receive blessing, some a curse for their actions. And that is why some seem to live in a life of hell, other's are ok for now and others do better than other's yet we are all natural born sinners and will do what is necessary to save our OWN flesh.
    If you have children, do you think it wise to guide them to the best of your ability and do you want them to love, Need and respect you? So does our Father in heaven whom is far more wise than man whom He created for Himself to have a family.
    God warns us about leaning on our own understanding, because without God's Spirit, we do fall for temptations that cause harm and loss to other's around us, no matter how good you believe yourself to be, we are all has filthy rags. God's Spirit, when we receive the Love of God being His Son The Word, will lead and guide us into the good ways of God that will teach us truly good ways that God sees that man can not.
    Many people come to help the poor or disaster victims and in front of men and cameras they are ever so helpful and generous.. oh such NICE people. Then when they are out of the spotlight and no man sees them, their heart's motives and their hidden actions reveal the True person that they are and God sees this very well!
    Might I add, that without God's Spirit we are dead as soon as we are born, yet we begin to decay once we are conceived because as we grow, we are aging.
    We were supposed to live forever, but out of God's mercy once we fell and died to His Spirit, He gave us Time in 24hr. days so that we would not suffer forever.

Prov 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
    KJV

Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

7 And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

8 But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.
    KJV

Prov 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

8 It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
    KJV

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
    KJV
    Last edited by afaithfulone4u; 04-25-18, 06:53 PM.
    The purpose of my posts are not to cause bicker or division, but to show truth from the scripture for edifying of the soul. It does not matter what we think, it is what God's Word says that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by OniSoldier View Post
      I have a simple question and nearly all Christians who I ask give the same answer. My question is: Why do I need God?

First of all, I love my life, I love my wife, I feel that I live in a moral and positive manner, and I feel that my life has richness and fullness in it. Honestly, I feel fortunate for what I have in life and I feel grateful for my job, my house, my wife, and my child. With that being said, I don't feel like anything is missing from my life. So, at the end of the day, why would I need God in my life at all?
      I am by no means perfect.[/quote]

And that's the issue, of course. You're NOT perfect, and neither am I (or anybody else - except for one).

And YES people can and DO live a "Good life" love their wife and kids, maybe even their jobs, maybe revel in their property, and are generously philanthropic - WITHOUT paying any attention to God. but that's not the point.

We're going to die physically. I'm 75, and so maybe closer to that inevitable event than you are. but THEN WHAT?? If you're into annihilationism, maybe you're comfortable with "WHEN IT'S OVER, IT'S over - PULL UP THE DIRT BLANKET AND PASS OUT OF EXISTENCE" - if that's even an option.

IF, HOWEVER, there IS an afterlife conforming to "Heaven / HELL" as presented in the Bible, then NOT WINDING UP in the wrong place for ETERNITY becomes the ONLY really important thing in the short term of physical life, so that things will not get immeasurably WORSE when physical life is over, and AFTER-life takes over.

God has made a way for you to enter into heavenly joys with your family and Him. That, in a nutshell is why you need God.

Comment

... Why do I need God? ... This is a genuine and honest question.
        1) If you existed forever, then why would you need anything else? You would not need anything. You'd not have any needs at all, no air, no food, no gravity, no heat, no light. Your essence would be indestructible. Is that what you are? Have you existed forever? Are you indestructible?

Or...

2) If you spontaneously poofed into existence from nothing -- alone, on your own, and exist like in #1, then why would you need anything else? Did you poof yourself into an eternal existence?

Here is another question: Since you obviously do not need God, why do you need to talk to lowly people about your problems... like this one?

Here is another question: Why did you post that stuff here instead of over on the atheism forum? Did you lose your way? Or is it intentional? If it was intentional, then tell us what you intended.

All of the above are genuine and honest questions in response to yours.

