Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

A Simple Question for Everyone!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Simple Question for Everyone!

Ido not know if this is the right forum for discussing this issue, but if not, I believe that the moderator will put it on the right question. My house needs repair [in fact], my church helps and houses for members and others who do not have much money. Last summer, I finally had the courage to ask my pastor to come to my house.

Over the years, I've grown several animals and some weather-related damage and a long history. My house is very bad. In fact, I'm very confused by the fact that someone comes. I need to finish work on the floor, but I also need to draw. My pastor told me last summer that he and the church will help, but nothing has happened since. Worse still, my cousin recently lost his job and may have to move in with us.

In the room where she was going to move, there was a serious damage from mold. I called him a few days ago, and he said it would be a "very big task" because they would separate all the drywall. The form is also toxic. With such great success, he said that they can not do this. He said that I should call my insurance company, and I did it, but they did not cover it. I do not know what to do next. I am concerned about the health of my family. I have an elderly mother who cares about me, so I do not want her to be sick.

I'm not angry or displeased, I understand that the church may not have financial assistance, I understand, but I can not deny that I'm disappointed. They did it for other families. I do not understand why they did not help my family. I want to ask him if the church can do something to help, because at that moment everything will be appreciated, but I almost feel that he is trying to avoid me. Does anyone know how I can approach him and talk to him about it? Please pray for me, my family and our situation.

Originally posted by jonathanm View Post
    Ido not know if this is the right forum for discussing this issue, but if not, I believe that the moderator will put it on the right question. My house needs repair [in fact], my church helps and houses for members and others who do not have much money. Last summer, I finally had the courage to ask my pastor to come to my house.

Over the years, I've grown several animals and some weather-related damage and a long history. My house is very bad. In fact, I'm very confused by the fact that someone comes. I need to finish work on the floor, but I also need to draw. My pastor told me last summer that he and the church will help, but nothing has happened since. Worse still, my cousin recently lost his job and may have to move in with us.

In the room where she was going to move, there was a serious damage from mold. I called him a few days ago, and he said it would be a "very big task" because they would separate all the drywall. The form is also toxic. With such great success, he said that they can not do this. He said that I should call my insurance company, and I did it, but they did not cover it. I do not know what to do next. I am concerned about the health of my family. I have an elderly mother who cares about me, so I do not want her to be sick.

I'm not angry or displeased, I understand that the church may not have financial assistance, I understand, but I can not deny that I'm disappointed. They did it for other families. I do not understand why they did not help my family. I want to ask him if the church can do something to help, because at that moment everything will be appreciated, but I almost feel that he is trying to avoid me. Does anyone know how I can approach him and talk to him about it? Please pray for me, my family and our situation.
    Do you work?? Have a job??

Comment

Do you work?? Do you have a job??

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GISMYS View Post
            No, Currently Not!

Comment

No, Currently Not!
              Why not??

Comment

By rights, the church is supposed to make sure that no CHRISTEN BROTHER/SISTER is in lack according to scripture, not going out into the heathen world and paying for their needs with the funds of other believer's. (We don't buy or bribe worshiper's for God).
                But God does require that we work and not be lazy, but again, Christian's should be hiring other believer's and not depend on those in the world. Better yet, work with your own hands and find a talent that God has given you to earn your living. Everyone has been given talents and abilities of some kind. And the greatest busy-ness is to love what you do, and is not considered work even if you do it for others and collect honest financial gains from it.

Acts 4:32 And the multitude of them that BELIEVED were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.

34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,

35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,

37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
                KJV

2 Cor 8:13 For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened:

14 But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality:

15 As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.
                KJV

1 Thess 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

12 That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.
                KJV

But most of all, God says to not worry about things, but to worry to seek the ways of God and He will bring the things you need to you. Meaning, don't lie, cheat, steal to get your needs met, but keep your eye on Jesus, walking in the Word and God promises to provide your needs. He knows what you have need of, but ask in faith, trust that He is going to bring it to pass.

Matt 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
                KJV

The purpose of my posts are not to cause bicker or division, but to show truth from the scripture for edifying of the soul. It does not matter what we think, it is what God's Word says that matters.

Comment

A Simple Question for Everyone.

Does anyone know how I can approach him and talk to him about it?
                  If all you need to do is talk (that is what was explicitly and specifically stipulated in the one single simple question of this op) then just do it.

First, put down your needs on a piece of paper. List them in the form of goals or objectives: I need....

The wallboard (and probably carpet) removed from one bedroom.
                  The studs in that room removed and replaced (so I will also need nails and someone with a saw).
                  The wallboard will have to be replaced, primed, and painted.
                  The subflooring will then have to be recovered (inexpensive tile will suffice).

The source of the moisture causing the mold will have to be discovered and addressed (don't know what that is).

Be polite and respectful. Expect a defensive or otherwise avoidant response but do not become defensive yourself. Simply repeat back what he said and then ask him what he thinks the two of you can do about that. If he responds affirmative the first words out of your mouth should be "Thank you," and then put some practice behavior to it. If he's still resistant then ask if you can have permission to speak to the congregation about your needs.

That being said, Jonathon, do you want a fuller scriptural answer to this op's inquiry? If so it begins with stewardship. The way this op reads it appears you haven't been a good steward of the property and should not expect others to fix the results of your neglect. I can write a great deal about the problem and the solutions if you like.

The next problem isn't about the physical house, but about the lack of employment. Men should work. It is what we are made for and an existential part of our creation. Furthermore, NT precepts condition congregational giving on work and generally work that rehabilitative and fruitbearing. I can write about this, too, if you like.

Next, the OT guidelines for a mold-infested house was to have it emptied and then cleaned and left abandoned for a brief period of time (I believe it was one week) and then re-inspected. If the mold returned the house was to be torn down. This is the law that Jesus was applying when he entered the temple the first time and chased out the money changers. A day later he found his Father's house re-infested and condemned to be destroyed. So you should threat the problems you're having with your house as a spiritual problem, not just an earthly, physical problem. Be very sober and serious. Take action so your house is not condemned. I trust you understand if the local municipality finds out about the mold they will require its eradication or condemn the house.

I know this because a house I own in south of Seattle was found to be moldy and it cost me several thousands of dollars in repairs and a few more in lost rent to abate the problem.

Lastly, the soul issues and the spiritual issues need to be addressed. First within yourself and then within the leadership of the congregation. "Leaders" who make promises too big to keep are not leaders. "Leaders who make promises they don't keep aren't leaders, either. People who follow non-leading leaders get what they deserve. Work on why it is you're not working, why it is you're not stewarding the gifts God has rovided in your life, and why it is you rely on others inordinately and why it is you rely on the unreliable. If and when congregants do show up to help consider what grace (or compensation) you will offer in return. What service can you provide those who serve?

I hope you'll take this blunt exhortation as encouragement, not criticism (Pr. 27:6).
                  All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Working...
                  X