Mouser Larry Roy: "yippee ki yay"
        “... see the loonies in their cages… are they not witty… how much amusement they afford… ours is a human world, theirs is a bestial world… " Bedlam

Comment

Why do you need God?? Will you want and need God when you have cancer,stroke,heart attack ,car crash, attacked by evil or will you still ask why do I need God?? You may get the real answer before you want it!.

Comment

Why do we need God?

First of all, I love my life, I love my wife, I feel that I live in a moral and positive manner, and I feel that my life has richness and fullness in it. Honestly, I feel fortunate for what I have in life and I feel grateful for my job, my house, my wife, and my child. With that being said, I don't feel like anything is missing from my life. So, at the end of the day, why would I need God in my life at all? I am by no means perfect, but honestly God causes so much confusion and you are left with more questions than you started with. Not only that, but the entire Christian faith relies on the presupposition that the bible is inerrant and the God is who he says he is in the bible. I can't just accept a presupposition without any grounds. So again, why would I go out of my way to believe in a God that will judge me for not believing in him, when on the other hand, I actually enjoy my life, love my family and job, and I get along well in life.

Also, please don't say "Well, if you want a finite and subpar experience, go right ahead, that's your choice, more power to you." Just because one does not believe in God does not make one's existence subpar, and most certainly does not make it finite.

This is a genuine and honest question.
            Clarify the question for me, Oni.

If the part in the Bible about God holding the universe together is correct then we need Him simply for sheer existence to continue, but I'm betting that's not what you're asking. Or is it?

There's lots of secular research around confirming the value of a belief in God and/or a religious life. How much better would that research be if there actually was a God?

And I think you're confused about the nature of presuppositions: they are - by definition - pre-supposed. They occur in people's thinking as the unconsidered grounds of their beliefs.

You want to know "Do 'we' need God?" How about we start with the premise "God exists." Can you understand that no one can prove that claim? It is necessarily a condition accepted by faith, but not uninformed faith. But before I get into all let me ask you that simple question: Do you believe a God exists? Some God? Any kind of God?
            All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

I am by no means perfect.
              And that's the issue, of course. You're NOT perfect, and neither am I (or anybody else - except for one).

And YES people can and DO live a "Good life" love their wife and kids, maybe even their jobs, maybe revel in their property, and are generously philanthropic - WITHOUT paying any attention to God. but that's not the point.

We're going to die physically. I'm 75, and so maybe closer to that inevitable event than you are. but THEN WHAT?? If you're into annihilationism, maybe you're comfortable with "WHEN IT'S OVER, IT'S over - PULL UP THE DIRT BLANKET AND PASS OUT OF EXISTENCE" - if that's even an option.

IF, HOWEVER, there IS an afterlife conforming to "Heaven / HELL" as presented in the Bible, then NOT WINDING UP in the wrong place for ETERNITY becomes the ONLY really important thing in the short term of physical life, so that things will not get immeasurably WORSE when physical life is over, and AFTER-life takes over.

God has made a way for you to enter into heavenly joys with your family and Him. That, in a nutshell is why you need God.

[/QUOTE]

That is all true only IF you perceive the God of Christianity to be true as well as the Bible. However, because none of us can actually observe the afterlife, perhaps there is more to it than just Christianity's perspective. What I am saying is that maybe there is more to the afterlife than the Bible explains. Again, just because one does not believe does not mean he or she will not have an enjoyable afterlife.
              Last edited by OniSoldier; 04-26-18, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josheb View Post
                Clarify the question for me, Oni.

If the part in the Bible about God holding the universe together is correct then we need Him simply for sheer existence to continue, but I'm betting that's not what you're asking. Or is it?

There's lots of secular research around confirming the value of a belief in God and/or a religious life. How much better would that research be if there actually was a God?

And I think you're confused about the nature of presuppositions: they are - by definition - pre-supposed. They occur in people's thinking as the unconsidered grounds of their beliefs.

You want to know "Do 'we' need God?" How about we start with the premise "God exists." Can you understand that no one can prove that claim? It is necessarily a condition accepted by faith, but not uninformed faith. But before I get into all let me ask you that simple question: Do you believe a God exists? Some God? Any kind of God?
                I was raised Christian all of my life and I have earnestly sought God and tried to have a relationship with him, but it ended up being exhausting, confusing, and worrisome. I also got tired of the same Christian responses to my questions, and I found that at the end of the day, no matter how much you research or try to discover, it still requires faith to beleive, and that is where I struggle.

Today, I have simply just not thought about God, and I find life much more enjoyable. It isn't that I indulge in sinful behavior, I lead pretty much the same life because of instilled Christian morals, but I really don't feel much different, in fact, I feel better. I guess this is mostly due to feelings of God not communicating, not answering prayers, and just overall confusion of trying to understand God, it was just tiresome.

So, I am open to the idea of God existing, I just think that Christianity and the corresponding doctrines are just a sliver, or an attempt at trying to understand God, which at the end of the day, requires one to accept that the bible is inerrant, which is too hard to believe for me.

Comment

Originally posted by GISMYS View Post
                  Why do you need God?? Will you want and need God when you have cancer,stroke,heart attack ,car crash, attacked by evil or will you still ask why do I need God?? You may get the real answer before you want it!.
                  Well, using violence or the worst possible situation, or dying to reason why one needs God is not a very good argument or reason.

Also, why do Christians assume that only their afterlife is the true definition of what is after death? The truth is that none of us have any idea. For all you know, I could see you in the afterlife at some "heavenly" realm, or some altered state of conscious existence. Just because I don't believe does NOT MEAN that I will not have a positive and enjoyable afterlife.

Comment

That is all true only IF you perceive the God of Christianity to be true as well as the Bible.
                    That, of course is a Biblical "given": Heb 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him."

If you choose to select a DIFFERENT definition of reality, then the same rules apply: "he that cometh to Agamemnon Demetrius Depopulous must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

There is, however, only one absolute truth, and anything OTHER THAN THAT is hot air.

What I am saying is that "MAYBE" there is more to the afterlife than the Bible explains.
                    OR - "MAYBE" there's not. Given the alternatives, AND the evidence supplied to me by God (of Christianity), that's not a "maybe" that I would personally put any weight on.

YOU, of course, can do as YOU PLEASE.

Comment

Originally posted by noemail001 View Post

1) If you existed forever, then why would you need anything else? You would not need anything. You'd not have any needs at all, no air, no food, no gravity, no heat, no light. Your essence would be indestructible. Is that what you are? Have you existed forever? Are you indestructible?

Or...

2) If you spontaneously poofed into existence from nothing -- alone, on your own, and exist like in #1, then why would you need anything else? Did you poof yourself into an eternal existence?

Here is another question: Since you obviously do not need God, why do you need to talk to lowly people about your problems... like this one?

Here is another question: Why did you post that stuff here instead of over on the atheism forum? Did you lose your way? Or is it intentional? If it was intentional, then tell us what you intended.

All of the above are genuine and honest questions in response to yours.

Lol! I am not talking to lowly people about my "problems." Additionally, I don't need to talk to anyone about what you are observing as "problems." I don't consider anyone to be lowly here, nor anywhere really, or at least I try not to (we all have our subconscious prejudices and flaws). I don't even consider this a problem! I simply wanted to see some Christian perspectives to this situation: living in content without the belief of the Judeo-Christian God.

Yes, I lost my way, and after losing my way, I began to ask why we even come to a place where we feel that we "need," God. I have a few answers of my own, but I thought it would be nice to get the opinions of others.

Did you ever answer the question or have you just been asking more questions? It's hard for me to tell.

Also, the #1 and #2 questions that you asked about are copies of the exact question that I asked, but with different wording.

You ask why one would need anything else.

That's what I am asking. If those pre-conditions you stated above are assumed, and one would not need anything else, then why would one "need" God?

I'm curious about opinions, not more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

That, of course is a Biblical "given": Heb 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him."

If you choose to select a DIFFERENT definition of reality, then the same rules apply: "he that cometh to Agamemnon Demetrius Depopulous must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

There is, however, only one absolute truth, and anything OTHER THAN THAT is hot air.

OR - "MAYBE" there's not. Given the alternatives, AND the evidence supplied to me by God (of Christianity), that's not a "maybe" that I would personally put any weight on.

YOU, of course, can do as YOU PLEASE.
                        That's the same response I hear from every Christian. "You can do as you please." So, the question was never answered.

Why would an individual need a relationship with God?

If you assume everything the Bible says is true, that's fantastic, but just because you or millions of people believe it, it does not make it true. So, based on your faith, you believe it to be true.

"There is, however, only one absolute truth, and anything OTHER THAN THAT is hot air."

This pushes non-believers away, and I hear it constantly from my family (all Christians). The thing is, one absolute truth (let's say in a different country on the other side of the Earth) can be much different than your absolute truth based on the belief that the Bible is totally true.

If one is happy, lives a moral life, and sees no need for God in their life, then I ask, why is it wrong that he or she does not accept the God of the Bible?

Comment

...I guess this is mostly due to feelings of God not communicating, not answering prayers, and just overall confusion of trying to understand God, it was just tiresome.

So, I am open to the idea of God existing, I just think that Christianity and the corresponding doctrines are just a sliver, or an attempt at trying to understand God, which at the end of the day, requires one to accept that the bible is inerrant, which is too hard to believe for me.
                          Well, maybe I can help with the problem of inerrancy and then maybe we can discuss the god problem.

First, the doctrine of inerrancy doesn't actually specify the Bible is without error. The doctrine explicitly stated the original writings in their original form are without error. No one says the Bible itself is perfect. Everyone acknowledges the problem of translation alone has caused us problems in understanding God's revelation to humanity.

So get it out of your mind the Bible has to be perfect.

It will take time and study to learn where the problem lie. You'll have to understand the problems with the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts, the differences between Alexandria and Greece, Greek and Latin, the Septuagint, and a whole lot of stuff beyond the scope of this op. Done correctly it is an enlightening experience that will confirm your faith, not deny it.... if you can build upon the premise "God exists."

You say you're open to the idea of a God existing. Good. Let's play around with this a little. I'd like to apply a logical construct to this part of the conversation, the "If..., the..., else..." equation. In other words, "If a God actually factually exists then certain things must be, or else we have reason to reject that particular god." Does that make sense?

Here's an example: If a God exists then that God cannot exist solely inside of the universe because if god existed solely inside the universe that god would be subject to all of the many limitations of the universe, including but not limited to time, space, gravity, etc. Does that make sense? Put in the language of most religions it would be worded in the context of "creation" not "universe: If a God exists then that God cannot exist solely inside of that which S/He/It created. This reveals the added contradiction ofhow does such a god exist at all if said god exists solely in the creation: where did s/he/it exist before creating creation if s/he/it exists solely in creatio?

Why is this useful or important?

Because we can instantly reject any theism that holds 1) the universe is all there is and 2) god exists solely within creation. That would instantly negate most pantheisms based on the law of non-contradiction.

Does that make sense? You with me so far? I hope this isn't too pedantic. I am only trying to clear up some of the confusion and give you at least an intellectual basis for consider what we might call the "God Hypothesis," of "God exists."

Let me know if this is helpful because there are a lot of logical necessities that can be seen in Christianity but nowhere else in any other theism or atheism. I can't take you all the way to God because it's impossible to prove God's existence but I can get you a fair way in a couple of different ways if you're really interested.

All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

That is all true only IF you perceive the God of Christianity to be true as well as the Bible. However, because none of us can actually observe the afterlife, perhaps there is more to it than just Christianity's perspective. What I am saying is that maybe there is more to the afterlife than the Bible explains. Again, just because one does not believe does not mean he or she will not have an enjoyable afterlife.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't answer why one needs God, that answers why YOU need God. If one knows their time has come for them to pass on, yet they are unsure of where they are going, why does that then mean they should believe in God so that they go to heaven? There may be an afterlife that is not what is stated in the bible. The truth is that it is all unknown, and that the Christian uses their faith to comfort them in death so that they may believe they really know where they are going. Unfortunately, none of us really know what comes after death. I mean sure, you have faith in what the bible says, but do you really, really know? No, because if you did, there wouldn't be a point in having faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Josheb View Post
                              Well, maybe I can help with the problem of inerrancy and then maybe we can discuss the god problem.

First, the doctrine of inerrancy doesn't actually specify the Bible is without error. The doctrine explicitly stated the original writings in their original form are without error. No one says the Bible itself is perfect. Everyone acknowledges the problem of translation alone has caused us problems in understanding God's revelation to humanity.

So get it out of your mind the Bible has to be perfect.

It will take time and study to learn where the problem lie. You'll have to understand the problems with the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts, the differences between Alexandria and Greece, Greek and Latin, the Septuagint, and a whole lot of stuff beyond the scope of this op. Done correctly it is an enlightening experience that will confirm your faith, not deny it.... if you can build upon the premise "God exists."

You say you're open to the idea of a God existing. Good. Let's play around with this a little. I'd like to apply a logical construct to this part of the conversation, the "If..., the..., else..." equation. In other words, "If a God actually factually exists then certain things must be, or else we have reason to reject that particular god." Does that make sense?

Here's an example: If a God exists then that God cannot exist solely inside of the universe because if god existed solely inside the universe that god would be subject to all of the many limitations of the universe, including but not limited to time, space, gravity, etc. Does that make sense? Put in the language of most religions it would be worded in the context of "creation" not "universe: If a God exists then that God cannot exist solely inside of that which S/He/It created. This reveals the added contradiction ofhow does such a god exist at all if said god exists solely in the creation: where did s/he/it exist before creating creation if s/he/it exists solely in creatio?

Why is this useful or important?

Because we can instantly reject any theism that holds 1) the universe is all there is and 2) god exists solely within creation. That would instantly negate most pantheisms based on the law of non-contradiction.

Does that make sense? You with me so far? I hope this isn't too pedantic. I am only trying to clear up some of the confusion and give you at least an intellectual basis for consider what we might call the "God Hypothesis," of "God exists."

Let me know if this is helpful because there are a lot of logical necessities that can be seen in Christianity but nowhere else in any other theism or atheism. I can't take you all the way to God because it's impossible to prove God's existence but I can get you a fair way in a couple of different ways if you're really interested.
                              First of all, thanks for being so friendly and tactful in your writing.

Yes, what you are saying makes total sense to me.

However, you jump from the limitless God assumption straight into how we can use that assumption to reject any other form of theism. Which is a great process for defending the Christian faith and explaining why it would be one of the better religions to believe, but it kind of ignores the main question of why anyone actually needs to believe in God.

Trust me, I have done a lot of research into Christianity, God, Jesus, and like I said, there are too many questions, most of which have answers that are like repetitive uses of verses in the bible. Most questions I research (those that hindered my faith) lead me to more questions than when I started. Once I accepted that you can't intellectualize God, I understood that this is a religion that majorly revolves around faith, simply put. That's where I have always struggled, I just can't muster up faith, ad when I did, I couldn't keep it, even with reading the bible, seeking earnestly, and praying, at the end of the day, I would still be mentally exhausted because I was accepting something without having any sort of proof, especially because I never heard from God, felt that my prayers were never answered, and I just couldn't accept any of it.

So now, many months later (after giving up trying to believe and follow God) I feel good, I enjoy life, I have no complaints really, I am genuinely nice to people because I tend to see the good in everyone (or I try to as often as I can), and I feel perfectly fine. This lead me to wonder "Why does anyone actually need God?"

I am beginning to think that Christianity allows an individual to be comfortable with death, and i'm not knocking that at all, that's great for those who believe it.

Comment

Working...
                              X